Home
The one I'm looking at is a clean 2-owner with no accidents, damage or rust and has 91k miles. Not sure if its had a new time chain yet so I'll just assume I'll need to do that at 100+k miles but its only $6500 so I feel like that leaves me some $$ for PM items.

It drives nice and the AWD would be a plus for my daughter compared to her FWD Honda Civic. Would like to hear your experience with the 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i though just to make sure there aren't any issues I need to consider.
I thought that only Lesbians, Eco Terrorists and PETA members were allowed to buy a Subaru.
it gets good reviews.

drove one as a rental for a week. the ride was good, mileage was about average 18 mpg. about the norm for the time.

i did not like the fact that you need to be careful what you left in the open at motels when i was renting it.

i was working at the time and rented different vehicles weekly traveling for work.

it would ave been in the middle of vehicles that i rented.

it should last your daughter another 200K miles if it is taken care of.
We had an outback for a few years. Switched to Toyota sequoia's for the passenger capacity. Wife still says the Subaru was the best car she ever owned.
$6,500 with 90,000 miles I'd buy one for my daughter in a second. Young girl in a Subaru Forester cut in front of my wife going 25mph earlier this year, the Sequoia rolled the Subaru over on it's roof but the girl came out without a scratch.
Disregard the LGBT b.s.
Look up head gaskets. may be newer ones are fixed. Otherwise decent t little cars.
They handle awesome in the snow too.
Get a COEXIST sticker for it. grin

Feel the Bern lol
You can find a low milage Camry for that,...and she won't get hit on by big old gals with flat top haircuts if she's driving a Camry.
A buddy bought one for his wife. Pretty sure Subaru didn't have them in mind when they built the car, the thing drove lots of miles on remote blasted rock logging roads. Pretty sure it was a 2010 not sure if that's the same as a 12 but it was 6 years old last I saw it and it hadn't missed a beat yet. Tough little cars.
Or have AWD and better safety rating. Im die hard Toyota but for my daughter, given the choice, i'd take AWD, and Subaru definitely has a better safety rating. If I was buying for my elderly father like bristoe, or retarded step brother like slum, I'd go Kia

Muff bumpers loooooooove Suburus.
My wife has been running a Subaru forester for 6 years. We absolutely love it. It's all we need for us and 1 kid.
Gets around great, easy on gas, no maintenance issues, etc.

I do get tired of hearing the dyke car shiit, but, whatever
Wife has a 14 Subaru Outback 2.5 no issues at all 75K on it, 28 to 32 MPG think its better built than my 2010 Honda CRV. Unreal snow car and lo insurance costs. Certain years had a lot of issues and up here there is a lot of Subaru,s and repair shops! Subaru is URABUS spelled backward! Just Google 2012 Subaru problems thats how I find problem years.
Originally Posted by Dude270
My wife has been running a Subaru forester for 6 years. We absolutely love it. It's all we need for us and 1 kid.
Gets around great, easy on gas, no maintenance issues, etc.

I do get tired of hearing the dyke car shiit, but, whatever

Whatever is right. A lot of the gay gals around here seem to prefer Ford pick ups.

mic drop . ...
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Laffing

That biggin won't be Lezzin it for long, the grape ape down at the Jiffy Lube will treat her to a foot long and a nanner shake.
You'd hit it. Probably have Rene run the videocamera while you did it.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Get a COEXIST sticker for it. grin

Feel the Bern lol

I'm thinking Trump 2020!
Originally Posted by jackmountain
You'd hit it. Probably have Rene run the videocamera while you did it.

Well duh!!

I wouldn't go second on it.

Ren would take the 'shortshop' in the ball cap. 😄😄
He's from new England, give him some slack!
They are very popular in Madison Wisconsin according to my son who lives there and drives one.
I owned a AWD Wagon in 1983. 28 mpg and it thought it was a Jeep.
They sure seem to be a well thought of, reliable and safe vehicle.
I gave my buddy a lot of crap for buying an outback....until I drove it. It handles much better than my wife’s 2017 CRV. Much more comfortable too! I’m 6’4 and find the CRV to be cramped. Not so much with the Lezbaru.
I've got a 2019 outback with 47,000 miles on it. Likely have 60,000 before it's first year is up. My wife now wants one for herself. Economy, road handling, interior space (I'm 6'7" and 365 lbs), inclement weather driving.

All these things considered it's the best basic set of wheels we've ever owned

My wife has 5 sisters and she's had 4 of them at a time along in the thing for day long shopping trips. None of these are what you'd consider plus sized gals, but it's roomy

My 6'4" son is comfortable in the back seat. I myself have difficulty getting into the back but I have such petite feet and some sciatic nerve issues and arthritis which stiffen me up a bit.

Only had 2 real ice storms so far this year but I can't think of a vehicle that I'd rather be in in snotty conditions. And I'm not any big off road guy, but i like to explore, and I've got a fair number of miles on 2 tracks and logging trails from Oklahoma to the Upper Peninsula
The negatives that I can list are sorta minor.

I don't like the way the center console opens

The center console has 2 cup holders, a small depression for change and small items, and a pocket into (under?) the dash that will hold a few things. More thought should be given to placement for cell phones, maps, a kleenex box, and general stuff. Considerable wasted dash space.

Interior temperature control on mine is not digital, but is set by turning an old fashioned knob from one click stop to the next. At temps in the 20s I fool with the temp knob 3-4 times an hour as one click is too cool and the very next click is too warm. Or maybe I'm just old and fussy that way...

I didn't get heated outside mirrors. Mistake...

My Outback is the most basic package regularly available. All things considered we're really happy with it.
And I started a tire thread for this car a few weeks ago. the factory Bridgestone Duelers did very well but were wearing to the point that I didn't wanna do winter with them.

I went with the Goodyear Assurance Weather-Ready tire, and it is an amazing confidence builder in wet or icy road conditions. I'd challenge anyone to come up with a better combination for [bleep] winter weather.
I'm a 6'5" guy with Lesbian tendencies and I like our 2017 Outback. 30mpg and it hauls stuff like nobody's business. We've done two cross-country trips with the entire back-end loaded down and a car topper full of crap and it still got 28mpg average. Base model with a 2.5L 4-banger. 35K miles. No issues. I was really surprised that a Millennial kind of car didn't have more than one lighter socket for charging phones and stuff.
Sister in law has one. She likes it.
One plus of Subarus where I live, they dont seem to attract the attention of thieves when left in the driveway like pickup trucks can.
We rented on for a week last summer when we vacationed in South Dakota. It was nice to drive!
Well, they advertise that they are made with "love."

What else do you need to know?
Originally Posted by kennyd
Look up head gaskets. may be newer ones are fixed. Otherwise decent t little cars.

I think that is the biggest thing with them. My uncle had one that blew the head gasket after 100 or so thousand miles.

As a public service announcement concerning Lesbo choice of vehicles......I have a pair of them living on my street. The bull drives a Tacoma, and the "wife" drives a little Nissan econobox.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Man I wish I had a camera on their bedroom ceiling so I could watch them go at it........said no one. Ever.
You can always adopt some, if you want grandkids !
We had a 2001 forester that had a head gasket fail at about 100K, there was a local garage that only does Subarus and they did the head gasket using the gasket from the turbo model for something like $700-800 ( apparently this was the "fix" back in the day). It seemed like a lot of money on a 100K car but was worth it in the long run. We kept that 2001 until 2017 and when we sold it it was at 299K. The wife wanted to drive it to buffalo and back just so she could go past 300K on the weekend we turned it in on her new 2017 forester.

I think the head gasket thing was pretty much over by the time our 2014 impreza came out.

We have a 2014 Impreza that the Aupair drives and the Wife drives 2017 Forester. Short of a chained up truck I haven't driven a better snow vehicle.
I got a 2015 for the wife. WHen I did research on them, an issue with oil consumption came up with 2014 and prior 2.5 litre engines. Some people were having to add a quart or 2 between oil chages. I believe it was a ring issue. If she is good about checking oil, she should be good to go.
I sold mine with 95000 miles a long time ago before they were the co-exist crowds vehicle of choice , worst new car I ever bought. That said 6500 though is a bargain and it should last at least until 150k if it has been properly maintained. 200K more as another poster mentioned is simply laughable.

My Old car is in Nebraska and has about 175k on it but it has been nothing but a nightmare for the second owner. He bought it and I showed his dad all the receipts and the carfax on it .
Originally Posted by kelbro
I'm a 6'5" guy with Lesbian tendencies and I like our 2017 Outback. 30mpg and it hauls stuff like nobody's business. We've done two cross-country trips with the entire back-end loaded down and a car topper full of crap and it still got 28mpg average. Base model with a 2.5L 4-banger. 35K miles. No issues. I was really surprised that a Millennial kind of car didn't have more than one lighter socket for charging phones and stuff.

Ours has 2 power sockets in the console pocket, one just behind the rear seat and one (maybe2?) by the rear hatch.
Yes, on the 2015 4 banger, for one, be pulling that dipstick regularly to see what's what oil consumptionwise.
Ours needs to be topped up several times between changes. All in all, it's a good station wagon.
The Headlight bulbs are a royal pain to change and go out quite often. Wife takes hers to dealer here and they have courtesy service under $20, You have to remove inner fender well cover to get to it and do it by feel. We get along better when they replace bulbs. But they last about 2 years on her 2014 Outback.
Originally Posted by kk alaska
The Headlight bulbs are a royal pain to change and go out quite often. Wife takes hers to dealer here and they have courtesy service under $20, You have to remove inner fender well cover to get to it and do it by feel. We get along better when they replace bulbs. But they last about 2 years on her 2014 Outback.

That's good to know. The headlamp covers are VERY cloudy too so hopefully I can get them to polish up quite a bit.
Originally Posted by Nebraska
The one I'm looking at is a clean 2-owner with no accidents, damage or rust and has 91k miles. Not sure if its had a new time chain yet so I'll just assume I'll need to do that at 100+k miles but its only $6500 so I feel like that leaves me some $$ for PM items.

It drives nice and the AWD would be a plus for my daughter compared to her FWD Honda Civic. Would like to hear your experience with the 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i though just to make sure there aren't any issues I need to consider.

Don't do it! I have a 2013 and it uses oil like a 2 stroke. There is a problem with many thousands of these using oil and Subaru is doing a dance around it and won't admit there's a major defect in the engines.. I have also had front end problems. I'm pretty stuck with it and praying it lasts for 150 thousand before it's toast. Buy a Toyota ANYTHING over a Subaru! (except their sports cars) Another thing they don't tell you.....If you trash one tire that has wear on it, you have to buy 4 new ones because they all need to be exactly the same diameter due to the all wheel drive.
FWIW, I believe Doc Rocket has been a huge proponent of Subarus.

FC
I bought my daughter a 2012, and she put 90K on it. The backup camera went bad, and the headlamps needed replaced every year. Alignment ruined a newer set of tires, but she hit a pothole hard and never told me. Again she was away at college. I sold that and got her a 2014, and that one needed a tire pressure sensor so far. 2014 is just about as hungry with lamps. Neither burned any oil. I use Mobil 1, and change at 6 - 7K. Both were premium model. Since she is in college, these are good cars for safety, and moving from dorm to dorm. I am happy with the choice.
That CVT transmission is a colossal piece of schit. You're buying at the right time to set yourself up for a $10K replacement. Don't do it...

David
Originally Posted by Canazes9
That CVT transmission is a colossal piece of schit. You're buying at the right time to set yourself up for a $10K replacement. Don't do it...

David

You may well be right about that.

Still, the Outback is now one of the more numerous vehicles on the interstate that I use to commute. I have yet to see any Subaru on a flatbed or wrecker sling.

I chose to make payments on m,y subaru rather than hit an investment account for the price. I'm saving enough in fuel to make my payment, and what I save will go a fair ways towards CVT repair if it comes.

And I know of a couple neighbors who are on their 2nd or 3rd subaru without any serious issues, mechanically...
How many miles on yours at CVT failure?
Originally Posted by Canazes9

David

avoid the year 2015
As years go, I wouldna missed 2014 if it never happened...
The Mrs drives a 2012 outback with the 3.6 boxer engine
110 miles no problems and it's scarry fast!!
250 hp ,250 torque ..

My girlfriend had a 1998 Forester and the head gasket failed at 258K. I had to replace a bunch of other stuff but the drivetrain never had a major repair.

She has a 2015 Forester now and I'm afraid of the CVT but Subaru extended the warranty to 100K.

The AWD system is very good but there is some weakness in the boxer design and the CVT. Drivetrain problems are a good reason to avoid a vehicle.
One of these years I need to be buying a vehicle, likely the last one I'll ever own. My two old Corollas though appear to be immortal.

Subaru products are near the top of my list, but there are apparently real problems with the CVT.....

http://www.subarucomplaints.com/cvt/

The only off-road Subaru left without one is stick on the base model Crosscheck. Driven stick shifts all my life, I dunno tho if I'll always have the knees to operate a clutch pedal.

Don't know about any oil leaks, but the head gasket thing is real, at least on 2010s. I had the timing belt changed just before my ex took it and they warned me about that possibility when I picked it up. By the time she wrecked it about a year later, it was making a lot of scary noises and barely running. She dodged a bullet when she totalled it.

Always was a Subaru fan until that one.
© 24hourcampfire