Home
Posted By: mart Interesting decoy for Christmas - 12/24/19
We had our Christmas yesterday because I had to come up to the oilfields today for my two week hitch. I had Christmas off last year so it was my alternates turn this year.

My wife knows I like duck decoys. I haven't got a lot of them and most are odd ones we've found over the years. Anyway she found this one and gave it to me yesterday. I don't recall ever seeing one done like this. Looks like a bunch of little blocks of wood all glued together then shaped. I thought it was kind of interesting and unique. I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of the gentleman who created it? Thanks for looking.

Mart

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

That’s neat!

Curious to hear the history. Or maybe it’s a one off hobby item.
That is interesting, to pretty to use.
Very nice! And I believe you're right about how it was made.
Yes, with the felt feet on it, it must just be for display. I have not heard of this guy but it is a great Christmas present!
That took a lot of hand work. It's a great gift, IMO.

Rates Two-Cool, for sure

cool cool
It's beautiful.
My grandfather had two burlap bags of old time Mallard decoys. My father gave some away, I came up short a few one Sunday when some nephews were here.

I have about six left.
Thanks guys. After the Christmas decorations come down off the mantle, it will go up there with the furs, shed antlers and other outdoor stuff where I can see it every day.
That's neat!
Originally Posted by wabigoon
My grandfather had two burlap bags of old time Mallard decoys. My father gave some away, I came up short a few one Sunday when some nephews were here.

I have about six left.

I had a bunch of old hand carved decoys given to me by an old northeastern duck hunter. I was in college at the time and my parents divorced and sold the farm. I suspect my mom's bachelor brother who didn't hunt and was helping here with the move probably thought they were junk and disposed of them. It broke my heart as the old guy was very dear to me and those decoys, as rough as they looked, were a connection to a time when guys still shot limits over wood and cork.
Unique and very nice!
That's a Wood Duck...........
Originally Posted by 12344mag
That's a Wood Duck...........

I've shot several wood ducks over the years. I never get invited back to hunt over their hand carved decoys again. crazy
cool!!!!!!
© 24hourcampfire