Home
It is with heavy heart I bring you the news that long-time forum member tomk died in a Christmas Eve accident while cutting down a tree near his home in Michigan.

Anyone who dealt with Tom here on the boards or in person knew he was old-school in terms of honesty, respect, trust and integrity. We shared a passion for low-light optics and numerous times sent each other our latest scope to check out. When it came to long-range dialing of alpha glass or technical features and idiosyncrasies of both scopes and binoculars, Tom knew more than anyone I have ever spoken with. His range of expertise spanned subjects too broad to even try and mention.

I had the honor of meeting Tom and his lovely wife Carol this past summer. They were heading southwest from their Michigan home to see one of their children and decided to significantly lengthen their trip and swing through south-central Texas on the off-chance that my health would cooperate and allow us to meet and visit for a while. I am certainly glad they did.
Thoughts and prayers from Iowa. Godspeed.
Dang, real sorry to hear that. Godspeed.
Damn. Just damn. frown

Always above the fray and a true gentleman.
We are diminished.
Thats terrible.

Good luck to his family.
Thoughts and prayers for his family.
God bless. Sincerely.
Crap, another one.

Godspeed TomK.

Condolences to family and friends.

Geno
Terrible.

Thoughts and prayers for his family.
Time takes us all eventually, so many I have known that passed in the last few years. Makes me thoughtful. Hope the hunting is good where you go TomK.
Sorry to learn that. Prayers for his family.
Thoughts and prayers to the family
Prayers to Tom K and his family!!
R.I.P., Tom.
RIP, brother. You’ll be missed.
Hate to hear it.
That’s terrible, condolences to his family. Life is so fragile.
Oh [bleep]. Prayers to his family. RIP TomK

Sad news to hear prayers for tomk and family
Terrible,,,, especially around the Holidays
Sad with this news....Prayers for his wife and children sent. 😎
BobbyTomek: Thank you for letting us know - we are diminished.
May he rest in peace.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Sure hate to hear this news.
Very sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends.
Horrible, and on Christmas Eve.
I’ll be praying for the family. Please pas along my condolences.
7mm
That is sad news. I sold him a scope and we were messaging back an forth on Christmas Eve day, he didn’t reply to the last message and I thought nothing of it.
Condolences to his family,
Ronnie
Prayers sent for family and friends.
Thoughts and prayers to the family.
That is so sad...
Damn. Good words skyward from here.

Always at a loss for words during these times......RIP Tom......

Tom's obituary
How terrible!

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

RIP Tom.
Sorry to hear of this! Prayers for family and friends now and in coming years! The holidays will never be the same for them.

Mike
Bad news. Don't remember seeing him, but the family is in my thoughts and prayers.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
BobbyTomek: Thank you for letting us know - we are diminished.
May he rest in peace.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You said what I was trying to say, VarmintGuy. Bobby, thanks for letting us know. My heartfelt condolences to the family and to you Bobby.
My condolences.
Godspeed Tom.
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek

Looked like a very nice man. How sad. RIP
That's a shame. One of the good members.
Very sorry to hear this.

My thoughts are with his family.

Rip Tom

Thanks for letting us know Bobby
I’m sorry to read this. My thoughts are with Tom’s friends and loved ones. What a terrible tragedy.
So sorry to hear this.

Rest in Peace Tom.

My sincere condolences and deepest sympathies to his family.
Sad news
Godspeed Sir
Prayers for his family.
Prayers to the family and friends RIP
Sad news this New Years Eve. Another good member gone.
I traded some Swarovskis to Tom.

All the best to his family.
Condolences to the family.
RIP
Very sad news.
Very sorry to hear this. Was hoping to meet him at Michigan Get Together this spring.

Rip Tom; prayers for the family
sad news.Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Looked like a very nice man. How sad. RIP

x2
My heartfelt condolences to the family and friends.
Tommy, thanks for letting us know...

Condolences to you on the loss of your friend, and to Tomk's family......

prayers be with them during this difficult time...

and may the Good Lord bless and be with his family members, especially his wife Carol
So sorry to hear of this tragic loss. May God bless and keep him and give comfort to his family while they grieve.
Damn shame. Prayers for his family.
RIP Tomk.
Very tragic.

RIP TomK, and condolences to family and friends.
I am so sorry t hear this news. Prayers on the way.
Very sad news. Prayers for peace and healing on behalf of his family sent.

RIP, Tom.
I hate December.

Condolences.
Pretty regular member if I recall.

Shame to hear.

I’ve zipped through a few red oaks around here with disease. Only to have them collapse in place from being hollowed out by secondary carpenter ant galleries.

Started only cutting living trees, since we have so many.
Another good one gone all to soon. RIP Tom
Very Sad;;; So Sorry

Jerry
Prayers sent.RIP Tom
I'm sorry to hear this.

Memory Eternal.
So sorry for him and his family.
Just Damn! So sorry to hear that.
Sorry to hear this!

Thoughts and Prayers to his Family and to all who knew him as a friend! memtb
Sad to hear. Thanks for passing that news. RIP TomK.
I’ve been thinking about this since reading it earlier and it’s truly heartbreaking to think that a loved one/s were possibly the first to find him after the accident. The helplessness and terror that one would feel upon discovering their loved one is heartbreaking to me.

Like others mentioned.....the holidays will always be a painful reminder of the loss they suffered.

I pray for comfort and peace for all those that loved him deeply and that they’ll be able to successfully deal with the sights and sounds they experienced on that fateful Christmas Eve! God has a plan for all of us, even though we might not be able to grasp that plan we have to have faith in God. I know that’s easy for an outsider to say but I say it with all sincerity and with nothing but love intended.
More prayers for the family on the way.

FC
Just a shame. RIP and may the comfort of the Lord be with the family.
Prayers for solace for family and friends have been sent. RIP, Tom.
Condolences to the family. Prayers sent.
TomK was a fine man. This is very sad news indeed.
My condolences to the family, may Tom RIP
RIP Tom and God bless you Bobby.
Thoughts and prayers sent for his family.
Sorry to hear this !!
RIP Tom.
RIP TomK, and my prayers for those he leaves behind.

Enjoy your family tonight, folks.
Sorry to hear it.
RIP Tom. Prayers for his family.
Just wow! RIP and condolences to the family!
RIP. This has been a tough year here on the fire and at home. Hoping for less of this in 2020.
Sorry to hear this, my condolences to his family.
Wish I had words to make it right. God's peace and healing. Amen.
I read the obit and tomk sounded like a fine man. Over forty years married is a remarkable accomplishment. May his friends and family find peace and healing.
Wow, incredibly sad.
Horrible news. Prayers for his family.
Damn. Rest In Peace. Condolences to his family.
whoa.....
Prayers to the family.
Thoughts and prayers sent.
Sorry to hear of this.
Wow, that's really too bad. RIP Tom.
Sorry to hear this.

Strength and healing for his true friends and Family.

REST IN PEACE
That's awful. Condolences to his family and friends.
Wow, sorry to hear that - condolences and prayer for the family.
I didn't know him well and had a couple of dealings with him buying scopes. He was a gentleman and absolutely honest.

My condolences to his friends and family.
Vaya con Dios, Tom!

Condolences to those left behind. We’ll all make the jump one day, doesn’t make it easier to say goodbye though.
Jesus that is sad. I feel for the loved ones he left behind. Does anyone have any details of the accident so others can learn from it?
Not a bad way to go out - this man was outdoors and doing what he loved.

Hopefully it was quick and painless.

Best to his loved ones.

To paraphrase Bristoe,

It sure beats dying in a nursing home slumped over a bowl of gruel with a piss tube stuck up your pecker.
Prayers for family and friends.
RIP, condolences to friends and family...
Sad news. RIP.
Originally Posted by add
To paraphrase Bristoe,

It sure beats dying in a nursing home slumped over a bowl of gruel with a piss tube stuck up your pecker.

Yep.
RIP Tom!
From one Tom to another RIP! Prayers for his family & friends.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.
It is with heavy heart I bring you the news that long-time forum member tomk died in a Christmas Eve accident while cutting down a tree near his home in Michigan.

Anyone who dealt with Tom here on the boards or in person knew he was old-school in terms of honesty, respect, trust and integrity. We shared a passion for low-light optics and numerous times sent each other our latest scope to check out. When it came to long-range dialing of alpha glass or technical features and idiosyncrasies of both scopes and binoculars, Tom knew more than anyone I have ever spoken with. His range of expertise spanned subjects too broad to even try and mention.

I had the honor of meeting Tom and his lovely wife Carol this past summer. They were heading southwest from their Michigan home to see one of their children and decided to significantly lengthen their trip and swing through south-central Texas on the off-chance that my health would cooperate and allow us to meet and visit for a while. I am certainly glad they did.

I don't know that I ever conversed with TomK but this is sad news for sure.

Prayers to his family and those of you who knew him personally.
My condolences to his family and those who knew him.
RIP Tom
Prayers for his family
TomK rest peacefully and may his family enjoy the memories they had together.
Very sad
Prayers with the family
Hank
RIP Tom
Dave
I sit here and try to come up with the words to type as Tom was a friend of mine. I got to know him a few years ago and took he, his daughter Jane and his son Nick up to a spot here in Colorado and showed them around a couple places I hunt. We stayed in touch over the years and every time we would talk his first question was “Drummond, how is your family?” He loved hearing about how my family was doing and then he would tell me about his family but would tell me more about Jane as she was living in Colorado and he was so proud of her and all of his family. You can tell a lot about a man in just how much he cares and how he talks about his family.

Last time I saw Tom he stopped in for a cup of coffee and showed me his bighorn sheep he killed in Wyoming. It was a great talk and then he headed on home

Our world shines less bright without Tom in it. Trust me, even if you hadn’t met him he was as fine a man as you would have known. Don’t know what else to say other than I’m genuinely sad to hear of this. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends

Here is the obituary I found online. Guaranteed heaven gained one of the good ones and we will see each other again one day

https://www.kroeze-wolffis.com/notices/Thomas-Korenstra
So sad to hear this. Another member of our tight knit crew gone on to the other side. Good luck and Godspeed.
I didn't know him, but I hate to hear of a good man passing.

Do you know how he was killed? Did the tree that he was cutting fall on him? I had my own brush with death just recently and am trying to learn everything I can to protect myself.
May Tom rest in peace.

Huntsonora, that tribute is insightful to your outstanding character.
Horrible news for sure. Truly heart breaking. )>:
Prayers for family and friends.
Prayers for his family
RIP Tom. Here's wishing his family and loved ones peace and comfort.
Truly sad news. Prayers to his family
So sad, Rest in peace Tom, prayers for his family.
My thoughts and prayers are with the friends and family left behind.

Dwayne
It's so sad to read about one of our members who has unexpectedly passed on.

RIP Tom and our family will pray your family finds peace.
RIP Tom.
Another good man has left us. Prayers for Tom’s family starting a new year without him.
© 24hourcampfire