Home
Posted By: wabigoon Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
I got to thinking, Gilbert could use a pair of spurs. Ebay has lots of clothing with the Santino Spurs logo, not much in the boot horse riding kind. Any ideas?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
Those kids of mine want spurs in the worst way.

Not going to do it yet. Want them to lean how to ride first!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
Yes Jim, but you have horses. laugh I'm thinking décor.

Some where around here I have an old pair with no rowels , just a point.

Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Those kids of mine want spurs in the worst way.

Not going to do it yet. Want them to lean how to ride first!

My girls get their first riding lesson in two weeks.

We have to pay for things like that around here.

I think I am more excited than they are.
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/western-ss-engraved-leaf-tooled-10pt-spurs/SLT650661/
Oh, geeze....I hope they have a good time Tracy!

Richard.....if'n yer gonna do it.....do it right. Big ole rowels and a full compliment of jingle bobs.
Wabi, you got me goin'

Life is Good.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
Dedicated kids spurs...

https://www.amazon.com/AJ-Tack-Wholesale-Antique-Western/dp/B00892UTY8/ref=sr_1_3

Richard.....if'n yer gonna do it.....do it right. Big ole rowels and a full compliment of jingle bobs.

These have jiigle bobs!

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/western-bs-texas-longhorn-16pt-jingle-bob-spurs/WOA21/
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Yeah....those look better.

Takes years to get your rowel worn out enough to jingle properly.

Jingle bobs will have you making the correct noise right away.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
I just looked mine up. My brother Jim bought these. They must be 70 years old. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: NMpistolero Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
To me, spurs are an heirloom item. There are actually very few American made mid range spurs available. Everything is either cheap Chinese or handmade custom. There is one company that is not inexpensive but close to custom, cowpuncher bit and spur. NRS national roper supply carries them. They also carry Dutton spurs. A little more plain but real reasonable.

Probably don’t have to say it but going to anyway, kids should be taught that spurs aren’t just meant for going fast. They are a tool for communication. Leg pressure is far more effective than kicking and spurring. Although some ponies I know, need their hide wore out!
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
Leg pressure is far more effective than kicking and spurring. Although some ponies I know, need their hide wore out!

This.

They look cool cowboy, but it's really easy to over-do it with the whole spur thing.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
One spur for each kid. Both halves of the horse will respond grin
Posted By: ipopum Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
I have spent many hours in the saddle. We had mares and raised colts and then broke them to ride. ( trained )

We never found much use spurs. Some people always wore them however.

Good idea Jim, kids need to learn to ride befor they need spurs.
Posted By: NMpistolero Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
Don’t get me wrong, they aren’t for everyone, and probably not every horse knows how to respond to them but I think no spurs are as bad as too much spur. Like I said teach them how to use them( to communicate) and stay out of their(horses) mouths. You should never have to “kick” a horse. Just my 2 cents which is more than what it’s worth. Hell those pro can chasers flail around and make way more $$$ than me on a pony 😂
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
Leg pressure is far more effective than kicking and spurring. Although some ponies I know, need their hide wore out!

This.

They look cool cowboy, but it's really easy to over-do it with the whole spur thing.

I haven't ridden in almost forty years, but I remember I could get a lot done with just the right pressure at the right time.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
Richard

There must be a western wear store in your vicinity? That’s the best way to make sure they fit Gil’s boots. Adult spurs will not work.

He can pick his own level of bling too!
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

These have jiigle bobs!

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/western-bs-texas-longhorn-16pt-jingle-bob-spurs/WOA21/
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yep, those look pretty darn good for costume jewelry.

I wouldn't let any of my kids get close to a horse with them on though.

I have broke a few dozen horses. I only found the need to don spurs for one, and she was a twenty year old spoiled schitless mare. One afternoon I decided she was going to have to learn who actually was the boss. Two hours later we were both lathered up and she had blood running down both sides of her ribs, but we had reached an understanding.

From that day forward, she was a pretty good cow pony.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by ipopum
I have spent many hours in the saddle. We had mares and raised colts and then broke them to ride. ( trained )

We never found much use spurs. Some people always wore them however.

Good idea Jim, kids need to learn to ride befor they need spurs.

Yes.
I average 30 miles a week on horseback and agree 100%
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/05/20
Not only that, but spurs are the quickest way to get young feet hung in a stirrup.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/05/20
Originally Posted by Salmonella

That's what Cowboy Action shooting is for! All Fun and no hurt.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/05/20
It depends on the horse and what you are trying to get done.

Trail riding, probably don't need spurs.

Gathering cows in big country(with hills....), yes.

And it isn't like you need to get crazy with giant rowls.

Just let the horse know what's up.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/05/20
Sam, I gotta disagree.

It really depends on the horse and his training. Yes, I have worked with a couple of Democrat horses, and it was less effort to walk to the top of the mountain than continuously kick the dirty bastard into motion.

But such a critter never made it into my remuda, except as a pack animal. My riding ponies responded instantaneously to a slight lean forward toward the saddle horn and a tightening of the knees. If they needed spurred, it was because the poor thing was simply too exhausted to respond.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Spurs for boys? - 01/05/20
The best thing about spurs is, used properly eventually you don't need them. There are exceptions to every rule.
© 24hourcampfire