Home
Ok, which is better with saltine crackers, Potted Meat or Vienna Sausages? My vote goes to Potted Meat!
Lips and ass holes
Posted By: WTF Re: Potted Meat or Vienna Sausages - 01/06/20
Monkey peters
Potted meat goes great with sodi crackers.

Potted meat is the better choice in my opinion. Ah the good old days in FT Hood, TX eating spam, potted meat, and vienna sausages
You need to rephrase your post with the proper terminology. What you so quaintly refer to as Vienna Sausages, have never been to Vienna. In the timber producing areas of the West, they are properly referred to as "Puppy Peckers", and are second only to Kipper Snacks in the frequency that they are found in the lunch bucket. In the interests of politeness and good manners, I shall refrain from telling you the proper name for "Puppy Peckers in Barbecue Sauce".
Vienna wieners are ok but I prefer potter meat. Sardines in Louisiana hot sauce are good too.
Vienna Sausages and crackers has been my lunch time meal when bird hunting, since my dad taught me beginning at age 8. The dogs always get one too.
All the tuna jokes aside I've grown fond of the tuna snacks that come with 6 crackers and a tiny spoon.

I do kinda grin thinking of the humor potential...
I should weigh in on this subject matter.

But brevity in my response is needed in this case cause I'm punching out the 8mm barrel right now.

Either are good snacks for the dove field in their own right

But beefaroni cold outta the can with a plastic spoon on a dove field
rules.

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Vienna Sausages and crackers has been my lunch time meal when bird hunting, since my dad taught me beginning at age 8. The dogs always get one too.

Throw in a chunk of sharp cheddar cheese and a pickle and it’s what I carry in my hunting pack.
Vienna Sausages and crackers.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Throw in a chunk of sharp cheddar cheese and a pickle and it’s what I carry in my hunting pack.

My mean GrandMother used to make us eat potted meat sandwiches when we were kids. Have had it since.
Smoked Oysters and Chicken in a Bisquit crackers.
The spam version of potted meat and the Underwood devil ham is the fancy stuff.
That black pepper Spam is the bomb too!
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
The spam version of potted meat and the Underwood devil ham is the fancy stuff.

I've got a case of Deviled Ham put away for the apocalypse.
shudder, shudder, shudder............all that stuff. Around here it is kippered herring with Ritz or club crackers.
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
Ok, which is better with saltine crackers, Potted Meat or Vienna Sausages? My vote goes to Potted Meat!

Both are better on white bread.
Quest bars or One bars for me when hunting. Easy to pack, full of protein, low sugar, and each bar has about 15 million grams of fiber. A day of eating them can make the next morning's dump pretty interesting, but they will keep you full.
I'll have some Vienna Sausages & crackers for lunch about every two months or so. More often if I'm in a blind during deer or turkey season. Potted meat sandwich several times a year..... Mayo on the bread and then smear the potted meat on.
I hate to admit but I love armour potted meat. That was about all I ate as a kid, no one told me it was trash food

To this day I'd love to eat a potted meat sandwich, but it has to be armour, the other brands don't have the same flavor

Vienna sausages were too bland for me.
Growing up in west Texas in the '50s we called them vye-eena sausages. Still enjoy them occasionally.
I
Originally Posted by auk1124
Quest bars or One bars for me when hunting. Easy to pack, full of protein, low sugar, and each bar has about 15 million grams of fiber. A day of eating them can make the next morning's dump pretty interesting, but they will keep you full.

Lets not hijack this thread with a healthy crazy sick snack idea....

LOL!!! laugh
Originally Posted by renegade50
I

LOL!!! laugh

Dip them in peanut butter and cover them with chocolate syrup and they actually taste good! 😁
WE used to hunt in a large group hunting deer with dogs. It was fast moving and not a lot of time to eat. I made lots of days on RC cola, honey buns, and Vienna sausage. I haven't hunted deer with dogs since around 1981. It now seems it was more a social thing than hunting.
Haven't ate canned meat for quite a while other than sardines and kippers. But I fondly remember the canned corned beef, came in the same can design as spam. Opened it up and there was a nice layer of mystery jelly covering the mystery "meat". Tasted damn good though a bit like real corned beef, hit it with a lil mustard on bread or crackers did the job smile
I don’t like sardines or herring for any use other than bait and have never had “potted meat” or Vienna sausages.

It sounds like survival food to me...just like rattlesnakes and pets.

I suppose that either we weren’t poor enough, although I’m sure we were, or that our tastes were too cosmopolitan, which I’m sure they weren’t, In either case I guess I don’t know what I’m missing and luckily I don’t miss it. 😂. I always had an aversion to any food that had “loaf” in its name because it’s too ambiguous of a word.. I will eat meatloaf if it’s homemade but there are other things I prefer so we rarely have any “loafs” in my house except of course bread....
I love potted meat on saltines. Growing up grandpa always had it on hand and ate many a lunch fishing/hunting/working with him.

Wife only allows it in the house now because the kids took to it just as I did.
Originally Posted by renegade50
I

LOL!!! laugh

Dip them in peanut butter and cover them with chocolate syrup and they actually taste good! 😁

Now we are back on track!!!!!
LOL!!!
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I don’t like sardines or herring for any use other than bait and have never had “potted meat” or Vienna sausages.

I suppose that either we weren’t poor enough, although I’m sure we were, or that our tastes were too cosmopolitan, which I’m sure they weren’t, In either case I guess I don’t know what I’m missing and luckily I don’t miss it. 😂. I always had an aversion to any food that had “loaf” in its name because it’s too ambiguous of a word.. I will eat meatloaf if it’s homemade but there are other things I prefer so we rarely have any “loafs” in my house except of course bread....

Push the boundaries!!!
Expand your horizon!!!

Buy 1 of each
Get a sleeve of crackers

And enjoy the foods of the Gods that have been bestowed upon us mortal men!!!

Lol!!!
Potted meat and egg sammich.
I'd avoid the potted meat in Colorado and a few other states, you might get more than you bargained for.
As a kid, we ate a ton of Vienna Sausages. Along the trail into the Russian River (you could not drive to it then) were several tiny springs crossing the road and we left the Vienna Sausage cans at a couple of them to drink from. So I have a bit of a warm spot for the little wieners. SOS was big, too, but it does not stick with me the same way...
Both have their place, prefer jalapeño flavored Vienna. Have eaten them a few times when they were frozen solid and had to pry apart with a knife
i eat the chit out of both.
Potted meat....is okay.

Vienna sausage....puke, puke, puke!!!
I'll take the Vieni weenees any day. Armour's deviled ham isn't bad, either.
Vienna sausage in hot sauce. Tried them all from sardines, smoked oysters, potted meat and Vienna’s. Was raised on them as I learned how to hunt with my dad. Now that I’m grown I can be a little more picky. Vienna’s have always been my choice why fly fishing in the mountains. JMO
i eat the chit out of both.potted meat mayo and scallions is f-ucking great.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
shudder, shudder, shudder............all that stuff. Around here it is kippered herring with Ritz or club crackers.

+1
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i eat the chit out of both.potted meat mayo and scallions is f-ucking great.

That's three of the basic food groups
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

i could be a billionaire and I'd still eat potted meat and monkey dicks.
When I can find them, which is very seldom, my favorite canned snack is Crown Prince sardines, the ones in the big oval cans about six inches long. Either oil or mustard packed, those ones have enough size that they don't resemble fish-flavored mush. A can of those with saltine crackers and a cold Coke makes a good lunch.
Jerry
both, the world is a better place with both on the cracker...
i always have some of these and keep them hid in my room so my old lady or someone else don't eat them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
With the choices given, I’ll have to say Vienna sausage, but my other preference is sardines in mustard on soda crackers.
I never trust a man scared of spam/potted meat/Vienna sausages. Or one that shows an affinity for comic books/strips.

You ain’t gotta love one and hate the other, but if you hate the first and love the other....you’re gayer than a sack of schitty dicks.

Potted meat with Cool Ranch Doritos......No kidding....Crazy good......
Jalapeno flavor Vienna Sausages. Oh yeah...
Same stuff

One is in a casing
Either one, as long as the chicken is mechanically separated.

Season brand sardines are also primo.
Sardines in oil, Premium saltines, chunk of salami, and sharp cheddar was our back of the pickup deer hunting snack.
Posted By: DMc Re: Potted Meat or Vienna Sausages - 01/06/20
Vienna Sausages hold a special place in my heart. I guess I was 6-7yo. My grandfather took me crappie fishing on Lake Bridgeport in TX in his john boat. Around lunch time out comes a can of Vienna Sausages. He allowed me to use his pocket knife to cut them lengthwise and make a Vienna cracker sandwich. A lot of "firsts" occurred that day.
First time to spend time with my grandfather alone.
First time fishing with Grandpa,
First time to be in a motorboat,
First time sticking a minnow on a hook,
First time to catch a crappie,
First time using a pocket knife,
And first time ever eating a Vienna Sausage.
Its hungry work running cyclists off the road always have a handful of cans of mystery meat in the glove box so you can keep going all day
Potted meat is better.
Originally Posted by Salty303
Its hungry work running cyclists off the road always have a handful of cans of mystery meat in the glove box so you can keep going all day

God Bless you...
Vie-enna sausages, potted meat, deviled ham, kipper snacks, sardines all good on the go lunch food. As was mentioned earlier, those tuna or chicken salad snack packs with the crackers included are also good for a quick lunch.
We called vieners around here. The smoked version, with Lance cheese on cheese, and mustard, is a delicacy!
Pickled eggs and pig's feet.
And a braunschweiger sandwich..
Of the two choices, definitely potted meat. Actually prefer sardines in mustard sauce.
What are Vienna Sausages really made of?

Ingredient List: Mechanically separated chicken, pork, water, salt, corn syrup, hydrolyzed soy and potato protein, dextrose, hydrolyzed casein and whey protein, flavoring, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrate.

Production Process: The primary raw ingredients in Vienna Sausage are pork, beef and chicken. The ingredients are pre-ground into large chunks, and then all the meats are blended together and analyzed for fat content. Once the proper fat content has been established, the spices and the water are added and mixed thoroughly. This mixture is then emulsified to a pancake-type batter and stuffed into a casing. The casing serves as a mold to shape the wiener while it is being cooked. In the smokehouse, the outside edge of the wiener has a pliable skin formed by the cooking.

Once the product is chilled, the casing is removed and conveyed to the Vienna Sausage packing machine. Seven strands of wieners 10 meters long are placed in the cup of the Marten Vienna packer. The seven strands represent twelve cans of Vienna Sausage. The strands are cut into proper lengths and then stuffed into the can. Each can is inspected for quality before the broth is added and the lid applied. Once the chilled can leaves the closing machine (it is checked immediately!) for vacuum, returned to a shelf- stable state, checked again for vacuum, labeled, and packed into a carton.

So Vieney Weeneys is made from pork, beef, n chicken. Ate a many of them on teen aged fishin and huntin days. Crackers and a bottle of hot sauce, some iced tea in a thermos and you had lunch. But I finally figgered out bull balls is beef, pig pu__y is pork, and 3 toed feet is chicken. Hadn't et them for decades till I come across some hid out in a marijuana grow camp on some land a club I was in had. Bare bones camp. Camoed, hammocks woven from muscadine vines, propane tank and mimimal otherwise. Pretty sure I scared them off when I came into the area everybody else hand been ignoring because it was difficult to access. Found Mexican news papers, pamplets and other such that ID'd the workers along with some supplies that included Vienney Weenys. Had wire run criss crossed on the grow patches about 8" off the ground suppose to slow down pursuers. Had been abandoned before the crop could be well developed. Remember walking back to the truck when I got back out to a trail. Eating Vienney Weenys outta the can. Laughing about the mezzicans hauling azz and whoever put them up to it loosing their grubstake. Pretty sure I know whodunnit. Couldh't happen to a better candidate. Just wish he'd lost more. Good Weeny memories.
Potted meat. Deviled ham. Deviled SPAM. Can't stand Vienna sausage and I seriously doubt the folks in Vienna do either.

Lips and ass holes

Beaks and butts.
Traditional lunch when my father and I were spring 'rat trapping was sardines, jerky, cheese, crackers, liver sausage, and all sorts of good stuff... but a quart of my mother's canned peaches was always the finisher.

We averaged well over 100 rats a day for a couple weeks and life was good.
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by Salty303

God Bless you...

Hahahahaha!

Good men.
I'm quite fond of potted meat.

Popeye's used to have a little packet of seasoning you could ask for to go on the chicken called "Cajun Sparkle." I'd take a can of potted meat and mix in a packet of Cajun Sparkle and have that on saltines.

Nowadays, I do somewhat the same thing with braunschweiger and Tony Chachere's Seasoning-- had that for lunch yesterday.
Canned whole chicken.
Neither one!
Was only sort of kidding about chicken in a can, when those little cans aren't enough. Dad might pick one up for dinner when we went fishing, can cook it different ways or eat out of the can if the fish were biting and you didn't want to waste time. Imagine unseasoned steamed or pressure cooked chicken. That's what it is.

Used to be available in grocery stores at a reasonable price. Being near terminally bored I Googled it. Amazon seems to be treating it as novelty geek food and is asking $50 for a 50 oz chicken!
Cousin of mine came home on night about half lit, and was hungry. Opened up the fridge, saw an opened can of potted meat, and ate it. Was at the breakfast table the next morning, and his sister came in, opened up the fridge, looked around and said "what happened to the can of cat food I put in here." He said he lost his breakfast right there, and also said that the cat food tasted just like potted meat did......and that he never ate either one again.

I never cared for Vienna's, and have only eaten a few. I liked potted meat only a little better, but never really ate much of it either. Wife used to put potted meat on pimento cheese sandwiches, and they weren't bad.
Monkey dicks with a drop of Texas Pete and shaved hoop cheese on a Ritz cracker.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Was only sort of kidding about chicken in a can, when those little cans aren't enough. Dad might pick one up for dinner when we went fishing, can cook it different ways or eat out of the can if the fish were biting and you didn't want to waste time. Imagine unseasoned steamed or pressure cooked chicken. That's what it is.

Used to be available in grocery stores at a reasonable price. Being near terminally bored I Googled it. Amazon seems to be treating it as novelty geek food and is asking $50 for a 50 oz chicken!

I remember one episode of Chopped where it was a required ingredient. Before that, I had never heard of it. Never saw it on the grocer shelf, either.
It would be healthier to eat the container either one came in.
I used to prefer the hot pickled sausages. They kind of bite back.
The one canned meat that I haven't been able to find is DAK bacon. I remember it from camping as a child.
Originally Posted by MM879
The one canned meat that I haven't been able to find is DAK bacon. I remember it from camping as a child.

I don't recall a DAK bacon but there is a DAK ham sometimes found at Wal-Mart.

Vienna Sausage, hands down. Drain the liquid, fill the space between the sausages with BBQ sauce, eat out of the can using a pocket knife blade to pull 'em out, and enjoy with Saltines.
Armour potted meat.
On the boat I started off with beanie weenies with hot vinegar then potted meat scooped up with Lance peanut butter/cheese crackers. Washed down with beer if I won't driving.
Been a while, might get some today....
Used to LOVE Vienna Sausages as a kid, and still eat them occasionally.

But...I LOVE fried Spam!

Will slice up a can full and fry up the whole thing.

IF there's any left, it's warmed up the next day. Yum Yum!

Virgil B.
I don't think I ever went on a hunting trip in my youth without a Vienna sausage or potted meat sandwich tucked into my shirt..The sausages aren't bad mashed up and mixed with Miracle whip or Mayo...The potted meat the same way and great on crackers for a snack..

Potted Meat (Armour brand)
Originally Posted by logcutter
I don't think I ever went on a hunting trip in my youth without a Vienna sausage or potted meat sandwich tucked into my shirt..The sausages aren't bad mashed up and mixed with Miracle whip or Mayo...The potted meat the same way and great on crackers for a snack..

Why bring up Satan's smegma?
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by logcutter

Why bring up Satan's smegma?

LOL...I prefer mayo on certain things and miracle whip on others..In this case,Miracle whip makes Vienna sausages and potted meat pretty tasty but on burgers,mayo is the bomb..I usually prefer miracle whip to mayo on cold sandwiches..

Spam is nasty cold but fried crisp,a close second to bacon for us poor folk..lol
Originally Posted by nighthawk

That $50 is for a 4-pack of 50 OZ chickens

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Sue-Ch...ed+chicken&qid=1578322750&sr=8-4
Sweet Sue Canned Whole Chicken without Giblets 50oz Can (Pack of 4)

They are still way overpriced though.
That's better, the hazards of sleepy time Googling. Still, as you say, 25¢ an ounce is a bit much.

Looks yummy too. smile
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

BTW Vienna sausages. More than anything I never liked the pasty texture.
Many many years ago in the 50's when my father was layed off from the mills,we qualified for USDA surplus food. Included in that was potted or canned meat and dried eggs.I don't eat either of them and I figure I would have to get very very poor to do it again. I keep a can of Spam in my hunting gear. When it gets down to the point that I would have to eat the Spam, it is time to go home.
I'll eat either one with crackers and cheese, etc. Good woods grub.
I prefer sardines in mustard sauce. Hot sauce is ok too. Perfect size to fit in a back pack.
I'll eat either one, but Vienna Sausages are my preference. It doesn't matter what "flavor" either. I'll get a sleeve of saltine crackers, a can of Cheese Whiz and I'm good to go.
© 24hourcampfire