Home
Does anyone in the northeast or upper mid-west listen to the old radio shows broadcasted by Zoomer radio, CFZM, on 740AM at 10:00 PM Eastern? I've been listening for a number of years now and find the old radio shows to be entertaining.
Did any of you listen to any of the shows when you were growing up? I remember having a bowl of popcorn while listening to the Lone Ranger when I was very young.
I wish I could hear Chicken Man again.
Sirius plays them on a special station. Makes a nice change on a long drive.
Might sound corny but I used to listen Ranger Bill on the local christian radio station here.

Since I’ve backslidden in the last couple years, haven’t tuned into that station.
And then Unshackled by Moody Radio

lol
I miss Dr. Demento......
Was Zippy the Pinhead a radio show?

Hahaha
Just old enough to have memories of Lone Ranger, Inner Sanctum, and Fibber McGee and Molly. Even my kid thinks readings and radio let our imaginations paint better pictures than movies or TV.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Was Zippy the Pinhead a radio show?

Hahaha

Nope....

Running comic series in High Times magizine.

Yowzaa!!!!
Yep, I buy the cassette tapes on the bay.
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio
Does anyone in the northeast or upper mid-west listen to the old radio shows broadcasted by Zoomer radio, CFZM, on 740AM at 10:00 PM Eastern? I've been listening for a number of years now and find the old radio shows to be entertaining.
Did any of you listen to any of the shows when you were growing up? I remember having a bowl of popcorn while listening to the Lone Ranger when I was very young.

All the time on XM radio and on YouTube in the late evening. YouTube has a lot of old time radio for free.
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio

I listen on AM 740, also on WGN Chicago on Saturday night/early Sunday morning if I can't sleep.

I'm "only" 52, but we had a local station that played old time radio every weeknight at 10 when I was a kid.
I listened to them.... back when they were new. No TV in our town until about 1956. Down on the farm, the radio was our entertainment.

Amos N Andy
Jack Benny
Lone Ranger
Cisco Kid
The Shadow

and so on.

Oh, and Gunsmoke. Many years later, found out that the voice of Matt Dillon came from a guy about as big around as he was high.
Here: My favorites are Gunsmoke, Philip Marlowe and Inner Sanctum.

Another: Lots of choices here...Amos n Andy's a favorite of mine....
I liked them when I was a kid, long ago and far away. Listened to them in Los Angeles at night but I do not find them on any of the radio stations here in S.W. Idaho

For you geezers .... one of my favorite shows and themes. Let your imagination wander in the Great White North.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=335&v=ew4LwBUzX5A[/video]

Enjoy.

L.W.

Originally Posted by denton
I listened to them.... back when they were new. No TV in our town until about 1956. Down on the farm, the radio was our entertainment.

Amos N Andy
Jack Benny
Lone Ranger
Cisco Kid
The Shadow

and so on.

Oh, and Gunsmoke. Many years later, found out that the voice of Matt Dillon came from a guy about as big around as he was high.
Lol...same here, but was sure disappointed when GS came out on TV in 1955. Jim Arness just didn't "sound" right to me like William Conrad did, but he sure looked more like I pictured Matt Dillon! laugh
I love AM radio when I'm out at the cabin on hunting trips. It's so far from electrical interference (rare for my area) that I can really get way off stations. I listen to the old radio dramas whenever I find them. There's nothing else to do when it's 20 degrees outside and gets dark up the holler at 5:00. It made me realize why radio became such a huge thing in people's lives so fast in the 1920s. If you lived out in the county in those days, you wouldn't have a clue what was happening in the country or the world. When you closest neighbor was 3 or 4 miles away and 3 or 4 ridges over, you are isolated. Radio brought the world into their living rooms. People today don't have a clue what our grandparents went through. My Grandmother's life started with her riding in horse and buggies in the 1890s to seeing the Space Shuttle.
Paul Harvey.....Good Day!!!
Used to listen on the radio, but now I just download from archive.org or use the LibriVox app. Have lots on CD in mp3, but the app makes it easier. You can also stream, but it requires a bit more hands-on. The web has made all this very easy, and there's no need to pay anymore (not that I ever did!).

Bob&Ray is my nighttime background noise, with Philip Marlowe (Gerald Mohr) in second place. Johnny Dollar IMO, is the best detective show, overall.
I listen to 20th century radio on line. I know almost all the shows by heart.
When I was 10 in 1961 there was Gunsmoke on the radio.

When I was 40 in 1991, someone handed me some cassette tapes of old Bob and Ray radio shows. Those were funny.

bob and ray on youtube

dragnet
All free.... https://oldradioprograms.us/ i listen darn near every day ...cbs r m s ...to die for ! All the westerns and x minus 1 ...good chit X10
Chicken man is in my link .. get a tablet and a Bluetooth speaker...ahh life is good !
I remember some from when I was little.

Bobby Besson and the B- Bar- B

Johnny Dollar

Gunsmoke

The Second Mrs. Burton

XM Radio
The Phil Harris Show
Our Miss Brooks
Ft. Laramie
The Whistler
Green Hornet
Half this place is over 80 yrs old

No little orphan annie????

So that Christmas Story movie was BS?

Oh wait for it....” ever heard of that movie, they don’t play it in Ted Kuscinski, Idaho”...or Gainsville, Fla

uhhhh derrrrrr, (drools a little) who is red kuscinski?
Yeah, we just had KRRM close here in town... health reasons by the owners claimed as the reason why...

they played a lot of really old time country music and western plus a lot of special feature shows on the weekends and at night..

sure going to miss that station.. listened to it a lot over the last 20 plus years....
The Bickersons.......
CBS mystery theater
I enjoy listening to old shows on XM radio on long road trips. I used to listen to some shows on public radio about 20 years ago.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
All free.... https://oldradioprograms.us/ i listen darn near every day ...cbs r m s ...to die for ! All the westerns and x minus 1 ...good chit X10

Great link. Thanks a bunch!
NO, was at the muffler shop where the owner listens to that blue grass yodeling murdering sheep in a hail storm shlt so the whole damn shop can hear it, iirc right after I heard Jimmie Rodgers sang about, "getting more women than a freight train can haul, then going to go buy a pistol longer than he is tall" well, that's about the time the knife hilt hit the side my head through my ear hole. mad I fuggin hate that SHlT!
© 24hourcampfire