Home
Must be a Commander style or full size. MUST have slide milled to attach a Sig Romeo Zero... this will be an EDC piece...

What does the braintrust recommend ???
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
How much are you looking to spend? I only have experience with the Ruger SR1911. I like it but I'm sure there will be lots of different opinions from the 1911 guys.
Posted By: deflave Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
I suggest you two gals pull your faces away from each other's twats and figure out WTF you'd want to carry around a piece that big and heavy to have 8 rounds on tap.
Posted By: viking Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
Sig.
Posted By: RHutch Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
Originally Posted by deflave
I suggest you two gals pull your faces away from each other's twats and figure out WTF you'd want to carry around a piece that big and heavy to have 8 rounds on tap.

LOL....Good to see you back....GFY
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
What is the attraction with the RMR dot sight systems, especially for an edc? Curious about why you decided to go with one?

My edc with old school night sights....😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Beaver10
What is the attraction with the RMR dot sight systems, especially for an edc? Curious about why you decided to go with one?

Have you ever used an optic on a long arm?
I've shot dot sights on pistols and they are MUCH faster and More accurate to me... I do not need 15 rounds to get OUT of trouble... I'm not a LEO that goes running into trouble spots.

8 rounds is more than enough for me. 60 year old eyes appreciate red dot sights more than children's eyes do.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
Here.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw1911sc-e-series-round-butt-scandium-frame

Light weight, highly accurate and feeds flawlessly.

and screw the optics on a carry gun.
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I've shot dot sights on pistols and they are MUCH faster and More accurate to me... I do not need 15 rounds to get OUT of trouble... I'm not a LEO that goes running into trouble spots.

8 rounds is more than enough for me. 60 year old eyes appreciate red dot sights more than children's eyes do.

That's great but an Optics Ready HellCat would make a helluva lot more sense than some POS 1911.

Are you two planning on shooting a .45?
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20

Till they don’t work for whatever reason. Screw the dot sights on an EDC. At almost 68 I prefer a weapon that fits good, comes up to a natural point on the draw. As far as weight my Kimber Pro-Carry with 8 230 Gold Dots in the mag and 1 in the pipe is 36 oz. G26 with 12 in the mag and 1 in the pipe is 30 oz. So that’s not a big deal.
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Till they don’t work for whatever reason. Screw the dot sights on an EDC. At almost 68 I prefer a weapon that fits good, comes up to a natural point on the draw. As far as weight my Kimber Pro-Carry with 8 230 Gold Dots in the mag and 1 in the pipe is 36 oz. G26 with 12 in the mag and 1 in the pipe is 30 oz. So that’s not a big deal.

OK, Boomer.
Sig 365 or 320 of your desired flavor with extended mags, or Old Faithful, G19. They just work.
Posted By: papat Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
Go Rock Island for a dependable and affordable option. Have had several and a commander has stayed.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20

OK, Boomer.

Sure didn’t take you long to fall back to your old self. Guess your big reveal and spleel of addiction was nothing but a looking for sympathy BS thread.
Yeah, I'm convinced that the attraction, nowadays, towards 1911s is mostly nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that, but there are better choices available now. Have been for forty years or so. Not to put down the 1911 in the least. I have several, and am a big fan, but I acknowledge the nostalgia component to their appeal for me. I even have one kept loaded in the house. I also would feel quite well armed carrying one, but then I'd also feel well armed carrying a Single Action Army Colt .45. Doesn't make either the best choice in light of what's currently available, though.

Sure didn’t take you long to fall back to your old self. Guess your big reveal and spleel of addiction was nothing but a looking for sympathy BS thread.

I don't know that "swift" is the proper adjective to describe yourself.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
Must be a Commander style or full size. MUST have slide milled to attach a Sig Romeo Zero... this will be an EDC piece...

Sounds like your looking forward to a hip replacement?
Posted By: gunzo Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
I'll suggest a Kimber custom shop Pro CDP in 45 ACP. Aluminum frame, stainless slide, with the works.

Coincidentally, I have a minty one I'd sell. whistle

Oops, no Romeo mounting provision. Dang it.
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Have you ever used an optic on a long arm?

No...Beaver has short arms. 😎
Posted By: UPhiker Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Sig 365 or 320 of your desired flavor with extended mags, or Old Faithful, G19. They just work.

Hell just froze over. I 100% agree with LD!
If you're carrying a Colt .45, I suggest you might want to upgrade- - - - - -Heineken, maybe!
jerry
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
I gotta couple them 1911s.

They cool to shoot.

In da backyard.

Mike
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yeah, I'm convinced that the attraction, nowadays, towards 1911s is mostly nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that, but there are better choices available now. Have been for forty years or so. Not to put down the 1911 in the least. I have several, and am a big fan, but I acknowledge the nostalgia component to their appeal for me. I even have one kept loaded in the house. I also would feel quite well armed carrying one, but then I'd also feel well armed carrying a Single Action Army Colt .45. Doesn't make either the best choice in light of what's currently available, though.

This is accurate...But, when I’m feeling bloated my 1911 fits better. When I’m back to sexy, it’s a Xds in 45acp or G17. 😎
Posted By: navlav8r Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
Wiley Clapp commanders are REALLY nice. I liked my first one so much, I bought another to keep it company 😊

We carry for the unexpected, and you have nooooo idea what that may look like on your bad day.

The old Para P-13 is commander size, and holds 13+1. Not too hard to find someone who could mill the slide for a dot.

Or if magazine capacity really isn't an issue, and you are just in it for the nostalgia, you could go with something like this:

Posted By: Rooster7 Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I gotta couple them 1911s.

They cool to shoot.

In da backyard.

Mike

This
In a .45 ACP EDC pistol I prefer a thinner, single stack, that hugs my side on a sturdy belt and quality horsehide OWB holster. I have a few 1911's but my favorite is my Dan Wesson Valor. It is affordable and full of many of the custom parts you would find in an Ed Brown custom.

[Linked Image]
clic pic for details
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
For hogs and bears I like 15 rounds.

Dan Wesson Heirloom

[Linked Image from cdn.danwessonfirearms.com]

[Linked Image from cdn.danwessonfirearms.com]
Posted By: aalf Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20

Ruger LW Commander(s)......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
Springfield Range Officer. Hard to beat for the money.

Don’t think any mfg makes a Commander sized 1911thats mulled for a heads up type dot sight.
You’ll have to pay a gunsmith to mill the slot on the slide for you no matter what you buy.
Sig 365 of your desired flavor with extended mags, or Old Faithful, G19. They just work.

Hard to beat. I don’t need no stinking Dot sight. 🤠
Posted By: gunner500 Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
Dang Sir, how on earth are you going to conceal that thing in S.C.?
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Sig 365 of your desired flavor with extended mags, or Old Faithful, G19. They just work.

Hard to beat. I don’t need no stinking Dot sight. 🤠

Me either, you saw what a set of factory Triicons do at 50 yards on a 45 ACP gen4 Glock yesterday. cool that's a damn accurate pistol you sold me Buddy.

Colt Gold Cup. Best out there unless you go custom or semi-custom, like a Wilson. Springfield TRP otherwise.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
I’d recommend losing the RMR and go with a Wesson Vigil or Colt Clapp. They’re good to go as is

Seems all the youngsters at the range now have the dot sights on their handguns. I may have to try one. But not for carry.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Dang Sir, how on earth are you going to conceal that thing in S.C.?

It is called a panis...

wink wink wink
laugh Good morning ladies! ; ]

Don’t think any mfg makes a Commander sized 1911thats mulled for a heads up type dot sight.
You’ll have to pay a gunsmith to mill the slot on the slide for you no matter what you buy.

I really enjoy shooting mine, but not my idea of edc.

Serious inquiry or just flappin' yer lips??????????????

MM

That is not a typo or other mistake... It is a medical term...
wink
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

That is not a typo or other mistake... It is a medical term...
wink

Oh chit,i gotta google.
Damn, panis/pannus, rough chit for a humpty to have to drag around, never mind trying to press a sidearm into service, holy sheet! i'll pass on the pie and gallon of dr pepper.
I wonder if the OP has ever carried a 1911 ?
They're a great gun, it's your choice.
For an EDC, I believe there are better choices out there.

Wish you the best.
Damn, panis/pannus, rough chit for a humpty to have to drag around, never mind trying to press a sidearm into service, holy sheet! i'll pass on the pie and gallon of dr pepper.

wink
Posted By: aalf Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Sorry... I'm looking for a Commander length or full size 1911...

Not a striker fired pistol...

A frame that i can install a Sig Romeo Zero on...

I have carried a Colt Commander every day for almost 20 years...
Originally Posted by aalf

Great little carry guns! I’ve owned one in both 9mn and 40 s&w. Very reliable and accurate too.

Then take one of your EDC commanders to the local gunsmith and get it milled.
Probably the best suggestion yet... but I would have liked to have an excuse to buy another gun smile

Wish you the best.

I carried my Baer 45 ACP in a favorite Desert Gun Leather right hand crossdraw on a short errand run this morning, went to the pharmacy, bank drive through, post office, grocery, and parts store, I could indeed tell it was there, but a good fitting tight crossdraw that holds close to the body helps, but agreed with what you wrote, a good Glock or Sig hi-cap makes a better carry pistol.

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Hammer! many, many more to you my Friend. smile
Probably the best suggestion yet... but I would have liked to have an excuse to buy another gun smile

Ed Brown will make you one with the RMR and the high sights set to properly co-witness, along with any other customer option you can imagine.

Probably be around 4k out the door.

Here's a nice one from Triarc systems for only $3500

https://triarcsystems.com/product/t...k-commander-frame-rmr-cut-black-nitride/

[Linked Image from triarcsystems.com]
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I really enjoy shooting mine, but not my idea of edc.

A lightweight Commander is a dream to edc if you have a good IWB holster and proper belt. Even an all steel Government Model can be an edc but, in the case of an all steel GM, by the end of the day you are generally feeling it a little, particularly if you've been active and sweating at any point during the day.
Posted By: 79S Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20

I carry a 1858 Remington in .36 caliber.. I carry 4 extra cylinders for that oh [bleep] moment.. my all time favorite movie is Pale Rider, where Clint takes out everyone great movie.
Originally Posted by 79S

I carry a 1858 Remington in .36 caliber.. I carry 4 extra cylinders for that oh [bleep] moment.. my all time favorite movie is Pale Rider, where Clint takes out everyone great movie.

I have a Springfield Armory TRP RMR. Very High quality. Accurate. I wouldn’t carry it EDC but it’s the best I’ve handled so far. Can be found for $1800ish and meets your specs.
Thanks I'd forgotten about some of these
Originally Posted by hunter4623
I have a Springfield Armory TRP RMR. Very High quality. Accurate. I wouldn’t carry it EDC but it’s the best I’ve handled so far. Can be found for $1800ish and meets your specs.

My TRP was my edc for a few years. Carried it in a Milt Sparks VM II on a good Galco 2.5" gun belt. Once you get used to the feel, and aren't particularly active while carrying (not running around), you can pretty quickly get to the point where it feels funny not to be carrying it.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20
Check out the Sig Nightmare Carry. It just might fit your bill. My fullsize Sig Nightmare has been flawless in operation and mine has a real nice trigger. The Dan Wesson is about as close to a custom as you will find. My suggestion is to handle them before buying as the triggers will vary from gun to gun.
Posted By: johnw Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/11/20

OK, Boomer.

Just blew cheerios and bananas on my new 27" monitor!!!
CZ/Dan Wesson also offers a pretty good First responder and military discount.
Another plug for Wesson. The TCP seems like a fine weapon.

There is an ECP in my future, for now my EDC is a Guardian.

There's also a HK45C for sale in the classifieds, damned fine pistol.

Wish you the best.

I carried my Baer 45 ACP in a favorite Desert Gun Leather right hand crossdraw on a short errand run this morning, went to the pharmacy, bank drive through, post office, grocery, and parts store, I could indeed tell it was there, but a good fitting tight crossdraw that holds close to the body helps, but agreed with what you wrote, a good Glock or Sig hi-cap makes a better carry pistol.

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Hammer! many, many more to you my Friend. smile

Thanks for the BD wishes.
Cary a 1911, one needs a good holster. A good holster makes it easy money.
Take care

he's alive!!!!!!!!
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/wts-dan-wesson-1911-tcp-45-acp.155572/

Good deal. Not mine
Posted By: efw Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/13/20
I won a Remington R1 Commander through Whelenman’s club raffle several years ago and it’s fantastic. Carried it last two days.

Don’t disagree it’s nostalgic and that there are better voices for EDC but I’m also extraordinarily confident with it.

Amazing to me the options that come as a matter of course on stock 1911s these days compared to just 10-20 yrs ago.

The Romeo goes on the slide, not on the frame.................but I'm sure you knew that, well maybe.

Kimber makes 2-3 models/versions that come with an optic sight.....................go to their website & sort through all their models & you will find them. All are under $1500, IIRC.

MM
Does anyone own a 6" barreled 1911? Been looking at a few .45ACP and 10mm 1911's from Dan Wesson and Fusion. Idea is they facilitate better marksmanship with the longer sight radius. Obviously a bit heavier at 41.87 oz to 43.9 oz. Does anyone have any experience carrying one of these? Shooting a head shot across a church auditorium got me to thinking about a longer site radius.

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]
Posted By: Gibby Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Wiley Clapp commanders are REALLY nice. I liked my first one so much, I bought another to keep it company 😊

You can't beat this one. Made one at a time by the masters. I have more 1911's than most. This is my EDC when I pull out on the main road.

Practice correctly, then you are not under gunned if you stay out of Little Nigeria.
I haven't seem many Wiley's with a red dot lately, though.

MM
Okie
My TRP is a 10mm longslide. It’s a handful to try and conceal. Comes with high factory iron sights to use thru the RMR. The extra sight radius is nice but I doubt it’ll make a substantial difference at potential gunfighting ranges. Possible added accuracy vs harder to conceal and draw smoothly = a wash in my opinion.
Posted By: Gibby Re: I Want a New 1911/.45acp - 01/14/20
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I haven't seem many Wiley's with a red dot lately, though.

MM

You probably never will. The oversize slot rear and that fantastic Gold bead up front work very well with old eyes.
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Okie
My TRP is a 10mm longslide. It’s a handful to try and conceal. Comes with high factory iron sights to use thru the RMR. The extra sight radius is nice but I doubt it’ll make a substantial difference at potential gunfighting ranges. Possible added accuracy vs harder to conceal and draw smoothly = a wash in my opinion.

So more of a big game hunting weapon?
© 24hourcampfire