Home
Posted By: AAAOA Getting into hunting as an adult - 01/12/20
Hey all,

I'm new here. Growing up I've spent a good bit of time outdoors between becoming an eagle scout, running cross country, helping my dad and step mom on their little farm, and generally just spending time in the woods. In fact, I've enjoyed it so much I am studying for a degree in wildlife biology.

Over the last year or so I've really gotten an itch to start hunting. I grew up shooting, but my parents never took me hunting, just a lot of fishing. It seems like a great way to spend more time in the outdoors and become more familiar with the food I eat, hoping back into the food chain if you will.

I'm really excited, but I have no idea where to start. I have a 30-06 single shot on the way, and I figure at some point I need to get a hunting license and attend a hunters safety course, but other than that I am a bit clueless. Should I hire a guide? Wander around until I figure it out on my own? My father hasn't hunted in a long time and he really only hunted birds, none of my friends are exactly hunters either being that I am in suburban northern Virginia.

How should I go about this? Thanks
I've enjoyed it so much I am studying for a degree in wildlife biology.

At our university in Anchorage; they teach up to 30% of all animals might be gay. What do you think about this, and how could this affect cow bull ratios?
Only a gay professor could come up with that one.
To quote an advertising slogan from some years ago 'Just Do It'.

Hunt, maybe read a little on questions you might have, but just doing it will get you far. Nothing beats just being out there. You'll figure out what does and doesn't work for you.

Let your DNA take control.
Originally Posted by watch4bear

At our university in Anchorage; they teach up to 30% of all animals might be gay. What do you think about this, and how could this affect cow bull ratios?

ROFL!!
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Well dang.

So that's why them diary cows I've seen out in the pasture trying to hump each other are doing that...................

lesbian dairy cows, who'd have think it?

Geno

PS bulls being bulls, they just want to hump anything. Like dogs.
Originally Posted by AAAOA
Over the last year or so I've really gotten an itch to start hunting. I grew up shooting, but my parents never took me hunting, just a lot of fishing. It seems like a great way to spend more time in the outdoors and become more familiar with the food I eat, hoping back into the food chain if you will.\

With ordering a .30-06 and in VA it sounds like you want to jump right into the deep water of deer hunting. May I suggest you also pick up a .22 and start (aside from the license/hunter safety, range time etc) by going squirrel hunting? VA has a long season and there are very few things about deer hunting you cannot learn by squirrel hunting.
AAAOA.

I started as an adult too, with little instruction from anyone. Like you, I loved the outdoors. Spend as much time out there as you can, hunting or not. Keep your eyes and ears open and learn what the critters will tell you.

I agree with the Just Do It mentality.

If you can find a friend or mentor, so much the better.

Above all, stay safe.

Geno

PS, don't believe the 6.5 Creedmore crowd, that '06 will work just fine.
Originally Posted by Pugs
Over the last year or so I've really gotten an itch to start hunting. I grew up shooting, but my parents never took me hunting, just a lot of fishing. It seems like a great way to spend more time in the outdoors and become more familiar with the food I eat, hoping back into the food chain if you will.\

With ordering a .30-06 and in VA it sounds like you want to jump right into the deep water of deer hunting. May I suggest you also pick up a .22 and start (aside from the license/hunter safety, range time etc) by going squirrel hunting? VA has a long season and there are very few things about deer hunting you cannot learn by squirrel hunting.

This too ^^^^^^

and squirrel is quite tasty.

Geno
Since you're in Virginia you could start huntin' Democrats first, they should be easy to find. 🤣🤣🤣
Whatever your targeted quarry, study some YouTube videos on what to do with it after your kill. Be prepared. Knife at a minimum. Baggies, rubber gloves, paracord all come in handy during dressing a deer at times.

Also know your laws on transporting game. Can you quarter it or have to leave whole? Proof of sex? Do you have to re I’ve all brain matter before crossing state lines? Leavea wing on for duck identification. That kind of thing. All easy stuff, but know the answer before your hunt.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Geno

Yep, it is.
Yes. Read the regs, license up, try scratching up some mentors, also secure a 22 LR, knife, binos and spotting scope, shoot a lot striving for accuracy, ask permission, and just get out there. Tough in an eastern state with mostly deeded lands, but can be done

If one comes west, some guided experiences might help, but that's an expensive route. You are young, however, and have lots of time. Public land agencies, local wardens, and wildlife agencies can help too.

Several state agencies offer short courses or classes on many aspects of hunting. Often they target kids, but offering to help out with those will still yield the desired experiences and contacts.

Lots of hunting shows out there with helpful hints too, but those folks are mostly sponsored, are promoting products, locations, or guides, and have more success and more trophies available than John Doe.

Chasing things with a camera can be even more challenging and yield the same lessons with a year round season.

With a sincere and polite attitude, one might secure some help here as well. Might need some tough skin and ability to tolerate a bit of abuse though.

If one eventually settles in eastern Oregon, send a PM. Cookie and I will exploit any reason to get out.

Best of luck and see you around,

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Same as a 12 year old.

Follow your heart.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Whatever your targeted quarry, study some YouTube videos on what to do with it after your kill. Be prepared. Knife at a minimum. Baggies, rubber gloves, paracord all come in handy during dressing a deer at times.

Also know your laws on transporting game. Can you quarter it or have to leave whole? Proof of sex? Do you have to re I’ve all brain matter before crossing state lines? Leavea wing on for duck identification. That kind of thing. All easy stuff, but know the answer before your hunt.

I don't know how I did it without Youtube videos. Amazing we even exist, how guys figured out what hole to but it in is amazing.
AAAOA.

I started as an adult too, with little instruction from anyone. Like you, I loved the outdoors. Spend as much time out there as you can, hunting or not. Keep your eyes and ears open and learn what the critters will tell you.

I agree with the Just Do It mentality.

If you can find a friend or mentor, so much the better.

Above all, stay safe.

Geno

PS, don't believe the 6.5 Creedmore crowd, that '06 will work just fine.

PSS: Learn how to spell Creedmoor if you are going to become a hunter.

Agree with that. My last 3 deer were shot out of hickory trees.
I agree with just getting out and getting started, you'll learn as you go. Kind of like s labrador retriever saying I'd kind of like to get into fetching a ball. There's thousands of years of instinct in your DNA. You'll figure it out as you go.

Bb
My last 3 deer were shot out of hickory trees.

Damn! I've never thought of looking up across all these years. Looking for deer in all the wrong places. No nut trees here, but I know they're fond of apples.

Have a good one.
Are there any cats in your neighborhood?

Get good with a pellet rifle or .22, lest you develop a flinch.
AAAOA,

It is a journey- you will not be good at it at first, but every year you will get better.

You are welcome to come to S.C. and hunt deer with me a few days if you like. The season is out for this yea but starts next August 15, though I don’t recommend August or September as it is so hot it’s not fun. October is the best. I try to take a new hunter every year till they get their first deer.

First, there are a lot of deer in Northern VA. Do you have access to private land you can hunt? There is a good amount of public ground to hunt up there including Fort Belvoir and the Andrews Air Force Base Communication site. Both places were bow hunting only but had lots of deer. There are some state game lands available to hunt in both Virginia and Maryland. The Patuxent Naval Air Station has a lot of deer. There is also good deer hunting on the Quantico Marine base.

Do you know how to shoot, or mount a scope to a rifle- no shame if you don’t as everyone has to start somewhere. If not, you can YouTube those things but better yet would be to find someone to show you those basics. I have a good friend that I was in the Marines with that lives up there- he is an excellent shot and hunter. I will see what he is up to.

Take this spring to get your rifle up and running. When using the 30-06 virtually any Remington, Winchester or Federal ammunition will suffice. You will probably be best with bullets that weigh 150 or 165 grains and it will give you the weight on the box. You probably don’t want to mix and match those two bullet weights because they may not shoot to the same point of impact on your target.

Get a decent scope. You don’t have to spend a lot - you can get something that will work well for under $200 if you shop around. For an inexpensive brand you might try Burris, Vortex, Weaver or even Bushnell. There are many more good ones those are just a few. Do not but a cheap scope as I can promise you it will not serve you well.

Make sure you wear hearing protection when you shoot and shoot from a solid rest to get your rifle sighted in.

I will send you a Private Message to give you some more ideas.

Think back to other things you started from scratch and how you didn’t know much at first, but persisted. Deer hunting is the same- you will feel awkward at first, but after a while it will become much easier.

The best part is that deer hunting can be be very relaxing. I find I really relax while I am hunting and notice that my breathing and pulse slows down. It’s really a good way to recharge your batteries and put perspective on life.

Dan
And some hunters’ safety courses can be mostly done online, some states have even dropped the show up and shoot session.
Originally Posted by slumlord
And some hunters’ safety courses can be mostly done online, some states have even dropped the show up and shoot session.

Show up and shoot?? That wasn't even a part of it when I got my certification back in the 1980s. Just hours of classes and a multiple choice test.
Shooting was part of it for me in 81.
Originally Posted by ScottBrad

Varies by state, I assume.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I did it in Florida
I have a 30-06 single shot on the way,

What kind of 30-06 single shot and what do you mean by "on the way"?

You said you have no idea where to start, what made you choose the 30-06 and why a single shot?
Hunter Ed: We shoot 10-22's, 223's, 20 gauges, and 50 cal muzzle loaders. Location specific though as some kids in the urban areas do a pellet gun or even a laser shot system. We do targets, clays, and blow up water jugs.

No adult requirement in Oregon, but kids <18 must do either an online or hands on course and every kid must attend a shooting session.

A kid can hunt/shoot on a mentor's tag without the course. If one can scratch up a few mentors, he might bag several animals in a season.

Kids fill out a post-test evaluation card at the end of our course. One of my favorite comments from last season was, "I'm really glad my parents made me take this course."
I actually didn't even have to take the course in the 1980s if I didn't want to. I was grandfathered in. I had gotten a small game hunting license in the 1970s (either before the course was required for a hunting license, or small game didn't require a certification at that time ... not sure which), and at that time if you could show an old license, that served the same function as a hunter safety certification for all future licenses, big or small game. I took the course in the 1980s just because I was curious what it was like, and then I decided to go ahead and take the test and get a proper certification card.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I did it in Florida

New York for me. But earlier, I got my first small game license in the 1970s to go squirrel hunting with my cousin in North Carolina. No certification was required at that time for that.
The guy asks legitimate questions and some of you asses respond like that? When we should encourage everyone who wants to hunt?

OP, you will have to complete a Hunter ed/safety course before purchasing a licence. Ask if there is a first time Hunter mentor program. Watch youtube videos, lots of good info readily available that wasnt there when I started in the early 80s. Read magazines relating to hunting.

As Pugs suggested, buy a 22LR rifle lots of cheap practice and you can hunt small game. Do not over scope your rifles. A 2-7 or 3-9Ă—40 is plenty. 30-06 is a good choice. Would have went a bolt action myself, but that is what I am used to.

You likely learned as an Eagle Scout that layered clothing is the way to go. You don't need to break the bank. I'd spend more on the baselayers and save elsewhere. Good boots, hats, and gloves also deserve more attention.

Join a local fish and game club, maybe you can find a hunting part there. Also, check a state hunting forum. I know Alberta Outdoorsmen forum has a thread where people try to find mentors/partners.

Don't over knife. 4" is max in my books. 3" better.

Study what your game needs to survive, then find land that has those necessities. Knock on doors and obtain permission.

Just get out there and do it.

82 for me, we shot on the Babe Ruth field lol

The coach made the hunter’s safety course a six weeks alternative to volleyball.
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I don't know how I did it without Youtube videos. Amazing we even exist, how guys figured out what hole to but it in is amazing.

In the simplest advice “cut off anything that looks like you don’t want to eat it” will get him there. Without a mentor though, a video will improve the learning curve.
Study what your game needs to survive,

He said he was going to pursue a degree in biology; try and keep up. crazy
We will all die, some much sooner than others. For some reason that I can't explain, God chooses a few to heal and postpone the inevitable. Maybe that person has more of God's work to do. Maybe he will convince someone of God's love because of it. We just can't know but God has his reasons. It's not our job to criticize him, just to praise him.
My 1st wife died of cancer at 55. She was an accomplished teacher in area Christian schools and was regarded as one of the best around. Parents tried to get their kids in her classes. If she could have taught another 10 years until she retired, that would have been another 250 kids she could have reached. But, God chose to take her home. I can't explain it but my job was to praise him for his ultimate wisdom.
Thanks for all the responses, definitely wasn't expecting so many so fast but I greatly appreciate it. Answering a few questions,

I have shot before, from .22lr to 12 gauge to 8mm Mauser, and while I am certainly not the best shot I am getting better. I also don't really know how to mount a scope, I've really only shot iron sights.

I have a little 10/22 at my dad's place and a little .177 pellet gun that I've popped a few house sparrows and chipmunks with off the back porch.

I hadn't really thought of squirrel hunting before, but it definitely makes a lot of sense. Squirrel season is until the end of February here, so that gives me time to knock the rest out.

I picked .30-06 because it seemed to be a good middle ground of a caliber. I'm halfway through college and have no idea where I'll end up next. 30-06 seems like it'll be able to work just as well on east coast white tails as it would west coast elk or Alaskan bear. Just wanted to have a versatile caliber.

It is "on the way" as in I am in the middle of an FFL transfer for the rifle and it should hopefully be in my hands within a couple more days.

The single shot over a bolt gun is a combination of becoming really interested in these weird european "kipplauf rifles" and most people saying that they almost always fire just one shot when hunting. At the least I'll be more inclined to pick a good shot.

Thanks so much for all the advice and the warm welcome. I really appreciate it and hopefully I've got something to show for it over the next year.

This too ^^^^^^

Geno

Squirrel hunting is also a great teacher.

You learn patience, how to listen, observe, move, read sign, and not only of squirrels but that of other animals, their habits and habitats, as well.

Some of the most productive hunting lessons result from things you see and sign you learn to recognize and mistakes made while squirrel hunting.

A good hunter should eat what he shoots. That being said, if you have never done it before, start with squirrel hunting, possibly rabbit. Learn to skin out and process the animals for food. Learn the anatomy of a deer. Go with a friend or group and watch them field gut the deer. You can even skin out and process the meat yourself if you want. Doing it by yourself will take a lot of time learning before you get good meat to eat.

Get the Hunter's Bible if they still print them and read through it. If you don't know what you are doing, you can spoil the meat.
Welcome, In addition to safety and learning the fieldcraft of finding game, I hope you become a "trophy meat hunter". It would likely be easier to learn how to skin a squirrel without getting hair all over the meat or field dress and cool a deer with first hand instruction..... but there are abundant books and online resources if you are unable to find a local mentor.

In general wild game is very lean and easy to over cook, let us know what you plan to hunt and we can make better suggestions about producing delicious wild game meals.
Clark Brothers gun shop and shooting range is near you in Warrenton. Been awhile, but it used to be a damn good shop. Guys there could help you out a lot if you go in with the right attitude. Bull run in Manassas has trap and skeet. I know it's not hunting but some good shooting and probably meet some hunters there.
You still serious next fall, send me a PM and I'll take you with me and my son. Were 2 hours max from you, and can show you a lot of National Forest/State wildlife management areas open to the public and with good game. If we luck into some game I can show you how to care for and process the game afterwards too.

AAOA: Become a kid again!! Have a burning desire to be out in the woods regardless of the weather. Look with wonder upon a sunrise, imagine the celebration that would be thrown if we only had one sunrise every decade. Be quiet in your endeavors, nothing sends a jarring note into the woods like a loud human voice. Let your heart go absolutely crazy when you see an animal you want to take. Don't be ashamed of being a hunter, be proud, you have thousands of years of DNA to guide you. Enjoy!!!
5 pages already??

And no....

I’m disappointed in this campfire.

Hey FNG.....GFY

đź‘Ť
Spidey sensing a bear trap......
Ot6, 8mm.......

LOL!!!!
Thanks for all the responses, definitely wasn't expecting so many so fast but I greatly appreciate it. Answering a few questions,

I have shot before, from .22lr to 12 gauge to 8mm Mauser, and while I am certainly not the best shot I am getting better. I also don't really know how to mount a scope, I've really only shot iron sights.

I have a little 10/22 at my dad's place and a little .177 pellet gun that I've popped a few house sparrows and chipmunks with off the back porch.

I hadn't really thought of squirrel hunting before, but it definitely makes a lot of sense. Squirrel season is until the end of February here, so that gives me time to knock the rest out.

I picked .30-06 because it seemed to be a good middle ground of a caliber. I'm halfway through college and have no idea where I'll end up next. 30-06 seems like it'll be able to work just as well on east coast white tails as it would west coast elk or Alaskan bear. Just wanted to have a versatile caliber.

It is "on the way" as in I am in the middle of an FFL transfer for the rifle and it should hopefully be in my hands within a couple more days.

The single shot over a bolt gun is a combination of becoming really interested in these weird european "kipplauf rifles" and most people saying that they almost always fire just one shot when hunting. At the least I'll be more inclined to pick a good shot.

Thanks so much for all the advice and the warm welcome. I really appreciate it and hopefully I've got something to show for it over the next year.

I suggest you practice loading a second round real quick after firing your first. Also don't "admire" the shot RELOAD QUICKLY!!!

Ask the FFL dealer on how to mount a scope.
Best to find an experienced friend.
My advice would be to secure a place to go first. Then go to a shooting range and practice safe gun handling and shooting.
If you have a place to go hunt you won't have any problem inviting an experienced hunter to go with you. Then ask questions and listen. Start reading, your state hunting regulations first, then anything about your hunting interests.

Good luck and enjoy your time in the woods.
Go to the NRA Richmond event tomorrow and talk to other hunters.
Find a couple of gun clubs. Go to their new member meetings. Pick the one you like best and join it.
Go through their orientation programs for various activities (Pistol, rifle, shotgun, archery, indoor) talk to people.
Participate in an Apple Seed shoot, talk to people.

The club will probably have a stack of old magazines lying around. Try reading a few articles about hunting/shooting.

Attend the monthly club meetings.

Essentially talk to people in the know.
If you want to hunt you need to get access to places to hunt. For that you need to know some people who know people...

So get to know some people.
keep in mind, in VA you need more than just permission to hunt private lands. You actually need written permission.
There are a lot of public lands (WMAs, and NF) that do not get much pressure after openers, and if you will walk over 1/4 mile from the parking lot. Enjoy, learn from others, get the VA Wildlife magazine, too.
Hey all,

I'm new here. Growing up I've spent a good bit of time outdoors between becoming an eagle scout, running cross country, helping my dad and step mom on their little farm, and generally just spending time in the woods. In fact, I've enjoyed it so much I am studying for a degree in wildlife biology.

Over the last year or so I've really gotten an itch to start hunting. I grew up shooting, but my parents never took me hunting, just a lot of fishing. It seems like a great way to spend more time in the outdoors and become more familiar with the food I eat, hoping back into the food chain if you will.

I'm really excited, but I have no idea where to start. I have a 30-06 single shot on the way, and I figure at some point I need to get a hunting license and attend a hunters safety course, but other than that I am a bit clueless. Should I hire a guide? Wander around until I figure it out on my own? My father hasn't hunted in a long time and he really only hunted birds, none of my friends are exactly hunters either being that I am in suburban northern Virginia.

Find a hunting buddy who can show you the ropes. Also, consider starting with a .22 rimfire rifle and a shotgun to go after small game, like squirrels and rabbits.

BTW, forget the .30-06. Go with either a .270 or a 6.5 Creedmoor. grin

Interesting choice of rifle, mind posting a link or photo of your new rifle?

Why the hold up at the FFL?
Get a bird feeder, stock it with black oil sunflower seeds

Scoped pellet rifle, comfy chair, a bag of Fritos for yourself. Pick off the fat, lazy, mostly tame house sparrows that visit.

Set up 15 yards or less.

You’ll be GTG should you ever find yourself in Texas. grin
I haven't hunted Northern VA for over 15 years now. But when my oldest son lived in the Leesburg area in the late 1990s and early 2000s he and I would go squirrel hunting in the Thompson Wildlife Management Area. I never saw so many squirrels in my life as I saw there. Had 17 go by me one day while deer hunting there in a 1/2 hour span if I remember correctly. A good place to start.
Deer hunting there was iffy. People riding horses and hikers on the Appalachian Trail making it rough. Did see deer though.
That 30-06 would be a good all-around gun for deer. Don't know if you really would need a scope on it. Saw a hunter with an M1 Garand out hunting deer there.
Yes, youtube is a great place to learn how to hunt. Rule number one:
Originally Posted by hanco

Best advice yet
me too.
If you are interested in spring turkey hunting, send me a PM.
Good advice above. Library books on hunting are pretty cheap too, if they have them and you return them on time,.. smile

Most states have a separate archery season that can extend annual hunting experience. Archers tend to be more anal about EVERYTHING than us gun-only guys. It's a good way to learn faster and perhaps more thoroughly. So are camera trips or walkabouts and as much time as you can spend in the woods just observing. If you locate a hunting area, get familiar with it before season if you can - not just the terrain, observe the critters as well.

Decent binoculars are a must, valuable even in pretty dense cover.- not sure in your situation how valuable a spotting scope would be, as yet.

NEVER use your rifle scope to "glass" with - hence the binocs.

Never fully trust a safety. If shooting isn't imminent, or likely so, carry the rifle with chamber empty. There is lively discussion on this from time to time here......... but anything that can go wrong happens all the time. An empty chamber CANNOT "accidentally" discharge. This is in ADDITION, to all the usual safety rules about muzzle control, etc.

If hunting in wet, cold weather where things might freeze inside the bolt or trigger mechanisms, hunt it "dry"- without oil. Dry to touch "one-step" products such a Eezox or Corrosion X work very well for this, protecting against finger prints, rust, and provide enough lubrication, and do not gum up with dirt, thicken with cold or freeze.

Don't bring a cold gun into a warm place - condensation will form on it, inside and out. Leave it outside, or wrap it in a blanket or sleeping bag (cooled) to bring it in to warm gradually.

Never store a firearm in a case, unless it is lightweight and breathable. Especially a wet firearm....

Take dated notes/keep a journal. I wish I had - never did. Memory goes to hell a few years removed. And take pictures, with notation.

Nothing wrong with a single shot. As you said, it helps encourage selective shooting and placement.

My wife and I hunted with a .260 bolt repeating rifle that had a broken extractor last fall, making it a "single shot"- at least until the fired brass cooled enough to shrink and fall out of the chamber again, when tilted vertically. And yes, we did have a 30-06 bolt action repeater with us. Didn't need it.

The "single shot" took a decent bull caribou for each of us, on successive days.

I meant to replace that extractor last winter.....I'll get to it this winter, yet. I hope.

Good luck on your endeavors.

Really good Kharma to find a guy old enough to be getting reluctant to go out on his own.
You do the heavy lifting, he imparts knowledge on you.

Hauling a carcass out is in a sense like shoveling snow. You can get in over your head and wind up in trouble if you don't take it slow, particularly if your ticker is not as flexible as it used to be.

Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Really good Kharma to find a guy old enough to be getting reluctant to go out on his own.
You do the heavy lifting, he imparts knowledge on you.

Hauling a carcass out is in a sense like shoveling snow. You can get in over your head and wind up in trouble if you don't take it slow, particularly if your ticker is not as flexible as it used to be.

If the guy only has one leg, don’t ask him to show you the ropes.
Originally Posted by mirage243
Since you're in Virginia you could start huntin' Democrats first, they should be easy to find. 🤣🤣🤣

Don't do it. By the time you get 'em skinned, and remove the nasty bits, there's nothing left.
" John said"

LOL!!!
Originally Posted by renegade50
" John said"

LOL!!!
have ya seen my leg around,? I feel naked without it
If you were in ohio, I'd likely take you hunting, myself. I've apprenticed a couple younger hunters already, and would like to find a couple reliable hunting partners.
A good friend of mine was my main hunting partner, but lost his job, then lost his house to the bank. He had to move out of state to support his family.
© 24hourcampfire