Home
Posted By: savatage Need new tires - 01/12/20
I have a 2001 Chevy S10 in very good condition with only 88,000 miles on it. Has a set(4) of 31/10.5/15 Kelly Safari TSA`s .
Looking for some new tires.
Opinions on these - Falken Wildpeak AT3 , Cooper Discover AT3 , or get another set of Kelly`s ?
Truck has a 2" lift kit , might go with 235 or 265/75 R 15 this time. Thanks
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Need new tires - 01/12/20
Make popcorn.
Posted By: hanco Re: Need new tires - 01/12/20
I buy nothing but Michelin tires. I’m popping some popcorn as we post. Got a couple Bud Lites on ice too.
Yup on the Michelins. I keep looking at Goodyear Silent Armor tires, but I don't need tires.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Need new tires - 01/12/20
You ought to ask for recommendations on chainsaws and chili while you are at it.

Just get it all out of the way in one thread. grin
Is that all Barry? laugh
Posted By: TwoEyedJack Re: Need new tires - 01/12/20
I just got a set of these for my F250 at discount tire for a very good price. They have been excellent so far. They had a longer warranty than the Michelins, made in America, and about $50 a tire cheaper.

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-atp-suv
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Need new tires - 01/12/20

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/falken-wildpeak-a-t3w
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Need new tires - 01/12/20
You live in snow country, get Nokians.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Need new tires - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You ought to ask for recommendations on chainsaws and chili while you are at it.

Story of our lives.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Need new tires - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Is that all Barry? laugh

It's enough for Chapter One.... wink
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Need new tires - 01/12/20
I just a couple of months ago put a new set of Firestone Destination A/T2 on my 3rd Gen 4runner and I am more than happy with them. It had the original Destination AT on it and I got about 45,000 miles out of them but they were terrible on a wet road from day one. These 2nd gen Destination A/T2 tires has a new rubber compound and a lot of Siping in the tread, plus they are 3-peak snow rated now and they are the best tires I have ever had on this 4runner.

I can now go around a turn in the rain without fishtailing. Oh, and did I say they are very quiet.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Need new tires - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by hanco
I buy nothing but Michelin tires. I’m popping some popcorn as we post. Got a couple Bud Lites on ice too.

Ditto on the tires, and popcorn, but gin and tonic for liquid refreshment.

these if you had 16"

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/goodyear-wrangler-ultraterrain-at
Posted By: SFCSNOW Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
Falken Wildpeak AT3s are my favorite tires. Smooth ride. Quiet. Tread has saved me from several bad situations. The only tires that’s held up even close as long were BFGs.
Posted By: hanco Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
Stihl chainsaws and Wolfbrand chili, plus a few Bud Lights to wash it down.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
Nothing wrong with asking about tires, it just comes up so often. The old 'fire it still is.
Posted By: 2five7 Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
Definitely the Cooper at3. Awesome all around tires
Posted By: duck911 Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
I run Falken WIldpeaks on all of my bigger vehicles.

I order them on Amazon, tax free, free shipping to my front door WAYYYY cheaper than I can find anything similar locally. And a trusted local tire shop mounts/balances for $15 per.
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Make popcorn.

You gonna use a nonstick skillet or a cast iron skillet ?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
High tech, microwave. laugh
Posted By: savatage Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
Thanks for your inputs,cut`s,n ribs wink My popcorn needs extra salt .

I like these , alot like the Kelly Safari .
Wildpeak A/T3W
31 X10.50R15 LT 109S C1 RBL
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20

lots of Falkin WP talk here

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/packed-with-technology-falken-wildpeak-a-t3w.419869/
Posted By: gutthooked Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
I run falken, hold up well and ride quiet.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20

you know you're a tire slut when you put General Grabber AT's on your UTV trailer

PS.....another good choice in 15"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: smarquez Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Oil, dino vs. synthetic and oil change intervals.
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by savatage
I have a 2001 Chevy S10 in very good condition with only 88,000 miles on it. Has a set(4) of 31/10.5/15 Kelly Safari TSA`s .
Looking for some new tires.
Opinions on these - Falken Wildpeak AT3 , Cooper Discover AT3 , or get another set of Kelly`s ?
Truck has a 2" lift kit , might go with 235 or 265/75 R 15 this time. Thanks

I've run the Kelly's and they are good tires. They wore well. I rotated them but not as often as you're supposed to and they never cupped or wore uneven. However, the last 3 or 4 sets of tires have been Cooper AT3s. The current set is the AT3 XLTs. They seem to be just like the previous sets. They are quiet, go well in the snow and are wearing even. I have no complaints with either.

Edit to add: The truck for all of these tires is a GMC Sierra 2500 HD.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20

GENERAL GRABBER ATX All- Season Radial Tire-31/1050R1 109S

General Grabber AT2 265/70R15 112 S Tire
Posted By: hanco Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
I’m out of popcorn and beer!
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
I research TireRack.com for good choices. Love the comparision charts and reviews from actual buyers. That lead me to putting Firestone tires on several of my vehciles and could not be happier.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Need new tires - 01/13/20
I used to use Cooper and have not been disappointed. But their marketing has changed. They used to only sell to independent shops and offered $50-$80 rebates several times a year. The rebates along with independent tire store pricing made it hard to buy anything else. They now only sell to the bigger chains and I haven't seen a rebate in a while. When I was looking for new tires in November they were more expensive than I was willing to pay.

Falken gets an awful lot of good reviews and I strongly considered them. The guy who runs the tire store where I've bought for the last 30 years recommended these instead.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=Encounter+AT

Same tire as the Falken, made in the same factory with another name on the sidewall. A good bit less expensive through him. This is the tire I was planning to buy.

BUT... My tire guy decided to retire and closed his shop before I got back to buy tires. I bought these instead from our Sams Club. I have about 2000 miles on them and have been very pleased. They are a new tire and there are very few reviews on them. They are priced to sell for now, but if they take off I'd not be surprised to see them go up. They ended up a lot cheaper than Cooper, about the same as Falken and only about $40 more than Sumitomo.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+All+Terrain+Plus
© 24hourcampfire