Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck The 50's - 01/13/20
I don't know how to embed this here so you'll have to go watch it. I remember almost everything on it.

https://safeshare.tv/x/FEDEwZHZXu
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: The 50's - 01/13/20
Me too, from mid 50s to mid 60s. Hated Steve Allen.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: The 50's - 01/13/20
I remember every one, including Ike getting elected in 1952. What was Nixon's dog's name?
Jerry
Posted By: luv2safari Re: The 50's - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I remember every one, including Ike getting elected in 1952. What was Nixon's dog's name?
Jerry

Checkers
Posted By: baldhunter Re: The 50's - 01/13/20
Great video.I was born in 1956 so I remember much of it.Things were great until those fugging beatels came along.
Posted By: dale06 Re: The 50's - 01/13/20
Born in 51, remember lots of it.
Has the world ever changed.
Posted By: Craigster Re: The 50's - 01/13/20
As we say, those were the days. Remember them well.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The 50's - 01/13/20
Watching stuff like this makes you aware of how prevalent smoking was in those days. It seemed like cigarette adds were on tv every 15 min all day long.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: The 50's - 01/13/20
Cool video.... I was born in '50 so I remember most of it. Back about 1956 I recall asking my father, "who's Ike?". I knew who Eisenhauer was but couldn't figure out who "Ike" was. But I knew lots of folks liked Ike. And cigarettes were so prevalent it seemed like almost every adult male and many females were smokers. Us kids even had the candy cigarettes, remember those ?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: The 50's - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by dale06

Same here. (There are few things that are "mis-decaded".)
Posted By: hanco Re: The 50's - 01/13/20
Born in 53, remember most of that!
Posted By: baldhunter Re: The 50's - 01/13/20
For those of us that were around during that time.Remember the JFK assassination,the Beatels and how all the girls went crazy over them and all the long hair rock bands that followed with the drugs,protest,anti-war and hippies.My how quickly things changed in this country.Read the lyrics of this John Lennon song Imagine and compare it to what the democrat party is pushing today https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnlennon/imagine.html .Then the 45 goals of the Communist party to take over America. https://rense.com/general32/americ.htm Is it all part of a big plan?
Posted By: deflave Re: The 50's - 01/13/20
JamesJr. @ 0:17.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
Born in ‘50; I remember a lot of that. I do remember the candy cigarettes too.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
Images will not work tonight, James Dean, T shirt, Camel cigarettes rolled in the sleeve.
Posted By: Filaman Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
I remember most all of it. I never played chutes and ladders but i remember it and most all of the people on here. I was born in January, 48 so I was around for most of it. I love the ,cars. One thing I don 't see much are Pontiacs. It's all Cadillacs, Olds, Fords, Lincolns, Chryslers, Buicks, Chevys but not many Pontiacs. Hell, they ushered in the Muscle Cars. 389 was the engine in the stock '59, '60, '61, '62 , all the way through 66. In 64 they stuck it in the light weight Tempest and the Muscle Car was born. Then for '67 they bored it out to 400. GTOs are everywhere but Where are the full size battleships? Catalina's, Grand Prixs, Star Chiefs, Bonnevilles? I watch the reality build and restoration shows, Bitchin' Rides, Iron Resurection, Overhaulin', Graveyard Cars, Junk Yard Empire, and Texas Metal, on Motor Trend channel, but they never do a Pontiac. Well, Bitchin' Rides did an old Pontiac, a '54 once but never anything else. I love those ol' battleships.

Anyway, I loved the 50s and 60s and all the music and cars. I also loved the guns, which I was too young to buy until the mid 60s. I think about back when I could have bought a pre-'64 Model 70 brand new for under $130 it makes me sick to think about it.
Posted By: jnyork Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
Born in '40 so I remember it pretty well, all except the TV stars and programs, our home did not have tv until after I went into the AF in '58.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
In that era, people were getting the money and time to travel. Highways were being built and motels were being built everywhere. Travel was getting a lot more convenient. They wanted big highway cars with bigger trunks for their luggage. I remember Fred and Ethel from I Love Lucy doing a car ad. Fred opened the trunk and said 'Wow. Look at all that room. You could put a bowling alley in there'. The size of the trunk was a major selling point for family cars.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
Born in 46. It was a great time to be a rural white kid.
Posted By: shaman Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
I was born in 1958.
I had a Nixon/Lodge button pinned to my diaper.

I always felt like I'd come late to the party.
Station wagons were popular in the 50's but it wasn't until years later when someone invented the gas lift cylinder that any decent tailgate lift mechanism worked very well. They all rattled and leaked cold air. SW's fell out of favor for a while but then someone came out with an SUV and they're back with a vengeance, just under a different name. The younger generation drives station wagons all the time but haven't ever heard them called that.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
+1............... I should go back to calling them station wagons because that's what they are !...... At least to someone my age. I spent a lot of time in the rear cargo area of a 55 Ford Ranch Wagon with the back window open watching the scenery. Back before you had to be in a seat with a seat belt on. Can't even legally ride in the bed of a pickup truck any more, either.
The first were wagons, they hauled people, and baggage from the train station.
"I like Ike". Aldi Stevenson's hole in shoe.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
+1............... I should go back to calling them station wagons because that's what they are !...... At least to someone my age. I spent a lot of time in the rear cargo area of a 55 Ford Ranch Wagon with the back window open watching the scenery. Back before you had to be in a seat with a seat belt on. Can't even legally ride in the bed of a pickup truck any more, either.
My 1st car, when I was in college, was a '58 Ford Fairlane wagon. I quickly turned into a hauler for students moving or going home for weekends. I lived in Boise and school was in north Idaho, 300 miles on slow, windy roads. Every time I wanted to go home for a weekend, I quickly had a car full of others willing to pay for the gas. I met my wife that way. She heard a car was heading south and begged a ride.

More than once, that big, heavy wagon was the only car that could move on the bad roads. 4x4's were very uncommon in those days, pretty much limited to specialty pickups.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: The 50's - 01/14/20

Remember almost all of that, great times!

Not the 50’s, but remember eating at a Horn and Hardart Automat in NYC in June of ‘62. Purchasing and eating a piece of cherry pie stands out in my minds eye. During the same trip attended a Mets (Casey Stengel was the Mets manager) vs Houston Colt 45’s game at the Polo Grounds that was rained out. Back at the hotel got to watch a good portion of the Yankees vs Tigers 22 inning game in the lobby.

Howard Johnson fried clam rolls were a favorite.
Posted By: DMc Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
I was there for 9 1/2 years of the 50's.

Excellent/fun video.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
Great video about a great decade.

I remember all that stuff. Especially those clip-on roller skates that kept falling off.

And it was a lot easier to find a place to hunt then, too.
Hulo hoops![Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

5[Linked Image]7 Ragtop
Posted By: 5sdad Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
Dad couldn't see spending good money on a stupid ring of plastic. He took a length of garden hose, whittled a plug to hold the two ends together in some semblance of circle, and that was that. Mom used to cut off my long underwear when spring came and make me short underwear out of them. I only tried to hula hoop in the privacy of our back yard (didn't work for crap) and always changed for the swimming pool at home.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Great video about a great decade.

I remember all that stuff. Especially those clip-on roller skates that kept falling off.

And it was a lot easier to find a place to hunt then, too.

In the spring, we would always roller skate at recess. The school had lots of sidewalks intersecting in the grounds around it. We wore our key on a shoelace around our neck. One day, I fell on my dignity twice, and each time there was a penny lying on the sidewalk near me.

We were thrown into a quandary about the skates. In the spring our mothers would fretfully allow us to ruin our feet by wearing tennis shoes instead of our sturdy leather shoes. The problem was that the skates did not hold onto the tennis shoes as well as they did to the soles on the leather shoes.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: The 50's - 01/14/20

We ‘flipped’ baseball cards at recess. The Mickey Mantle card was the most coveted.
Posted By: Papag Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
Dad had a 69 Olds Vista Cruiser with the 400 engine. Flat out hauled ass, two ways.
I busted my butt more than once with those clamp on skates. They were a form of torture.
I never got to where I could keep a hula hoop up for more than 2 or 3 rounds. My butt was as big as everyone else's but it would just fall down. I didn't have Elvis's moves I guess.
The decade of rock, and roll. Buddy Holly.

We thought a Volkswagen was a small car.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
Originally Posted by dale06

Born in 37, forgot a lot of those years...
For me, and I'd guess the world, a lot changed from 1950 to 1960.
It sure did. Medicine, industry, construction, education, and on and on. The war brought us out of the horse buggy age. It was starting on a small scale during the depression but most couldn't afford to buy anything. When all those war factories were converted to civilian factories, it really took off. Then all those soldiers made up for lost time by cranking out a few million of us boomers.
I'm on the older side here, I turned seven years as the decade rolled over.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: The 50's - 01/14/20
My parents told me that Truman was the President of the United States and lived in the White House in Washington.

I didn't understand. I thought that "president" was another name for "grouchy old man" and that he lived in a "light house" in the state of Washington (not Washington DC.). Why did he do that? Maybe he was s super hero like Crusader Rabbit.

Another thing I remember was the B-36s flying over. I liked their distinctive hum and they flew lower than jets do now. Also, there were a lot more of them than current bombers. We went to the Dayton Air Show in 1952. They had a low level fly by of 20 B-36s. That was impressive. They also had the first B-52.
Posted By: DMc Re: The 50's - 01/15/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm on the older side here, I turned seven years as the decade rolled over.

Looks like BOWSINGER has you beat by 6-7 years...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The 50's - 01/15/20
Yup, makes me feel young. laugh
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The 50's - 01/15/20
A great thing to come out of the 50's? A polio vaccine. My dad had it in '52 when I was 4. He was one of the lucky ones who fully recovered but he spent 4 months in the hospital and rehab. Some hospitals had whole wards full of people in iron lungs. Many thousands were left crippled. It was really nasty stuff.
When the Salk vaccine came out, my folks had us 1st in line. Later when the sugar cube Sabine vaccine came out, we got that one, too.

[Linked Image from thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com]

[Linked Image from historycentral.com]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The 50's - 01/15/20
Yes Rock, we should not forget,
Posted By: P_Weed Re: The 50's - 01/15/20
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

Checkers

I think the dog was a Chessire
Posted By: 5sdad Re: The 50's - 01/15/20
I apparently did not appreciate my first injection of the Salk vaccine. As a result, one day Dad and I were walking past the doctor's office. I did not give any thought to the fact that he was on the outside and I was on the inside. As we came even with the door, he reached across, threw open the door, and hipped me through the opening. In what must have been a well-planned caper, they were ready just inside the door - Doc and a nurse armed with a syringe. The strong arms of Dad and Doc rendered me incapable of mounting any sort of self-defense, and the injection was accomplished with great dispatch. The most disappointing aspect of the whole affair was the realization that I did not, in fact, possess super powers, as my glowering gaze failed to reduce the three of them to piles of smoldering ash.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: The 50's - 01/15/20
I was pretty young back then and early black and white television -
I thought Ernie Kovacs was the coolest guy.
Posted By: Malcolm Re: The 50's - 01/15/20
Born in 52 . Everyone was white then ! In my grade one class in 58 there was one chineese kid and he was odd. After the war. Everything was American and shooting was common. When we went on holidays I remember all the hyway signs with bullet holes in them. At that time there was only one bridge across the Fraser ( you know the one I mean ) and I could never figure out why we didn't climb up over the top hump of it. It never occurred to me that the roadway went lower through the center. Polio was an awful crippler , and remember thalidimide too. Remember all those days. Time catches up with you. Anybody remember ' Death valley Days' and The Twenty Mule Team ?
© 24hourcampfire