Home
Posted By: stxhunter SamOlson - 01/16/20
you guys cold today, 80 here today.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Its a cold mother on the Hi Line.

Probably why Sam aint around. He might be busy knitting earmuffs for his calves ahead of the big feeder sale.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
lol better y'all than me.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20

Posted By: dye7barrel Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
80 is too Damm hot, no matter the time of year
Posted By: dale06 Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Let’s compare temps and humidity in July😁
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Its 15 below right now.

It got to about 10 below for the high.

Wind right now is 15 miles an hour. 37 below with the wind.

80 sounds nice right now.
Originally Posted by dale06
Let’s compare temps and humidity in July😁

well i live right on the coast and south texas.so its a hot bitch, but one of my favorite things is taking a nap on the beach when its like that.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Its 15 below right now.

i was out on the gulf of mexico yesterday in shorts and a t shirt and flip flops.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
I’m sittin here, next to the wood stove, in a long sleeve sweatshirt with the hood up. Roger you suck
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Must've been pretty close to 60 here today-which ain't bad for south Kansas. But then it started dropping and it's 30 now according to the thermometer on the Sierra. Maybe some snow later or tomorrow.

Its 15 below right now.

i was out on the gulf of mexico yesterday in shorts and a t shirt and flip flops.

That sounds damn fine.
suppose to get into the 40s sunday. doubt we well even get a freeze this year,
Posted By: ironbender Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20

Its 15 below right now.

Damn, Jim. I’m Shirley glad I live in Alaska!

-11 this am. -20 or so last week. I used to think that stuff was fun when younger in Fairbanks.

Now? Fuggetaboutit.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
I like winter.

Probably not hi line style winter, but winter none the less. 80 in January sounds good for a vacation. Couldn’t live in it though.
Posted By: 79S Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20

Its 15 below right now.

Gd rookie numbers.. last week in Tok it was -66 with the windchill take out the wind it was a balmy -51.. we got down to - 24 or so, have no idea what it was with the wind.. but today it’s a balmy 1 degree here in the valley.. but I could use some of that 80 degree weather right now..
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Thing about winters in Montana, we really like our 16 hour spring and summer days. Appreciated more.

Right now I'm glad we're on the upswing from winter solstice darkness.
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Thing about winters in Montana, we really like our 16 hour spring and summer days. Appreciated more.

16 hours?

79s. You see this? smile
We'll have that by late April on our way to over 19 hours at the solstice, and we ain't in " midnight sun" land.

Our friends in da banks will get a tad shy of 22 hours. One cant conceive that until it's experienced
Posted By: ribka Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Its a cold mother on the Hi Line.

Probably why Sam aint around. He might be busy knitting earmuffs for his calves ahead of the big feeder sale.

and calving starts in a month
Posted By: ERK Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Go north of Fairbanks a bit and the sun just touches the mountains and goes back up for a few days in the summer. You can leave a bar and not be sure if it morning or night. Ed k
P.S. 25 below here right now on the Canadian border in North Dakota . Brrrrrr. Ed k
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Down to 76 in Maui, brrr
Posted By: DMc Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
70 today in Mineral Wells, TX. 55 tonight. 30% chance of rain.
Posted By: Partsman Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
A little cooler up here, lots of snow this year
72 this morning.
Posted By: viking Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
-15, windchill is -35
Posted By: gophergunner Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
I was just out to start the van and my truck. It's -5 here, but no wind at the moment,. so tolerable. Temps will be dropping, and we're supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow starting tomorrow morning around 10 a.m.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
-20 right now. We'll live.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Roger, it indeed has been a chilly one for the last couple days but it's that time of the year I guess.

When it gets like this we roll out straw for the calves to bed down and feed the cows pretty much all they'll eat.

Hopefully no water or machinery issues as we are using 7-8 waterers/tanks, 3 tractors and 2 pickups.

Haven't sold anything yet so there's around 700 various mouths to feed everyday which can get a little stressful when chits breaks down.

Jim, dad and I do pretty much all the chores together now so it takes awhile longer. You know the drill, dark til dark some days!

And I could hear the fuucking wind blowing last night. God I hate that for the critters, maybe we should build a barn......

79, it's all rookie numbers unless a guy is actually out in it working. Luckily for us 90% of the day we're inside a heated cab.

I can only remember 2-3 different days when it was -60 or -70F windchill and it was scary cold. As in don't have ANY exposed skin or you'll feel the burn. Absolutely miserable.

Stay safe out there.
Posted By: ingwe Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Well I just got a pm from Scenarshooter up there and it was -17 IIRC...

It is a balmy 18 degrees here in SW Montucky this morning!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Stay warm men, we are in line for our coldest weather yet this winter. The worst we had was back when we were drying corn.
Texas, when I was renewing my license the other day I told the young lady to old joke. A cop pulls over this Texan drive his

red Cadillac convertible. The cop says, I see your license is restricted to vision correction, you are not wearing glasses, are
you

wearing contacts? Texan, naw, the windshield is ground to my prescription.
Posted By: Hastings Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Roger, it indeed has been a chilly one for the last couple days but it's that time of the year I guess.
What do cows do for water when it's below zero? Eat snow? We have had freezes where confined cattle on salt mix feed died. We seldom have snow and our cattle can get water out of a running bayou. In December of 1983 we froze hard and water was a problem.
Our cows say, the rich cows get their ice in the summer, us poor cows get theirs in the winter.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Tank heaters of different flavors.

-5 here this morning at 5:30, and of course the wind is a blowing.
Posted By: EdM Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
A drizzly 70 as I type. I was hoping to head to the range but it looks like I will wrench on my Dodge instead. I have my bi-annual physical in couple of hours...
Ed if you ever have any questions on that dart let me know i've built and race 3.
Posted By: ingwe Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by Hastings
What do cows do for water when it's below zero? Eat snow? We have had freezes where confined cattle on salt mix feed died. We seldom have snow and our cattle can get water out of a running bayou. In December of 1983 we froze hard and water was a problem.

I dunno about Sam, but Ive gone out with a spud and broken ice many a time so cows could drink...when it gets real cold, oddly enough, they need water bad...
Posted By: Hastings Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
I wish I could economically provide warmed water for the cattle in the winter. It seems that a lot of calories must get burned bringing 5 gallons of water up to body temp.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Time to shut the winders, Ma!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: xxclaro Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
We've had a pretty easy winter here in northern Alberta for the most part, haven't pushed snow at all yet and previous to this week had only one week of temps under -20C. This week has been a cold one, -40 yesterday and rarely rising above -30, but its supposed to be over by the weekend. My rabbits are staying hidden and I had to lock my ducks in the coop, but all in all not a bad winter so far. Oh yeah, the furnace did [bleep] the bed on Monday, but managed to fix it by Teusday evening so no harm done.
Posted By: Berettaman Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
-24 here this morning in western MN. I am getting soft. I decided not to walk the dog.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
How's that JD 6430 doing now? Did you get the hydraulic couplers fixed?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by ironbender

Its 15 below right now.

-11 this am. -20 or so last week. I used to think that stuff was fun when younger in Fairbanks.

Now? Fuggetaboutit.

There is nothing "fun" about negative temperatures...........................except perhaps to tell your sissy friends and relatives in warmer climes how much you're enjoying it. grin

Storm arriving right now, 36F with a 30+MPH wind blowing and the snow is starting, can't see the butte 5 miles away now, could a minute ago when I started typing. Going to be a bit colder on the other side when this one blows through.

Geno
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
11:30 am & -25* here, -37 with the west wind factored in.

grin
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Not too bad here in eastern Nebraska - +5* with still winds and supposed to get up to 14*. Crappy stuff is supposed to roll in tonight with minus temps and 5"-7" of snow and 30-40 mph winds and last thru the weekend. Hoping the weather girl is wrong - very wrong!
Posted By: 79S Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

16 hours?

79s. You see this? smile
We'll have that by late April on our way to over 19 hours at the solstice, and we ain't in " midnight sun" land.

Our friends in da banks will get a tad shy of 22 hours. One cant conceive that until it's experienced

The days are already getting longer here, like you said before we know it 22 plus hours of daylight
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
I dont know what the temp was yesterday, but I was laying flooring in the house and it was hot...... so I turned on the ac.

Cooler today and dont need the ac.
Posted By: VernAK Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
This winter has definitely been a return to "normal" after a few mild winters. We had a week of -40F while Tok and Northway
were in the -50F range. Up on the Koyukuk they reported -65F. The snow cover is deeper that the last few years also.
We brought the cows "home" this morning, better windbreak for them. We need to wean the calves that escaped, the late calves. and pull off the one bull we left on the cows.
Nasty weather headed our way the forecast says.
Dang Minniesoda beat us. We only showed -28 last night coming home from pool shooting. Ed k
Originally Posted by ERK
Dang Minniesoda beat us. We only showed -28 last night coming home from pool shooting. Ed k

Why shoot pools? To break the ice? wink
Posted By: 5sdad Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by ERK

Why shoot pools? To break the ice? wink

Hopefully, they consume every bit of the pools that they shoot. I am certain that they are much more nutritious and tasty than store-bought.
How can you do that John? So quick, so many times. Ask for a recipe.
Posted By: las Re: SamOlson - 01/16/20

Its 15 below right now.

Now? Fuggetaboutit.

Yeah, Mike, but you have the ocean effect there in Kenai. Here in Sterling it was -22 at 7 this morning, -20 yesterday.. Did get up to 7 above at the house here yesterday, tho. And I'm on top of a ridge- probably colder in the hollers. smile

He may be walnut-brained, but he ain't stupid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Sam....dont know about a barn.... but you and your dad sure go above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to your animals.

They could do no better anywhere. Thats a fact.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
Poobs, enjoy your banana belt!
(I miss Bozeman winters, not the snow, the temps....)

Richard, It's been pretty mild here. Did hit -15F back in October but of course it warmed right back up. This little cold snap wasn't too bad, February is the month that could be nasty.

Hastings, like Mule mentioned if there's power available we use tank and heating elements that go down into the ground. If there is no power available we use hydrants that either run continually or they are under super insulated tanks that use the warm groundwater to keep them from freezing. I REALLY like the insulated tanks but they are expensive. And we keep an axe handy in the pickup...

Rooster and Beretta, feel free to keep that real cold air all to yourselves!

Anson, the new couplers work great(no hoses pop off) but I still have to heat the solenoids if it's -15F of colder. It's livable....

Las, that's downright fancy!

Meanwhile out in the sticks this morning......

[Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]

Jim, you don't think a GIANT heated barn would be nice?!

We need to get an oil well like those fancy guys over east!

Back to reality.

Right of the bat this morning a blown out hydraulic line on the bale bed. Didn't even get the first bale off the ground....

Our old '03 bale picker is at the Ford garage getting 8 new injectors so we have no backup...

Old Indian trick I taught myself for replacing long hoses in hard to reach places. This one was 15' of pain in the ass.

World's largest shop.
(management felt sorry for me so they made a little windbreak)

At least both ends were somewhat easy to get at. If you've ever looked under the hood at a 6.7 diesel you'll know what I mean. Clusterfuuck of chit is an understatement.

2 hours later we were up and running.

Posted By: wabigoon Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
Sam, good to see you post. I tried starting a Cowboy thread, that went over like a pay pot in a diarrhea ward.

You post great pictures of the wild west, what do you have tonight?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
Sam someday i will drive up there just to help you for a couple days.think i would enjoy it.
Posted By: rost495 Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
It was miserably warm and humid in TX today. At least it wasn't 100.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
Ranchers/farmers have to be the toughest folks in the world. I will have a steak tonight in support.

mike r
Richard, I haven't taken any cool pics lately, sorry nothing new.

Last summer, one of maybe 7-8 actual days out on a horse.

(just thought of cool farm cat pic I should download)

Roger, now would probably be sorta interesting. The river(Missouri) is just starting to grow ice along the banks. You could be the first one out testing the ice.....grin

Rost, it was -37F windchill here! I could have died out there!
(j/k, refreshingly brisk)

Cool Sam, I still think you should make up, and sell calendars.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
I don't envy the cold. But its been muddy as it gets around here. Still have to get stuff done what should've been done a month ago
Posted By: Salty303 Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
swearin warning..

Ben! good to hear from you. A straight shooter.
Posted By: Judman Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20

Roger, now would probably be sorta interesting. The river(Missouri) is just starting to grow ice along the banks. You could be the first one out testing the ice.....grin

Stay warm pard, happy New year to you and the Mrs..
Richard, I get a kick out of ol' Baxter Black.

Here's my little barnyard buddies.

They have a heat lamp and I feed them everyday. Super tame now from the wild little chits they were.

Two females, couple weeks ago they both got fixed and shots.

Cheeto.

And Leopard.

Ben, we had a mud hole here before it froze up. I know what you mean, it's frustrating!
(I'll be crying about it hopefully in March)

JMan, same to you!

New Years and all..... I've been trying to cut back on the booze.

No hard liquor, and only wine or beer twice(maybe 3x) per week......

Clear mind bro........grin
Sleep the sleep of the just good friends, old man Wabigoon is about to leave the building. Take care. Richard.
Richard, I hope you mean that figuratively!
(or would that be literally?)

Don't check out on us Elvis.
Transporting bovines, sneaking in early on the frost last year November.

Posted By: ironbender Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by las

Its 15 below right now.

Now? Fuggetaboutit.

Yeah, Mike, but you have the ocean effect there in Kenai. Here in Sterling it was -22 at 7 this morning, -20 yesterday.. Did get up to 7 above at the house here yesterday, tho. And I'm on top of a ridge- probably colder in the hollers. smile

He may be walnut-brained, but he ain't stupid.

Ocean effect? Damn little. You have about an RCH or bragging there inland. This warmup still produced a -20 this am. Weekend should be tolerable. No longer built for below zero.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Ranchers/farmers have to be the toughest folks in the world. I will have a steak tonight in support.

mike r

I et some Gortons fish sticks......
I blame AK for the cold down here.
I bought a 6 pack of Molson(bottles...) and a $4 take and bake, plastic wrapped burrito.

"Spicy Beef and Bean"

The burrito wrap was terrible. Weird doughy chit.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
my 21 yr old just stopped by the house.....she's not working sunday.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
Great Pics Sam.

Love that Fort Peck country...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
The beer sounds nice.

Have had nothing to drink since Saturday.

Trying to only drink one day a week.........Friday or Saturday.

Of course.....it will be like letting a bobcat out of a gunny sack come tomorrow evening!

You should hire some pygmies Sam. Good help.......and good for a story.

Young Daniel wrecked his pickup while running over a rattle snake today. Lots of snakes around I guess......
Posted By: ironbender Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
I blame AK for the cold down here.

Not yet Sam. Youse guys get hammered when we get the Pineapple Express and warm up to 45.

Jet stream gets torqued and y’all get that damn Polar Vortex.

I hope neither of us gets that!
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20

That's a pretty nice old pony.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: SamOlson - 01/17/20
Transporting bovines, sneaking in early on the frost last year November.

looks like smectite in them thar hills!
Posted By: SamOlson Re: SamOlson - 01/18/20

Originally Posted by T_Inman

Young Daniel wrecked his pickup while running over a rattle snake today. Lots of snakes around I guess......

I've been trying to think of a reply since this morning.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: SamOlson - 01/18/20

Huh? smile

Originally Posted by T_Inman

That's what she said...

Imagination of youth. Gotta love it!

I've been trying to think of a reply since this morning.
© 24hourcampfire