Home
How about which chili powder is the greatest?
.39cent packet from Aldi
Roast dry chilis in the oven until puffy and fragrant and then put them in a coffee grinder, minus the stems and seeds (or you can keep seeds in). No store bought can get within 1000 miles of that flavor.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Roast dry chilis in the oven until puffy and fragrant and then put them in a coffee grinder, minus the stems and seeds (or you can keep seeds in). No store bought can get within 1000 miles of that flavor.

^ ^ ^

This
If you want it to really pop, throw some hummingbird beaks into the mix.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Williams, black and silver package.
Here’s where I get mine. It’s the real deal, just Chile powder with no additives. Hatch Chile Express is the Chile capital of the world. Thanks for reminding me I need to order some:

Hatch Chile Powder - Hatch Chile Express

fiesta.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

This is how to o it. To better this you have to grow them yourself and smoke them yourself.
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by FatCity67

This is how to o it. To better this you have to grow them yourself and smoke them yourself.

Tip- get your dried chiles where turn over is high.

If the chile package has dust on it go somewhere else.
Big can of Wolf Brand with beans.
Originally Posted by 257heaven

lmao
Originally Posted by stxhunter

lmao

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

lmao

AND.....

I actually just use the recipe on the Mexene chili powder mix and add some of my own to spice it up (cayenne, tabasco, Frank's Red Hot, smoked paprika, jalapenos, etc).
I have used this before it is good but expensive. You can order different heat ranges also of Hatch Chile powder.
https://www.madeinnewmexico.com/chimayo-pure-red-chile-powder

https://www.madeinnewmexico.com/products/new-mexico-red-chile/red-chile-powders
Santa Cruz Chili & Spice Company, makes great enchilada sauce.

https://santacruzchili.com/

That's straight up ground chili's... McCormick's and such are chili powder with spices added, like cumen and garlic powder. So really it's hard to know what someone is asking when they say chili powder. Gebhardt if you are talking about 'chili powder' in the spice isle.

I like different powders for different recipes. Ancho chili powder isn't readily available and expensive when found, but it's easy to grind the pods in a coffee grinder and cheap. Any dried pepper can be ground.

Kent
I been holding out

I use the carroll shelby mix
Badia
Just put in an order for some Hatch.
fiesta.

Fiesta has a good recipe for chile on the back of the bottle. It makes real good beef chili and great deer chile
Fiesta is probably the best IMO. Whatever you decide on add Achiote powder. It's the little something your chili powder needs. 2 cents from a Texan ..
Some of you oldtime Okies might remember "The Original Chili Bowl" chili and restaurants by the Berryhills.

I remember buying the seasoning bricks in local stores here in Kommiefornia until the early 90's then it went bye bye.

Apparently bought out by the Keebler Co. around that time.

This was the logo minus the 70th Anniversary

[Linked Image from ajinomotofoods.com]
I do like all the Fiesta stuff. Their lemon pepper is the only brand I'll buy. All other lemon pepper is schitt. Their chicken fajita seasoning (the one without msg) is good, too.

Originally Posted by slumlord
I been holding out

I use the carroll shelby mix

I've used it and it is a easy way to make a great milder chili. The Williams brand isn't too bad either.
buy chili powder here, dont fugk it up
When i need to buy chili powders I buy it local from Arizona Spice Company. Made fresh daily, no preservatives and quite the variety. I have tried quite a few things- all have been good.

Fresh spices
What do they use in the Hormels canned stuff?
Seems pretty good for chilly dogs with some shredded cheddar cheese sprinkled on top and a side of tater tots.
There are certainly a lot of choices.
Quality chile powders for sauce, ie: enchilada sauce or base for chile con carne are ok when in a rush, but nothing can beat home made chile sauce from dry red chile pods. It's so simple yet results in a silky flavorful sauce that can't be replicated with powders. Toss a dozen or more large dried pods, and half dozen garlic cloves in pot with couple cups of water, steam good for 15 minutes, run thru blender and strain, that's it. Red chile sauce suitable for any Mexican dish that requires it. Hard to go back to powder after using the real deal, although for chilaquiles in the morning, one of my favorites, I do use the powder for expediency.
Originally Posted by smokinggun
Here’s where I get mine. It’s the real deal, just Chile powder with no additives. Hatch Chile Express is the Chile capital of the world. Thanks for reminding me I need to order some:

Hatch Chile Powder - Hatch Chile Express

This one

Blech..............I'd rather eat Alpo with a little hot sauce.

I bought some Wolf's based on recommendations here. I'll stick with Nalley thank you.
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Blech..............I'd rather eat Alpo with a little hot sauce.

I bought some Wolf's based on recommendations here. I'll stick with Nalley thank you.

Well....it was a joke. Any canned chili is a joke.

Originally Posted by krp

That's straight up ground chili's... McCormick's and such are chili powder with spices added, like cumen and garlic powder. So really it's hard to know what someone is asking when they say chili powder. Gebhardt if you are talking about 'chili powder' in the spice isle.

I like different powders for different recipes. Ancho chili powder isn't readily available and expensive when found, but it's easy to grind the pods in a coffee grinder and cheap. Any dried pepper can be ground.

Kent

Kent,

that looks like a good one. You find it locally, or order online?
Tag
Thank you gentlemen for the information on the choices.
The best I've ever had was sun dried from Chimayo, New Mexico.
Always Save unless Best Choice is on sale.
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent,

that looks like a good one. You find it locally, or order online?

Order online, they grow the chili's and process them onsite. it's excellent. I like just chili powder not preblended with spices, so I can add my own and in the amounts I want.

Kent
The best chili powder ever was from an Albuquerque supermarket in a cello bag off the rack of Mexican spices. Where the Mexicans shop. I make that point because it was FRESH. Up here next to Viking land you have no idea how many decades ago the peppers were ground. One reason I'm glad SD is accepting more refugees.

I keep a small coffee grinder for grinding spices. I tried grinding some hot little dried chilis from the garden exactly once. DO NOT attempt at home without a gas mask and protective suit. Or you'll regret it the rest of the evening. blush
© 24hourcampfire