Home
79 year old Terry Rolin kept his entire life savings in cash at his home in Pittsburgh. Inside a tupperware food container, he had saved $82,373 over his life working as a railroad engineer.

When he started to become confused at times, he realized his mental health was in decline. So he gave the cash to his daughter Rebecca and asked her to open a joint bank account with him, to keep his money safe.

Rebecca had an early morning flight to catch with no time to visit a bank, so she took the cash with her after checking online and confirming that it is perfectly legal to carry large amounts of cash on an airplane.

But the TSA became suspicious after seeing the cash at a security checkpoint. They alerted the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).

The DEA agent intimidated Rebecca into calling her father to confirm the story. Awakened from sleep, he sounded confused--the whole reason for the joint account in the first place.

So the DEA agent told Rebecca their stories didn’t match, and he seized every penny of the old man’s life savings.

Terry and Rebecca were never charged with a crime-- they were victims of Civil Asset Forfeiture.

And unfortunately, horror stories like these are not isolated incidents. Now Terry and Rebecca are part of a class action lawsuit for innocent airline passengers who have never been convicted or even charged with a crime to have their stolen cash returned.

Click here to read the full story. https://is-tracking-link-api-prod.infusionmail.com/api/v1/click/4698644667432960/6532213403287552
wow, hate to hear this. no way would I try to fly with a load of cash but too bad she believed whatever "advice" she got on it.
I wonder about the legality of carrying $80 grand on a plane. I think it should be legal. But if you do a $10,000 cash transaction at a bank, the feds are notified and paper work is completed.
Wow! Hard to believe that didn't happen in Mexico or Honduras instead of the United States of America. We used to hear about such things being done by the police in Third World nations and be grateful to live in America where such things were impossible.
Originally Posted by dale06
I wonder about the legality of carrying $80 grand on a plane. I think it should be legal. But if you do a $10,000 cash transaction at a bank, the feds are notified and paper work is completed.

So what if the Feds are notified. If they choose to charge you with a crime, they need evidence.

As for the plane, I believe there are cash limits for international flights, but not domestic.
A man out of his mind still knows where his money and his dick is.

I suspect the daughter is ripping him off.
Not a lot gets me angered these days but this kind of thing really burns me up.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

What affirmation was made here, what warrant was issued? Even what probable cause? "You have a lot of cash, you must be a drug dealer, there can be no other explanation." I'm not going to turn this in a law enforcement thing but this is just outright robbery by goons taking full advantage of might over right. I'd not blink an eye if those that do this kind of thing to a law abiding citizen were lined up against a wall, shot down and left to rot.
This is a lawsuit I'd like to buy into.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Not a lot gets me angered these days but this kind of thing really burns me up.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

What affirmation was made here, what warrant was issued? Even what probable cause? "You have a lot of cash, you must be a drug dealer, there can be no other explanation." I'm not going to turn this in a law enforcement thing but this is just outright robbery by goons taking full advantage of might over right. I'd not blink an eye if those that do this kind of thing to a law abiding citizen were lined up against a wall, shot down and left to rot.

Exactly. Direct violation of a guaranteed right. How is this legal in America?
Some police departments will pull people over, claim probable cause, and seize cash or belongings claiming the same thing. They take the money, and then you have to fight in their courtroom to get your property returned.
Originally Posted by Dess
Some police departments will pull people over, claim probable cause, and seize cash or belongings claiming the same thing. They take the money, and then you have to fight in their courtroom to get your property returned.

As the law stands, according to Supreme Court rulings, cops don't need probable cause to do it. If they had probable cause, in fact, they'd charge you with a crime, not just take your money.
It is a sad story, and outrageous. But Rebecca is stupid as hell for going through TSA with 83 Grand in cash. Good Lord what a dummy.
She could have taken an afternoon flight, or, she could have hidden the cash in her basement until she got back in to town.
Chalk up another victory for the War On Drugs!

Ooooooorrraaahhhh!
Lots kids are stupid these days.
I had a friend take out a second on his home for $75,000. He thought it'd be cool to pick it up in cash so he made arrangements with the bank and did it. He took it home and put it in his safe and then started getting nervous about it after my house got robbed. He took the cash back to his bank and deposited it.

Next thing he knows he's under investigation. In the end the IRS made him pay income and self employment tax on the $75,000 he borrowed against his home.

They watch cash transactions closely and your banker has to notify the gov about any deposit $10,000 or more or even smaller deposits if they're suspicious. The bank isn't supposed to let you know they're doing it. My credit union told me about it when I had a little side business selling silver and gold at gun shows during the early Obama years.

I'd have them wire large sums to a metals distributor and then I'd come back a month or so later with a bunch of twenties from the gunshow atm. They pulled me aside and said just deposit $9500 today and bring the rest back another day. They knew it was legit because they sent my orders in for me.

The constitution is hanging by a thread. I worry about the day we get another Dem Pres and really worry about when they're running all 3 houses.at the rate they're letting future Dems through the border it won't be long.

Bb
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Lots kids are stupid these days.

Very few younger people ever have cash. We took the kids to a Halloween special at the Zoo. There were two entrance lines, one for cards about 200 yards long and a cash only line with no one in it.

We walked right past everyone to the cash line and on our way a 25-30 year old said hey mister, can you spot me 20 bucks. I sarcasticly said didn't your dad give you your allowance this week? He seriously replied, he did but he just transfers it to my account and I use my debit card for everything.

Bb
There should be nothing wrong with what these people are doing with their own money. However, being able to catch people doing things that should be legal, but no longer are, gives them an arguement for why you don't need cash. In reality, it has nothing to do with cash, it's all about controling everything about your life and if they can't get you to do what they want you to do, they shut off your credit, or credit card. Just one more step toward the one world government, where those in power control everything. No amount of money these corrupt politicians can't get enough money to satisfy them. When Piglosi, get's defeated and thrown out of congress, she will get a huge bonus (read that award) for all she's done to tear down our government and it will be announced she is writing a book. Someone will write it for her, and she will get several millions of dollars.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
There should be nothing wrong with what these people are doing with their own money. However, being able to catch people doing things that should be legal, but no longer are, gives them an arguement for why you don't need cash. In reality, it has nothing to do with cash, it's all about controling everything about your life and if they can't get you to do what they want you to do, they shut off your credit, or credit card. Just one more step toward the one world government, where those in power control everything. No amount of money these corrupt politicians can't get enough money to satisfy them. When Piglosi, get's defeated and thrown out of congress, she will get a huge bonus (read that award) for all she's done to tear down our government and it will be announced she is writing a book. Someone will write it for her, and she will get several millions of dollars.

I can think of bettee things she should get.

Always. One of the many ways they get their payoff from their handlers.

All true .

Mississippi along with Tx. & La. robbed people on I-10 for many years - no doubt they're still doing it .
Story sounds fishy.
Invest in the stock market.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

So what if the Feds are notified. If they choose to charge you with a crime, they need evidence.

As for the plane, I believe there are cash limits for international flights, but not domestic.

Do you seriously trust them these days?
There wasn't a cash limit for the money sent to Iran
Originally Posted by wdvicker
There wasn't a cash limit for the money sent to Iran

True. D.B. Cooper had $200,000 on him when he got off the plane.
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Do you seriously trust them these days?

That's not what I'm saying. Naturally, it's an unconstitutional interference with your right to privately engage in business. But that being the case, they still must prove a crime.
Basically a story of 2 people too stupid to be trusted with money.
Strange story, but there is plenty of evidence that the Feds, and to an ever greater extent, local cops, seem to go out of their way looking to confiscate money from people. While it is true that the illegal drug trade has been responsible for the increased surveillance of people carrying large amounts of cash, it is a fact that not everyone with a lot of cash is a drug dealer. I know a few guys who routinely walk around with anywhere between $50,000 and $100,000 on them at all times. As far as I know, they've never used anything stronger than an asprin.
President Trump and Jeff Sessions expanded civil forfeiture practices. Our president owns this one. https://observer.com/2017/07/donald-trump-jeff-sessions-department-of-justice-civil-forfeiture/
© 24hourcampfire