Home
Posted By: roundoak Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
While some of you were talking snow, feeding cows and feeling sorry for a farm dog I cut, split and hauled two loads of firewood. COD (cash on delivery) to a city slicker up the valley. He wants two more loads. "Got to make hay while the sun shines."

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: 1minute Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
Hire a helper to stack, and one could double the amount of wood in a load.

By the way, that's not sunshine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Trade a couple loads of oak for some Western Larch?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
The Larch................

Hehehe....

Bring me a couple cords would ya?
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
Nice looking load roundoak. What's the going rate for a cord of oak out there?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
You a smoker RoundOak?
Posted By: roundoak Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by 1minute
Hire a helper to stack, and one could double the amount of wood in a load.

By the way, that's not sunshine.

Trade a couple loads of oak for some Western Larch?

I would have to check out BTU comparison.
Originally Posted by Salty303

Split, dry White Oak $350

Split, dry Red Oak $300
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You a smoker RoundOak?

No, but there are some people I sell Hickory and Cherry too.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
I used to cut firewood with my truck spot lights till 1,2am in the morn.

Haul runs after a few hours of sleep. Lather, rinse, repeat

Was only getting $200 a cord then (15 yrs ago)

All cash

Extra $1000 a week cash money

I bought three spec lots 1.5 acres each and they were timbered before being subdivided. Pure white oak stands. Laps and butt ends like a jungle. Would sit and run a splitter for 2-3 hours a pop. Owners of the other lots let me cut and clean up all of theirs too.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by roundoak

Split, dry Red Oak $300

Seems like a lot at first for a guy like me living in the land of trees. .. But BTU wise, its probably a bargain compared to ~ 200 here for fir or birch. More an evergreen/softwood deal out here.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
At 300 bucks , that is a good price. I burn wood in my boiler. It is an indoor boiler but is outside in a small shed. It is a gassier. It's called an EKO 25 and is very efficient. I dont have any wood for next year yet but have never been short on wood. Lately, natural gas is cheap enough that is hardly pays to cut wood after hauling it, cutting splitting and stacking. I do enjoy going out at 9PM when its 10 below zero , especially if its calm out . There is no better heat than hydronic and the house feels so much nicer than the forced air heat we have for a back up. I get my wood for free though.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
That is some work Wayne. I like wood heat, still that hardwood is pretty sawn into boards for walls, and floors.
Posted By: memtb Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20

I’m trying to developer a market for Greasewood! When it happens....I’m a rich man! grin memtb
Posted By: 1minute Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
Here's a link for heat yield across several species. I think the absolute best is osage orange. Most of us, however, have to cut whatever grows in the region. Pretty much limited to conifers here.

Firewood BTU yields by species

Similar link with a few different listings

Choices here are: Doug fir, Ponderosa pine, Lodgepole pine, Grand fire, Western Juniper, and Larch. We favor Larch because it burns clean (remove ashes once a year), is easy to split, and grows very tall with few limbs and little taper. About like cutting down large telephone poles. Try to get it in by the middle of June to beat the heat and free up the fall for more fun endeavors.

Could probably heat the house for a month with the chopping blocks. The larger blocks are Ponderosa Pine. Hard to split, so they will hold up for several years. Five layers in the shed, and we use about 3 1/2 in an average winter. Lengths are 15 inches, so one can open the door and throw them in the stove. Obviously, I like a tight stack. Have about a 6 year supply outside of the shed.

USFS charges $5 a cord, then we have our labor and equipment costs. We could go about 6 miles and harvest pine, but think it's worth while for ease of cutting and splitting to run about 40 miles for Larch.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
Holy crap, I had several black and white oaks get blown down this spring. I cut/split them up and hauled them home. Stack 10’ long 4.5’ high and it is cut 18-20” sticks. I have had 3 in my yard for 3weeks now priced at $45 a stack with no takers. Have 5 or 6 more still at the farm to restock. I might have to make a road trip
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
I'll take a cord. LOL. Hardest work I ever did was helping my dad and grandad cut out dead mesquite. We cut it into logs and threw it into the trailer. Stacked it at home and burned it in the fireplace and the smoker. I was young then.

And yea....it burns hot. Real hot.
Posted By: Steve Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
Got two 140-160ft doug firs down. One I got split and in a pile. Gonna start on the second one this morning. All with a maul and wedges. Then comes the stacking. Need to build a new wood shed, too. That's next.

Mostly Doug fir and big leaf maple here. Maple is about the same in BTUs, but is kind of a pain to cut and split. My area has lots of madrone and oak, but none (well one madrone) on our property. A couple cherry trees, too. So mainly we burn fir.
Posted By: Steve Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
Here's another chart with a comprehensive species breakdown.

http://firewoodresource.com/firewood-btu-ratings/
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
I keep waiting for ear hair to become a cash crop.
Posted By: SKane Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20

Split, dry Red Oak $300

That's worth the effort.
Did the snow get a little deeper by you last night?
Posted By: ldholton Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
Almost 3x more than the going rate around here
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
Gotta ask for my friend Field Grade as he's up in the Happy Hunting Ground and too busy for us fools now.

How many ricks of wood in that trailer?

Geno
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Farm cash crop - 01/18/20
I bet there is enough uprooted white oaks on my place to easily equal 25 cords. All can easily be reached by UTV. Can’t even give the stuff away.
Posted By: RandyR Re: Farm cash crop - 01/19/20
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I bet there is enough uprooted white oaks on my place to easily equal 25 cords. All can easily be reached by UTV. Can’t even give the stuff away.

That's how it is here after the tornadoes last fall. The loggers are getting paid to take the tree's away and clean up the woods. Weird thing is the deer vacated some of the hardest hit areas all fall after the tornadoes.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Farm cash crop - 01/19/20
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Gotta ask for my friend Field Grade as he's up in the Happy Hunting Ground and too busy for us fools now.

How many ricks of wood in that trailer?

Geno

15'x7' trailer 4' high about 3 cords.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Farm cash crop - 01/19/20
Wayne, what make a saw, and how long a bar do you use?
Richard, for bucking up logs, I currently use a Stihl MS 271 with 18" bar.

Thank you Wayne.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Farm cash crop - 01/19/20
Interesting charts. I knew madrone would be high on the charts with the btu's. I have a lot of it at the cabin and it makes excellent firewood. Been burning it for years. Easy to split, burns hot and long, very little ash. Right up there with live oak.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Farm cash crop - 01/19/20
Originally Posted by Morewood
Interesting charts. I knew madrone would be high on the charts with the btu's. I have a lot of it at the cabin and it makes excellent firewood. Been burning it for years. Easy to split, burns hot and long, very little ash. Right up there with live oak.

Madrone was the choice for making black powder charcoal. Lots of heat and very little ash.
Posted By: las Re: Farm cash crop - 01/19/20
Beetle kill spruce up here. I have at least a half-dozen trees that will need to come down next year. Neighboring lot dozer cleared just before freezeup. Left a 10' barrier to lot line. Big wind knocked over a half dozen of those too, once exposed. Probably more will come down...they all fell my way, too.

cut the tops out of the driveway, the trunks are still as fallen. they will keep, and breed more damned beetles next year! I'll try to get them in the spring before the bugs get active. too damned cold right now- 20 below nights, not much warmer days.

The bright spot is that I'm going to have to (cough, cough) buy a new saw .

It won't be a Stihl..... I'd buy a Crapsman first. Had a Sthil once - that was enough!
Oh no, this could start a whole new discussion on the best chainsaw. laugh
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Farm cash crop - 01/19/20
Oh no, this could start a whole new discussion on the best chainsaw. laugh

Such things are not "discussions"; they are declarations of absolute truth by Heavenly-appointed prophets.
Did I hear 'Chainsaw"? laugh

There is an old David Bradly saw way up on a shelf here, I can't get a good picture, and I'm too lazy to climb up to get it down.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Farm cash crop - 01/19/20

may have posted recently......removed my coal/wood stove in basement in Oct '19

installed 30K BTU cast iron NG stove...I love the feel & heat of from wood....mainly aspen & pine here

just hate the ash....dirt...time/labor involved keeping it going....costs me $2 a day to run this unit in the dead of winter

approx 14 hrs a day with 10* nights....for me was money well spent.....headed to basement soon for 2nd cup of coffee

yes......NG is not an option in some areas.......interesting chart BTW

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/firewood-BTU.htm
Post up a picture of the stove again. Nice setup.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Farm cash crop - 01/19/20

Split, dry Red Oak $300
Holy shyt that's double what it is here ! Why so much ? Scarce out there or is that just the city slickers price ?
City slickers, of course.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Split, dry Red Oak $300
Holy shyt that's double what it is here ! Why so much ? Scarce out there or is that just the city slickers price ?

I can supply at cheaper price.

© 24hourcampfire