Home
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
I shopped two states and four counties today looking for a new hat. Nobody sells a real cowboy hat between Ontario Or and Boise Id, or anything I would call cowboy boots either for that matter.

Last week I got one dealer to order in a pair of Lamas in my size 10 EE. Still waiting on them to arrive, only available in chocolate. But back to the hat.

After checking every store I could think of today, all they carried were wool hats. I finally remembered Idaho Hat Co in Nampa Id. It is a Mexican guy who sells hats and a few boots out of his little home on a residential street on the less prosperous side of town.

So, I googled him up and called the number. Yes, still in business. I drive over and he checks inventory for a 7 1/8. He comes back with an American Hat Co in Pecan. The 7 1/8 is a bit tight, but 7 1/4 fits perfect, so they must run a bit smaller than Stetson and Resistol.

The box says 7X beaver, but that means nothing between brands because there is no standard for X vs %beaver. It seems to be a decent hat. Made in America. Cloth lined. And I guess the color will match the new boots. Just a typical wide brim hat with a crease in the crown.

Now if I can find a felt safe solvent to take the tractor grease stains out of my silver belly Resistol.
Posted By: Dess Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
I know people I wouldn't recognize without a hat. In my opinion, people who wear them as part of their job look uncomfortable without one and downright miserable if forced to wear a necktie too.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Next time go down to Elko. JM Capriola.
All the real cowboys are wearing Nikes- - - - -they don't want people to think they're truck drivers!
Jerry
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Pics or it ........well....you know.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Pics or it ........well....you know.

I do like beaver pics. 7 beavers....even better.

Posted By: 45_100 Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
I have had several hats rebuilt at Catalina Hatters in Bryan,Texas. If the silver belly is a good quality hat might be worth looking into. They do get kinda dirty wearing them every day.

American Hat Co. makes good hats.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Now if I can find a felt safe solvent to take the tractor grease stains out of my silver belly Resistol.

I'd try some Fast Orange hand cleaner. Won't hurt anything and should work if you go at it a few times.
Posted By: Blackbrush Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Went to grade school and roomed at Texas A&M with Tom, one of the grandsons of the company's founder. His dad Bubba became an amazing competitive saltwater fisherman in retirement. All ancient history to me now but the Silver family was the best of stock. I'll bet the hats are still solid too.
Thanks guys. The Resistol has some burn scars from campfire embers encountered elk hunting about ten years ago, other wise I would not have been wearing it while handling hydraulic hoses on the 4020. So it really probably is not a prospect for "rebuilding".

But I would like to remove the worst of the oil and grease stains so it is presentable for trips to the grocery or gas station.

I had considered washing it with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, or brake cleaner, but did not know if the felt would survive.

Fast Orange might lift the grease, but how would you get rid of the Fast Orange? Run it through the dishwasher?
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
My son inherited a Stetson 7X silver narrow brim hat from my dad. Too small for me. It's an awesome hat.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
I was told at the Ofarrel hat company, each x indicates the amount of felt used. But unless the hat is specified beaver, it is made from rabbit .
With Stetson and Resistol the number of X indicates percentage beaver in the felt. The rest is often muskrat and rabbit.

I do not know what it means with American Hat.

And no a 10 X Stetson is not equal to a 10 X Resistol. Each company has devised its own criteria for X designation. There is no industry standard.
A little information from American Hat: 1000X is beaver belly mixed with mink. 500X is beaver belly. 200X is pure beaver.

Perhaps my 7X sniffed a beaver at some point. grin
Posted By: ironbender Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Thanks guys. The Resistol has some burn scars from campfire embers encountered elk hunting about ten years ago, other wise I would not have been wearing it while handling hydraulic hoses on the 4020. So it really probably is not a prospect for "rebuilding".

But I would like to remove the worst of the oil and grease stains so it is presentable for trips to the grocery or gas station.

I had considered washing it with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, or brake cleaner, but did not know if the felt would survive.

Fast Orange might lift the grease, but how would you get rid of the Fast Orange? Run it through the dishwasher?

Try a dry cleaner.
With Stetson and Resistol the number of X indicates percentage beaver in the felt. The rest is often muskrat and rabbit.

I do not know what it means with American Hat.

And no a 10 X Stetson is not equal to a 10 X Resistol. Each company has devised its own criteria for X designation. There is no industry standard.

I think it just means their 7X is better tban their 5X.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Try a dry cleaner.

Thanks, I had not considered that.
I also couldn't find a good hat last time I need an new one, so I had a 100% Beaver felt western hat made by Northwest Hat Co. in Eugene, Or.

It's made to fit my head shape, and fits better than any hat I've ever had on my head.

Pretty reasonable for 100% Beaver. I think they're $350. now.

The same quality hat from Stetson would be about $1,000.

Virgil B.
Forgot to mention;

I also had Northwest Hat Co. re-build, block and reshape a 30 year old Resistol, and make it into a Fedora.

Looks like a brand new hat now! Mike Miller of the Northwest Hat Co. can do amazing things with old hats!

Virgil B.
Posted By: Steve Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Thanks VB! Have to put that on the visit list for the next rare stop in that area.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Mackey Custom Hats
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
There is a nice piece on making Stenson hats on YouTube, I can not make it load.
You put on a new shirt every time you go to town?

Wear the dang hat.
Originally Posted by Dess
I know people I wouldn't recognize without a hat. In my opinion, people who wear them as part of their job look uncomfortable without one and downright miserable if forced to wear a necktie too.

I have a friend in Idaho who is never without his cowboy hat on or boots. At his wedding a few years ago in his back yard the temp was 107 degrees. He wore a light short sleeve shirt and shorts with sandals. Never seen him like that before. Looked out of place. One of his guests ( a friend of ours) is from TX, but lives in Washington now. He had his cowboy hat on and Whites packers, long sleeve shirt over a T-shirt, and Wranglers. All dark blue. He looked very comfortable while the rest of us were sweating.

Rand Hats in Billing, MT make a pretty good hat too, although expensive.
In the Dakotas I'm told, when your hat blows away, you don't chase it, you just grab the next one blowing by. laugh
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
All my "hats" are whatever the local farm supply is giving away...............in the form of a cap.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
I recall this guy being in Eagle, net says he is in New Plymouth now, he might or know where to have your hat cleaned, if he is still available

https://www.manta.com/c/mm83y2j/priest-hat-co

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Priest-Hat-Co/756371441157265
Originally Posted by wabigoon
In the Dakotas I'm told, when your hat blows away, you don't chase it, you just grab the next one blowing by. laugh

Thats pretty good!
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
When the big guns need brought out, I wear my 100X Tom Horn from the Last Best West in granite.

The ladies have a hard time resting me on a normal day, but when that hat comes out it's not even remotely fair to other guys. Sorry.

They've got some ridiculous accessories like "trail dust", I.E. making a hat artificially look worn and used, but the quality is there.
http://masterhatters.com/
Posted By: Reba Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Rands Hats in Billings
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20

Try a dry cleaner.

I wouldn't send a hat I cared about much to the dry cleaners.

For a bit more, get it done right. Send it to these folks... https://texashatters.com/services.html

I've used them before and was very impressed.
Posted By: oklahunter Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Makes me a little sad you can’t buy a hat or boots in Idaho without a safari. Even here in Oklahoma it’s harder than it used to be to find good western boots. If you want a decent hat, you generally are headed to a bigger town. A good fur felt hat can be rebuilt and even tough grease stains can usually be powdered out.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Nothing liquid on the hat...

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-clean-stetson-felt-hat-2146410
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Anyone care to hear about my new underwear?
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Your laundry service finally say no mas?
[Linked Image from smhttp-ssl-84412.nexcesscdn.net]

Its okay. You dont have to suffer for your fashion sense any more.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Your laundry service finally say no mas?

grin
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20

Are you afraid to wear it as is because it might scare those who don't know what a working person looks like in real life?

Has ID gotten that bad? Here in the Modoc it wouldn't trouble anyone I know of. Folks come right off the ranches to get their groceries and gas...................and look like it. Not only looking like it, some of them still smell like the ranch.

Oh, thanks for the info on the American Hat Co. I'll have to look into it. That custom maker in Potlandia Eugene too.

Geno
Remember when hats, felt hats were worn by all men?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Remember when hats, felt hats were worn by all men?

My wife likes to watch the TCM classic movies.

Impressive to see all the men in hats, children had caps on their heads too. And many times the women (in cities especially) had a hat on.

Do we blame Elvis and his coiffure for doing away with the hats on men's heads?

Don't want to muss up the "do" you know.

Geno
Kennedy rode bare headed in the open car in his inauguration parade, Ike, and the old guard wore hats, and scarves.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
[Linked Image from smhttp-ssl-84412.nexcesscdn.net]

Its okay. You dont have to suffer for your fashion sense any more.

Got two of those, a Blaze Orange and a waxed cotton. kaywoodie approved!
As long as you can stick a feather in it, and call it macaroni. laugh
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Send that beater to Roy Jackson at Jaxonbilt Hat Co. in Salmon, Id. You will be amazed. He also makes custom hats and has a great selection in the store. He's a damn good cowboy poet also.

mike r
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Try a dry cleaner.

I wouldn't send a hat I cared about much to the dry cleaners.

For a bit more, get it done right. Send it to these folks... https://texashatters.com/services.html

I've used them before and was very impressed.

I figured:
1. They would say if it would be damaging
2. If it would work
3. If the above was ok, they could spot clean it
I took them an old hat years ago that I'd put through the wringer.

They trimmed the brim by just a fraction to give it a crisp edge, took the leather sweatband and satin liner out and replaced them both, cleaned the felt, and renewed the felt, and re-blocked it.

T'was like a new hat.
Sorry, Barry. I meant the dry cleaners.
Originally Posted by 45_100
I have had several hats rebuilt at Catalina Hatters in Bryan,Texas. If the silver belly is a good quality hat might be worth looking into. They do get kinda dirty wearing them every day.

Just got off the phone with an old working cowboy friend here. He uses Catalina hatters too.
Been very impressed with their hole repair, cleaning and reblocking.
Try Mike[img]https://rustswesternshed.com/information.htm[/img]
Originally Posted by 700LH
I recall this guy being in Eagle, net says he is in New Plymouth now, he might or know where to have your hat cleaned, if he is still available

Thanks, I will see what he has to say.

The Resistol is 4X and twenty years old. It is relegated to chores and town trips. But it still holds its shape well. I would not mind putting fifty or 60 bucks into freshening it up. Any more than that and I will just put the money toward a replacement.
You put on a new shirt every time you go to town?

Wear the dang hat.

The old Resistol?

I wash the shirt before each trip to town. And I usually do not wear the shirt I spent all day in plowing and greasing the hay swather to town.

That is where the Resistol is today, covered in black greasy finger prints. Far too many days farming. Now that I am all citified, the wife and kids expect me to look the part.
Ha! Make sure to pick up the new Manscaping electric razor when you go! grin
We can't all "do", the look you can Big James,, like who is going to tell you, you don't look good? laugh

Maybe Chuck Norris?
I will admit.....I could use a little sprucing up from time to time.
One more vote for Rand in Billings.
Richard sold but the new owners are carrying on the traditional Rand work.

Bought my Tom Horn there twenty-five years ago and still wear it most every day.

W. Bill

eek

no, make that double

eek eek

Geno
Just for Big Jim. laugh
Thats exactly right Richard!

Now....this place will never be Delmonico's........
Originally Posted by Valsdad

eek

no, make that double

eek eek

Geno

It says its safe for sagging old......uh.....skin.
Coupla pretty wimmins in that excerpt

Wonder if'n they gots a nekkid workout video like I hear that Tulsi gal does.

Geno

Nah, I ain't THAT citified. There is a coral full of bison 100 yds from the house, and it is tough to discern the difference in odor from a beef lot.

The Mach III will suffice.

I just got off the Catalina website. Their cost for refurbishing is 1/2 the cost of replacement of a low end hat.

I will continue looking for cleaning alternatives or buy a replacement.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20

The Resistol is 4X and twenty years old. It is relegated to chores and town trips. But it still holds its shape well. I would not mind putting fifty or 60 bucks into freshening it up. Any more than that and I will just put the money toward a replacement.

The guy I mentioned earlier in Salmon replaced the leather sweatband, put in a new satin liner, cleaned and blocked for $40.00 2 years ago. Almost like new and has held its' shape through snow and rain since then.

mike r
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/18/20
Stetson hats - https://www.stetson.com/store/hats/shop-all.html
Posted By: drover Re: Trying a new hat brand. - 01/19/20
A second for Jaxonbilt hats in Salmon, he is a "good old boy", unfortunately shipping would probably cost too much but per is website a deep clean and reblock is only $40

drover
Pendleton still puts out decent quality felt. Maybe the Northern guy could convert one of theirs for you...
Originally Posted by lvmiker

The guy I mentioned earlier in Salmon replaced the leather sweatband, put in a new satin liner, cleaned and blocked for $40.00 2 years ago. Almost like new and has held its' shape through snow and rain since then.

mike r

That is darned reasonable. We have never seen Salmon. I just asked Momma if she would like to go up and spend a night there. Maybe next July, when hiway 21 would be a pleasant drive.

His price on new hats is not bad either. $440 for 20X 50% beaver. Maybe I can get a custom built bought while there.
© 24hourcampfire