Home
Posted By: wabigoon Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
All three in NW Iowa, Brrrrrr! I'll know more when I get outside.
Posted By: ScottBrad Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
Odd for winter.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
SWIA too.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
It does not look like any fun today.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
Same here. Maybe 2 inches of snow and the city boys came and filled up the end of my driveway. I'll give them a break, the wind has been hanging around 40 since yesterday so they may be busting drifts. It's 3 right now so no hurry to open the driveway. Could be worse, the KELO weather guys were almost jumping up and down with glee forecasting about 15 feet of snow and winds around 200. And temps falling further and further below zero all weekend. They planned on closing the Interstates but it's really not that bad here. Lessee.... Yup, closed, 29 and eastern 90. Guessing finger drifts on 29, westerly component since yesterday. Actually it doesn't look all that bad on the DOT cams but probably a good idea. Too damn cold to find yourself in a ditch.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
You should have three days of nice after it passes, though.

Looking at partly cloudy and calm here through Tuesday, temps rising to 40. Then the next one...
Cool. Er, warm. As winter go we're due a thaw before the end of the month. Then Feb should be cold. Can never make my mind up which is worse, this yin/yang thing or the constant cold of most of Feb.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
Mild, wind, and rain here. Supposed to get cold tonite, and stay that way for about 3 days, then warm back up again. I want some snow.
Posted By: saskfox Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
Wind chill - 42 here. Been like that for 10 days.
Ain't fit for man nor beast out there.
Posted By: viking Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
Seen some footage from Fargo yesterday, UFF DAH. 60 mph gusts.
Posted By: J23 Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
20's and about 4" of snow on my hill. It seems to be slowly changing over to freezing rain. Nice. Gonna be a fun run to town later. 🤦🏻‍♂️

This has been the first real sign of winter for us this season. Usually it starts in November.
If Al Gore gets bored he could help shovel some snow. Anyone have Al's cell number? laugh
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20

6 months from now......we'll be bitchin' how hot it is..........
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
74 for a high today, the concrete driveway, etc sweating. Probably run the AC later if the humidity in the house gets oppressive.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
Wheres some blizzard pics, Wabi.
I'm still in the house Doc. No point in me plowing any snow until the boss is ready to feed. It will blow shut that fast.

I was just looking up Iowa Gun shows, Vail, Iowa today, and Sunday. I doubt if it is going.
Posted By: johnw Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
North west Illinois we got a little snow topped with a bit of freezing rain. Not too cold right now, at 32* but gonna cool off pretty good.

All in all it's been gravy so far this winter. But heavy winter came late last year and hung on pretty good. OK with me if real winter takes a pass this time...

The dog liked it that the real cold stuff last winter seems to have really knocked the ticks back. Not much sadder looking than a beagle with 2 noses...
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm still in the house Doc. No point in me plowing any snow until the boss is ready to feed. It will blow shut that fast.

I was just looking up Iowa Gun shows, Vail, Iowa today, and Sunday. I doubt if it is going.

Ah, the Weevils of Ar-We-Va. smile
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
We are do for a little white gift today. Can’t complain here so far winter has been a nonissue.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

6 months from now......we'll be bitchin' how hot it is..........

Perhaps the truest words ever spoken.
It's getting colder, now 1 below. But there's no where I gotta be so screw the driveway. Maybe when (if) the wind goes down, NW 28 G43 for -27. No complaints, just the way it is. And when it gets hot it's gonna feel SO good.
t could always be worse, not that much snow, maybe four inches, it's above zero, the wind has let up from early morning, still wicked out from the windbreak.

My camera does not like my new card, I did get a few.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
snowy backs are a good sign.
Those cows were stepping right out.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
its just part of winter here in the north land,we live with it.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
Those cows were stepping right out.

We are grazing millet right now. It got flattened by the September snow.

I take them safflower every day. It got cold so we started taking them hay as well.

They didn't even clean it up. Surprised the heck out of us.

Independent buggers!
Pete, true, some of us just like to talk about it, and swap yarns.

The storm we had back in 75 was something else.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
Did the driveway this morning. Wind's picking up here. Supposed to have something like 40 mph winds here. Gonna just hunker in the bunker today and let this blow through. 'Think I'm gonna need a bigger snowblower. The snow along the driveway is above my knees now. Time for a new one anyways, but I never thought I'd need a bigger one.
It's still rippin' out there, I commend all the folks driving the plow trucks. Stay safe!
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Might get a rain shower today, only 77 for a high. Times are tough.

Yes it’s sideways smile
Posted By: DougD Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
Not terrible here in Minnesota today just some snow and wind.
Watched a program about the 1949 Blizzard couple of days ago.
After watching that I am no longer going to bitch about snow again.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
t could always be worse, not that much snow, maybe four inches, it's above zero, the wind has let up from early morning, still wicked out from the windbreak.

My camera does not like my new card, I did get a few.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's so flat there that you could watch your dog run away for 3 days.
Not really, blowing snow, low visibility.
The steer calves feel good, two crawled through the fenceline bunk. Jake spent enough time chasing them in.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/18/20
It actually rained a little yesterday on top of our snow down here, enough to make a crust and keep it from blowing.

The roads were scary yesterday-ice underneath, snow on top and freezing rain layered on top of that- I was pulling a squeeze chute with the F-150 and things got a little sideways for a bit. Managed to keep it between the ditches-and left the chute at the next stop. The 20 miles back to town was better not towing something!
You earn your money Doctor Dan, out on the roads in bad weather. Doctor Steve Mead has some stories about bad roads before cell phones.

We had about 4-5" and then had the sleet/rain on top. Made for crusty snow blowing, but probably held the drifting down. The street out front is glare ice.
A salute to all the DVM's here.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Cold, Wind, Snow? - 01/19/20
The prolapsed uterus tales in the Herriot books will have you rolling on the floor with tears in your eyes.
© 24hourcampfire