Home
Posted By: Leanwolf Dark Waters - Movie Review - 01/19/20
I have posted a review of the movie Dark Waters, in the Movie Forum here. It is the story of how Dupont Chemical dumped toxic pollutants into the streams, water table, and land fills around Parkersburg, West Virginia, which caused birth defects in babies, killed animals and pets, and caused various cancers in people. A class action suit finally evolved.

It is an interesting and disturbing movie.

L.W.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I have posted a review of the movie Dark Waters, in the Movie Forum here. It is the story of how Dupont Chemical dumped toxic pollutants into the streams, water table, and land fills around Parkersburg, West Virginia, which caused birth defects in babies, killed animals and pets, and caused various cancers in people. A class action suit finally evolved.

L.W.

They did it everywhere they operated. We still can't eat fish caught from the Shenandoah river thanks to Dupont and companies like them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...c-c2e9-11e6-8422-eac61c0ef74d_story.html
The first great love of my life was a coal miner’s daughter from Parkersburg, I still have some of her ashes left, I should leave some there next time I pass through that way.
My group at work is doing the air deposition analysis for the Fayetteville, NC site. Lots of work, lots of unknowns still.

L.W.

ala "Silkwood" or more documentary?
Posted By: hanco Re: Dark Waters - Movie Review - 01/19/20
Big business feels we are expendable
Posted By: add Re: Dark Waters - Movie Review - 01/20/20
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The first great love of my life was a coal miner’s daughter from Parkersburg, I still have some of her ashes left, I should leave some there next time I pass through that way.

Is this some sort of confession?
Originally Posted by add

Creepy as hell.
Originally Posted by ironbender

L.W.

ala "Silkwood" or more documentary?

Not a documentary.
Posted By: add Re: Dark Waters - Movie Review - 01/20/20
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by add

Creepy as hell.

UnAmerican tell at the very least.

L.W.

Where were the environmentalists and tree-huggers when you needed them?
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add

Creepy as hell.

Oh, another White Nationalist 🙄

Anyhoo.... with the appearance of the internet we got back in touch 25 years later, at which time she was divorced and I was married. She was also terminally ill. The daughter she bore in her teenage years still remembered me from when she was little, in a positive light.

I drove out to Arizona for the funeral service at her invitation. Her remarkable mom had left a list of places around the world where she had wanted her ashes scattered so that friends and kin might go and visit those places. That was twelve years ago. Her daughter ended up going to friggin’ Maccu Picu, I don’et think she made it to Kilimanjaro yet.

We had originally met back in the ‘70’s in Forestry School, she went on to earn Graduate degrees doing forest research in Costa Rican Rain forest and Brazilian Cloud Forest. I lived for a year camping out around around New Mexico and then left for Africa.

For my own part I scattered some of her ashes where she had done research in Costa Rica, the first place I heard howler monkeys which sound she loved. Other ashes I scattered at her favorite overlook in Letchworth State Park in Upstate New York. Some too I scattered at a beautiful location in NM.

Still got some left, she was proud of her roots, Parkersburg seems as good a place as any.

You guys really need to get out more.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Dark Waters - Movie Review - 01/20/20
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add

Creepy as hell.

Oh, another White Nationalist 🙄

Anyhoo.... with the appearance of the internet we got back in touch 25 years later, at which time she was divorced and I was married. She was also terminally ill. The daughter she bore in her teenage years still remembered me from when she was little, in a positive light.

I drove out to Arizona for the funeral service at her invitation. Her remarkable mom had left a list of places around the world where she had wanted her ashes scattered so that friends and kin might go and visit those places. That was twelve years ago. Her daughter ended up going to friggin’ Maccu Picu, I don’et think she made it to Kilimanjaro yet.

We had originally met back in the ‘70’s in Forestry School, she went on to earn Graduate degrees doing forest research in Costa Rican Rain forest and Brazilian Cloud Forest. I lived for a year camping out around around New Mexico and then left for Africa.

For my own part I scattered some of her ashes where she had done research in Costa Rica, the first place I heard howler monkeys which sound she loved. Other ashes I scattered at her favorite overlook in Letchworth State Park in Upstate New York. Some too I scattered at a beautiful location in NM.

Still got some left, she was proud of her roots, Parkersburg seems as good a place as any.

You guys really need to get out more.

That's a sad story.
The thing is, that woman overcame a great deal, her dad, a coal miner, died of cancer when she was a girl and she grew up poor. The fact that she went on to become a published researcher in her field merely confirmed the high opinion I held of her. Her peers in Brazil did name a new species of orchid after her.

I drove out to see her shortly before she died, Ill as she was she still took my breath away.
Posted By: 280Rem1 Re: Dark Waters - Movie Review - 01/20/20
Anybody responsible for dumping poison into a community or environ should spend life in prison without the chance of parole.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Dark Waters - Movie Review - 01/20/20
Does anyone know of anyone that truly benefited (other than lawyers) from a class action lawsuit.

Maybe this is the case here, I don't know the story but whenever I hear about class action, I just think of my experiences where a case was made that I was ripped off for whatever - a few hundred dollars and the end result is I get pennies in return.
Originally Posted by add

Hahaha. Tff. No, more bragging.

I'm pretty sure G Washington and Abe Lincoln would fall under the white nationalist moniker.
Posted By: hanco Re: Dark Waters - Movie Review - 01/20/20
Lawyers make a ton of money off class actin lawsuits
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by add

Hahaha. Tff. No, more bragging.

I'm pretty sure G Washington and Abe Lincoln would fall under the white nationalist moniker.

I’m sorry, I thought I WAS bragging.

Anyhoo, so then when Jefferson wrote “All men...” he didn’t actually mean “All men”.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Dark Waters - Movie Review - 02/27/20
I finally got around to watching this movie

holy hell, I want to torch Dupont after watching it

I went thru Parkersburg a couple of years back and told my wife it was the most depressing run down place I'd been to in a long time. I chalked it up to Appalachia

now I know the reason why
Originally Posted by add

Still has *some* left

Implies that he’s been making cupcakes with them.
Movie forum?
I haven't found it yet..

Not a shark movie?

Title sounds like a shark movie.

How can you top Capt what's his name?

""I'm tired and I wanna goto bed"
"Had me a little drink about an hour ago and it went strait to my head"
"I think your gonna need a bigger boat" (Brody)

Sorry high seas hijack which makes it a Shanghai.
Don your masks!
One of my sidebars is water resource management here in Florida and I've been in it up to my ears for many years. By extension I've learned a number of unsettling things about the issue, not just in Floriduh, but nationwide. Seems to me that rational thought would preclude the looming disaster that awaits. We are, collectively, committing suicide.

For example, a few years ago under the guidance of Governor Scott (now Senator) and at the behest of EPA, the state reviewed pollution concentration standards and by stroke of genius increased the allowable concentrations on quite a number of pollutants. The action included approximately a dozen carcinogens. They declined to establish a standard for dioxin. In case that doesn't ring a bell it's the active agent in, uh, Agent Orange....can't be interfering with the paper mills don't ya know!

EPA signed off on it without meaningful comment.

Phuoc Monsanto, Dow, and Washington DC is my kindest thought. With armed torpedoes up theirs.

We seem incapable of setting short term profit aside in favor of long term gain.
Originally Posted by add

Creepy as hell.

Best piece of ash he ever got!
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Dark Waters - Movie Review - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by jackmountain

L.W.

They did it everywhere they operated. We still can't eat fish caught from the Shenandoah river thanks to Dupont and companies like them.

You gotta do something with that avatar, every time I glance at it I think it’s a childhood picture of Steelhead.
Originally Posted by KFWA
I finally got around to watching this movie

holy hell, I want to torch Dupont after watching it

I went thru Parkersburg a couple of years back and told my wife it was the most depressing run down place I'd been to in a long time. I chalked it up to Appalachia

now I know the reason why
You've never been to the Four State Area where I live. Possibly THE most polluted spot in the country. Picher, Oklahoma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picher,_Oklahoma

"Picher is among a small number of locations in the world (such as Gilman, Colorado; Centralia, Pennsylvania; and Wittenoom, Western Australia) to be evacuated and declared uninhabitable due to environmental and health damage caused by the mines the town once serviced."

Centralia, PA is the town that the video game Silent Hill is based on.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by add

Still has *some* left

Implies that he’s been making cupcakes with them.

Nope, just had a small amount originally, there were lots of takers. I was kinda sorta planning to request those ashes be scattered with mine, but dang I already got my dog’s ashes lined up too.

Seems like a lot of hassle for my son to deal with so I might scratch the whole deal and just prepay a cheap and quick incineration. Prob’ly the thought that counts anyway.
Originally Posted by Partsman
Originally Posted by add

Creepy as hell.

Best piece of ash he ever got!

Actually, I can be addressed directly.
Posted By: add Re: Dark Waters - Movie Review - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add

Creepy as hell.

Oh, another White Nationalist...

Damn.

Are you surrounded by them?
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Movie forum?
I haven't found it yet.. ...

Here you go.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../14482533/dark-waters-movie#Post14482533

L.W.
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add

Creepy as hell.

Oh, another White Nationalist...

Damn.

Are you surrounded by them?

Sounds like I pinched a nerve.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by jackmountain

L.W.

You gotta do something with that avatar, every time I glance at it I think it’s a childhood picture of Steelhead.

So it's not just big stick that lives rent free in people's heads.
crazy
A beautiful remembrance. I know that when my dad passed away, my brother and I scattered his ashes on the Uncompahgre Plateau, because that is where he loved to be. I cannot go there without thinking of him.
© 24hourcampfire