Home
Posted By: jaguartx 270 saves a guys life. - 01/19/20
Sorry, I prolly shoulda said a hunters life. Oh yeah. I sure shoulda said it took 2 shots.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/mississippi-hunter-rattlesnake-deer-stand
Buddy killed a rattlesnake in his barn a week or so ago. They’re still out here.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/19/20
With a scoped rifle trying to hit a snake in the head from a couple feet can be challenging. ‘Specially if he had a 20 MOA rail........
Posted By: ingwe Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/19/20
What a pile of schitt....
Posted By: jaguartx Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/19/20
I expect that was in his pants.
Posted By: hanco Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/19/20
Do you think he had enough gun, I’ve killed bunches with sticks, rocks, killed one last summer with a broom in camp.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/19/20
I read about this a few days ago. Now that I read the reactions,I wonder how many of you have been in an approx. 4x4 box, with a roof on it, and a rattle snake between your feet, that was pizzed off.

I haven't, but from some of the reactions, it must be a common occurrence. .I'll say it before it happens.... It would scare the schit out of me.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/19/20
Just start stomping.
Originally Posted by hanco
Do you think he had enough gun, I’ve killed bunches with sticks, rocks, killed one last summer with a broom in camp.

It always got my nerves jacked up to kill one over 3.5 ft long by whipping it with the broadhead on an arrow.

I retired from whipping them with the buckle on my belt when they start getting about 5 ft long, too.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Just start stomping.

Probly have to stomp pretty hard to crush it down in a wooden pallet. I'm not sure many other than you could do it.
Posted By: hanco Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/19/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx

It always got my nerves jacked up to kill one over 3.5 ft long by whipping it with the broadhead on an arrow.

I retired from whipping them with the buckle on my belt when they start getting about 5 ft long, too.

I stabbed a small one with broad head years ago.
Just start stomping.

Probly have to stomp pretty hard to crush it down in a wooden pallet. I'm not sure many other than you could do it.

If he aint up where you can stomp him.....he sure as hell dont have you trapped in a wooden box of terror.

He jumped up on his chair..........would have been out the door had he jumped the other way.
Yep. He shoulda run. Stomping it, I'm not so sure about.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/19/20
I did shoot a rattler one day with an 8x57....
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/19/20
Fuuuuuuck that chit!
Originally Posted by ingwe

Chicken. wink

Come on Poobs, you have us hooked. grin
Posted By: Salty303 Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/19/20

See, now I'd admit that too all day long. But a 270? c'mon.....

I had to give up beating them with my belt buckle when my pants started hitting my ankles before I could hit the snake. It's tough to turn and run with you pants buttoned up around your ankles.

Throw your hat on him first.

Blows his situational awareness all to hell.
Now that is a good idea, Jim.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/19/20
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I had to give up beating them with my belt buckle when my pants started hitting my ankles before I could hit the snake. It's tough to turn and run with you pants buttoned up around your ankles.

Fuuuuuck that chit!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20

Throw your hat on him first.

Blows his situational awareness all to hell.

That's a good idea!

But still...

Fuuuuuuuuck that chit!
Posted By: jaguartx Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
If the rattler was buzzing he was pissed. If his head was a one or two feet from the back of a 4ft square blind and the door was latched the guy would have had to step in front of the door to unlatch it, putting the snakes head about one to two ft from the guys feet. 9 inch high boots. Hummm.
Posted By: Matty99669 Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
What a joke "saved his life".
Posted By: bucktail Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Just start stomping.

Probably how riverdance was invented.
Ha, and you fell for it. Cant say I didnt know I wouldnt say it right for the perfectionists. grin
Posted By: Salty303 Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Originally Posted by Matty99669

Rule number 1 for fake news. Embellish the living hell out of the subject for a catchy title.
Posted By: hanco Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
They are don’t seem to rattle anymore unless you corner them up.
Posted By: Partsman Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Now I know my 270 BBR is good for something.
Posted By: kennyd Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Stepped over one on a trail while daydreaming. It dawned on me about 2 steps after i had stepped over the obstacle. A. 36 open top did something. It jumped when i shot and i did not look in the bushes to see how well i did. I figured his wife may have been around.
Had one block a motorcycle trail. Old BSA Victor with a dragging clutch so it wouldn't shift into neutral; I still managed to back up.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Article didn't mention it but I wonder if that guy wishes he would have had adult diapers on.
Posted By: slumlord Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
A wooden box on a pepsi pallet is considered a deer stand?
Posted By: slumlord Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
This story reminds me of willy G and one leg Pete, in a ground blind with a 270 weatherby.

Except there was no snake involved, there was almost a one legged Willy after Pete’s little catnap.
crazy

Just think, any closer and they’d able to one-legged sack race to their blind.
Originally Posted by Salty303
Originally Posted by Matty99669

Rule number 1 for fake news. Embellish the living hell out of the subject for a catchy title.

And prick a prick with hemorrhoids.

I'd like to take the time to thank youse guys for all the wonderful threads you have started.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
270 saves a guys life.

Probably wouldn't have bitten him in the first place if he wasn't carrying a .270.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20

Chicken. wink

Well..I was shooting up a coulie one day, walked down to check target, and my pard kept me from stepping on him...knee jerk reaction...BANG!
Posted By: rost495 Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
With a scoped rifle trying to hit a snake in the head from a couple feet can be challenging. ‘Specially if he had a 20 MOA rail........

Scope turned all the way down. Aim about 2 inches high.

Shot a piglet a few weeks ago at 8 feet just like that. Its all in knowing and thinking. Though I"m almost never without a handgun for the close stuff, just no time to dump the rifle and grab the pistol with the piglet in the armpit high grass I was in. He was there, it was right now or not.
All right. Good shot.
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Scope turned all the way down. Aim about 2 inches high.

Shot a piglet a few weeks ago at 8 feet just like that. Its all in knowing and thinking. Though I"m almost never without a handgun for the close stuff, just no time to dump the rifle and grab the pistol with the piglet in the armpit high grass I was in. He was there, it was right now or not.

Yep, Jeff, I figured that out about 60 years ago popping moccasins off logs in the creeks with a scoped pellet gun.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Never had a rattlesnake in a deer stand, but I did have a cottonmouth in a duck blind.

As far as i know the snake is still in the blind and that was 16 years ago.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Gay as gay can be!!!!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Never had a rattlesnake in a deer stand, but I did have a cottonmouth in a duck blind.

Hahahaha

That's funny.
Posted By: Great_Wazoo Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Hayzoos Fricken Khrist!

270 is marginal for Rattle Snake, Cotton Mouth, or Mongoose. Everyone knows this!

For an "experienced hunter" the Dood was scared to death of a snake that couldn't even hit him through the slats of the pallet.

Discharging a firearm inside a blind will blow out your eardrums, even a 270, Everyone knows this!

I am not above shootin a snake, but a big stick will usually suffice just fine.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
i'd of just smashed its head with the butt.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Hahahaha

That's funny.

Hahaha! Yeah!
Posted By: renegade50 Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Mehhhhhh......

Its gotta be 2ft smack over your head on your front porch clinging to vinyl siding at night and you walk under it 3 times before you notice it.

Then.....

.117cal co2 pistol the schitt outta it.

Just ID it correctly or else the herpitologist on here will ride your azz relentlessly.

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: naiche Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Everyone knows the creedmire is the go to caliber for snake killing
Posted By: Valsdad Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20

Chicken. wink

Well..I was shooting up a coulie one day, walked down to check target, and my pard kept me from stepping on him...knee jerk reaction...BANG!

What we are all dying to know..............

did it way over penetrate?

Geno
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i'd of just smashed its head with the butt.

But Roger, you arent scared of snakes, either.
I've heard a good squirt of chewing tobacco in the mouth of a snake will do it in. Uh, or was that a cat? Armadillo?
If that guy had hit that door at full blast and forgot to duck his head it coulda broke his neck, you know.
Changing light bulbs on a sign, once. Went around the sign, looking up, and managed to set one leg of the ladder right in the middle of a prairie rattler.
Turned into one HELL of a "Mexican 2-step" for a bit! Luckily he was coiled - gave me a small head start!
I will repost the post by one of our dear departed member, BobinNH, from 02/12/12.

"Funny stuff as always on here.....a grizzly hit properly with a 270 and a good bullet is a "goner"....

Research may disclose...at one time anyway, the World Record grizzly was killed with a 30-30;the story showing up in Outdoor Life in the good old days.....and the World Record Polar Bear, with a 270 Winchester.

I'm also pretty sure the record brown bear fell to a 30/06...I guess these folks were not scared of bears like many internet posters....

Look it up."

Rest in peace, Bob. You are missed.
I will repost the post by one of our dear departed member, BobinNH, from 02/12/12.

"Funny stuff as always on here.....a grizzly hit properly with a 270 and a good bullet is a "goner"....

Research may disclose...at one time anyway, the World Record grizzly was killed with a 30-30;the story showing up in Outdoor Life in the good old days.....and the World Record Polar Bear, with a 270 Winchester.

I'm also pretty sure the record brown bear fell to a 30/06...I guess these folks were not scared of bears like many internet posters....

Look it up."

Rest in peace, Bob. You are missed.

Interesting but the new brown bear record was 12 rounds from a 7mm mag after the bear survived 2 day with (4) .38 special rounds in him. Check out this link. There is another interesting story about a big brown bear being shot in the brain with a .338 wm and needing 5 more to the chest to finally put it down.
http://waterandwoods.net/2008/09/worlds-largest-grizzly-bear/
Keep trolling jag, goog luck
Posted By: pabucktail Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
But was the bear shot in the head with a Sierra?
Originally Posted by pabucktail
But was the bear shot in the head with a Sierra?

Lol. Probably. Got me...
Darn Matty, sounds like new world records are being taken over and over again with, guess what, different caliber guns. Sheesh. Who woulda guessed?

It sounds like if a bear is real pissed off it can chase you down and get you even with its brains blown out by a 338, huh?

I guess a 30-30 must be more deadly than a 338, at least in the hands of some.

Iirc, we have a fire member who laid a monster bear low with a 380.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/30074-30-30-stops-killer-grizzly-6-feet.html#/topics/30074
Posted By: shaman Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
So far, what I've been able to gather from this thread:

1) It took 2 shots with a 270 WIN to kill a rattlesnake.
2) It takes only 1 shot to do the same with an 8X57.

I'd say that says it all.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20

A cottonmouth and a big wasp nest are both things I never liked to find in a duck blind.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Changing light bulbs on a sign, once. Went around the sign, looking up, and managed to set one leg of the ladder right in the middle of a prairie rattler.
Turned into one HELL of a "Mexican 2-step" for a bit! Luckily he was coiled - gave me a small head start!

If the snake dont get you, it'll make you hurt yourself gettin away. crazy
Posted By: milespatton Re: 270 saves a guys life. - 01/20/20
I've heard a good squirt of chewing tobacco in the mouth of a snake will do it in.

I too, have heard that but never tried it out to see. I skidded a tire on a 18" or so cottonmouth day before yesterday that was crossing the road. Mid 70's then, 24f this morning so I figure they are slowed way down. miles
© 24hourcampfire