Home
Posted By: devnull Leather Rifle Case/Scabbard - 01/20/20
Show what you have. Also, can you make a recommendation?
Posted By: EdM Re: Leather Rifle Case/Scabbard - 01/20/20
Murray Leather
For what?

A scoped rifle, or a Win. 94?
Posted By: hanco Re: Leather Rifle Case/Scabbard - 01/20/20
I have a heavy canvass rifle case I like. I carry my nice rifles to the stand in it.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Leather Rifle Case/Scabbard - 01/20/20
Are you looking for a saddle scabbard or a gun case, there's a difference.
Cut out the form and mail it to "Conrad's Saddle and Tack Repair....No Charge"
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Cut out the form and mail it to "Conrad's Saddle and Tack Repair....No Charge"

Jim,
Really appreciate the offer. Can you PM me the address?
A mares leg for a takedown has always been a favorite.
But then I have an obsession with takedowns, and many others......
Looking for something for a scoped bolt action with a 24” barrel. I’m not sure if I want a case or a scabbard. I was in San Antonio and they had some nice looking leather cases at the Mexican market.
Try Sam Andrews.
He did all the leather for the magnificent seven.
I've seen a few of these that are nice.

https://www.oldtradingpost.com/trip...oped-rifle-scabbard-with-flap-p-621.html

As a word of caution on leather goods imported from Mexico... (You said you'd seen some in San Antonio..)

Be careful. The leather in Mexico is tanned differently that top grain leather here in the U.S., and may be harmful to some gun finishes.
This hand tooled scabbard came with the 264 win mag rifle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Hubert Re: Leather Rifle Case/Scabbard - 01/20/20
Mexico tans leather with urin..
Posted By: pete53 Re: Leather Rifle Case/Scabbard - 01/20/20
very nice
Mexican leather tanned in the sewer. I relined a mex saddle and you wet the skirts to put in new sheepskin. Stunk so bad had to open the doors. Told the owner. He said was for a sheepherder so didn't care.
I’ve got one of these. I never use it.

Where can you find a booted scabbard these days? One with a separate boot to cover the butt of the stock.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mine is made out of very heavy bull hide. I bought it in 1973, and it has travelled literally thousands of miles on horseback, skidoos, and in airplanes.

Ted
Very Nice Moorewood...
Yukoner, (autocorrect tried to re-name you Yummier, very disturbing)

My course of action in a case like that is to find a guy who does nice leather work, loan him what you want recreated and hope. I have been pleasantly surprised more often than not. A true craftsman likes a challenge in a bit of custom work. And typically can put a notch in their belt , generate some marketing materials for their effort.
I always write a commendation letter for an extra effort, well done job. Many of the firm's who did this stuff have been sold over the past 20-30 yrs and some have switched to govt contract tactical synthetics...
You might check with guys focused on collectors Doubles. These guys usually have good leads on old cases/recreations...

Good luck..
https://www.murdochs.com/products/e...nd-yellowstone-scabbard-with-stock-flap/
Originally Posted by Morewood
This hand tooled scabbard came with the 264 win mag rifle.

cool
I no longer have any horses, praise Jesus !!
Thanks OMotS,

I ask because several have seen it, commented that they have never seen one with a boot before, and would like to get one.

It gives the rifle and the scope complete protection from the elements, and more importantly from brush. As well, when the boot is secured to the scabbard, as you see in the second picture, there is no way for the rifle to slip from the scabbard. The connecting strap becomes a carrying handle when not on a horse, yet the buckle can be opened in a moment and the boot removed quickly. Really keeps snow out of the gun while travelling by skidoo.

Was hoping there might be someone still making them. Your suggestion to take it to a good leather man is appreciated. Our man here in Whitehorse has been ill for a couple of years, and died just a few days ago. There are others who can do such work, and no doubt the heavy bull hide can be found at any good saddle maker shop.

Ted
Originally Posted by slumlord

Dont you mean your mom no longer makes you slave over her pets she never rode???
Lol!!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Sell it man!!!

Ammo money!!!!
I’m pretty sure Pat Sinclair-scenarshooter here builds one. You know it’ll be built right without urine tanned leather! Hahaha

https://montanagunslings.com/
Ted,
I think you are on the right track.
Many of the saddle makers wound up with gov't contracts making slings and holsters for WWI.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by slumlord

Dont you mean your mom no longer makes you slave over her pets she never rode???
Lol!!

Yeah, that

I wanted to shoot one in its blaze face for biting me on the shoulder while I was brushing it. That’s a fine how do ya do aint it?

No good deed...

The old woman was working on its hooves, she had me hold a twitch on that mare. I wrenched that MFer’s nose upside down with extra malice. grin

Sell it man!!!

Ammo money!!!!

I got mountains of this kinda old crap around here. I need to sell it. Managed to sell off some WWII USGI gear. Then I temembered all the WWI stuff in another box. Found another box full of meat tins aka mess kits, WWI, WWII, US, French, Brit. All kids of crap. Coleman camping crap. Somehow ended up with a bunch of that. Old footlockers. Honestly I dunno what all I got. I would love to sell it all.

Black Sheep brand. Bought it in Lewiston, MT several years ago.

Posted By: EdM Re: Leather Rifle Case/Scabbard - 01/21/20
Again, have you looked here? Not cheap but will live for generations.

https://www.murraycustomleather.com/
Posted By: hosfly Re: Leather Rifle Case/Scabbard - 01/21/20
That hand tooled one is NICE!,,, When I was a sprout on the farm I made one out a truck tire inner tube that worked like a charm,, hung it from the horn bottom tied in to the girth an never flopped around,,kept a 30-30 lever gun in it,,

Sell it man!!!

Ammo money!!!!

I got mountains of this kinda old crap around here. I need to sell it. Managed to sell off some WWII USGI gear. Then I temembered all the WWI stuff in another box. Found another box full of meat tins aka mess kits, WWI, WWII, US, French, Brit. All kids of crap. Coleman camping crap. Somehow ended up with a bunch of that. Old footlockers. Honestly I dunno what all I got. I would love to sell it all.

Go to the peddler website for clarksville Tn.
Swap trade paper around here.

Couple of guy in it always looking for ww2 stuff.
Paratrooper stuff mostly.
Goggle up other sites
Local probably

Ammo money.
Thanks Ren50, I’m thinking what I might do is get all my stuff together and rent a table at gun show (God help me). I know! If I can keep from strangling dolts it will be a miracle.

But after the 4th time I explain to the same sap, " yes it’s a Brodie helmet" I may loose all my composure.
© 24hourcampfire