Home
At age 49 I've been thinking about my overall health as I progress through the upcoming decades. I've been stepping up my physical activity and am currently 30 lbs lighter than I was 10 years ago, now 150 lbs at 5' 9". I have a workout buddy at work and we do mini workouts on our breaks which include pullups, crunches, stairs and pushups. Today I did the most pushups I've ever done, 80 straight. Not bad considering that I've had rotator cuff repair surgery on both shoulders in the past. I've also had multiple back surgeries in the past.

I shudder to think what my health would be like in the future had I continued being overweight and not physically fit. I've got many mountains to climb and lots of critters to chase, hopefully for years to come. I hope some of you other guys will be encouraged to improve your health too. It feels great to be able to do things in the outdoors you couldn't do before!
Congratulations. I turned 53 and started evaluating my health. I've spent 3 decades on the road (do field work on power generation and oil/gas equipment) and the lack of being able to have a routine and reliable exercise/eating habits have taken a toll. Although I'm not terribly out of shape, I feel terrible physically. Part of it is probably just the impact of age, but I decided I need to do something. I'm 5-11 and weighed myself at 206 the other week. I've vowed to lose 20 lbs by my birthday in July and work on better eating and exercise habits. I even signed up for a Spanish Ibex hunt to increase the motivation!!
5 feet 9 inches and 150 pounds, are you using meth?
Originally Posted by Hastings

Dude, this is the internet. 5’9” is probably 5’7”. Depending on frame, etc., that is a good weight. I’m 6’1” and my ideal weight is something like 165-170.
Originally Posted by Theeck
Dude, this is the internet. 5’9” is probably 5’7”. Depending on frame, etc., that is a good weight. I’m 6’1” and my ideal weight is something like 165-170.
Sorry,I was joking with him. I used to be 5'8'' now I'm 5'7'' and fight to stay 195. When I got below 175 I looked emaciated.
6’ 1”. Weigh 185, do lots of walking, need to do more
Good deal Sambo, hell, you looked to be in fit condition at the Gun Show last year, Congrats on having to buy smaller britches ; ] smile I'm crowding in hard on 60, I best start gassing on it!
Originally Posted by hanco

6'2" in my socks and a svelte 254lbs this morning.
Good for you, Sambo.
Posted By: las Re: Gotta brag on myself a little - 01/22/20
I m 6 even, 150 # at age 71. Same height/weight as I was at 18.

Got up to 170 once, felt like Jabba the Hutt. It was the beer. Dammit, I liked beer!

I've meet Sam. I'd say he is being spot on. Myself 6"4" 240. Too many years setting in equipment and less physical work is starting to show. But still better than most my age but not as good as a few.
Posted By: add Re: Gotta brag on myself a little - 01/22/20

That is sooo 90's.

Tapeworm diet is all the rage now.
Originally Posted by add

That is sooo 90's.

Tapeworm diet is all the rage now.

Had a friend who wanted to market it as the "gut buddy" weight loss system. He was sorry to find it had been done in the 1920s.
Posted By: Dess Re: Gotta brag on myself a little - 01/22/20
I'm 5' 6" to 6' 2" depending on which gas station door I exit.

Your mileage may vary.
Originally Posted by hanco

185 is my goal.
Start lifting really, really heavy.
It jump-starts testosterone like crazy.
Low reps and you won't get big, just strong.
I'm 50, 5'6" 155 and I'm deadlifting 350 and squatting almost the same.
Congrats on your success.
Good on you sambo3006. At a minimum, as we all progress in age, we must stay active. A sedentary lifestyle will be one's downfall if nothing else gets you first.

Those BMI charts are outdated. At age 18 I was close enough to 6'1" to round up. I was 172 at grad and looked like a rake thanks to all the running and sports. In the next 2-3 years my shoulders grew and by necessity my suit size went up a few sizes. My brother described me as "barrel chested".

I wish I had had a brain and kept my weight down, but I don't think i should be 170-180 like the BMI says. I would look like a concentration camp prisoner. If I had a good exercise routine, I can support 225-235 quite well. 210-215 Is as low as I would ever want to be. Anything less and I would look ridiculous.

Almost 56, last 15 years have been crap. 2 back surgeries and now 2 foot surgeries in the last 7 months. Foot surgeries because the initial back injury/surgery eventually twisted my foot . 5 weeks into recovery and things are starting to heal fast. Pins and PIC line out Tuesday hopefully. Open wound is finally closed.

Looking forward to rehab, but I'll never run or play sports again, that ended in 2005. Long way of saying I could stand to lose 40-50 lbs.
sambo3006,

Congrats, man. I didn't start till I was 72. Now at 75 I am in pretty good shape.
AB2506,

Man, I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope you recover and smoke me when you're old.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Good deal Sambo, hell, you looked to be in fit condition at the Gun Show last year

That was nearly two years and ten pounds ago amigo! Time flies, don't it? grin
Originally Posted by sambo3006
At age 49 I've been thinking about my overall health as I progress through the upcoming decades. I've been stepping up my physical activity and am currently 30 lbs lighter than I was 10 years ago, now 150 lbs at 5' 9". I have a workout buddy at work and we do mini workouts on our breaks which include pullups, crunches, stairs and pushups. Today I did the most pushups I've ever done, 80 straight. Not bad considering that I've had rotator cuff repair surgery on both shoulders in the past. I've also had multiple back surgeries in the past.

I shudder to think what my health would be like in the future had I continued being overweight and not physically fit. I've got many mountains to climb and lots of critters to chase, hopefully for years to come. I hope some of you other guys will be encouraged to improve your health too. It feels great to be able to do things in the outdoors you couldn't do before!

That is damn impressive. It's one thing to power through muscular pain. Powering through joint pain is a different animal.

what a stud.......... grin
You're talking about gunner500, right? grin
Good deal Sambo, hell, you looked to be in fit condition at the Gun Show last year

That was nearly two years and ten pounds ago amigo! Time flies, don't it? grin

Good Lord! Yessir it does. smile

Uh No, I come in whining to Wife, flop down and let her scratch my head with those sharp fingernails. grin

Uh No, I come in whining to Wife, flop down and let her scratch my head with those sharp fingernails. grin

At a certain age the good scratchings almost I say almost Better Than Sex LOL
© 24hourcampfire