Home
Posted By: Lennie Hold my beer, I'm going for it - 01/22/20
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/David-Callahan-San-Joaquin-River-police-chase-14994943.php

Man dies after making 300-foot-jump over San Joaquin River in a Mercedes

A 58-year-old Fresno man escaping police died Monday after driving a silver Mercedes sedan at over 100 mph and hurtling it over the San Joaquin River, according to multiple news reports.
The Fresno County's coroner's office identified the man as David Callahan.
The Fresno Bee reported the car traveled some 330 feet across the river, leaving officers stunned.

"In my 20 years, I've never seen a vehicle travel close to that distance," CHP spokesperson Mike Salas told ABC News.

The police pursuit began when officers said they noticed a swerving car, with the driver refusing to pull over. Initially, the chase was slow with Callahan driving at 30 mph, but then he sped off, police say.

Callahan crossed the river where North Dickenson Avenue hits a dead-end at West Herndon Avenue and a river bluff.
The incident is under investigation. Salas told ABC30 that drugs may have been a factor.
"They were able to find that there were some issues going on at the house that may have contributed to him leaving erratically from his residence," Salas said.
Chicks will do that to you.
Posted By: DMc Re: Hold my beer, I'm going for it - 01/22/20
Sounds like he LANDED IT!

Upside down
Shoulda used a '68 Charger.
Did he do the horn on the General Lee when the car was airborne?
That is crazy, drugs, women, recipe for disaster.
Originally Posted by KenMi
Did he do the horn on the General Lee when the car was airborne?

...and yell "Yee-Hawwwwwwww"

I remember reading an article about the cars used in filming “Dukes of Hazzard”.
If memory serves, they averaged 2 or 3 Chargers and 5 or 6 Satellites or Ambassadors or Galaxies or whatever model they used for cop cars. That was per episode.
Burt Reynolds and JM Vincent used a rocket powered T/A in Hooper to jump a 300 foot gorge. Getting over 330 foot out of a stock Mercedes? Guy musta had her cranked! grin My hat’s off to him!
7mm
“Just a good old boy...”
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Must have been a "BOAT TAIL" Mercedes.
Guess he didn't think through the landing part on that 300 feet of air
And ya, the General would have nailed it. Mercedes.... phhht
Really stuck the landing!
Flattenin’ the hills...

Straightenin’ the curves..
Speaking of PD Cam, I hope to god they've got that on video!
Originally Posted by prplbkrr

Or a '79 Trans-Am..I've seen it done!
He saw too many action movies.
Originally Posted by prplbkrr

A rebel flag on top would have given him another 100 feet.
Wonder if the groundhog survived the landing.
I think I’m gonna have some beer tonight
© 24hourcampfire