Home
Posted By: Raeford Cell Phones-harmful effects? - 01/24/20
Anyone know of any good reports on cell phones and their effects on the human body?
I have recently developed a sore spot on my thigh right where I carry my phone.
I wear carpenter style jeans in winter and the same style of shorts in summer, always carry the phone in the tool pocket against my right thigh.
Coincidence?

Not sure if I need to start wearing my tin foil hat or create a tin foil barrier for my thigh.
Posted By: Dess Re: Cell Phones-harmful effects? - 01/24/20
Can't speak about a cell phone, but I stopped putting my wallet in my hip pocket and my sciatic nerve thanked me for it.
Try carrying the phone in a different pocket for a while
Cell phone car wrecks are a plague.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/03/28/cellphone-use-1-in-4-car-crashes/7018505/

Drivers are constantly reminded not to use their phones while behind the wheel, but a new study reminds us just how dangerous it is.

The National Safety Council's annual injury and fatality report, "Injury Facts," found that the use of cellphones causes 26% of the nation's car accidents, a modest increase from the previous year. The 2014 edition of the report compares data from 2013 and earlier.

Only 5% of cellphone-related crashes occur because the driver is texting. The majority of the accidents involve drivers distracted while talking on handheld or hands-free cellphones
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Try carrying the phone in a different pocket for a while

Started this yesterday to see if anything changes.
Posted By: hanco Re: Cell Phones-harmful effects? - 01/24/20
I have mine in my shirt pocket.
Had a similar issue occur. Back in the flip phone days, I carried the phone in the same pocket all day. My leg started to tingle and burn. After I went to a phone clip, that all went away. However, I'm not sure I won't have some type of lasting effect from it.
Cell phones warp the user's view of reality. Cell phones contribute to psychological control and abuse. Cell phones stifle independent thought. Cell phones may induce users to make foolish decisions based on faulty info. Cell phones induce the user to accept invasion of privacy. There must be some positive aspects of cell phone use as well or people wouldn't willingly live with them glued to their body. GD
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet
Originally Posted by greydog
Cell phones warp the user's view of reality. Cell phones contribute to psychological control and abuse. Cell phones stifle independent thought. Cell phones may induce users to make foolish decisions based on faulty info. Cell phones induce the user to accept invasion of privacy. There must be some positive aspects of cell phone use as well or people wouldn't willingly live with them glued to their body. GD

Well, this was informative........almost not exactly
Thanks?

Thanks
Its been very harmful. My wife knows where I am and can talk to me whenever.
Cell phones transmit and receive constantly. It's only a small of amount of radiation (not radioactivity, there's a difference) but if it's right next to your body for many hours of the day, it adds up. Is it harmful in the long run? Some people think so. Others say it's perfectly safe.

But that's what they said about Agent Orange.

If we were aware of the barrage of radiation we undergo every day, we'd be alarmed and appalled. Not just cosmic rays and natural radioactivity, but TV, radio, radar, Bluetooth, cell phones, high tension wires, and more. Our bodies are being positively bombed with radiation.
I've been carrying mine this way for 5-6 years.........Hoping it's nothing.

There are effects around muscles in the neck and back due to the angle of the head etc.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Cell phones transmit and receive constantly. It's only a small of amount of radiation (not radioactivity, there's a difference) but if it's right next to your body for many hours of the day, it adds up. Is it harmful in the long run? Some people think so. Others say it's perfectly safe.

But that's what they said about Agent Orange.

If we were aware of the barrage of radiation we undergo every day, we'd be alarmed and appalled. Not just cosmic rays and natural radioactivity, but TV, radio, radar, Bluetooth, cell phones, high tension wires, and more. Our bodies are being positively bombed with radiation.

Agent orange was safe. We sprayed it until it was banned here on the farm. No cancer at all.

Of course getting doused with the stuff was not safe.

Same with phones.

But it seems that everyone has to go off one deep end or the other lately about things( not directed to you)
No offense taken, good sir. I do think you are wrong about Orange, though. Some people like myself seem to have escaped any long-term problems. But thousands more weren't so lucky.
I wonder about all that electricity flying through the air all about us. I need to pick my tinfoil hat at the cleaners.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I wonder about all that electricity flying through the air all about us. I need to pick my tinfoil hat at the cleaners.

5G will up the anty on this.
Theoretically possible but -
Cell phone signal strength: -30 dBm on the high side (0.000001 Watt)
TV transmitter: varies, say 600 kW ( 600,000 Watt)
Yet there are no dead zones around TV transmitters.

Average US background radiation 624 millirem per year
CDC says 73% is inhaled

So if I was a worrywart I'd wear a dust mask rather than worry about a phone
Smart phones severely impair your ability to sit quietly and pay attention to whatever it is you are supposed to be paying attention to.

Seriously, does it bounce, chafe or knock against your leg.
Wait until 5G is really prevalent. I bet the outcome will not be good
They screw up the brain's ability to think critically when used by the young.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Smart phones severely impair your ability to sit quietly and pay attention to whatever it is you are supposed to be paying attention to.

When at desk chair it is pushed fairly hard against the thigh, same when in vehicle.
Those 2 account for 5-6 hours five days a week.
"Agent orange was safe."

It wasn't safe in Agent Orange when it was sprayed in Vietnam and it's still not safe today in anything. Dioxin is a carcinogen no matter what you put it in. It might get you yet.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

When at desk chair it is pushed fairly hard against the thigh, same when in vehicle.
Those 2 account for 5-6 hours five days a week.

That's probably enough.
I have had sore spots from stuff in poorly designed located cargo pockets. I rarely use them now or save for soft stuff...
If you have been doing a lot of game stalking maybe your thigh muscle got a little bigger, enough to increase the pressure the phone puts on it....
Posted By: K22 Re: Cell Phones-harmful effects? - 01/24/20
"Cell Phones-harmful effects?"
Was this done with tongue in cheek or sincere?
Generally when this is asked it isn't actually sincere. The preferred answers are what must fit the movie we have playing in our head. Anything outside of that is BS or Conspiracy Theory.
Remember a few years back, and the reports of a rash of cancers among the Highway Patrol Officers, caused by resting the radar gun in their lap while it was not in use?

While the EM radiation from a cell phone is far less powerful than a radar gun and a different frequency, I ain't laying it up against the boys for any length of time.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Theoretically possible but -
Cell phone signal strength: -30 dBm on the high side (0.000001 Watt)
TV transmitter: varies, say 600 kW ( 600,000 Watt)
Yet there are no dead zones around TV transmitters.

Average US background radiation 624 millirem per year
CDC says 73% is inhaled

So if I was a worrywart I'd wear a dust mask rather than worry about a phone

TV transmitters...anecdotal only.

My son is in HVAC and they maintain the local transmitting facilty. He says that every time he goes into the area of the transmitters, it makes his skin crawl and gives him severe headaches and nausea.

He said they used to keep a caretaker housed on sight near the base of the antennas, but he gradually went nuts over several years and ended up in suicide.

again...anecdotal only
The dude we know of, One-Leg Pete he shot his leg off but it was a blessing. He had leg cancer. Not sure what type cell phone he toted.
Ima try to avoid that scenario!

After not carrying it in the pocket for 24 hours the soreness is noticeably reduced.
When they have to cut your leg off Reaford.
Are you gonna change your username to IHOP???
LOL!!!
If'n I have to-I think 'one leg frank' will work.
[spoiler][/spoiler]Just go with OLF....
Then you can be aka:"Outdoor Life Frequenter"

Annoying when something like that screws up your daily routine/system....
Might just be repeated exposure to the heat from the battery.
If you're cruising on you hog on a pleasant day w/o a helmet and an oncoming like style rider hits a deer, and flips, and the phone in his pocket flips out and smacks you in the face with a closure rate of 110 mph it's gonna hurt.

Otherwise I ain't worried. And I don't ride motorcycles. And I already won the Agent Orange lottery.

Phfffft-
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
TV transmitters...anecdotal only.

With the number of TV transmitters in the world that's quite a pile of anecdotal.

Actually very little RF energy gets loose at the transmitter. Engineers go to great lengths to make sure every bit of energy gets chased up to the antenna. And the FCC has strict limits for human exposure. Everybody thought the limits were rediculously low when they were announced.

I would still worry more about background radiation if I wanted to worry. it has a very much stronger ionizing potential.
Originally Posted by hanco
I have mine in my shirt pocket.

So do I. I suspect that after a few more years my left man boob will be a girl boob.
Kind of along this line. I have a card that opens an automatic gate at the airport. The card quit working so i got another one from the airport manager. He said don't put it in your pocket with your cellphone. The cellphone will kill the card. Probably what happened.
© 24hourcampfire