Home
Posted By: wabigoon Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20
I'd like to just once, sit on a log by a campfire, finish of my meal from a tin plate, roll a cigarette, light it with a burning stick from the fire. Then pull the cork out of a flat pint bottle of whisky.

Yes, I've seen John Wayne do that. laugh
Been there, done that, many times- - - -it's all good!
Jerry
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20
I quit smoking in March of 81, I'd want to be on death's door. laugh
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'd like to just once, sit on a log by a campfire, finish of my meal from a tin plate, roll a cigarette, light it with a burning stick from the fire. Then pull the cork out of a flat pint bottle of whisky.

Yes, I've seen John Wayne do that. laugh

Well, you see where that got him, don't you? Gotta be careful what you wish for. You just might get it. wink

L.W.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20
Geeze....I would sure like to start smoking again some day.

Would have been absolutely perfect today.

Was at a Lutheran church for a funeral. Lutherans sure like to sing.....

The old women were hustling so I poured coffee and water. Skipped the funeral sandwiches.

Finally got outside.....sun shining.....nice weather. Beautiful day.

A smoke would have sure been nice right then.
I'm not pushing smoking. I did enough of that. on quitting, Like Mark twain, It's easy, I've done it a thousand times.
Ice fishing. As a Texas born and raised native don't see much of that here.
Ice fishing, that I have done.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My ice fishing partner died 20 years ago.

Thats something I would like to do again with him.
I wanna go fishing with Roger.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Yep me too. He's not too far away from me. Hopefully sometime relatively soon
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33

Yep me too. He's not too far away from me. Hopefully sometime relatively soon

And Kamo Gari. And DVDGeorge. And Lt Powell.

And you guys.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20

That's something I would like to do again with him.

Harry's been gone 10 years now. We both liked to fish, not sit in a heated ice house drinking beer and playing cards. Then there was the night Harry snagged a big northern near the dorsal fin. Neither of us had thought to bring a gaff, but we got it! Coulda sold tickets. laugh
Would definitely do a gulf coast fishing trip with any campfire folk.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20
1) Alaskan moose hunt

2) Grouse hunt in the Scottish Highlands (the land of my ancestors) with a 20 ga. Purdey SxS

Neither are, nor ever will be, within my budget.
Posted By: Dess Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20
Hunt wild pheasants behind Tango, my old German Shorthair.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20
The campfire fart scene from Blazing Saddles would be fun.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20
So, go into the forest, build a fire, cook something, enjoy the meal and have a smoke.
What is stopping you?
No skydiving, That sudden stop. laugh
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20
Originally Posted by Dess
Hunt wild pheasants behind Tango, my old German Shorthair.

Miss Harry in the field too, behind Belle, officially his wife's dog. He favored a 20 ga. O/U that was officially his wife's too but just happened to fit Harry like it was made for him.
Posted By: Robert_White Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20

It's the thrill of feeling like you are getting away with highway robbery Scot free!
Ha!
Posted By: Robert_White Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/24/20
Wabigon...

For some dumb reason, I think I like a fellow who would post this! Ha!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Its only rolling and smoking one. Thats not going to do squat to you.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Originally Posted by JeffyD
1) Alaskan moose hunt

2) Grouse hunt in the Scottish Highlands (the land of my ancestors) with a 20 ga. Purdey SxS

Neither are, nor ever will be, within my budget.

The moose hunt is cheaper than you think. But the success rate won't be that good. Even guided moose are not always 100%.. But thats just FYI. Can't help you with the other.
Posted By: EdM Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20

Bring your oar. grin
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
slap a cute 21 yr old on the ass, oh did that today have to think of something else.
Posted By: papalondog Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
No skydiving, That sudden stop. laugh

If you skydive out of the plane and your parachute doesn't open, it is really no big deal.
You have the rest of your life to figure it out!
Posted By: Fugawe Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Do all three kinds of diving in one day. Skydive, SCUBA and muff.
Done 'em all, just not on the same day.
Posted By: hanco Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
That sounded good except the smoke, never had one in my mouth.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Posted By: jimjr Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
I just want to build a good fire with a couple of friends, cook something and eat then sit back and poke in the fire with a stick til late in the night. Maybe pass around a bottle too.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Originally Posted by nighthawk

That's something I would like to do again with him.

Harry's been gone 10 years now. We both liked to fish, not sit in a heated ice house drinking beer and playing cards. Then there was the night Harry snagged a big northern near the dorsal fin. Neither of us had thought to bring a gaff, but we got it! Coulda sold tickets. laugh

Grandpa and I would get started in the morning.

Drive out to the pond and set some tip ups. Five or six of em usually.

We would then do chores, feed cows and chickens and what not. Chop ice for the bulls.

About 11 we would go back and check the tip ups. Usually catch a couple rainbows.

Fry em up and fry some potatoes. Can of corn, maybe green beans.

Standard winter time lunch. Haven't ice fished since he died.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
You good folks are welcome to fish through the lake ice with me anytime.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Hunt and fish in Wyoming. Hear an elk bugle. It's funny how some of the things we dream about doing, others take for granted.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Originally Posted by jimjr
I just want to build a good fire with a couple of friends, cook something and eat then sit back and poke in the fire with a stick til late in the night. Maybe pass around a bottle too.

That is exactly what I will be doing next weekend.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
You good folks are welcome to fish through the lake ice with me anytime.

Never done that. Looks like fun.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
I'd like to put on a backpack and spend a few weeks hiking and camping wherever I ended up. Carry a shotgun for grouse and small game and an ultralite fishing rod for the pot.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Buy a new used truck before I die.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Originally Posted by rost495
Its only rolling and smoking one. Thats not going to do squat to you.

It would sure taste good. Winston tastes good like a coffin nail should. And they sure did.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Buy a new used truck before I die.

I hope you get to do that too, ms.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Hunt and fish in Wyoming. Hear an elk bugle. It's funny how some of the things we dream about doing, others take for granted.

I never took hearing an elk bugle for granted. It seemed I lived a life time to get that done. I remember being 50, one year after lung surgery. Back packed in with bro for 5 days. Laying under a nylon tarp, listening to something clicking in my lung when I inhaled. Hard to sleep.

Sat on a mountain ridge the next morning I had climbed hours ago before daylight. Seemed a lifetime since killing a bull with my bow. Nearly was, I guess. Feeling sorry for myself. Going to give up on rifle bull elk. Probably archery too.

Then I took off my grey brown old Stetson and thanked the Lord for just letting me be alive and able to sit up there and breath the sweet aspen/fir scented cool mountain air. Said Amen, put my hat on and then heard the heard bull bugle 200 yards away on a timbered ridge above Valleceto Lake. Took my hat off and said, Thank you Father in Heaven.

Put it on and went and called him a while and spooked the heard out when I got meaner sounding than I guess he liked. He made a funny call and cows came running into the evergreen thicket he was in and then they booked it. But I made a miraculous shot between two Aspen, by the grace of God when they showed themselves running through an Aspen draw heading to go over the rim.

It still took an hour and another miracle to find him, but I was 3rd time blessed with another miracle that morning after I gave up after finding no blood. I was really down then, thinking I had missed and hit an Aspen in the lilltle draw between me and them they had run across headed over the rim.

Sat down and rested, thanked the Lord for the chance and decided to try one more place in lower oakbrush on the way back to camp.

From low, to high and then low again.

But, by Gods Grace, there he lay, surrounded by thick oak brush, having peeled off from the herd.

I guess you could say I believe in prayers answered, and miracles, too. Yep, HIS and HIS Angels HE's had save me on many close calls and near missed have laid many miracles on me.

PTL. Thank you Father in Heaven.

Posted By: gophergunner Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
I wish I'd gotten more time hunting with my dad the guys from our camp. The Olde Guarde, as we called them are all gone now. There was so much to learn from these good men, but that time has passed. We'll hunt together again some day Dad. This I promise.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20

I quit in November of 1996. I grew tobacco from 1973 until 2000, so I wanted to support my crop, or at least that's how I'd justify smoking. Just laid them down, and walked away, actually pretty easy to quit.

Have to admit though, that a smoke with that first cup of coffee in the morning sure was good, and after a big meal, or when you were trying to calm your nerves. I smoked mostly Marlboro's, some Winston's, and a brand called Buck's that was on the market for a while. When I quit, I was smoking Winston Lights' and I still have the half a pack of them left that I had in my pocket when I laid them down. I kept them as a reminder of how my stupid I was to have spent all money on smoke, when I could have bought some cool guns instead.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Minus the hand-rolled coffin nail, I've done the rest of that, Wabi. Deer camp, campfire, camp vittles, and then a bit of sippin' whiskey. More than one season, actually. High up here in the Utah mountains, with the sky like velvet and the Milky Way as bright as a diamond necklace above, campfire sparks trying vainly to join the stars. Memories of it so pure that I have no desire to try to do it again - and possibly ruin it all.

Somedays? I'd genuinely like to look at you on the other side of the boat, reeling in wallies and smallies in Ontario.
Like this Rock? That is my good Canadian friend Keith. Not afraid I'd break out in a sermon when you are helpless to stop me? laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: slumlord Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Get myself a jet pack

Been hooked ever since San Andreas GTA
With all the things I'd still like to do, I'll say I've not been shorted out of anything. I thank the Good Lord for the life I've led, and a wonderful wife, and family.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
I'm immune to sermons - already been hit by lightning. Twice.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
I'm moving somewhere good when my 8th grader graduates. Don't know where that is, depends on several factors. But I'm going somewhere.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Take her fishin'.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Shoot a charging cape buffalo or hippo at spitting distance with a big bore double rifle.
My retirement dream is to start duck hunting in northern Manitoba and Saskatchewan and follow the migration all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.
Load my camper on my truck, hook up my boat filled with deeks and load my dog up and live on the road for four or five months shooting ducks in two provinces and twelve states.
Then hang out on the Texas coast for a couple months and follow the Snow geese back north slaughtering them for a couple months.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Things To Do Someday. - 01/25/20
Honestly catch a 1000 lb mako or tuna.
© 24hourcampfire