Home
https://variety.com/2013/film/news/...i1JaevM3Nc0z5rxj1VyGy6B-HbWJShPggLH2o8_Y

Tommy Lee Jones is heading out west again and will write, direct and star in a remake of John Wayne’s 1972 pic “The Cowboys.”

Warner Bros. is on board to develop the film with Donald De Line producing.

The original also starred Bruce Dern and followed a rancher who is forced to train a group of boys and get a herd to market on time to avoid financial ruin after his cattle drivers leave to look for gold.

Lynn Harris will oversee for Warner Bros.

Jones is no stranger to the Western genre, making strong turns in Ron Howard’s “The Missing” and the classic miniseries “Lonesome Dove.” He directed “The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.”

Jones, who is repped by CAA, can be seen next with Robert De Niro in Relativity’s “The Family.”
He was good in Lonesome Dove. He needs to realize that he is not John Wayne, and never will be.
Tommy's character never changes.

Just the role. Same in every movie...

The Cowboys is a good story, but Hollyweird seems stuck on re-makes of old movies. Surely they could find some new material...?
Atleast someone is doing a western.. As Kevin Costner said... There's no money in westerns.

Sad....
The Cowboys with John Wayne is a classic no doubt, great stuff. But if anyone could pull off a remake it would be Tommy Lee.

Not only is he a great actor but a real "cowboy" in the sense of being a first rate horseman. The scenes in Lonesome Dove (riding the Hell Bitch) were all Tommy no stunt double. The sliding dismount from her in the fight scene was all him trained by him. ("I despise rudeness ") . Tommy can saddle his own horses..

Having said that I believe he stands a chance at doing his part in a remake of this classic. I predict it will be worth watching.....
Tommy Lee fuggin Jones can choke on a dick and eat shidt till he dies.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Tell us how u really feel
This won’t be worth watching.
Ancient news. That article came out in 2013....even says it in the link provided.

Was not Jones a roommate of Al Gore?
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Yep, Yale men.
The Cowboys with John Wayne is one of my favorite movies of all time. Don't see them improving on it.
In the classic westerns, the theme was the good guys win out over evil. Hollywood seams to not like that now days.
Originally Posted by logcutter
Atleast someone is doing a western.. As Kevin Costner said... There's no money in westerns.

Sad....

Says the guy who starred in "Dances with Wolves". He should have said there's no money in movies like "WaterWorld" or Road Warrior on the ocean, what a stinking pile that movie was. Tommy Lee Jones is a good actor IMO.
It won’t be as good
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by logcutter

Sad....

Says the guy who starred in "Dances with Wolves". He should have said there's no money in movies like "WaterWorld" or Road Warrior on the ocean, what a stinking pile that movie was. Tommy Lee Jones is a good actor IMO.

He was great in No Country For Old Men...and is always solid.
In the classic westerns, the theme was the good guys win out over evil. Hollywood seams to not like that now days.

That's because it's the bad guys that are making the movies now.

Hollywood has lost any grasp of reality or who everyday Americans are and what we want.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

The Cowboys is a good story, but Hollyweird seems stuck on re-makes of old movies. Surely they could find some new material...?

TRUTH! ^^^^^^

Hearing "remake" is a huge turnoff. I'd rather watch the "Rerun".
A bad western is better than than most holly-weed politics-filled b.s.

And the same could well be said for John Wayne. He just played John Wayne in every roll they gave him. NOT that that is a bad thing.

I think the only people who really liked the remake of True Grit are those who were not around to grow up with the original. Rooster Cogburn is forever John Wayne in my mind.

The same is true of The Cowboys. A classic story of boys taking on the task of being men, as boys have done throughout history when the need arises. It is one of my very favorite movies, and was perfection in the original. I would strongly avoid seeing any remake. I would rather rewatch the DVD of the original from our collection.

But then I would probably say the same thing about a remake of MIB with anyone but Tommy Lee playing Agent K.
How much you want t bet at least one of the youngsters will be questioning his "sexuality".
Sometimes I like reading 7 yr old articles as well.,

I have to ask, why such a great dislike?
Paul B.
Don't mess with one of the best movies ever.
According to IMDB, The Cowboys (II) is "In development." That means they are working on a script to try and get it in shape for filming. No telling how long that will be.

I have a firm idea the new movie -- if they ever get it off the ground -- will be very politically correct, as Hollywood demands today.

Probably the young "cowboys" will be of mixed race, gender (gotta have at least one girl "cowboying up,") and of course, a couple of the young boys will be homosexuals who on the long trail a'windin', find true love with each other and show the others that homosexual love is a normal thing and to give it a try sometime.

The black cook will be extremely activist crusading for equal black rights for all blacks and reparations also. He'll argue with Jones about how the young cowboys are being exploited by the running dog capitalist pigs and they should have higher wages, health care, pension plans and have to work only 8 hours a day with rest on weekends. He also insists on schooling the boys at night as they are missing school, and it is revealed he has a PhD from Harvard in Social Studies. He just likes to cook gourmet trail food. The cook threatens to call in Child Welfare Services if Jones does not capitulate.

Animal rights activists will block the trail protesting how the evil Jones is treating the cows horribly and taking them to their ultimate end, packages of hamburger. Jones promises he will give the cows a good home instead of taking them to the slaughter house.

In the end, the young cowboys will not use evil guns to thwart the bad guys (all of whom will be horrible white guys) but will through their intellect, persuade them to give back the cattle and turn themselves into the local sheriff for murdering Jones and stealing cattle.

Then everyone (except Jones) lives happily ever after.

Watch and see. grin

L.W.

It's been seven years now and no mention at all about his The Cowboys remake since the 2013 article. He's appeared or starred in more than a half dozen other movies over the past 7 years too. Could be wrong but my guess is odds of it still happening are slim.
LW,

You made my morning, I'm still laughing !
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
According to IMDB, The Cowboys (II) is "In development." That means they are working on a script to try and get it in shape for filming. No telling how long that will be.

I have a firm idea the new movie -- if they ever get it off the ground -- will be very politically correct, as Hollywood demands today.

Probably the young "cowboys" will be of mixed race, gender (gotta have at least one girl "cowboying up,") and of course, a couple of the young boys will be homosexuals who on the long trail a'windin', find true love with each other and show the others that homosexual love is a normal thing and to give it a try sometime.

The black cook will be extremely activist crusading for equal black rights for all blacks and reparations also. He'll argue with Jones about how the young cowboys are being exploited by the running dog capitalist pigs and they should have higher wages, health care, pension plans and have to work only 8 hours a day with rest on weekends. He also insists on schooling the boys at night as they are missing school, and it is revealed he has a PhD from Harvard in Social Studies. He just likes to cook gourmet trail food. The cook threatens to call in Child Welfare Services if Jones does not capitulate.

Animal rights activists will block the trail protesting how the evil Jones is treating the cows horribly and taking them to their ultimate end, packages of hamburger. Jones promises he will give the cows a good home instead of taking them to the slaughter house.

In the end, the young cowboys will not use evil guns to thwart the bad guys (all of whom will be horrible white guys) but will through their intellect, persuade them to give back the cattle and turn themselves into the loczl sheriff for murdering Jones and stealing cattle.

Watch and see. grin

L.W.

Pretty much what I would expect nowadays Pilgrim.

Hollywood has lost any grasp of reality or who everyday Americans are and what we want.

Bingo: I think we have a winner. The rewriting of history is the goal, everything must be corrected is the intent of the left/commie mind set. Cheers NC
Originally Posted by 45_100

In the end, the young cowboys will not use evil guns to thwart the bad guys (all of whom will be horrible white guys) but will through their intellect, persuade them to give back the cattle and turn themselves into the loczl sheriff for murdering Jones and stealing cattle.

Watch and see. grin

L.W.

Pretty much what I would expect nowadays Pilgrim.

About what I would expect too from such a liberal.

Watch and see. grin

L.W.

laugh laugh laugh

And at least one transsexual cross dresser male, too... crazy ... whistle ... grin

LW, great commentary. I appreciated the humor. Expect you are very correct in your view.
Originally Posted by sackett
Ancient news. That article came out in 2013....even says it in the link provided.

Why is ancient 2013 news being reported on here?
Tommy Lee looks like he is over 100 years old now.
Nailed it, Leanwolf.

If they cast Morgan Freeman as Jebediah Nightlinger I'm boycotting.
but Hollyweird seems stuck on re-makes of old movies. Surely they could find some new material...?

There are only so many ideas. Not just westerns, but most of the movies made in the 70's were remakes of movies from the 50's which were remakes from the 30's. Think about it, how many Billy the Kid movies are there, or Jessie and Frank James. Often you get the same story with a different title. Heck, even John Wayne did some of the same movies multiple times, they just changed the title.
they should make a movie about the old 300.
Originally Posted by joken2

It's been seven years now and no mention at all about his The Cowboys remake since the 2013 article. He's appeared or starred in more than a half dozen other movies over the past 7 years too. Could be wrong but my guess is odds of it still happening are slim.

The film project is indeed dead by all appearances.

Usually when that happens, it means the movie couldn't get the backing or the funding.

Many are the movies that have died this death.

The real pity is seeing what has been released in the past few years, and you wonder just how in the hell THEY got funded...?? eek
Originally Posted by JamesJr
He was good in Lonesome Dove. He needs to realize that he is not John Wayne, and never will be.

That’s a fact.
Great movie. No doubt Tommy Lee Jones will do great. One of my favorites.
I wonder who the actor is that gets to kill him in the movie?
Originally Posted by Morewood
Nailed it, Leanwolf.

If they cast Morgan Freeman as Jebediah Nightlinger I'm boycotting.

Morgan Freeman takes his cues from Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. They are all race baiting pieces of s hit
I'd rather watch Morgan Freeman in a movie over Danny Glover anyday.
Originally Posted by okie
The Cowboys with John Wayne is a classic no doubt, great stuff. But if anyone could pull off a remake it would be Tommy Lee.

Not only is he a great actor but a real "cowboy" in the sense of being a first rate horseman. The scenes in Lonesome Dove (riding the Hell Bitch) were all Tommy no stunt double. The sliding dismount from her in the fight scene was all him trained by him. ("I despise rudeness ") . Tommy can saddle his own horses..

Having said that I believe he stands a chance at doing his part in a remake of this classic. I predict it will be worth watching.....

I have it on pretty good authority that he’s pretty damn good at getting drunk and falling off horses too. And that he’s an A #1 Liberal Asswhole too.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I have it on pretty good authority that he’s pretty damn good at getting drunk and falling off horses too. And that he’s an A #1 Liberal Asswhole too.

Your sources are pretty accurate. grin

In the end, the young cowboys will not use evil guns to thwart the bad guys (all of whom will be horrible white guys) but will through their intellect, persuade them to give back the cattle and turn themselves into the local sheriff for murdering Jones and stealing cattle.

Watch and see. grin

L.W.

PREZACTLY !!!
Maybe Quentin should write/direct it.

LW nailed it
One of my favorite movies but I'm sure Hollywood will find some way to ruin a remake. We will probably need to have a gay scene on the cattle trail and a second wagon (besides the chuckwagon) that can be a safe space for when the cowboys feel threatened. They need to stop with the classic remakes and focus on finding new ideas.
Want to be cowboy.Everyone I know that competed with him cutting said he was a [bleep].
[bleep]
Only saw maybe a dozen movies growing up and dependent on Mom and Dad to take me. The Cowboys was one of them. It was okay. It wouldn't make my top 100 westerns. It's an odd choice to remake. So was 3:10 to Yuma.
Originally Posted by Bullhead
[bleep]

Yeah, he can be. But not all the time. wink He is pretty interesting to visit with.

I know his ex-wife as well. She sure doesn't think much of him... laugh
Originally Posted by PJGunner

Paul B.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

I wouldn't shidt in his mouth if he was starving to death.
Originally Posted by PJGunner

Paul B.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

I wouldn't shidt in his mouth if he was starving to death.

Great movie.

Notice the subtle diversity and SJW crap embedded in everything that comes out of Hollywood these days.
Original Cowboys - ‘I’ll make some Sugar Tits to take along’

Remake - I’ll make some gender neutral ginger bread cookies to take along’.
Im sure that to meant say, high corn frutcose soy milk in a non gender simulated flesh dispencer
Wonder if they’ll let the boys say the “N” word in the cabin scene...
I think he makes a better bomb maker than westerns. Can't remember that movie but sure was better than them Westerns he acted in.
theyll never remake anyway unless its called cow-persons
The big question is - why?
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
I think he makes a better bomb maker than westerns. Can't remember that movie but sure was better than them Westerns he acted in.

You didn't like him in Lonesome Dove
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yes sir I have heard that too Getting drunk riding a horse and falling off is a pretty easy trick to pull off I don't care who you are.Time will tell about the movie though...As for being liberal that's pretty common for folks in his line of work . I am still willing to give him a chance to do a good job of it if it ever happens.
Tommy Lee Jones is a great actor but the remake will probably be disappointing to all who have seen the original. Hard to improve on "the Duke". Most remakes are disappointing. Case in point, the remake of The Getaway. The original with Steve McQueen was great. The remake with a "B" actor was very disappointing.
If I had to pick an actor for a remake of "The Cowboys" , I think I'd rather see Robert Duvall in the role. Of course it's still hard to imagine it being as good as the original.
7yrs in planning for production for a remake of a John Wayne movie????

Main actor getting ready for it with in home nursing care and geriatric physical therapy workouts more than likely????

Tommy Lee got a hover round chair with his name and 2 stars on either side of it on the set????

LOL!!!
I'm quivering in anticipation!!!!
Originally Posted by Ackleyman
Tommy Lee Jones is a great actor but the remake will probably be disappointing to all who have seen the original. Hard to improve on "the Duke". Most remakes are disappointing. Case in point, the remake of The Getaway. The original with Steve McQueen was great. The remake with a "B" actor was very disappointing.

Exactly....which was my point in asking "why"...

Assuming any would even accept the role, there's very, very few still working actors of the appropriate age range with the name recognition and popularity necessary for Hollywood bean counters to support casting in the role of John Wayne's character.

Assuming any would even accept the role, there's very, very few still working actors of the appropriate age range with the name recognition and popularity necessary for Hollywood bean counters to support casting in the role of John Wayne's character.

The remake of True Grit was awful. Bridges is an ok actor but he played it too serious. John made it serious with a touch of humor. John played the part well.

Originally Posted by Redneck

The remake of The Magnificent Seven with Denzel Washington in Yul Brenner's role is another example.

Originally Posted by 378Canuck

That movie was Blown Away, good movie.
Trying to play a John Wayne role is like opening for the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.

The Cowboys is iconic because it wasn't a typical shoot em up \ showdown and one of the very few flicks where Wayne dies. Leave it alone Hollywood.

Only one person on this thread eluded to Bruce Dern's role. Bruce is a unique talent that doesn't tire me out like Tommy Lee and I can't think who could pull off a performance comparable to his in that film.

If this new crew of filmakers wanted to make a sequel why not focuson that annoying character -Cimarron and have some pretty boy tell his tale after the cattle drive. Leave the rest to posterity.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Most of you loved the pitiful pos remake of John Wayne's classic, True Grit.
Originally Posted by Texczech

The remake of True Grit was awful. Bridges is an ok actor but he played it too serious. John made it serious with a touch of humor. John played the part well.

i though it was much better and closer to the book.
Originally Posted by Redneck

My two guesses:
TLJ thinks more highly of his skills and legacy than he should

A remake gives the left a chance to add a pile of unsubtle PC bullsheit to an otherwise great story.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Only saw maybe a dozen movies growing up and dependent on Mom and Dad to take me. The Cowboys was one of them. It was okay. It wouldn't make my top 100 westerns. It's an odd choice to remake. So was 3:10 to Yuma.

well its about boys getting their first piece of tail and becoming men
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Yep, Yale men.

The closest John Wayne ever came to acting was in The Searchers. Any remake of the others could only be better. As to his worst, that would have to go to the 2 True Grit movies.

Phil
Lotsa hand wringing over a movie that ain't gonna be filmed.

Project was shot down 7 years ago...
© 24hourcampfire