Home

Recently inquired here about your CarMax experience......here's mine

Found the car I was looking for.....CM had it in Henderson NV...$99 to ship to SLC

Cheaper than driving there to get it.....so made the deal to ship on Jan 3rd....finally

on Jan 22....it arrives....independent truck carrier......must have stopped at Mustang Ranch a couple of nights in Reno

This was the only frustrating part of the deal....picked the car up yesterday..2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium w/95K miles

Super clean..2 owners in AZ & NV...all the bells & whistles...navigation...6 CD changer...Bluetooth....most of all

Mark Levinson 17 speaker sound system....OMG.......a $4K option when car was new......sounds incredible !

CM offers a 7 day return policy with no questions asked..along with a 90 day 4K mile warranty...opted for no extended warranty

This is going to replace my wife's DD..an '05 Tacoma DC SB which she has driven the last 14+ yrs & 176K miles

She's having a hard time parting with the Tacoma....but has agreed with me to sell.....after driving the Lexus around today

Overall...CarMax gets a thumbs up from me..no dicker on the sticker...paid high book for the GX 460...but the condition shows it

CM file pics.......my pics later on........

[img]https://img2.carmax.com/img/vehicles/17809197/4.jpg?width=2398&ratio=16/9[/img]

[img]https://img2.carmax.com/img/vehicles/17809197/23.jpg?width=2398&ratio=source[/img]
Nice
Man how you guys afford these new vehicles?
Originally Posted by 79S

New ???????????

9 yrs old w/95K miles !!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by 79S

New ???????????

9 yrs old w/95K miles !!!!!!!!

That’s the only way to fly. Let someone else eat that depreciation
Bought an 08 Fusion with lots of extras three years ago. Leather interior, bun warmers, Sirius radio, turbo, Sun roof. Had some miles but a complete history. It started out in Hawaii , Ne,. and then Misery. Bought for close to book but moderate mileage. Good salesman, no dickering, only had to go back for a small part replacement that was already scheduled and paid for. Runs good, looks good, and pleases She Who must be Obeyed. Simply, it is her car. Would go back. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Looks like a good vehicle, and appears y'all are happy. smile
No gun lockers in mine. Won't be going to a miniature gun anytime soon. Wish the back seat had a disappearing gun locker that came out of the trunk. Never the room behind the seat close like in a small pickup. That's why I usually drive the truck. And Carmax had them but I just bought one from family last January. 2004 Ranger 4x4 with 67,000 miles for $8,000. Couldn't pass it up as I'm old and no acreage. And Grumpy! Be Be Well, Rustyzipper
Good experience several times w CarMax. Far and away the best way to buy a car from a dealership nowadays.
Thanks for the info, TN. I'll check 'em out in the future.
I went to a Carmax once. Didn’t much more than get out of my car before a woman walked up to me and said “Before you start looking, let me tell you how things work here.” I told her as long as I was the one with the money, I would decide how things worked, got back in my car, and drove away.
Great looking ride for your bride, hoping she’ll let you dive it on date night?
Only bought one vehicle, for my bride, through CM. Was very pleased as well. As 163bc said above, best “dealership” way to go.
Man you all bunch of big money types.
Last new vehicle I got was in 1998, nice 1978 olds 88... still have it cold weather up here hard, on her. I’m on my 4th maybe 5th transmission, I can’t remember . Motor little tired 275K miles on it.. I paid $125 a month for 4 yrs for that car.
That’s a sweet ride..I think she’ll love it!
Very nice. My wife has a Lexus too, great rides. I worry far less about her on these nasty mountain roads.
Our next one will be a '16 RX350--maybe in April and I'll consider CM.
Bought my 2017 Ram at CarMax. In and out in less than an hour. I knew what I wanted, the price I would pay and they had the truck. I was very happy with the experience and would certainly buy from them again. The only way to beat them is to buy from an individual and you will not get the exchange or warranty CM offers.

Perry
How are the heaters in these new vehicles? Mine stopped working so I use a big buddy heater.. to keep my car warm.. this summer need to track down parts to fix it..
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I went to a Carmax once. Didn’t much more than get out of my car before a woman walked up to me and said “Before you start looking, let me tell you how things work here.” I told her as long as I was the one with the money, I would decide how things worked, got back in my car, and drove away.

Well, you showed her didn't you.

[Linked Image from ]
I thought this was about car wax frown

I knew a foxy 17 year old blonde in 1968 that worked at the car wash. Her only job was to ask each customer if they wanted car wax with the wash. Who could say no to Nancy?
@OP, Congrats on the new ride. Your better half will love it. Also appreciate the good report on CarMax.

Tried to get my wife to go with an older Lexus RX last year. She decided she would prefer a newer Highlander. Agree, let someone else eat the depreciation.
I sold them a car. They paid full book value on it. I was happy. Didn't have to mess with yo-yos wanting to drive my car, wanting me to hold it, offering trades and two-party post-dated cashiers checks.
Originally Posted by 79S

Turn off the A/C and the hot water 🙂
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

CM was easy.....was beginning to wonder after 2 weeks and no car delivered yet

They did refund my $99 ship fee also....added $199 doc fee....tags & license..full tank of fuel & detailed

This link is for a similar 2010 Premium.....but no Mark Levinson sound system......I paid $22K

Another note......came with a full size spare .even mounted on a Lexus alloy wheel......

Car is super nice & quiet....full time 4x4....4.6L 301 HP V8 & 6 sp auto.....weighs in at 5400#

Plan on going through it soon.....plugs....filters....gear fluids...serp belt etc.......

https://www.carmax.com/car/17206714
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

CM was easy.....was beginning to wonder after 2 weeks and no car delivered yet

They did refund my $99 ship fee also....added $199 doc fee....tags & license..full tank of fuel & detailed

This link is for a similar 2010 Premium.....but no Mark Levinson sound system......I paid $22K

Another note......came with a full size spare .even mounted on a Lexus alloy wheel......

Car is super nice & quiet....full time 4x4....4.6L 301 HP V8 & 6 sp auto.....weighs in at 5400#

Plan on going through it soon.....plugs....filters....gear fluids...serp belt etc.......

https://www.carmax.com/car/17206714
Congrats...I too have made several sales to CM and also one purchase. They were all very good experiences.
I bet they went through all those items already with a fine toothed comb. They have quite the system going upon taking in a vehicle.
Has anybody here bought through Costco? I tried to look at the list what's available last week and was pretty turned off by the amount of info they required just to look at inventory.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Has anybody here bought through Costco? I tried to look at the list what's available last week and was pretty turned off by the amount of info they required just to look at inventory.

Not with Costco.

I made the mistake of plugging in the info for Sams club. Zip. Cell #.

Dealers in 150 mile radius started cold calling. Fug that.

All i wanted was an idea of how much of a discount it would have been.
Wife is on the cusp of trading in her '10 Lexus RX350. She loves the vehicle, but not the 55-mile drive to the nearest Lexus dealer for service. (I think that's also YOUR nearest dealer, tikka. Larry Miller in Murray.) I almost have her talked into a Highlander Hybrid from our in-town Toyota dealer. I think a test drive would convince her. I have an '08 Highlander and plan to keep it.

Seems reasonable grin
Not reasonable at all. If you don't listen to the rules, you have no idea if they work in your favor. Greg will never know.
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image from ]

Probably storms past the Walmart people at the exit doors too.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Wife is on the cusp of trading in her '10 Lexus RX350. She loves the vehicle, but not the 55-mile drive to the nearest Lexus dealer for service. (I think that's also YOUR nearest dealer, tikka. Larry Miller in Murray.) I almost have her talked into a Highlander Hybrid from our in-town Toyota dealer. I think a test drive would convince her. I have an '08 Highlander and plan to keep it.

Larry H Miller in Lindon.....right off I 15.......or

Brent Brown Toyota.......Orem on 15

Will do my own services......
Originally Posted by Calvin

Seems reasonable grin

Unfortunately, gregintenn accomplished absolutely nothing for his gas and time.

Should have at least heard her out.

Although I didn't end up selling them my last truck, I was not unhappy at all with my experience with CarMax.

Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Not reasonable at all. If you don't listen to the rules, you have no idea if they work in your favor. Greg will never know.

May be reasonable, maybe not... depending on the sales rep's verbal approach and overall demeanor.

I've walked away from salespersons myself before and would do it again too if they approached and addressed me in what I felt was too haughty of a manner.

As always though, YMMV...

That sounds like an open mind.
Bought two from them, good experience
Lexus has no peer IMO. Nice buy Tikka. My next one will be an RX350L.
My wife has a 2002 LX460 w/ 135k on it and it's been a fantastic vehicle. I've been trying to talk her into a newer model but she loves that SUV!
9 yrs old w/95K miles is a new vehicle to me.
Originally Posted by 79S
Last new vehicle I got was in 1998, nice 1978 olds 88... still have it cold weather up here hard, on her. I’m on my 4th maybe 5th transmission, I can’t remember . Motor little tired 275K miles on it.. I paid $125 a month for 4 yrs for that car.

Currently I’m running a 270,000 mile and a 360,000 mile pair of Corollas. Gonna need to buy something low miles or new one of these years so I can pay it off before I retire.

I know that, but dang, the school auto shop teacher is an ace mechanic who keeps the two I have running for only the price of parts. Makes it hard to contemplate buying another.
when I already have two that start up every time I turn the key.

Toyotas rock 😎

here's what the Lexus is replacing........wife's DD for 14+ yrs.....

'05 Tacoma w/183K miles......been one of my better 'Yota's......

sale pending......no advertising needed.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Never used CM but I've purchased through Enterprise a couple of times, have been happy with my dealings there. Looking at trucks now.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Not with Costco.

I made the mistake of plugging in the info for Sams club. Zip. Cell #.

Dealers in 150 mile radius started cold calling. Fug that.

All i wanted was an idea of how much of a discount it would have been.

same thing happened to me with sam's club.
i had bought cars in the past using costco, happy with them

OK

finally got a pic snapped of the CarMax purchase......

happy camper here......wifey too............

rides like a (Lexus) dream.......... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire