Home
https://ktxs.com/news/local/150-lbs-mountain-lion-shot-near-tuscola
That's pretty far north for lions.

Good riddance!
What are the legalities of shooting a mountain lion in Texas? Are they considered predators just like coyotes and no additional tag required or what?

ETA: That is a dandy trophy by the way. I had a chance to shoot one here in PA back around 1994-1996. They claim there are none here. I had him in the scope and could have had him (or her). I said to myself if they don't exist how can I get in trouble for shooting it? Then I got to thinking and didn't know if they had any Federal protections and let it walk.
Originally Posted by sbrmike
What are the legalities of shooting a mountain lion in Texas? Are they considered predators just like coyotes and no additional tag required or what?

Yes. Like coyotes and skunks. A non-game animal in Texas.

TPWD would like you to report kills and sightings though, so they can keep records of such.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Good riddance!

I’ve seen one twice at the Ranch. About 80 miles or two counties north of there.
[quote

ETA: That is a dandy trophy by the way. I had a chance to shoot one here in PA back around 1994-1996. They claim there are none here. I had him in the scope and could have had him (or her). I said to myself if they don't exist how can I get in trouble for shooting it? Then I got to thinking and didn't know if they had any Federal protections and let it walk.[/quote]pay

I believe you on the Pa cat cause I have seen 2 a few years apart in Potter county myself

Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Good riddance!

I’ve seen one twice at the Ranch. About 80 miles or two counties north of there.

I think they are everywhere.

They can roam hundreds of miles.

Farthest north I've personally seen one was in San Saba County.

Hell of a big lion. must be getting fat on hogs?

doubt if there have been many honest 150 pound lions killed in AZ
BIG kitty!
Congrats to the hunters.

I think they are everywhere.

They can roam hundreds of miles.

Farthest north I've personally seen one was in San Saba County.[/quote]

Your right about that. They say the ones here in Missouri come from South Dakota.
Several years ago I asked the head of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park if he thought we'd ever get bears on the North Coast. He said probably not, because they would have to cross open areas to get here. Last year there were at least four bear sightings here, including one 2000' from my house in a suburb.

Later I asked the wildlife expert at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History if we'd ever get gray wolves here, They roam great distances and we first got coyotes about 25 years ago. He said we would probbly get mountain lions first.

Good riddance!

Really? I'd bet they're roaming far north of tuscola.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Good riddance!

Most lions in Texas are seen along the Rio Grand, or not far from it. Lots of lions in Mexico, and they roam northward.

To see one that far north isn't real common here.

It's just pretty far north for Texas. grin Not really talking about lions in mountain states.
Multiple sightings of a female over the past couple of years and as recent as two weeks ago here 15 miles NE of Boerne.
It's been years now but one was sighted in Parker county.

While deer hunting me and 3 other hunters heard one growl once.

Makes one tend to be real careful walking to and from the stand.

Good riddance!

Most lions in Texas are seen along the Rio Grand, or not far from it. Lots of lions in Mexico, and they roam northward.

To see one that far north isn't real common here.

It's just pretty far north for Texas. grin Not really talking about lions in mountain states.

I was thinking up 'round kent county. Some pretty rough country up there.
Wifey and her sister swear up and down they saw one around here about 6 years ago.
I told her they’re both mistaken, cause the Game Commission says there ain’t none in PA! grin
Runs in my mind that one was spotted somewhere north of Harrisburg a few years ago too. Of course we know that’s impossible, right? laugh
7mm

I was thinking up 'round kent county. Some pretty rough country up there.

Sure possible!

Here's a not too recent map of dead lions by county.

Too bad it's not more up to date...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Got 'em in the panhandle too. Had one here(Hutchinson co) in a residential area just a few months ago. Was on a lady's back porch.
That map does not include Bexar County. Lions have been seen regularly on Camp Bullis Military Reservation right outside of town forever, I myself found two kills and smelt them on occasion when doing bird work on that base. I have heard mountain lions twice in the park adjoining that base while walking my dogs back in the woods at night, both within 50 yards, unseen in the dark.

Lions have also been seen well inside the city limits amid built-up areas...

https://www.facebook.com/News4SA/photos/a.353923047444/10152745433072445/?type=1&theater

2018 on the campus of UTSA along Leon Creek....

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/sa...on-sighting-at-utsa-near-east-campus-lot

And most recently, just about 15 miles from my house in Castroville...

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/hiking-walking-trails-shut-down-after-mountain-lion-sightings

After some years of getting away from it, I have resumed walking my present dog through the woods in that park at night, sometimes I forget to bring a flashlight.
I was told they are around Leander and Liberty hill. Out around the Nameless Road area.
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Wifey and her sister swear up and down they saw one around here about 6 years ago.
I told her they’re both mistaken, cause the Game Commission says there ain’t none in PA! grin
Runs in my mind that one was spotted somewhere north of Harrisburg a few years ago too. Of course we know that’s impossible, right? laugh
7mm

7mm and you other PA guys.

When was the last lion mortality found in PA? Road kill, misidentified kill by a hunter, someone protecting their livestock? Verifiable game cam pics even (must be millions of them things out in the PA woods)

It's certainly possible there are some there, maybe in surrounding states too, but the evidence that I've run across doesn't prove it. When I lived there in '99-'00 I expected one to get shot every season there were folks out in the woods, as there were sure a lot of folks out there. People's dogs, mules, horses, even some elk seemed to get shot during deer season, how come no lions?

I think it would be great for PA to actually get a verified mortality of a wild mountain lion so we could end the speculation. Perhaps there are a few released from private owners or escapees, but I've yet to see or hear of any actual evidence of their existence there.

If you see one shoot it so we know for sure.

Geno
That's a big kitty.
IVe seen tracks here in Erath County but have never seen one. A kid in Palo Pinto County hit one with his truck a few years ago west of Mineral Wells. I’d love to kill one. A lot of city deer hunters around say they have seen them. But until one produces a dead one or a legitimate picture I won’t believe them.
Originally Posted by viking
I was told they are around Leander and Liberty hill. Out around the Nameless Road area.

Govt guy got a couple off my brothers lease adjoining Inks Lake St Park about 8 years ago.
We’ve had two different sightings on our lease just South of Breckinridge, Tx in the last three seasons. I saw one in ‘16 and brother saw on in ‘18. Probably same one. I’d be estimating 80-90lbs. Long and lean w really long tail. Both times crossing the main entry road down to camp house. Have a friend who has big ranch just North of town and says they have been there forever. Family owned ranch for over 100 years.
Lions are awesome creatures, and that looks to be a damn big lion.
Cool deal CHLI, glad they smoked the fawn/deer killer!
I saw two at my place in Erath Co. Real Co. has plenty. Travis Co.by the Lakeway golf course.
There have rumors of them here in my part of Kentucky. There have been confirmed trail camera pictures of them not too far from me, most likely one just passing through. One of the places that I hunt for coyotes and bobcats is a very remote area that encompasses several thousands of acres of heavily wooded land. Several residents of the area swear they've seen one. I think about that every time I turn on the FoxPro.
my brother got's pics of one with two cubs here at the botanical gardens on the edge of town . he was doing rodent surveys and came across them while checking his traps.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
my brother got's pics of one with two cubs here at the botanical gardens on the edge of town . he was doing rodent surveys and came across them while checking his traps.

Ya Rog, I recall you mentioning a roadkill some years back along I37 too.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Ya Rog, I recall you mentioning a roadkill some years back along I37 too.

yes it was a big one, still regret not stopping and taking its head for the skull.
it was about 30 miles south of SA.
50 yards?? I'd definitely need to change my britches after that.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
They look real pretty when pretty dead.
That would be a cool mount, though.....and expensive. LOL.
Do half of you guys piss yourselves if you get caught out n the dark? Bunch of fuggin fud clowns
Originally Posted by rosco1
Do half of you guys piss yourselves if you get caught out n the dark? Bunch of fuggin fud clowns

No.
The place I’ve heard em twice at night over the last 20 years has steep hiking trails back in the woods. If I’ve heard two they’ve prob’ly been back there twenty times when I was passing through. Slow and clumsy in the dark, with a 40lb dog close by as an additional draw, I always feel like I’m trolling for lions 🙂

I might be the only guy I know who carries primarily in case of unafraid feral hogs and mountain lions.

Why, Ike...Whatever do you mean?
Ice snakes are a potential hazard anytime you're over 65-70.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Ice snakes are a potential hazard anytime you're over 65-70.

Snow snakes are much worse!

I piss myself like an old fud when I see one of them. grin

Just imagine if they heard a bigfoot scream or saw a landing pod come down from the Mother Ship.

Not enough paper in the world to clean up those messes.

Geno
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Just imagine if they heard a bigfoot scream or saw a landing pod come down from the Mother Ship.

Geno

I ain't askeered of those bigfeets.

Dem black panthers skeers me mo!
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Geno

I ain't askeered of those bigfeets.

Dem black panthers skeers me mo!

You ain't in Florida F L A, therefor no worries.

Just like PA Mt Lions, I wanna see a real dead black panther carcass (of the feline kind) from Florida.

Geno

PS, that Mother Ship stuff though, I'm afeared of them. I think they might want to take me back to the home planet where I'm just a serf or other meaningless entity.
I’ve seen 4 or 5 through the years, didn’t shoot them.
Buddy’s family has a place just north of Del Rio.
His mom was sitting in a deer stand reading a book just relaxing one afternoon.
Sh heard something and looked up and out the window to see a big cat sitting 10 feet from the stand looking down the hill toward a feeder.
Scared the hell out of her cause all she had was a 38 loaded w snake shot
i've had one on my back... i survived.
Originally Posted by HTDUCK
Buddy’s family has a place just north of Del Rio.
His mom was sitting in a deer stand reading a book just relaxing one afternoon.
Sh heard something and looked up and out the window to see a big cat sitting 10 feet from the stand looking down the hill toward a feeder.
Scared the hell out of her cause all she had was a 38 loaded w snake shot

Was bow hunting at the Ranch one evening when I had one approach my feeder. Circled around sniffing the ground. Looking for does I suppose. Didn’t shoot it, just watched it. 25 to 35 yards away. I had left my pistol at the house that evening and my flashlight. Long walk back to the house after dark that night. 🤠
Similar experience at Big Bend Ranch years ago, on a school trip.

I realized I had left my binocs on a hilltop about three miles away from the dorms. Fading light going out, full dark coming back, clear and cold in winter. Saw fresh lion tracks, a good sized one, at a tinaja on my way out, had to walk right by there on the way back. Ever felt “watched”?

Beautiful night tho, so many stars I had trouble finding the familiar ones.
Originally Posted by plainsman456

I was dropped off, at dark thirty, by an outfitter near a creek drainage in Colorado to watch for elk. About five minutes later a real low growl rumbled down the ridge. A minute later a much louder and nearer growl sent me up the side of a pile of boulders with my penlight blazing and a round in the chamber of the 7 mag. Definitely causes butt clenching!

I’m sure that you’ve had more than your share of “up close and personal” encounters with lions. Tell us about them!
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Originally Posted by plainsman456

I was dropped off, at dark thirty, by an outfitter near a creek drainage in Colorado to watch for elk. About five minutes later a real low growl rumbled down the ridge. A minute later a much louder and nearer growl sent me up the side of a pile of boulders with my penlight blazing and a round in the chamber of the 7 mag. Definitely causes butt clenching!

I’m glad you mentioned “a real low growl”, one my then wife and I heard not far above us on a hill one night was so low and rumbling it sounded like an African lion on the Discovery Channel. Didn’t know mountain lions could sound like that.
Eastern and southern tenderfeet are funny.
Originally Posted by sbrmike

ETA: That is a dandy trophy by the way. I had a chance to shoot one here in PA back around 1994-1996. They claim there are none here. I had him in the scope and could have had him (or her). I said to myself if they don't exist how can I get in trouble for shooting it? Then I got to thinking and didn't know if they had any Federal protections and let it walk.

Shoot first, then figure out the rules later. 🤣🤣
How did you nephews place kill the cat?
Originally Posted by arkypete

You have to understand how a Texan relays information. They never say something like "A man was shot in Abilene and they can't find the assailant."

They say something like: "The victim in this story is my sister's cousin's step-dad."

Nobody knows why.

had a buddy who had two grown female and one male lion, i use to pick up every road kill i'd find to feed them. anyway i was putting carpet in his house and he had two of the cubs in the house and one of them jumped on my back, playing, still scratched the chit out me.

had a buddy who had two grown female and one male lion, i use to pick up every road kill i'd find to feed them. anyway i was putting carpet in his house and he had two of the cubs in the house and one of them jumped on my back, playing, still scratched the chit out me.

LOL, I read your first post and was going to ask, cougar or mountain lion, thanks for the clarity.
the 4 legged ones are not as dangerous.
So I've heard! eek ; ]
remember the mercury commercials from the 70s, the cat in that was one of Jame's that he sold.
I remember those cars and that cat, damn, where's that 45 years go?
yeah its been awhile.
https://borderzine.com/2018/05/mexican-gray-wolf-slowly-making-its-way-back-to-texas/

lol i know a guy who got laughed off a hunting group on FB for claiming he heard wolfs while hunting in the hill country, maybe it wasn't his imagination.

lol i know a guy who got laughed off a hunting group on FB for claiming he heard wolfs while hunting in the hill country, maybe it wasn't his imagination.

the state of arizona and a lot of people deny those wolf's are anywere other than they were requested to be.
not willing to admit not all are collared and have in fact moved into other areas, such as central arizona.
a wolf does not sound like a pack of coyotess.
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by arkypete

You have to understand how a Texan relays information. They never say something like "A man was shot in Abilene and they can't find the assailant."

They say something like: "The victim in this story is my sister's cousin's step-dad."

Nobody knows why.

That would be like saying every one from Illinois worships murderers like OJ and rapists like Tyson. But, alas, your probably the only white BOY who does.
Your butt hurt for Texas runs deep. Why don’t you troll your cry baby ass off to another brother love fest thread.
We’re talking hunting here.
© 24hourcampfire