Home
Posted By: SamOlson At least I wasn't driving... - 01/26/20
It never ends.

Dad found a deer horn this morning. Pulled it out and hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....

Two punctures.

[Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]
Dangit.
Posted By: rong Re: At least I wasn't driving... - 01/26/20
Ouch!!
Can you plug that big ,or is it toast?
Tube it?
High priced way to start a thread Sam. Want to tell us about your tire shops out in the west?
We should be able to save it one way or another.

I'll have to talk to the tire man tomorrow.

The tire is less than a year old and they run about $1k apiece so hopefully....

Richard, two tire shops in town. One big fancy co-op shop and my next door neighbor owns a smaller shop that does about 3x the business as the co-op.

He is a fireball of a worker!
In the fall of 72 we put a cultivator sweep in a rear tire on the IH 1066. They had to send the tire out for a section patch.
That tractor sat on a block for a week. No loaner tires in 18.4x 38 back then.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
At least I wasn't driving...

Hahaha. Dad would of pulled out the belt if you had been. Watch where you're going youngster ... grin
Hopefully it can be fixed. Front or rear tire Sam?
I’ve been wanting to train my dog to hunt sheds.

They don’t drop off till about March here. Send a buck last year in early April still with a rack.
Usually happens to me at least once a year with deer antlers... mad

I have fixed them both ways...

Take it off, load the heavy SOB in the pickup, take it to town, have them break it down, plug it with a boot from the inside... and pay them $50. Then do the same in reverse to get tractor rolling again.

Time lost 1/2 day, minimum.

OR...

Limp over to my pickup, fire up the gasoline compressor, stick 3-4 plugs on the plunger and plug the hole, and air it up.

Time lost 20 minutes.

smile

But I gotta admit... Since I put this stuff in my tires, I have not had to do that. https://www.multiseal.us/products/pro-hd-2500/index.html

Plugs a 3/4" hole permanently.
Richard, I imagine that machine will be parked for a day or two. Luckily we have the ol' 4450 as a backup.

Gringo, my dad didn't notice until I asked him what's that funny looking thing sticking outta the tire. Luckily it was on the last load of the day.

Jim, front tire, I believe they are 14.9R28's.

Slum, this is the first shed we've found so far this year. Usually they start dropping about now through February.
I see that now Sam at first the picture was unavailable. Good luck.
Bet thats more common that most people would think.
Posted By: jwall Re: At least I wasn't driving... - 01/26/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

But I gotta admit... Since I put this stuff in my tires, I have not had to do that. https://www.multiseal.us/products/pro-hd-2500/index.html

Thanks for the link.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’ve been wanting to train my dog to hunt sheds.

They don’t drop off till about March here. Send a buck last year in early April still with a rack.

Here too. Real nice muley.
Barry, we'll see what tire man thinks is the best solution. I need to get some of that 'slime' for the 4 wheeler and SxS tires.

Jim, I figured the pic was acting up.

Fat's we've had a bunch of close calls but I can't remember the last time a 'horn' actually went through. I've been lucky in the swather out in the alfalfa. Crunched several antlers but they must have all been pointed tips down so to speak.
Usually happens to me at least once a year with deer antlers... mad

I have fixed them both ways...

Take it off, load the heavy SOB in the pickup, take it to town, have them break it down, plug it with a boot from the inside... and pay them $50. Then do the same in reverse to get tractor rolling again.

Time lost 1/2 day, minimum.

OR...

Limp over to my pickup, fire up the gasoline compressor, stick 3-4 plugs on the plunger and plug the hole, and air it up.

Time lost 20 minutes.

smile

Can you use that in hwy truck tires, Barry?

My tire dealer used to buy this grey dusty stuff from an old man. Put a handful in each tire when mounting and take the truck in after hunting season and take the tires off the rims and pull 10-20 mesquite thorns, nails, screws out from the inside, throw in a bit more and put the tire back on and go.

Old man died without ever telling him what it was.

Sometimes I'd see the low tire indicator go on and watch the pressure go down to 40 or so before it sealed the leak. Unreal.

I loved that stuff. People hunting with me would crap when I just ran over piles of big thorn mesquite brush in old growed up pipelines or cutting across range land after quail or coyotes or javelina.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
It never ends.

Dad found a deer horn this morning. Pulled it out and hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....

Two punctures.

[Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]

Been there done that Sam. It surely sucks.
Shed hunting with a tractor, well I'll be damned. smirk
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I don't think so.

They make a sealant for trailer/RV tires. But I wouldn't run that stuff in pickup tires.
Good luck Sam. Hope it’s repairable.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
It's very common. I've never personally had it happen, but other guys around here bitch about it constantly.
Originally Posted by Salty303
Shed hunting with a tractor, well I'll be damned. smirk

Multi-tasking!
You get many bucks yarded up there in the winter Sam or are they just coming and going?
That sucks, Sammo. Hope you can get 'er patched up!
Originally Posted by Salty303
You get many bucks yarded up there in the winter Sam or are they just coming and going?

Dan, the bucks have learned to hide out close to the farm yard where hunting is not allowed.

They are there year round.

The does however will yard up this time of year and really hit the feed piles when the sun goes down.

Rooster, at least it's warm. Nice 20-35F lately!
I was in a fellows farm shop, and saw a nice collection of sheds, and commented on them. He laughed and said that those were not ones he'd found, but sheds that had punctured tractor tires over the years. There were at least 10 or 12 of them. I've been lucky and never had a flat to one.
Yeah, we've been getting some warm weather too. Haven't cracked 30 yet that I'm aware of but it's supposed to be mild and dry for the next week or so. Welcome change, for sure!
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by FatCity67
It's very common. I've never personally had it happen, but other guys around here bitch about it constantly.

Seen a few guys run over them on going thru thickets rabbit hunting in Feb. rabbit hunt with a utv 😃
It actually got too warm here and turned the packed snow into ice(for about the 10th time this 'winter'). Calling for 40's this coming week, too damn warm damn it!
Damn, 250 dollar downtime boot in the nuts!
Darn the luck, Sam.

Never put a horn into a tractor tire, but did a couple of times in a pickup tire.
lmao off Sam something my dad would do and i'd have to deal with... love them while you can.
Happened to my son last year while on a dirtbike. Brand new tires we got him for Christmas and it was his first outing in the Spring.
I still have one side of a big dead 12 point that my Uncle ran over in the 70's and punctured his tractor tire. The rack hung on a piece of plywood for years and when I asked about it one time, my cousin said "I think it went in the burn barrel not too long ago."

I went and dug through it and sure as hell, I found one side that wasn't burnt up.
It's always a new tire, eh?
Hellava way the shed hunt brother man!!! 😂
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Yes it is. A year ago October, I put all new tires on my pickup. Last fall, in November, I ran over some screws someone had lost in the road, and had to replace both tires on the right side of the pickup. They weren't repairable, too close to the sidewalls.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Yes it is. A year ago October, I put all new tires on my pickup. Last fall, in November, I ran over some screws someone had lost in the road, and had to replace both tires on the right side of the pickup. They weren't repairable, too close to the sidewalls.

I put a new set of tires on my truck. The next day at lunch hour I walked out and one was almost flat. Since the tire shop was close, I limped it down there. They found a 3/8 x 5" bolt inside.

That is just my luck. lol
Sam, At least it is the "little" tire.

I see fluid leaking out of the puncture. What you using for ballast? Still Calcium? Or "Beet Juice"?
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I don't think so.

They make a sealant for trailer/RV tires. But I wouldn't run that stuff in pickup tires.

would throw them out of balance.
That’s repairable for sure, might cost a bit but will be cheaper than new rubber.
Down time may be the worse thing if you don’t have a temp. Deer can get expensive!
That's the second thread I've seen with deer horns in a tractor tire... WTH? Are there that many sheds laying around there?? I've not heard of that type of incident happening around here yet... Man, talk about bad luck..
Originally Posted by Redneck
That's the second thread I've seen with deer horns in a tractor tire... WTH? Are there that many sheds laying around there?? I've not heard of that type of incident happening around here yet... Man, talk about bad luck..

Yes. Lots of sheds laying out there where deer roam...

Tain't really bad luck. They usually fall with the points up. Just using a tractor where deer are...

Rear

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Front

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As I said earlier, now I just plug them and keep on rolling. But have not had to since using the MultiSeal 2500HD. Knock on wood. smile
Posted By: SKane Re: At least I wasn't driving... - 01/27/20
Sam,
Sorry man, that sucks.
Probably still cheaper than keeping and training a dog to find sheds. laugh
I am proactive and cleanup sheds around the farm.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]
We had a dog,once - that Mom banned from scrap T-bones.
After we pulled the second out of a rear tractor tire. smile
We have lots of deer around, hay rake teeth cause more than a few flats here.
caught one on the right front of the Kubota pullin a rake punctured it ,flipped out and hit the cab and wound up in the left rear tire before I could shut down. 4 hrs and almost 700 later we was rollin again
© 24hourcampfire