Home
Does it help or hurt the flu?

Back in the 1800's what else was there? LOL.
Hadacol
NO. I drink until I'm sick.
Coke Classic and chicken noodle soup broth. Not at the same time.
Hot toddy, or a shot of somethin' into some hot OJ, grated fresh ginger, cinnamon, & honey. No better chest or sinus clearing elixir.

FC
Orange juice. Grapefruit juice. Hope and pray you are well soon.

Was the dx medically confirmed?
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Does it help or hurt the flu?

Back in the 1800's what else was there? LOL.

Laudanum
I think it helps for a sore throat. But so does drinking some fresh squeezed lemon juice.
Sure. Especially if a sore throat is in the mix.

Years ago, I took Nyquil at bedtime and woke up around 2 feeling
like dogcrap. Stumbled to the kitchen in the dark and cracked open
a new bottle of bourbon. Half asleep, I thought I would just tip the
bottle and drink a shot or two. A couple glugs and back to bed.

Around 11, my wife woke me up to check me.
I went back to sleep.
1, she kept at it until I got up.
Took a leek, hit the couch.
5, she woke me up and said if I couldn't stay awake, we were going
to the hospital.

I checked that bottle. It was 3/4 empty.
On top of Nyquil. No idea how hammered I was, I slept through it.
Day 5 of the flu. Dr verified. Just feeling good enough to leave the house for the first time to get mail and go to the bank. Real sore throat. Didn't want to have a drink if it'll make it worse.
Interesting question. Had a buddy that would get a bad cold or sinus infection & pour the bourbon down. His theory: fight it off or not GAF.

Depends on how sick you are, how much you like to drink or your attitude as to fuggit. I do know that when I've had a sore throat of stuffed up sinuses, that I've fixed some extremely spicy Bloody Maries, & never regretted it. Even going as far as eating jalapenos till the tears ran.

The old tale that alcohol cancels out antibiotics seems to be just that, a tale, as no google search I've done can confirm. Even my pharmacist won't, can't give me a straight answer on the subject.

If you're taking a med that strongly warns against mixing with alcohol, best be warned. Otherwise,,,,,, trying it might show it's ugly head quickly.
Hot whiskey with a head cold...
Honey and lemon in hot water or tea is well known to be an excellent medicine. Adding a shot of whiskey turns it into a Hot Toddy. Think of it as more medicine.

(gunzo's comment about booze and certain meds, however, must be noted. Good way to be cured permanently, if you get my drift.)
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I checked that bottle. It was 3/4 empty.
On top of Nyquil. No idea how hammered I was, I slept through it.

I think the issue there is with the acetaminophen in the Nyquil: it doesn't play well with added alcohol. I saw a TV report about a guy who downed a 6 pack after work with some Tylenol, and was dead from a toasted liver by midnight.

A fella gots to watch hisself on stuff like that.

FC
I doubt that it helps you get better any quicker, but when I've had the flu or a bad cold a stiff shot of whiskey has sure made me feel better a few times. It usually doesn't take much when you're feeling weak and running a fever, just a little has helped me get to sleep and eased some of the misery.
Posted By: EdM Re: Do you drink when you're sick? - 02/04/20
Miso soup.
Peppermint schnapps, just a tablespoon or two helps with a cold or scratchy throat. I keep it in the freezer.
Originally Posted by Cinch

Anytime I get to feeling a cold or bug coming on I pound the hot toddies.

Half or little less a coffee cup of water, hot enough to dissolve a big heaping teaspoon of honey, a good long squirt of lemon juice and fill to the brim with Wild Turkey. Honestly seems to help.
Hor toddies are beneficial when all else fails. Seriously.
Wiskey hot, wether in toddies or otherwise helps me sweat it out. Be sure to drink a lot of water (hot) also. Put on the sweat pants and sweatshirt and go to bed.
If the cold or flu isn't gone it doesn't matter. You have a hangover anyway.
Water, and plenty of it.
Just got over a horrible cold. I was drinking spiced cider and crown. Don't know if it helped, but sure as heck didn't hurt.
Ha! Wife's friend just stopped by with a concoction of whiskey, lemon juice, honey, apple cider maybe. Pretty tasty if nothing else!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Ha! Wife's friend just stopped by with a concoction of whiskey, lemon juice, honey, apple cider maybe. Pretty tasty if nothing else!

When I was in grade school the teachers kept that in the room and called it cough syrup it had the ability to make a kid cough a lot more than they probably should’ve
Posted By: DBT Re: Do you drink when you're sick? - 02/04/20
I've found that gargling with whisky when you feel a cold or flu coming on nips it in the bud.....you can even swallow a bit, ha, ha.
If you suck on a penny, you benefit from the zinc boosting your immune system and you can stump the breathylyzer too.

🤠

*neither statement has been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration
Yes, 12 year Glenmorangie with lemon and honey.
I can’t say it technically helps, but I will attest that bourbon will improve one’s outlook on the situation.
I drink if I feel like I am getting a cold or flu. A cup of hot tea, lemon, and a shot of whiskey. My mom was big on this and I have been doing it since I was a little kid.

Does it work? Not really but it makes you feel okay for a time.
Jack Daniels and lemon will cure what ails you!
Originally Posted by hanco

Mix a little honey in it and it'll lay back on a sore throat for hours while you sleep.
I only drink when it’s dark.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Yeah, you should definitely stay hydrated. Not alcohol, though.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Cinch

Anytime I get to feeling a cold or bug coming on I pound the hot toddies.

Half or little less a coffee cup of water, hot enough to dissolve a big heaping teaspoon of honey, a good long squirt of lemon juice and fill to the brim with Wild Turkey. Honestly seems to help.

Yep. But I steep some green tea in the water. And use Jack.
Originally Posted by slumlord
If you suck on a penny, you benefit from the zinc boosting your immune system and you can stump the breathylyzer too.

🤠

*neither statement has been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Reminds me of the good old days of cops showing up at high school parties and everyone scrambling for pennies. I would just run out the back door!
No. Other than a glass of wine at certain social events, I don't drink. Seems a few drinks would help one sleep, so there is that.
Are you sick from drinking???
If alcohol is used to disinfect on the exterior, reason would suggest it works on the interior. smile
Sprite Zero...leave the top off and let it get flat....no alcohol for me, I want to stay as hydrated as I can. I've got the flu right now.
Posted By: sse Re: Do you drink when you're sick? - 02/04/20
no fun to do anything fun when you're sick, including having an adult beverage
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

You can buy a coke-like syrup from pharmacies that really help with the flu. We used on on our youngest many years ago and it helped greatly when everything else failed.

Orange juice mixed with Sierra Mist
A helpful treatment when down with the flu is to turn on Netflix and watch The Evil Dead. I don't think it helps with recovery but it feels SO GOOD to turn it off......
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by hanco

Mix a little honey in it and it'll lay back on a sore throat for hours while you sleep.

Add in a Tylenol for and you have a Red Neck Nyquil.
My wife just came down with a bad cold, so I made her a hot toddy and aimed her towards the shower. Hopefully she wakes up better. In the meantime, she’s a little friendlier. wink
Day 6.
Hot gingerale and chicken broth along with Tylenol.

Lynn
Only if I am alone or with someone.
When I don't have to work, I drink. I often work while sick.
© 24hourcampfire