Home
Posted By: wabigoon Gorillia Braid - 02/08/20
The Berkley fishing line. A friend was down to see us in Iowa years back, he stopped at the Fisherman's Factory Outlet in Spirit Lake, Iowa, and bought some Gorilla braid line.

Back in Ontario he gave some to his brother-in-law Joe. Well Joe tried it, and was convinced he lost a good fish, and blamed the line.

If you were on the phone with Joe, all you had to do was say "Gorilla Braid", you could have gone for a walk, showered, shaved, and when you picked up the phone again, Joe would have not noticed you had been away, still cussing Gorilla braid. laugh
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/08/20
I thought this thread was about Moochelle Obama's hair style!
Jerry
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/08/20
If its the stuff I am thinking of, its very very thick for its rating compared to other braids.

I used it one summer, had a bunch left. It cast like crap, is thick but limp (no jokes please) and in general I disliked it.

I htink i spooled it on a chunking rod.

it is budget stuff, right? Hopefully I am thinking of the right stuff.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/08/20
It's not about the line, it's about people that go off.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

Dang, you beat me to it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/08/20
I thought this was a groid thread.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
i use power pro on all my reels, got a new 1500 yard spool of 150lb awhile back.
Posted By: kingston Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
I use Power Pro SuperSlick on my saltwater reels.
Posted By: victoro Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i use power pro on all my reel, got a new 1500 yard spool of 150lb awhile back.

I do too because it's super strong with a small diameter. On spinning reels you can cast onto the wind without getting a backlash.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
I used Power Pro for years and still have it on several reels but I switched to bulk Spectra. I can het a 3,000 yard spool for about the price of 300 yards of Power Pro. I use braid a lot for saltwater fishing. I use it on my Downrigger reels and I have my Downriggers spooled with 1,000 feet of 200# Spectra.

Virtually no stretch and a very small diameter as compared to the same pound test in mono. I always use a mono leader but when a fish trips the Downrigger release I don’t usually need to set the hook since it’s set itself.

Braid is sensitive to nicks and abrasion which is what almost always causes failure in braid. A palomar knot is simple and strong and the right knot to use when using braid.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by hanco

Me too
best place to buy it is ebay.
Posted By: fishnpbr Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
I only use braided line for 2 applications. Yellow Power Pro for vertical jigging walleyes in the river and Berkley Fire Line Micro Ice crystal for ice fishing pan fish and jigging for walleye.
Posted By: WTF Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by hanco

Me too.
Nothing to see here folks.
Posted By: rlott Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I used Power Pro for years and still have it on several reels but I switched to bulk Spectra. I can het a 3,000 yard spool for about the price of 300 yards of Power Pro. I use braid a lot for saltwater fishing. I use it on my Downrigger reels and I have my Downriggers spooled with 1,000 feet of 200# Spectra.

Virtually no stretch and a very small diameter as compared to the same pound test in mono. I always use a mono leader but when a fish trips the Downrigger release I don’t usually need to set the hook since it’s set itself.

Braid is sensitive to nicks and abrasion which is what almost always causes failure in braid. A palomar knot is simple and strong and the right knot to use when using braid.

Back when I fished offshore I would pull a #32 Old Salty on a downrigger up to 250 feet deep with 300# power pro. Didn't do it often because when that rig was out it
had a high pucker factor so it was the only one out. 8 knots was about the limit.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
If you want a thread about peanuts, ask about popcorn.
Posted By: ribka Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20

sierra trading post

300 yds power pro 14 bucks. with code

Just picked up 1/2 doz spools for fishing season
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The Berkley fishing line. A friend was down to see us in Iowa years back, he stopped at the Fisherman's Factory Outlet in Spirit Lake, Iowa, and bought some Gorilla braid line.

Back in Ontario he gave some to his brother-in-law Joe. Well Joe tried it, and was convinced he lost a good fish, and blamed the line.

If you were on the phone with Joe, all you had to do was say "Gorilla Braid", you could have gone for a walk, showered, shaved, and when you picked up the phone again, Joe would have not noticed you had been away, still cussing Gorilla braid. laugh

When I first started using braided lines, I noticed that the usual knots I would use with monos would slip with braids. I just modified the way I tied my knots with it and eliminated the problem. Some of the manufactures even made quick setting glues to stop the slipping.

I never tried Gorilla Braid, but I've used Spiderwire, Spectra and currently have Power Pro on my halibut rod.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

Hahaha. Unreal.

Wabi, line break or knot didnt hold.

You have to use certain knots with braid. The clinch wont cut it.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
I don't know what happened, its been over twenty years. The FFO sells ends for about three bucks. I get along with it.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
I use braid for almost everything these days. Actually it's not braid, but fused line. For the past couple years, I used Nano-Fil on my spinning reels. Ten-pound on most, and six-pound on my one ultralight rod. This year, I'm going to try Berkley Ultra 8 Carrier in 10# on a couple to see if I like it better. I still have some Spectra and some Power Pro on casting reels, but I don't use those much.

I put Fluorocarbon leaders on all my braids. I use either an Alberto knot or a uni-uni. The uni is easier to tie while afloat. I always use seven turns on the braid uni and five on the fluoro. Never have had one slip. I put a split shot on the braid to spin it when I tie the Alberto - it makes for nice tight and even wraps.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
I’m not a big fan of braid—wind knots—need different rod guides. I’m not convinced it helps with walleye although that specie is fishing by feel. I’ve got a couple of rods ragged with it for dipsey divers
Posted By: Blueboy Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
Daiwa J braid on all my reels...best for the money I have it on all my reels. Check out E bay.
Originally Posted by ribka

sierra trading post

300 yds power pro 14 bucks. with code

Just picked up 1/2 doz spools for fishing season

i buy 1500 or 3000 yd spools of 100# or 150# most of my reels take over a 1000yds to spool. i got the spool of 150 for 120 bucks ebay.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Gorillia Braid - 02/09/20
And Gary Gray, gulf coast fisherman of the year on several occasions (IIRC) sticks with mono.. He specializes in specks. Suffer Seige is hard to beat. I use Fins braid fishing for bass in pads and brush.

It's good in salt water when you need to pack long lines on reels for big fish.
© 24hourcampfire