Home
Posted By: Timbermaster Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
We are sitting right at 55” of snowfall in the last 7 days here, high up in the Madison Range. Not unprecedented but relatively unusual. My shovel as well as my back are getting quite the workout. If it weren’t for Summer and Fall, my wife and I would relocate next year when my son leaves the nest for college. But the Summer and Fall make it all worth it. Shovel on my friends. Spring is only 2 months away.
Posted By: MD521 Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
I'd rather sweat than shovel.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
be careful

shoveling snow is a noted cause of heart attacks
Posted By: Boise Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
Powered snow removal is the only way to go. I'll shovel a short sidewalk but that's my limit and even then I generally try the leaf blower first. Four wheeler with plow or the UTV with plow come out pretty quick at my place.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
Shoveling snow breaks boredom. It also helps keep one in shape. Use a regular square point shovel and save the back. Big size snow shovels get heavy, when the snow settles!
Posted By: las Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
8 inches on the deck overnight, still coming down. Or as my wife puts it "above the Dachshund". That I shovel, or rather, push off the edges. The snow that is. Snow blowers or plows be your friend, otherwise

Between two places, I have a half acre or so of driveway and parking lot to clear later. Snowblower. About 4-6 hours, depending on depth and density, including on and off loading the snow blower on the trailer and hitching up, putting away.

Used to hire a plow guy when we were in Kotzebue, but the guy started cheating - charging us for both places when he only cleared one - and that sometimes 2- 3 days for him to get to, inconveniencing our renters. Bounced him quick when we retired and moved home again, and bought the snow blower. Good exercise. I clear enough at home to get to the rentals, then come home and finish ours. And do a neighbor's drive as well.

I hate it. Should buy a truck plow. Or something for the 4-wheeler. More fun!
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20

Moved to WY last March, gave NH based snowblower to son. Never got around to buying a new one. Over the last week I've regretted that.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
That's why God invented Huskie's and Troy-Bilts.
Posted By: las Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
Oh yeah, Wunderground says this snowfall should die back about 3pm, pick up again 5-7, for a total accumulation of 2.3 inches. Did I mention 8 inches already?
Posted By: tzone Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
I'll be moving to where I don't have to shovel snow. You can keep this schit. There are tons of places to visit that are nice in summer and fall.
Posted By: tzone Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
Originally Posted by Boise
Powered snow removal is the only way to go. I'll shovel a short sidewalk but that's my limit and even then I generally try the leaf blower first. Four wheeler with plow or the UTV with plow come out pretty quick at my place.

How often do you have to shovel/plow/snowblow?
Posted By: jnyork Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Moved to WY last March, gave NH based snowblower to son. Never got around to buying a new one. Over the last week I've regretted that.

Welcome to Wyoming, Bob. grin
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
This is the third straight year that we’ve had very little snow. Not that I’m complaining.
When I lived at the foot of Pleasantville Mountain, I had a lot more driveway and a lot more snow. Too much to shovel, so I paid my buddy to keep me plowed out.
Over here in the valley now, lots less of snow and driveway, not to mention it’s paved, so it melts pretty quick if you get a little sun.
It’s amazing what 30 miles and a couple hundred feet less in elevation will do, weather wise.
7mm
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
A snow blower is one of the best items I've ever bought. After owning one, I wish I had bought one 30 years earlier and can't understand why I didn't. On a related note, I don't understand why a couple of local teenagers don't buy a snow blower and head house to house after a snowfall. A young and pseudo-ambitious person could make several thousand a winter for relatively easy work just going door to door. Heck, when I was a kid, we did do that with shovels. I don't think I've ever had anybody knock on my door offering to clear the snow for payment. Sad times.
Posted By: JOG Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I don't think I've ever had anybody knock on my door offering to clear the snow for payment. Sad times.

Worse than sad. I've got a 12-year old kid down the road with an advertising sign that lists his mobile number...
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
I spent about an hour this morning on 4wheeler with plow. I plow our gravel city street/lane for six of us. I had to start with edges in order to give enough room to move center snow out.
I am about maxed on snowbank height.
If we get more we may need a truck plow to push it back further.
I once asked my wife why we owned a pan that didn’t fit in dishwasher. I am about to the point with sidewalks that don’t fit a 4wheeler with plow.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
Simple little 5 foot blade up and down with the winch on my 700 Grizzly atv. If you've already got an atv probably a third the cost of a snow blower its a no brainer. Provided you already have the atv of course. I may not have gone looking for a plow but one came with my machine when I bought it used. Glad about that we've had a couple good snow years, I do my drive and a couple few neighbours and the cul de sac its actually fun and scores brownie points in the hood ta boot ...
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
A snow blower is one of the best items I've ever bought. After owning one, I wish I had bought one 30 years earlier and can't understand why I didn't. On a related note, I don't understand why a couple of local teenagers don't buy a snow blower and head house to house after a snowfall. A young and pseudo-ambitious person could make several thousand a winter for relatively easy work just going door to door. Heck, when I was a kid, we did do that with shovels. I don't think I've ever had anybody knock on my door offering to clear the snow for payment. Sad times.

I kind of grew up outside of suburbia, but not too far out in the country. More residential, but lots from 1 to 20 acres. A buddy of mine's father had an old Ford tractor with a blade on the rear and they'd put chains on it. When we were in our teens, whenever we'd have a good snow, he'd get on the tractor and go door to door plowing driveways. As a 15 or 16 year old, that dude would clean up in a couple of days with thousands of dollars in his pockets.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Shoveling snow - 02/12/20
7.5 western pro plow on the Silverado and a 12 pack... snow plowing at my house is fun....
Posted By: Tracks Re: Shoveling snow - 02/13/20
Too old to shovel snow, Next year going to electric start self propelled snow blower, which will assure I'll never see snow again. grin
Wish I had some way of knowing I should have done it before this winter.
Posted By: tzone Re: Shoveling snow - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by Tracks
Too old to shovel snow, Next year going to electric start self propelled snow blower, which will assure I'll never see snow again. grin
Wish I had some way of knowing I should have done it before this winter.

Most have the electric start now. Make sure you can get one that you can maneuver easy enough. Mine is getting heavier and harder to mover every year.
Posted By: Boise Re: Shoveling snow - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by tzone

How often do you have to shovel/plow/snowblow?

Every time it snows, I won't tolerate an ice covered walk or driveway. Used the 4 wheeler with plow yesterday and had the leaf blower out this morning doing the walkways. If we get more than a few inches I get out the UTV and do a mile of dirt road. How often was your question, on the average weekly is my quess.
Posted By: hanco Re: Shoveling snow - 02/13/20
Glad we don’t have to do that down here. As much as I hate the heat, I’d rather deal with it than have it so cold!
Posted By: aalf Re: Shoveling snow - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by Salty303
If you've already got an atv probably a third the cost of a snow blower its a no brainer. Provided you already have the atv of course. I may not have gone looking for a plow but one came with my machine when I bought it used. .

Cost me about a grand to outfit my ATV with a Warn set-up, 5" plow blade, winch, and brackets.
Posted By: grouseman Re: Shoveling snow - 02/13/20
Most snowblowers will have a bolted shear pin on one side, and a removable pin on the other so you can change from a locked axle driving both wheels to a more manoeuverable single wheel drive.
Posted By: logcutter Re: Shoveling snow - 02/13/20
Shoveling snow do suck,for sure..I used to do it for beer money when I was younger..Now for exercise..LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Huntz Re: Shoveling snow - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by aalf
If you've already got an atv probably a third the cost of a snow blower its a no brainer. Provided you already have the atv of course. I may not have gone looking for a plow but one came with my machine when I bought it used. .

Cost me about a grand to outfit my ATV with a Warn set-up, 5" plow blade, winch, and brackets.

You must have to make a lot of passes with a 5 inch blade. grin
Posted By: logcutter Re: Shoveling snow - 02/13/20
I use this now to plow our snow now and don't do roofs anymore...Still some shoveling to do but not much..

Posted By: aalf Re: Shoveling snow - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by aalf

You must have to make a lot of passes with a 5 inch blade. grin

Ooooops.....yeah, even a skiff is an all day affair.... tired
Posted By: 5spd Re: Shoveling snow - 02/13/20
Yup, best thing I did was buy a snowblower out here, then even better a Polaris ranger and snow plow attachment for it.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Shoveling snow - 02/13/20
Powered snow removal is the only way to go. .

Damn straight.. This does 99% of snow removal here:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image sharing

Posted By: sse Re: Shoveling snow - 03/04/20
Posted By: CEoW717 Re: Shoveling snow - 03/04/20
The best way to remove snow... pay someone.
Posted By: mart Re: Shoveling snow - 03/04/20
Originally Posted by KFWA
be careful

shoveling snow is a noted cause of heart attacks

Shoveling snow is best left to women. When was the last time you heard of a woman dying of a heart attack from shoveling snow? It must not affect them the same as it does men. grin
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Shoveling snow - 03/04/20
Timbermaster: Suggestion - I say move on down from the "extremes" up there "high in the Madison Range" to say Ennis!
I have only shovelled ONCE this winter and really did not need to do that one - Dillon area.
In full disclosure I did get stuck in a wind caused snowdrift one morning last month in our "drive" - heading out early for a gunshow!
The VarmintWife was not pleased having to get up early get dressed and come and tow me out. I was trying to get by in my high mileage (33 MPG!) two wheel drive Chevrolet Malibu on a snowy morn.
Most snow we have had on the ground this winter was 12" - and that did tie a 22 year long record here.
Again sell the view from high up and move on down into the Madison Valley.
Shoveling snow is a young mans game.
He-he.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire