Home
Idaho's trying. A bill just cleared the house committee to ban affirmative action in the state. Legislators are sick of seeing the obvious racial bias that's come out of it and they want to go back to hiring on qualification instead of skin color and sex. The SCOTUS ruled that states can ban it and a number of them have. The liberals are trying to get protection of queers included but that's a behavioral issue, not a genetic thing like race or sex.

BOISE — A panel of Idaho lawmakers passed a bill Wednesday banning affirmative action for state agencies, state contracting and public education.

The House State Affairs committee passed the bill from Blanchard Republican Rep. Heather Scott, sending it to the full House floor on a 12-3 party line vote after hearing several members of the public testify in opposition.

Scott said the bill would prevent discrimination by banning schools, state and local governments from giving discriminatory or preferential treatment to potential employees based on their race, sex, ethnicity or national origin.

She recounted an incident when she applied for a job and was told she’d probably be hired because they were hoping to hire several women. The comment caused her to withdraw her consideration.

“I wanted to be hired on my merits and the fact that I was a hard worker. This gentleman just saw me as a woman, and he needed to get five of them to fill the position,” said Scott, who is white. “I believe it’s deeply offensive to hire someone or not hire someone based on their race, sex, ethnicity and national origin... Basically we just need to treat everybody equal and this language will do that.”

The committee room was packed, with all but one of the people who testified speaking in opposition to the bill.

Kathy Griesmyer, policy director for the ACLU of Idaho, said Scott’s bill misrepresents how affirmative action programs work. Such programs don’t grant preferences or create quotas, don’t allow race or gender to be the only criteria used for hiring, and they allow the programs to exist only as long as necessary to remedy existing imbalances in the work environment.

Instead, affirmative action programs try to “make sure that those barriers to equal access to education and employment are removed so that all may flourish,” she said.

Fortune 500 companies and major Idaho employers like Micron, Simplot, Albertsons, Boise Cascade and Idaho Power have adopted affirmative action policies, Griesmyer noted.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that affirmative action bans are legal and nine states — Texas, Arizona, California, Oklahoma, Michigan, Nebraska, Washington, New Hampshire and Florida — have enacted such bans, though Texas’ ban was later reversed after a legal challenge.

Democratic Reps. John Gannon and Brooke Green, both of Boise, repeatedly attempted to question Scott about why the bill wouldn’t also ban discrimination or preferential treatment of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or queer citizens. Those questions were shut down by committee Chairman Rep. Steven Harris, a Republican from Meridian. Harris said the questions weren’t appropriate because they didn’t address the bill.

Groups like Add The Words have fought in Idaho for more than a decade to add protections for LGBTQ residents to Idaho’s existing anti-discrimination laws, but so far the Legislature has rejected those efforts.

Green said she would continue to fight to expand discrimination protections to LGBTQ residents.

“Today we saw hypocracy on full display,” Green said.
Some years ago, I worked for a large trucking company. We had 6 local drivers. One retired and the boss was interviewing for a replacement. The company wanted him to hire a black to meet racial quotas but there were none available and we certainly didn't have any applications from any. At the time, the black population here was in the single digits. They seriously considered bringing in a black driver from Salt Lake while we had some very qualified local applicants to choose from. They finally dropped the idea but it was racism at it's finest.
Anyone remember John Lachuck? He wrote for Guns and Ammo for years and edited Elmer Kieth's stuff so it could be printed. Anyway a job came open in another field. He took a test and got the highest score. He didn't get the job so he asked someone he knew about it. They told him, "John, you didn't have a chance. One of the applicants was a black woman."
I took the test for the Post Office in about 1980, when I called for interview appointment the guy told me not to even bother, I needed to be a minority female to even be considered.
I used to working for a vending company. We had vending machines in all the big mills and industrial business in most of the state. I had a driver retire and the best candidate to fill his job turned out to be a woman. I got congratulated all around for hiring a woman and it was an insult. I hired the best candidate, not genitalia.

P
Needs to be done away with all over.
Gee, you mean they are going to do away with state sponsored discrimination, based on skin color.

I think I remember Martin Luther King talking about how we should be judged by our character, not our skin color.
Affirmative action is one of the biggest handjobs ever given to us by Washington, DC.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Some years ago, I worked for a large trucking company. We had 6 local drivers. One retired and the boss was interviewing for a replacement. The company wanted him to hire a black to meet racial quotas but there were none available and we certainly didn't have any applications from any. At the time, the black population here was in the single digits. They seriously considered bringing in a black driver from Salt Lake while we had some very qualified local applicants to choose from. They finally dropped the idea but it was racism at it's finest.

Believing themselves wise, they became as fools.
Originally Posted by jnyork
I took the test for the Post Office in about 1980, when I called for interview appointment the guy told me not to even bother, I needed to be a minority female to even be considered.

Just talked to a couple friends 2 days ago about this. I haven't seen a white anglo person in a post office uniform in years around here. My mail delivery person doesn't even speak English.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Kathy Griesmyer, policy director for the ACLU of Idaho, said Scott’s bill misrepresents how affirmative action programs work. Such programs don’t grant preferences or create quotas, don’t allow race or gender to be the only criteria used for hiring, and they allow the programs to exist only as long as necessary to remedy existing imbalances in the work environment.

That is disingenuous to put it mildly. It assumes that any imbalances are due to discrimination, completely ignoring differences in qualifications among groups. The way affirmative action or diversity policies work in actuality is to force results, with lip service paid to merit. It was sold as a means to open doors previously closed, but it turned into an abomination of reverse discrimination.

Include me on the list. Affirmative action cost me at least a million over my career and into retirement.

Paul
Originally Posted by hanco
Needs to be done away with all over.

It's as simple and obvious as that, yet people can't see it.
Around her, I AM THE MINORITY.
California has banned affirmative action? What am I missing there?
Originally Posted by RufusG
California has banned affirmative action? What am I missing there?

I think they banned it years ago based on a voter approved ballot initiative. It's easier to get issues on the ballot via petition in California than in most states. I'm not sure I feel they banned it totally or just for university admissions. One effect was a lot more Asians, and fewer blacks, got admitted.
I ran the maintenance shop for a small trucking company in California about 40 years ago. The owner of the place was firmly committed to hiring female drivers. His take on things was pretty basic- - - -"They're sitting on what most of the men drivers are looking for!!
Jerry
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Around her, I AM THE MINORITY.

A woman's vote counts double.
Rock Chuck: I suffered under a governmental entity that was hell bent on forcing "affirmative action" onto every employee of said entity.
It resulted in horrific losses in efficiency and monies.
For 29 years I watched "affirmative action" completely destroy the morale and the will to do a "great job", of literally thousands of employees of that entity.
The demonrats have been pushing "affirmative action" for just over half a century now and it has alienated more people and done more harm than anything it may have aided!
We (the persons who suffered under the horrific and self destructing affirmative action policies!) simply referred to this horror as "rig a jig a job"!
Sad.
Indeed the United States of America would be way better off without this horror!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
The old insult 'token nygger ' was all but forgotten until AA dragged it out again
Originally Posted by jnyork

About the same time, fresh out of the USMC, I applied for a job at Shell Production. Servicing gas pipe lines, dealing with telemetry and such, basically something a former USMC radar tech could handle. They only wanted women. They would teach women what a wrench and a screwdriver is, they did not want men at all. I know this because I applied and my buds girl friend that wasn't technical got a job and was trained from ground zero.

Irritates me to this day. I think I know how many blacks feel when they perceive that they have been discriminated against.
A friend had a black women working for her at a big tech company. She had to fire the women because she didn’t perform well. The black women sued the company claiming racial discrimination. The company settled, but my friend was angry and swore she would never hire a black again.
Affirmative action put more than a few into the ATC game in lieu of more highly qualified individuals. Think about that next time you fly.
Affirmative Action ...

Early 80, Minnesota, had a customer: Upjohn Pharmaceuticals Upper Midwest Distribution Center..

They had a black guy come in and apply for a job... they weren't hiring in the Distribution Dept...They had automated it on their own, going from 50 down to 15 employees....the 35 that had left, had all retired over time... of the 15 that were left, the lowest seniority was a guy who had been there 15 years...They told the black guy, that they didn't need anyone..

So our black friend went down and filed a complaint with the State of MN for discrimination, and then with the US Dept of Labor...
both government entities came in, to inspect the place.... no minorities, no women.. they officially shut down Upjohn's Distribution Center, until they came into Affirmative Action Standards...

so an add was thrown in the paper, and they started having applicants immediately because of the high pay they were offering and the economy sucked in the Twin Cities at the time....of course they were only interviewing minorities....no white folks..

by Friday their ideal candidate walked thru the Door... Female, Hispanic last name... part Black, part Indian, part Asian, and who knows what else... the dept was all guys, and she also had big knockers...so she got the job...so the Feds and State let them re open the Distrib Center...

Girls shows up Monday, goes home sick on Tuesday at noon, calls in sick the rest of the week... repeated next week...
Supervisor calls home office over in Michigan.. they tell him that he can't fire the girl, regardless if she doesn't show up for work.
They just count her present every day and give her a full weeks paycheck weekly.... so she quit coming at all, except to pick up a check on every other Friday....

State and Feds come in to review their Affirmative Action update in a month or so...

Do you have any Hispanics? YUP, her..
Do you have any Indians or Native Americans... Yup, her.
Do you have any Afro Americans... YUP, her..
Do you have any Asians? YUP, her..

Do you have any other minorities? YUP, her...
The State and Feds never batted an eye lid, over their answers...and came in annually to go over the same thing...

When I no longer covered Upjohn's Distribution Center, 3 years later due to a job change... Same chick came in and got a check every other Friday, for work she never showed up for.. got an annual bonus, got paid vacation checks on top of pay checks, pay raises etc...

Upjohn paid this all, just for Affirmative Action, to make the State of MN and the Feds happy.. so they could keep a Distribution Center open....

Liberalism.....$40K a year or more just to keep the State and Feds off their backs at just one location....

Worked out great for the bimbo....
by affirmative action laws, the NFL should be required to hire 85% of the players as non minority whites.....same for the NBA
I submitted an application with the US dept of Ag. as a pilot. Everybody said not to bother, at that time the USDA had a policy of hiring only minorities. I did anyway just to see what would happen. Got an interview, fully and completely over the top qualified. Never got a return call. The person they hired had to be trained and.....oh never mind, you know the rest.
© 24hourcampfire