Home
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
A friend of my son who hunts with us just informed me he was at the ER diagnosed with Bell's palsy..He doesn't seem too worried even though he's 42 however jokingly he said he might need a bib for this evenings supper..

Just wondered if you may have had an episode and how was the outcome?
Posted By: Rugies Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
Get him checked for Lyme disease. Thats a common Lyme symptom. That is how I found out I had it. Antibiotics for a month, not to bad , but if it goes undiagnosed he can have alot worse symptoms.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20

My mom had it not long after having a stroke and carotid artery surgery. She was told it was a nerve issue and was normally temporary and would go away soon on it's own which it did shortly after. At first we were worried that she had had another stroke.
Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
My thirty five year old son had an episode last year. They told him not to worry about it as it was temporary and would go away on it own- which it did after a week and half or two weeks. They mentioned the connection to Lyme as well. He’s been fine ever since.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
Wondering if he’s been or being prescribed gabapentin for another issue?
Posted By: KFWA Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
I got it in my mid 20's when I ignored a chronic earache. The nerve that controls half your face crosses over your ear canal.

At church one morning and noticed I was having trouble singing the words correctly like I was drinking. By that night I couldn't close my left eye or the left side of my mouth couldn't raise my left eyebrow

Doc told me a small number of people never fully recover. Gave me steroids and told me to wear an eye patch - in about a month I was back to normal

I remember having dinner with my wife one night shortly after, wearing my eye patch, trying to chew food and it fell out of my mouth. The look on her face was "I didn't sign up for this"
Posted By: joken2 Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20

Similar to true stroke victims though one does need to be careful of choking on food unaware of still in the mouth on the affected side.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by KFWA
Gave me steroids and told me to wear an eye patch

This is exactly what they did for him & said it would most likely be history in a week..
yea probably a week to get functionality but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a bit longer to get full strength back.

no side effects other than the steroids made me eat like a horse
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
A buddy of mine got it in college. Same deal, 'roids and time fixed it. Funny thing was he also ate like a horse and had terrific results at the gym. I ended up wanting some Bell's Palsy for myself.
pirate jokes got old quick
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
My father had an episode with it, and didn't get it taken care of quickly, it took him a LONG time to recover. It happened when he was on an out-of-state fishing trip, and he dawdled on getting to the doctor.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by slumlord

Why, what are you driving at? Just curious.
Posted By: Elkhunter3006 Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
I had it back in 1986 or so. Woke up with the right side of my face dead. Straight down the midline.

Seems like I was on a steroid, probably Prednisone, for about a week.

Symptoms went away and never came back.

My daughter whos about 7 at the time thought it was hilarious.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by slumlord

Why, what are you driving at? Just curious.
it does wonky stuff to nerves, sometimes it helps wonky stuff for nerves

Just my own data interests

I will add, for me, a six pack and 800 mgs of gabapentin is like a twelve 12 pack without gabapentin

Just throwin that out there i you was to stumble across some gabbas in grandma’s medicine drawer laugh

Posted By: jorgeI Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
I had it. it :hit" when I was in the stack getting ready to come aboard. Thought I was having a stroke! Didn't even ground me. IT is an inflammation of the nerves ( I think eight of them) that go through a hole in your jaw and either the hole or the nerves get inflamed. There is no medicine for it and it does go away.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
A guy I worked for had Bell's Palsy. He was a fairly young guy and over it in a month or two.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
Had it in my late teens, the left side of my face literally dropped for a week or two and then eventually back to normal 100%.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Bell's palsy - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I had it. it :hit" when I was in the stack getting ready to come aboard. Thought I was having a stroke! Didn't even ground me. IT is an inflammation of the nerves ( I think eight of them) that go through a hole in your jaw and either the hole or the nerves get inflamed. There is no medicine for it and it does go away.

Pucker factor x10 !
© 24hourcampfire