Home
Posted By: johnw Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
Looking ahead at retirement, and I wanna be fairly mobile and able to move with interests and seasons. I have never owned a camping trailer and have only slept in them on rare occasion, so my knowledge is limited. Excuse me for dumb-ass questions

Looking at campgrounds here and there, they are all pricey at nightly rates. Do most offer a monthly rate at a discount?

Has anyone found that purchasing property to stay in a camper works out financially? What about zoning and utility access?
It sounds like you're contemplating being a "snowbird"- - - - -north in the summer and south when the snow flies. What part of the country will be "home base"? Do you intend to retain a permanent residence, or become a "full-timer"? There's a definite learning curve to hauling your house around behind you- - - - -backing, getting the rig leveled up in a campground so you don't end up with a headache after sleeping a few hours, and the refrigerator quits working because it's sensitive to tilt. Then there's routine maintenance on tires and wheel bearings, hooking up water and sewage lines properly, learning to pack cabinets so they don't spill during transport, and a few dozen other things you'll haver to learn along the way. No matter how big a rig you choose to tow, it's going to feel cramped compared to even a moderate sized apartment, let alone a house. A truck with enough towing capacity to handle a large trailer will get pretty lousy fuel economy, even when being run bobtailed with the trailer parked. Managing a load-equalizing hitch, trailer brakes, and sway controls is an acquired skill, but one that's necessary to travel safely. Then there's the matter of managing stopping distance and crosswind driving.

Campgrounds- - - - -most state and national parks have campgrounds with good to excellent facilities, and they're usually more reasonably priced than privately owned camps. Most public campgrounds have a maximum number of days you can stay without moving on so someone else can have your spot. A lot of privately run sites have weekly or monthly rates as well as daily fees.

I've been towing trailers of some sort or another, campers, utility trailers, race car haulers, and 18 wheelers, since the mid-1960's. I'm down to 4 utility trailers and one small motorhome at the moment. Have fun!
Jerry
No idea of your resources or plans.

But, many big campgrounds have cabins or trailers
you can rent. Off season monthly rates are quite affordable.

Or, some have permanent setups that are privately owned.
I looked at one at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach. For the cost
of a new (rapidly depreciating) trailer, I could have bought
a decent cottage on a rented lot. Sure, you would have to pay
rent, but, you can also rent it out when you aren't using it.
Bad deal for me, 600 miles away and still working.

Just some thoughts.
Retired military?
Gov't

Corps of engineers, maybe BLM too have some pretty significant deals for certain people. (So I have heard)
Poke around a bit. Someone will know more
Posted By: K1500 Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
I’m sure many private campgrounds do monthly rentals. Lots of federal and state campgrounds have limits. Usually 14 days.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Retired military?
Gov't

Corps of engineers, maybe BLM too have some pretty significant deals for certain people. (So I have heard)
Poke around a bit. Someone will know more

Yup. Get an "America the Beautiful" pass, available to everyone. 1/2 price camping in Corps of Engineers, Forest Service, and BLM campgrounds. Free "dispersed" camping on BLM land and most Forest Service too, no pass necessary.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
There are many places in the west where you can camp on public land for free. You don’t need to stay in campgrounds.
Posted By: 1bigdude Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
Most privately owned camp grounds have seasonal rates but bear in mind northern states camp grounds open in May and close in October or November. Southern states far enough south are truly year round.
I own property with a camper on it that I keep there 365 days a year used as a cabin. If you go that route check into destination campers, they are built with the intention of long stays that is what I have. Much more comfortable than smaller normally towed campers yet can still be towed if need be. At least in Pa. If you keep a plate on it you pay no school taxes on it like a mobile home.
Posted By: las Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
Originally Posted by BeanMan
There are many places in the west where you can camp on public land for free. You don’t need to stay in campgrounds.

This. Also check out KOA
Posted By: JeffA Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
Originally Posted by johnw
Looking ahead at retirement, and I wanna be fairly mobile and able to move with interests and seasons. I have never owned a camping trailer and have only slept in them on rare occasion, so my knowledge is limited. Excuse me for dumb-ass questions

Buy a inexpensive camper, do a few weekend camping test runs before you dwell on the subject much longer and be sure you find living in a small space works for you.

Looking at campgrounds here and there, they are all pricey at nightly rates. Do most offer a monthly rate at a discount?

Most all have a discounted rate for extended stays. There is a broad range, the sky's the limit, It's all dependent on location and amenities offered. Rates can go from free to thousands of dollars a month.

Monthly dwellers in RV parks can be "clickie" groups. It's either Northern people escaping the winter months in southern locations or vice versa, Southern types heading to cooler mountainous regions for the summer months.
Groups that get along together will congregate in a RV park and develop a social environment where they share covered dish meals multiple times a week and participate in group activities and outings. Most RV parks will have a club house or pavilion or the like to accommodate these groups and their activities. If that's your thing, just bounce around from RV park to RV park until you find a group that suits you.

Has anyone found that purchasing property to stay in a camper works out financially? What about zoning and utility access?

I've seen property for sale that was limited to "camping only", it's rare and typically due to environmental uniqueness such as being water front or low and wet and not suitable for septic systems and no community sewer options available. Seldom will you find such property where local code will allow a electrical hook-up to be installed for RV use.

Most normal real estate that is broken down into small lots will have codes that often restrict extended use of RV's. The exception is what is commonly referred to as mobile home parks and even then there may be restrictions based on size that are designed to prohibit RV use.

Think about what you are asking there, why have a portable house on a permanent lot?
Posted By: Terryk Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
I bought a nicer new camper. It is small but very roomy, so that is not an issue. It is easy to tow and park. I am outdoors all the time, and I really just don't like camping. Tons of camping in my area but it still seems more like work than a vacation. I think a hotel is much better. I would rent or buy a newer used model.
State camps sites are generally very nice, and they are about 35 bucks a night. I think they have a 10 day limit, or some finite time.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20

Not only monthly, but 'seasonal' rates are becoming even more common and available.. You can save a bundle on those. Which is a good thing because that's what we may be doing when the wife retires..

There's a guy about 40+ miles SSE of me that looks to own about 2-3 acres, has a small shed on it and a concrete pad. Parks his camper there for the summer and lives there.. It's out in the country and on a very scenic road - and he keeps it all mowed and nicely kept. I'd do something like that in a heartbeat - but you're right about finding an area that allows that type of situation..

What you need to do is this: FIRST - find the camper (and style - 5th wheel, TT, slide-in, ) that fits your needs. THEN obtain the proper truck to pull it.. Too many have a truck and then, when they find the camper they like, realize that the truck they have can't pull it - legally.. When it comes to campers - you cannot have too much truck. We're on our sixth camper - and we've got about 25 years experience with 'em..
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
Are you single or married? Do you have pets that will travel with you? Personally, I have chosen to stay in full service campgrounds. Sewer, water and power are all necessities for my wife so we are Good Sams members and KOA members which gives us a wide variety of choices at slightly discounted rates.
Posted By: shaman Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20

We have gobs of those seasonal campgrounds up the Ohio River from Cincinnati. It's a very popular option.

Down by me, in the more rural parts, we have a lot of small plots with nothing but pads and utility poles. Folks come in a few times a year for camping and hunting and leave them the rest of the year. Around us, property taxes are negligible. A lot of these pads have city water and electrical, though costlier than in-town, it's still reasonable.
Posted By: RNF Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
We are members of Good Sam's Club it will get you a 10% discount at lots of RV parks and all so 5 cents a gallon off of fuel at Pilot Flying J locations.

https://www.goodsam.com/club/
Posted By: MM879 Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20

I've had RV's for the last 30 years. The most important aspect is the activity. If you use the RV for an activity you like it won't matter about costs. I offroad motorcycle and I look for the nicest places with the best features pool, hot tub, dam the prices. The mobile part is what I try to control. I don't travel in high traffic times. No Friday or Sunday travel. You need to remember you are pulling a small house down the road.
Posted By: kingston Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
Originally Posted by MM879
You need to remember you are pulling a small house down the road.

I’ve always thought of them as large porta-potties.
Whatever you get, get it large enough to have tandem axles. They pull easier and they're safer. They also smooth out the bumps in the road so you don't shake things inside apart as much.
If you want it small, there are tandems on the market that are in the 3500lb range and can be pulled with a smaller rig like a crossover SUV or mid sized pickup..
Posted By: johnw Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
I don't believe that renting a trailer to try it out would work, for me. I'm a very large guy, and beds and toilets are gonna have to fit me.

We recently spent 4 dyas/nights in Orange Beach, AL, and the first 2 nights in a motel were great.Then my wife found what we thought was a great deal on a nice resort place. Got there and it was beautiful. Piano player singing 70s tunes in a good voice. Beautiful property, for a behemoth structure.
Dinky little toilet that I couldn't use in an emergency. 5AM both mornings found me heading down to the lobby to use their public toilets that were elevated and elongated.

My old welding partner did it right. He had a 5th wheel with a custom bed, and a custom toilet and shower installed before he pulled it off the lot. His was the trailer that I've spent more time in than any other. And my wife and I could live like that.

Wife and I have tent camped all over the country, and we know how to get comfortable. 10 weeks living out of the back of a Chevy Suburban was common to us in the years that my work was seasonal and I had summers off to play.
Maybe most importantly is that we are both comfortable with the other, and also know how to offer each other "space" in limited surroundings.

I will either maintain my present home, in Illinois or possibly find another in NE Iowa, or SW Wisconsin. The present home has the advantage of being paid off, with low taxes.

Another attractive area to buy a place is near LBL in TN/KY. The places listed online that I think I can afford don't seem encouraging. But I well remember my dad's agony over having a mortgage on a $14,000 dollar home, with a $108 monthly payment.
But I don't intend to live forever, and recognize that I am entering the endgame scenario.

Appreciate all replies and advice. Thanks...
FYI. South Dakota is the cheapest place to have residency if you’re be mobile . Source:rich,white dude who bought my camper a couple years ago.

P.s. I don’t think he had any sumac or had pop smoke’s new album.
Originally Posted by kingston

Ha, there's some truth to that. With a Wife and 2 daughters, the bathroom is an important feature! Seems like we've always had a camper. Our current 5th wheel is a 28' Coachman bunkhouse with a great layout.

OP, one thing to consider is that some campgrounds have limits on the size of RV they will allow. Do some research on where you plan to travel and make sure your RV choice makes sense. It's easy to over-buy in the RV world. Also, do your research on roads prior to leaving on a trip. Many roads have height and/or length restrictions you'll want to be aware of.
Posted By: aalf Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
FYI. South Dakota is the cheapest place to have residency if you’re be mobile . Source:rich,white dude who bought my camper a couple years ago.

Musta had a Super though......
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20

As stated......the western States have millions of acres of public land...

Whether it be US Forest or BLM......dispersed/dry camping is free....find a spot and enjoy

As in my pic below.....a spot like this is rather easy to find......set up your trailer and enjoy the solitude

You may want some sort of off road vehicle to fully enjoy.....thats another subject

Yes also on the tandem axle trailer.....pulls better......safer.....Toy haulers are big in the west also..another thought

https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/camping

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by aalf

Musta had a Super though......

455 Super
We've been thinks my about buying a 23'-28' range bumper pull. Something with maybe 1 slide but still light enough to tow behind my 1/2 ton. We aren't sure if we'd enjoy owning one or if it will just be a pain to deal with so we are going to rent one a few times this spring. Many people will rent theirs for about $100 a day. We will try before we buy.

Bb
Posted By: rost495 Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
All I can add is price the stays where you are going to use it... could rent small house/cabins in AK for what it cost me to have an RV spot. I finally found a place to work it out though friends.

But if I had to pay the going monthly rate for an RV spot I could have rented a small house, with washer/dryer etc.... and had money left over. Rather than a spot where I had to provide my own RV and pay for the spot.

As to the bathrooms etc.. thats all dependant on age and size. I've never had an issue but we are only 55 currently.

If I had the cash I'd be looking at all the models. Ask about what modifications or layouts possible, even to the point possibly of having one built to your specs. And make important whats important to you.

we just replaced the floor in the slide out on our inlaws trailer. While we had it gutted their eyes flew open and said we could put loose big recliners there instead of the couch BS table etc... so now they have what works for them without buying a new trailer. But had they thought ahead they could have bought what they wanted.

Obviously 2 axles or more... we have single axle due to wifes smaller vehicle and we just don't need a big trailer here anymore. But had I known she was going to buy a truck while I was gone.... I WISH I had 2 axles but she doesn't want to trade it either... loves what she has so it is what it is.

Put the best rated tires on it you can get....

Slow is your friend while pulling.
Posted By: ro1459 Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
I've been using TT's for over 30 years and what everyone is dancing around is...camping in a TT is not inexpensive. You mentioned that you may need a 5th wheeler. That will require a 3500/350 series truck (Min) and maybe duel wheels. The cost of actual camping days is minimal compared to initial cost to get started. If purchasing the right truck and "camper" is not a problem, the cost to camp will be of little concern. That said, we love it and camp 10 to 12 weeks a year. We look forward to the camping season each year and if you decide to get into camper camping we hope you will as well. Good luck.
I'm a very large guy, and beds and toilets are gonna have to fit me.
Many makers of campers buy prefab bathroom units. I've encountered 1 design in particular in 3 different brands owned by family members and friends. It's horrible. The toilet sits facing the center line of the camper. To get the drain inside the trailer frame, they moved the toilet forward 6" and it's too close to the wall. You can barely stand up because you can't lean forward to get your balance. You even have to work at keeping your balance to stand in front of it to pee.
Most RV bathrooms aren't made for big people but there are some out there that are. Find one that fits even if you don't like the camper. Then start researching floor plans and look for that particular bathroom unit.
get a comfort height porcelain toilet every TT maker offers them as an upgrade, I go 265# 6'4" and can crap up a storm just like home.
oh yes do not leave your black water tank valve open when using a site with sewage hookup WAIT UNTIL TANK IS FULL TO EMPTY you will thank me for that bit of advice.
Originally Posted by Hectortwsp
oh yes do not leave your black water tank valve open when using a site with sewage hookup WAIT UNTIL TANK IS FULL TO EMPTY you will thank me for that bit of advice.

A friend of mine learned that the hard way. All the liquids drain out and leave the solids to set up hard. He had to fill it with water and drive about 50 miles to shake it all loose.
Don't have much time in TTs, but listen carefully to the suggestions for a tandem-axle trailer and the other towing-related bits. Towing things that heavy/large is something I do have much experience with and you can not take it lightly.

As far as "no such thing as too much tow vehicle", that is about right. As a young, single man I would tow at or beyond the towing book limit. As a married man with children, no way would I exceed book limits. Max for me is 75% of towing limit if family is on board.

We are very happy with My Artic Fox pull trailer it is a 27T that I tow with a 2008 Tundra, with a 10,000 lbs tow capacity. Trailer

Weights 7200 lbs empty so they say. Probably 8500 lbs loaded. Also when you buy the Truck be sure you get a lower rear axle

ratio, Mine is 4:30 to 1, but that is ok as the Transmission has 2 overdrive gears. 6th is not used with trailer hooked up. Get a big enough

engine mine has 389 HP. On black water tanks I put dish soap packet in tank 2 or 3 hours before I go to dump site. I also add about 5 gallons

of water from my shower nozzle when I add my dish soap packet. My trailer also has a black tank flush system, after you drain it you close the drain valve

hook a hose up to the flush system I let it fill the tank about half way and open the drain valve, it does a good job. turn hoes off and disconnect. I might add Tire

pressure is very important, I have only lost one tire and I know it was because of low pressure. For Christmas my son bought me a automatic tire inflater

off the Matco Truck about a $100.00 . Just set the dial and fill.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
Good info here.

There are some clubs you can join to mitigate the camping fees. Thousand trails comes to mind.

If you are planning to live in the trailer a good portion of time you will need a good one, as the cheap ones will not work out well. They absorb moisture and will not last.
This is not a particularly cheap lifestyle IMHO. But many people live it.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
I've had trailers since 1992.
I wouldn't full time in a 1/2 ton truck. They don't come stock with 10 ply tires and all the running gear is
lightweight.
Trailer manufacturers lie about the weight of their trailers. I don't believe they really weigh their trailers, at least not on certified scales.
Don't buy a lite or Super Lite.
All weather trailers are way better than standard trailers but cost more and weigh more.
A toy hauler will allow way longer boondocking with with 100 gals. of freshwater and an on board generator but lack storage space of standard trailers.
If you intend to snowbird at RV parks you will probably have to reserve way in advance. A friend of mine was on the road while his home was being built. They had a hard time finding RV parks to stay in.
Bass Pro Cabelas will allow overnight paring if you park around back. The BP in Colorado Springs has marked parking spots for RVs. on the east end of the store.
2 6v batteries are superior to 1 12v.
Keep 2 spare tires on hand.
Pay attention to the rating on your tires. Many times they are barely equal to the weight capacity of the trailer. I upgraded to D load range to C.
Don't haul a full load of water. In my trailer it would add 835 lbs. and you lose cargo capacity doing it.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
It sounds like you're contemplating being a "snowbird"- - - - -north in the summer and south when the snow flies. What part of the country will be "home base"? Do you intend to retain a permanent residence, or become a "full-timer"? There's a definite learning curve to hauling your house around behind you- - - - -backing, getting the rig leveled up in a campground so you don't end up with a headache after sleeping a few hours, and the refrigerator quits working because it's sensitive to tilt. Then there's routine maintenance on tires and wheel bearings, hooking up water and sewage lines properly, learning to pack cabinets so they don't spill during transport, and a few dozen other things you'll haver to learn along the way. No matter how big a rig you choose to tow, it's going to feel cramped compared to even a moderate sized apartment, let alone a house. A truck with enough towing capacity to handle a large trailer will get pretty lousy fuel economy, even when being run bobtailed with the trailer parked. Managing a load-equalizing hitch, trailer brakes, and sway controls is an acquired skill, but one that's necessary to travel safely. Then there's the matter of managing stopping distance and crosswind driving.

Campgrounds- - - - -most state and national parks have campgrounds with good to excellent facilities, and they're usually more reasonably priced than privately owned camps. Most public campgrounds have a maximum number of days you can stay without moving on so someone else can have your spot. A lot of privately run sites have weekly or monthly rates as well as daily fees.

I've been towing trailers of some sort or another, campers, utility trailers, race car haulers, and 18 wheelers, since the mid-1960's. I'm down to 4 utility trailers and one small motorhome at the moment. Have fun!
Jerry

Jerry, you mention a small motor home. What is your read on it as far as size, engine, maintenance, convenience, any thing that you can lend and advise?

Reason that I ask is I’ve recently stumbled across a 24’ Winnebago Navion Model, 2006 year model, Mercedes diesel, propane generator, etc. with 11000 miles on it. It needs a few latches replaced, small stuff, has new Michelin tires all around (the original ones had cracks from sitting) and has one slide out.

Asking price is 34k$ obo.

Much appreciate your (and any others, too) thoughts on small motor homes.
Thanks
Posted By: Redneck Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
FYI. South Dakota is the cheapest place to have residency if you’re be mobile .
Exactly what we're planning to do..

All sorts of good advice above... Make notes. smile
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20

My wife calls them, and motor homes, road toasters.

Geno
johnw,

be aware, many of the smaller RV type parks that are offering lower rates for monthly or seasonal, or even yearly, "camping" are being taken over by some rather seedy folks.

I've seen it everywhere from AK and WA to CA and AZ. Sometimes not the whole park, but the affordability aspect brings in some undesirables, and their grubby kids, dogs, cats, bicycles, druggie friends.

Be aware.

Geno

PS some of that knowledge I mentioned is first hand..............trailer living is not all it's cracked up to be at times.
The only advantage I've found to traveling with a travel trailer/RV is the ability to stay in places where there aren't any motels/hotels. Places like way back in the National Forests, National Parks, BLM land, etc.. Otherwise, by the time you figure in the cost of the trailer/RV, truck to pull it, and the cost to stay in campgrounds, you can pretty much stay in a very nice hotel for less.
I read an article about a couple who sold out and went RVing full time with a huge motor home. They did have a home base, though. They built a metal shop with doors on both ends for a drive-through. They built a platform that covered most of the shop that was the height of the MH floor. They set it up as a large livingroom, then they added a couple bedrooms and a bath. They'd pull in and run out a ramp from the MH to the platform. They used the MH kitchen, bedroom, and main bathroom so they never had to load or unload anything. When it was time to hit the road, they'd just drive out and down the road.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20

Skip the camper and stay in a hotel. You are hundreds of dollars ahead. I hate ours and it's about to cause a divorce. Drive right on by that camper sales place and do not turn in. In fact, give them the finger on the way by and keep on driving.

kwg
I'll take a camper any day over a hotel, more expensive or not. I hate hotels. I like my own space even if it has wheels under it. I also get sick of restaurant food.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
New at this as well, having purchased a trailer last spring. Cookie loves it, and I'd still be happy with a tent as things are less of a hassle. We do mostly bush whacking which is dirt cheap (free) here in the west. Commercial camp sites are nice with all the facilities and hookups, but the prices damn near reach motel rates.

Our present issue is minimal battery life. Have two 12-volts, and with the unit sitting unoccupied and all shut off, they discharge in about 3 days. Even with the battery disconnect there are hardwired implements like smoke and CO detectors that are a constant drain. Need to take a day with someone that knows electricity and see if we can find the bleed or determine if we just have crappy batteries. Planning on switching over to two 6-volts in series, and then eventually going to lithium units, but that is near co-signer stuff. .

Back to the OP: A generator can be another significant expense and a little more labor as well.

We do have a snow bird friend that lives in his trailer and has things pretty well figured out. Lots of solar panels and the ability to run TV's, computers, etc via DC power. He's run down free sites on both ends and will at times sign up and get free sites plus services by becoming a camp ground host in remote areas. Picks up a little pocket change on those gigs.
Originally Posted by 1minute
New at this as well, having purchased a trailer last spring. Cookie loves it, and I'd still be happy with a tent as thing are less of a hassle. We do mostly bush whacking which is dirt cheap (free) here in the west. Commercial camp sites are nice with all the facilities and hookups, but the prices damn near reach motel rates.

Our present issue is minimal battery life. Have two 12-volts, and with the unit sitting unoccupied and all turned off, they discharge in about 3 days. Even with the batter disconnect there are hardwired implements like smoke and CO detectors that are a constant drain. Need to take a day with someone that knows the trade and see if we can find the bleed or determine if we just have crappy batteries. Planning on switching over to two 6-volts in series, and then eventually going to lithium units.

Back to the OP: A generator can be another significant expense as well.

1minute,

have you tired one of those solar battery maintainers?

I lived in an RV 8 months a year for 8 years or so until I retired in 2107. It kept enough of a charge on my motorhome battery it would start right up, Still using it to keep the tractor battery "topped up".

Geno
I use 2 6v golf cart batteries. They'll last far longer than 12v's. We had to replace our fridge last year. The new one has all kinds of electronic crap on it and uses far more power. The batteries used to last a week or more. Now it's more like 5 days, less if my wife runs the fan in the range hood. Fans pull a lot of power but the one in the bathroom is essential.
Also, on the power source topic:

I bought a small (1600w) power inverter generator at Northern tool for this type of use. Its their brand, Iron Horse I believe. It runs hours on a single gallon of fuel. Replace the o.e. Pull rope and you have a good ,reliable power source. Its about 40 lbs. just make a power cord that marries up between the main camper plug and the big plug on the gen.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
Valsdad and Rock Chuck:

Appreciate the responses.

Purchased a small 50 watt panel last Christmas and plugged it into a controller. On bluebird days it can keep the charge up to snuff. On cloudy or overcast days, no, and I have to plug it in after just two to three days to avoid a complete drain. . Presently our charge assessment is based on some idiot lights where one presses a button and gets a full, 2/3, 1/3, empty reading. When I get through the warranty period I'll bypass or pull that system and just wire in digital voltmeter somewhere.

Do have a 3000 watt Honda generator and fire that up if we want to do TV, microwave, air conditioning etc We will likely get five or six 100 watt panels in the future. Cookie is very good at conserving power, making minimal use of the furnace, lights, water pump etc, but we feel we should be able to go two or three days without doing a full recharge.

Our unit is a bumper pull Minnie Winnie about 25 ft with a single slide out. Could probably sleep 4, and have enough seating that we can entertain up to about 7 for a sit down meal. Haul it around with a F350 crew cab diesel.

Have some small economic issues at the moment with a possible need to retrieve a son that's having difficulties nailing down his first million. Want to hit the road when we get that settled.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20

Yes, the bathroom is a big part of the RV. I'm not the fast rider I once was. I have to eat a lot dirt at the back of the pack now. A hot shower
is golden. I can do anything on 30 amps, not!!!
Posted By: joken2 Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20

Rates at a privately owned campground that's within walking distance of Whittaker's Gun Shop. Just a little further up a ways is a pretty good size restaurant/antique/collectables/etc,, consignment shop, too:

http://diamondlakeresort.net/rates/

https://visitpreservationstation.com/

Posted By: 1bigdude Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/20/20
I guess I have been in a camper of some sort for 50+ years now. Had all types length makes,etc. Currently I have a destination series Heartland on property year round as my hunting camp. I also currently own a 42' motor home for mobile travel putting 25,000 miles on last year alone.There is one thing I have found out...There is nothing cheap about the RV life style!!! I'd sell the motor home but the wife loves it.
I would never sell my home and live in one on the road or parked. Well the house rent an apartment or condo so you have no maintaining the yard THEN get a smaller motor home and travel. I know with my 42' coach there are places that I can not take it legally....son lives in [bleep] usa and you can not drive a rig longer than 28' in that town!.
My parents were RV'ers for about 20 years. They had a bunch of different ones, bumper pulls, 5th wheels, and a couple motor homes. They finally settled on a bumper pull so Dad could take his car top boat for fishing. They got tired of the high cost of MH's. There was always something expensive to fix.

At one point, Dad put a propane conversion kit in his pickup with a large fuel tank behind the cab. Then they took a Good Sam caravan tour of Mexico with a tour guide. There were something like 30 RVers in the group. Mexico was in middle of an oil crisis with rock bottom prices. They were burning off gas just to get rid of it. Propane was a few cents/gal, so cheap that their 3500 mile trip only cost them $20 in fuel. You don't get that lucky very often.
Posted By: Full3r Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/21/20
We bought a big pull behind to take the kids. Bought way to big as we were damn near 60’ bumper to bumper. Room was nice but a pain to drive around and get in some parks. Downsized to a smaller unit with expandable ends. Fun but a lot of work. We got to see several places and still use it as it paid off but we know where we “want” to be. And will start looking for a cottage or cabin there as our kids get bigger. I have no intention of buying another RV.

YMMV
David
Posted By: johnw Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/21/20

There would be a number of issues for us to work out before doing this. Getting a boat where we'd be going is just one of them. My wife has recently begun collecting some wall art and wants it to go with us.

The dog
The grandkids
Lots of things to work out

Including the mileage to all the places we'd like to spend time.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/21/20
I've had 3 campers & I believe Floor plan trumps size every time.

A buddy told me he wanted this or that but they wee hard to find, so he settled on what they had.

Way too many dealers & brands out there to not get what you want.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/21/20

There would be a number of issues for us to work out before doing this. Getting a boat where we'd be going is just one of them. My wife has recently begun collecting some wall art and wants it to go with us.

The dog
The grandkids

Some hotels tack on another 30$ per night if you have a dog.
Posted By: WildWest Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/21/20
I'm RVing in AZ . Nice to pull up, start gen, run out slides.When boon docking. Have my stuff with me. I don't have to carry it in hotel rm. Too much, to do it, anyway.
When in campground less than hotel rm. Hook up electric, water ,sewer, good to go. Yes picking out the RV is key. Look at lots of them. Ck reviews. I like the flexibility to just hook up and go where the wind blows, or not.
"For sale- - - -small camp trailer.. Sleeps one couple, four good friends, or 14 drunks after a tailgate party!"

LOL!
Jerry
Posted By: gunzo Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/21/20
"For sale- - - -small camp trailer.. Sleeps one couple, four good friends, or 14 drunks after a tailgate party!"

LOL!
Jerry

A friend had an old humpback trailer he called the motel 6. After a big rain storm during a field party, we called it the Super 8.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/21/20

LOL!
Jerry

Jerry, had a question for you earlier in the thread on small motor homes. Would appreciate your read on that, please Sir.

The dog
The grandkids

A while back I saw a setup. It was a dually pickup pulling a long camp trailer. On top of the pickup was a 16 to 18' boat...on a trailer. He would haul the boat south for the winter and have a crane lift it off trailer and all. After a winter of camping and boating, he'd have the crane load it back on for the trip home. Obviously he had a special rack built to hold it up there.
Since then, I've found that it's really not an uncommon thing to do. Apparently some large marinas even have cranes set up to do the job.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/21/20
Originally Posted by WildWest
I'm RVing in AZ . Nice to pull up, start gen, run out slides.When boon docking. Have my stuff with me. I don't have to carry it in hotel rm. Too much, to do it, anyway.
When in campground less than hotel rm. Hook up electric, water ,sewer, good to go. Yes picking out the RV is key. Look at lots of them. Ck reviews. I like the flexibility to just hook up and go where the wind blows, or not.
Ditto.
Posted By: greydog Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/21/20
I'm sitting in an RV park, in a spot we rented for a month, as I write this. If we want to go out and boondock for a few days, we can pull out and the site is still here when we get back. Cost is twelves bucks a day at the monthly rate.
Travelling with a trailer can be rewarding in many respects. When on the road, we look for National Forest, BLM, or National Parks campgrounds where our geezer passes are accepted and give us half price or free camping. We will stay in a KOA or similar, now and then, just to hook up, have WiFi, and dump tanks.
As far as economics are concerned, you can't pull a trailer to save money unless you are staying at a destination for an extended period. What the trailer gives you are convenience and that "home-away-from-home" feeling.
We have a 26 ft. trailer (30 ft overall) with a slide and pull it with a 1 ton truck. It is roomy enough for two people and small enough to get into most spots. When travelling to matches, it works well although sleeping arrangments may be less than satisfactory for my shooting partner (nice guy, good friend, but I won't let him sleep with me) who has to sleep on the couch. For this type of use or if you have kids or grandkids often, a bunkhouse model might be a better choice.
Towing presents some challenges. I never have as many people pull out in front of me as when I am towing. On every trip, there are several times when I have to hit the brakes, hard, to avoid a collision. Some filling stations make it a challenge to get to the pump. Truck stops are a good option when possible.
We have toyed with the idea of buying a lot as a destination but kind of like the ability to vary our destination. It is a bit of a paradox that we own a campground where we lease permanent sites to our campers. GD

I have owned an RV of some sort since I was 17 years old..I worked and lived out of one for years and lived full time in them for many years..I have a pickup camper now because the old Class C(built off the frame) just didn't hold up well on wash boardy roads although perfect for traveling..

1-Yes,nightly RV spaces are spendy at an RV park...Yes,most RV parks have weekly and monthly rates,some with electricity included..I don't use RV parks except for an over nighter to do laundry/get groceries and empty tanks and fill...Mobile home parks are your friend,a lot cheaper then RV spots for monthly rates..Example here:..RV parks here are $395 month plus but the local mobile home parks takes RV's for $225-250 a month...

2-Your own lot works well if that's the only place you want to go..As long as it is considered an RV your free of all that tax and why these tiny homes are so popular for that..Idaho sells RV lots all setup for and RV..Quite popular and inexpensive..

If your going to travel,go small in length..I have had up to a 41 footer,fine if you just travel the hiways and use truck stops for fuel..Easier to get in and out than other stations..My favorite is a small Class C..You can park in a normal spot at Walmart and get around much better than towing a trailer..Had a 35ft Jayco fifth wheel with the front living room and it was nice but a pain to move around and find spots...

Good luck on your new RV..You can't rent in Idaho for the price of RV living..Much cheaper..
Posted By: memtb Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/21/20

johnw, I can’t offer any help on properties or campgrounds, as we rarely use campgrounds. “BUT”, I will say this ......”Do Not Buy New”! Rv’s take a tremendous depreciation hit over the first several years. We’ve RV camped since the mid-70’s, and used 5th wheels since the early ‘90’s, and have learned a little in that time frame. Just a suggestion, buy what you “think” you want, without spending a lot of cash. Then after a few years of learning, you “will” be shopping again for a unit that closer meets your needs/wants.

On the used purchase suggestion. Our present 5th wheel was 8 years old when we bought it from a “motivated seller”. He had invested somewhere upwards of $160 K....we got it for just under $34K. Yes, there were a few small items that needed addressing, 6 new tires, 6 new batteries, and some work on the hydraulic disc brake system ( which I did myself). But, overall we got a hellofa unit for a small % of the original price.

We’ve never bought new, and since 1993 have stayed with one brand, which ceased to exist (along with several quality, high end rv’s) with the market collapse of the late 2000’s. If you go to rvtrader, or RVT for a enormous list of rv’s for sale. There are many quality, high end older units to be had at a good price. Also consider, joining an RV forum or three.....there are literally thousands of participants that are very knowledgeable about rv’s, as quite a few idiots as well!

Good Luck with your new chosen lifestyle! memtb
One thing to bear in mind, with any RV your roof is either leaking or about to leak. You must be diligent with checking your roof and caulking as even a tiny opening is going to leak an it will not be long before your roof is soft. Think about it that thin skin over the rubber roof is sitting out in the sun and weather 365 days a year. Before you buy anything used insist on getting up on the roof and checking it out. Oh yes those crank open vent covers are a leak waiting to happen they become brittle 1-2 years from new invest in covers for them.
Posted By: tzone Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/21/20
Originally Posted by Hectortwsp
get a comfort height porcelain toilet every TT maker offers them as an upgrade, I go 265# 6'4" and can crap up a storm just like home.

grin grin
A bucket of Cool-Seal and a long handled brush is good, inexpensive roof insurance, and the average RV only takes one afternoon to brush on a coat of sealer.
Jerry
A bucket of Cool-Seal and a long handled brush is good, inexpensive roof insurance, and the average RV only takes one afternoon to brush on a coat of sealer.
Jerry
If you have a solid roof (not covered with rubber or vinyl), coat it with EPDM Liquid Roof. It's real rubber. It comes in 2 parts that you mix. It's a quick and easy job and it cures to the same stuff they put on roofs in rolls. It'll cover cracks, screw heads, etc.
Yep, and the self-leveling Dicor sealant is easy to use around vent covers, seams, etc.
Posted By: tzone Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/21/20

The dog
The grandkids

Sounds like renting a seasonal home would be more like it then.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Camping Trailer Questions - 02/22/20
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
The only advantage I've found to traveling with a travel trailer/RV is the ability to stay in places where there aren't any motels/hotels. Places like way back in the National Forests, National Parks, BLM land, etc.. Otherwise, by the time you figure in the cost of the trailer/RV, truck to pull it, and the cost to stay in campgrounds, you can pretty much stay in a very nice hotel for less.

Except you can pepare your own meals and not have to eat out. So still cheaper in the long run.
tag
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Jerry
If you have a solid roof (not covered with rubber or vinyl), coat it with EPDM Liquid Roof. It's real rubber. It comes in 2 parts that you mix. It's a quick and easy job and it cures to the same stuff they put on roofs in rolls. It'll cover cracks, screw heads, etc.

Re: roof leaks and coatings.
IME the grainy coatings that slow water & let it pool by slowing its movement actually cause more water to get in.... I believe that the faster you get it off the top the less likely it is to get inside.
Sometimes sacrificing a level trailer for increased runoff in a heavy rain is worth it...

A negotiating point to use when buying used.
© 24hourcampfire