Home
The morning freight train just went through our area, blowing it's horn at the nearby crossing. It brings back memories from my youth when the trains crossed near us. The sound of their horn was a pleasant reminder that everything was good, and the sun would rise another time. What reminders do you experience from day's gone by? A sight, a sound, or maybe a cherished possession from days of yore? My old Barlow pocket knife still travels everywhere with me. The blade is about done from being sharpened so many times over the last 50 years.
Haven't heard the noon air-raid siren in a while.

Theme song fromJeopardy has been around a while.
foghorns, on the Houston Ship channel, early 1960s
Posted By: hanco Re: Reminders of day's gone by. - 02/22/20
I drive by my old high school twice a day. It brings back great memories for me. My high school years were the best years of my life, girls, football, girls, track, girls!!!!!

Went to the chicken ranch in La Grange a bunch too. They had a lot of nice girls there. Friendly too!
coal burning on a cold winter morning. i grew up in a coal mining town about 100 yards from the face. the slag piles would burn 24x7 from spontaneous combustion and the air always smelled like coal burning.

and diesel fumes and french toast in the morning remind me of basic training.
Originally Posted by kid0917

That sounds really cool.
Originally Posted by rem141r
coal burning on a cold winter morning. i grew up in a coal mining town about 100 yards from the face. the slag piles would burn 24x7 from spontaneous combustion and the air always smelled like coal burning.

and diesel fumes and french toast in the morning remind me of basic training.

Reminds me of deer camp where we always threw a big lump in the stove before calling it a night.
Jeff, more, and more those things live only in my mind. Yes, I know there are many here that question if I have a mind. laugh
I grew up on a farm in a house with no air-conditioner so I went to sleep many nights serenaded by the various night sounds. Spring turkey camp gives me the opportunity to listen to the whippoorwills and chorus frogs once again.
Growing up west of Denver in the days when they still ran steam engines, the sound of the steam whistles echoing all over as they started up the hump to the east end of the Moffat Tunnel headed west.
Smokepole just reminded me of the noon air raid siren at noon. I'd forgotten all about that. It was on the fire house near the school where I went from first to eighth grade. My high school was too far away to hear it. Not sure when that practice was dropped but it was sometime after June 1964 when I finished eighth grade.
The sounds of sonic booms. I recall hearing them about daily in the early 70’s.

Haven’t heard one in decades
Red dots on liquor stores.
When I was a kid, everybody had a dinner bell which was used to call farm workers to meal time. Haven’t heard one in years. Now the bell is a collectors item.
Posted By: papat Re: Reminders of day's gone by. - 02/22/20
Main line of Burlington Northern between Chicago and Denver ran along the south side of our farm. Laid in bed many nights listening to the long freights going by. But then there were the times doing field work on the tractor and trains would come along from behind you and blow their whistles. You would just about come right off the tractor. 50 years sure did go by fast.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by kid0917

That sounds really cool.

Sawmill whistle at noon in some small east Texas towns.
I used to have an old codger that ran an open shed sawmill next holler over from the farm here. Mr Clyde Ferrell, had about 4 off-bearers and himself. Diesel rig, straight pipe probably 4ft circular blade. Rrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I went down there when I 18yrs old told him he needed a muffler on that thing, it was fuggin up my deer hunting.
He said “boy....I put a muffla on yor mouf”

😄 😃
My home town of South Charleston, WV had chemical plants along the Kanawha river and at night there was a constant hum from the plants and the sound of trains being made up at the foot of the hill where we lived. The smell of burning coal and burning slate dumps is a long lost favorite aroma.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I used to have an old codger that ran an open shed sawmill next holler over from the farm here. Mr Clyde Ferrell, had about 4 off-bearers and himself. Diesel rig, straight pipe probably 4ft circular blade. Rrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I

😄 😃

Lemme tell ya ya 'bout the ol' boy near me that ran his mill bolted to the rear end of a 396 Caprice. Pot smokin' hippie that he hired to "drive" the damn thing put it in reverse one day,......

Weren't good !!!
Posted By: jnyork Re: Reminders of day's gone by. - 02/22/20
Sound of Hueys still gives me goosebumps.
Listening to the roosters crowing at daylight and the sound of tractors being cranked; an A John Deere was a ‘Popping Johnny’ that had its’ own peculiar sound! Both gone by so-called progress and homes with insulated and sound proof windows! The ‘40s and ‘50s were a sweet time excluding our heroes who had to suffer the war years!
Originally Posted by jnyork
Sound of Hueys still gives me goosebumps.

130's do the same for me. i can tell a 130 when i can barely hear it.
Jag, the sawmill was right next to the Elementary/Jr. High school. It gave a long blast at 7:30AM to wake up the employees who lived across the street from the mill. A short blast at 8:00 to start work. A short blast at 12Noon for lunch and 12:30 back to work, short blast at 4:30 for end of day.

Miss the sound of the 9:25 freight train. Couldn't go to sleep 'til I heard it 's horn as it want around the curve.

Mill shut down in 1960, the train shortly there after. Comforting sounds long gone.
Originally Posted by deltakid
Growing up west of Denver in the days when they still ran steam engines, the sound of the steam whistles echoing all over as they started up the hump to the east end of the Moffat Tunnel headed west.

That sounds so cool!
Walking down my hometown street in the early '60's with my two brothers, shotguns over our shoulders and no one even gave us a second glance.
Posted By: papat Re: Reminders of day's gone by. - 02/22/20
Trains mean something to many of us. They have something special.
I know we've discussed this before, but back in my high school years there was always a gun in the window rack in my truck. During trapping season, I ran my traps before school, and there was always a very well worn Single Six in the pack. We used to bring our shotguns to school, walk across the football field and jump shoot a couple little ponds just behind the visiting team bleachers. Heck, one of our teacher used to hunt with us once in a while. The science teacher let us clean ducks in the chem lab. We'd give him a mallard every time (assuming we got some ducks) in exchange for letting us use the sinks in the lab. Nowadays, a kid shows up at school with a souvenir letter opener from a family vacation, and they call the SWAT team. Times have sure changed.
Originally Posted by lastround
When I was a kid, everybody had a dinner bell which was used to call farm workers to meal time. Haven’t heard one in years. Now the bell is a collectors item.

Yes, every farm had one. They were also used for emergencies, to signal for help. I have a repo, but it's nothing like the real thing. My brother has the one from our old homeplace.
Our neighbors up the street had one of those, and when Mrs. Wire rang that bell, all the kids in the area knew it was time to get the ball game wrapped up and head for home.
I take the question as if I am reminded in these days of long ago. I guess not much. Most everything has changed so much.

As I've read, when you are eight years old you could play football on your grandparent's porch. When you go back years later, it is 8' by 16'.
© 24hourcampfire