Home
Posted By: wabigoon Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
Do you do anything different?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
I probably used to.

I cant remember.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
Would you show your tits for some plastic beads?
I dont think so.

Too many layers of clothing.....plus suspenders.
We used to give up something for Lent I remember.

Then it was ashes?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I dont think so.

Too many layers of clothing.....plus suspenders.

We can see yours with clothes on, I’m askin The’Goon

😃

Then it was ashes?

No video games for a week?
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
I pay no attention to Lent. The concept has nothing to do with anything Jesus said or taught.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

When God created Adam, the material to make him is not revealed. “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female them” (Gen. 1:27). God commanded Adam not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die (2:16). Thus when Adam and Eve ate the fruit, God said, “By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return” (Gen. 3:19). Adam didn’t know how long he will live on earth but there will be a day that he die.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I pay no attention to Lent. The concept has nothing to do with anything Jesus said or taught.

I thought it was the 40 days of temptation of Jesus by the devil in the desert?
Originally Posted by Terryk

When God created Adam, the material to make him is not revealed. “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female them” (Gen. 1:27). God commanded Adam not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die (2:16). Thus when Adam and Eve ate the fruit, God said, “By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return” (Gen. 3:19). Adam didn’t know how long he will live on earth but there will be a day that he die.

What does that have to do with giving up something trivial before Easter.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
Don't do nothing anymore on Fat Tuesday. Back about 20 years ago one of my cousins had her own restaurant, which had lots of German cuisine with most recipes from the German side of my family. She always had a big bash for fat tuesday with a buffet of German food and my son & I were regulars. I used to call it a "German Mardi Gras" celebration. Best part was my great grandmother's recipe for Bavarian style sauerbraten. I retired almost 4 years ago, she retired a year or two ago and now it's just another Tuesday.

So what? Jesus did not instruct the disciples to have Lent.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Then it was ashes?

No video games for a week?

Never had them.

I dont remember........maybe Froot Loops or something similar?
Ash Wednesday tomorrow
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Do you do anything different?

Go to Ash Wednesday service. Fat Tuesday has never been a thing for me.

What does that have to do with giving up something trivial before Easter.

Lent is not about "giving something up." The church season of Lent has a more somber, penitential character than most the rest of the year and is the lead up to Easter. The Lenten season is meant for Christians to meditate on Christ's suffering during his time fasting in the desert and on the cross. "Giving something up" for Lent is a matter of Christian freedom. Some do so to help them focus on and remember Christ's suffering on our behalf.

As far as the imposition of ashes, it is an ancient act of repentance and helps the Christian focus on the meaning of the day. As with other traditions or sacraments, there is both a material component (ashes) and a spiritual component (God's word). Just as children may require a material component (apples, tally sticks, etc.) to get a handle on mathematics, ashes and other material components in traditions and sacraments aid many humans' understanding of the spiritual significance.

So what? Jesus did not instruct the disciples to have Lent.

Yes, but God's church is filled with humans who live on a human scale and the church calendar & it corporate observances (with its focus on major events in Christ's life) is a teaching tool for those humans. The various parts of the year, Holy Days, and suchlike are used to teach about Christ's message. They bring up, on a time scale we humans can manage, Christ's life and message in a corporate manner.

The church fathers were neither fools nor were they ignorant of the nature of men. Finding ways to preach the Word so the Holy Spirit can do its work was part of their duty. Another part is to help mature believers in the fait and to keep some part of their daily. lived life focused on Christ.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
Fat Tuesday (Shrove Tuesday) was supposed to be a day of repentance to prepare for Ash Wednesday and Lent. That repentance has turned into a day of debauchery in New Orleans.
Posted By: CEoW717 Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
It’s about doing it for yourself, not for a one else.

Matthew 6:1 - 6:8
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
I'm Methodist, I like fish, I enjoy the sale prices, and special meals on fish during lent.
I'm Methodist, I like fish, I enjoy the sale prices, and special meals on fish during lent.

Pierogi are also part of the lent package. Great combo.
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
In the Orthodox Church, choosing to honor a "strict" Lenten fast is a spiritual and physical commitment. This year Great Lent is seven weeks long.

Weekdays:
No meat, no fish (with a skeleton), no dairy, no oil (e.g. olive or vegetable)
Shellfish (such as lobster, shrimp, crab, oysters, scallops, clams, mussels, etc.) are allowed.
Vegetables and Vegetable products including grains (rice, wheat, flour, non-egg pasta) are allowed.
Fruit is allowed.

Weekends:
Add the oils back in.

No alcohol. Go easy at meal time. No eating between meals.

Some special days are more or less restrictive.

EZ-PZ, right?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
I realized years ago that the smart and rational thing was to give up the whole silly idea of religion. So in essence, I give up Lent for Lent.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
I think the wife gives up sex for lent ...at least on my end that's how it is
Originally Posted by mrchongo
In the Orthodox Church, choosing to honor a "strict" Lenten fast is a spiritual and physical commitment. This year Great Lent is seven weeks long.

Weekdays:
No meat, no fish (with a skeleton), no dairy, no oil (e.g. olive or vegetable)
Shellfish (such as lobster, shrimp, crab, oysters, scallops, clams, mussels, etc.) are allowed.
Vegetables and Vegetable products including grains (rice, wheat, flour, non-egg pasta) are allowed.
Fruit is allowed.

Weekends:
Add the oils back in.

No alcohol. Go easy at meal time. No eating between meals.

Some special days are more or less restrictive.

EZ-PZ, right?

Slavyanka is Orthodox. Because of health issues the last few years she has gotten a dispensation from her priest to allow her to have meat and dairy. This year, she's feeling better so I suggested we do the full Lenten fast, if for no other reason that I will likely lose 20 lbs. on it.

When we were first going out she suggested that some people extend their fast to sex. I made it clear that was not something I was willing to give up. She hasn't brought it up again.
Posted By: CEoW717 Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20

Pierogi are also part of the lent package. Great combo.

Who doesn’t love pierogis?!?
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
My BIL is a fine upstanding catholic...he gives up watermelon each year for lent.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
I don't miss those
"Herbe Like" taco ads.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
Originally Posted by gkt5450
My BIL is a fine upstanding catholic...he gives up watermelon each year for lent.

If he’s black, it matters.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Fat Tuesday, then Lent? - 02/26/20
Nope. Straight Pittsburgh Italian.
© 24hourcampfire