Home
Posted By: 7mmbuster Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Not much for horror movies, but I’ve seen a few. Saw the top two in AIT at the rec center and of course, who hasn’t seen Jaws and Alien.
Anyway, I ran across this and thought it would make for interesting conversation.
All Time Scariest Movies
Thoughts?
7mm
Posted By: 79S Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
To this day I cant even watch Friday the 13th. Ph ucking movie gives em the heebie jeebies Nightmare on elm street the 1st one is right up their. The exorcist is top 20 I guess. I saw poltergeist on the list and that is another one that is creepy as ph uck..
Rear window.
Rosemary's baby is up there.
Halloween
Posted By: pahick Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
9 yrs old. Parents didnt allow horror movies. Went to a friends and watched Salems Lot. Done! Never saw a true horror movie again besides a few clips here and there. Couple yrs ago moved woman in, she got some movies together, I grabbed some grub. Sit down and Saw was coming on. Screw that! Psycho bitch! She moved on quick like.
Posted By: TomT Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Fatal Attraction. Glenn Close is scary As-F! Stalker scary!
Ok, not your “horror movie” scary, but that movie will make even the most unfaithful among us think twice before cheating.

The Exorcist, The Omen, Rosemary’s Baby (originals, not ANY bs “re-makes”). There were also a few, early 80s, lesser know horror movies that rode the wave of the Halloween, Friday the 13th and Freddy Kruger franchises, like Happy Birthday to me and Mother’s Day, that (in my memory) were scary, but that was 40 years ago :-).

I would like to include the “Living Dead” movies, by George Romero, but they’ve become more “humorous”/campy in my mind over the years.

Lastly (honorable mention), Ishtar, with Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty. It’s been over 30 years, I’m sure, but that movie was SCARY! ..... at least scary BAD 😁
The Sound of Music
FROGS saw it at the drive in when i was a kid.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
I never thought Silence of the Lambs was scary at all, don't know why it makes these lists. More of a suspense movie than a horror story to me.

Exorcist is no. 1. Poltergeist is way up there. John Carpenter's version of The Thing ought to make these lists, excellent monster movie.
Originally Posted by auk1124
I never thought Silence of the Lambs was scary at all, don't know why it makes these lists. More of a suspense movie than a horror story to me.

Exorcist is no. 1. Poltergeist is way up there. John Carpenter's version of The Thing ought to make these lists, excellent monster movie.

'Silence Of The Lambs' is scary because it makes you realize there may be people out there who are capable of such evil deeds. Most others are about making you jump out of your seat by surprising you and shouting "boo".
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
I've always thought that most horror movies could be brought to an abrupt end with an ought-6.
Posted By: viking Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Grizzly. I saw that when I was about 9 or 10.
Posted By: DougD Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
The first Alien Movie. Them damn teeth.
Originally Posted by DougD
The first Alien Movie. Them damn teeth.

known some girls like that.
Posted By: jimone Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Wag the dog.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
FROGS saw it at drive in when i was kid.

I remember that one. Damn, dude, you're OLD.
Posted By: hanco Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
The shining
The Birds was probably the scariest to me because it doesn't seem as implausible as most of the genre does. When I see thousands of grackles gathered up in a parking lot, that scenario goes through my mind. Hate those damn things.
Friday the 13th. Saw it on the USS Midway while on cruise and it had the whole ready room yelling. The Airwing Commander, Cdr Roger Flowers, happened to be walking by the ready room, heard all the commotion and he had to come in and see what was going on. I think that was the scene where the arrow went through the guy’s throat. 😳
Willard
Never could tolerate rats.
the Exorcist of course.
Saw Jaws at 7 years old...I live on the ocean and still won’t go in it because of that damn shark movie. 😎
Posted By: Stan V Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Psycho

Whatever is in second is distant
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Gargoyles,
years later, still cant go outside at night.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Confession time, The flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz caused more than just a few sleepless nights........................
Them sumbeaches are the reason I hate crows so much today.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
The Maze.
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Not much for horror movies, but I’ve seen a few. Saw the top two in AIT at the rec center and of course, who hasn’t seen Jaws and Alien.
Anyway, I ran across this and thought it would make for interesting conversation.
All Time Scariest Movies
Thoughts?
7mm

The movies that really scared the heck out of me were the original House on Haunted Hill, Jaws, Alien, And Predator. The first one I saw at home when I was a little kid . The last three I saw in the theater.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Gargoyles,
years later, still cant go outside at night.

I remember that movie. Those costumes (makeup jobs) were really scary.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Exorcist... I'm Catholic smile
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Saw Jaws at 7 years old...I live on the ocean and still won’t go in it because of that damn shark movie. 😎

My cousin, two years younger than me, was so scared by that movie that he wouldn't go into a swimming pool for a year, and then when he would, if you shouted SHARK, he'd get out as fast as he could, terrified.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Exorcist... I'm Catholic smile

I forgot that one. Yep. That's on my list, too, along with Exorcist III. Exorcist II was just stupid. Exorcist IV sucked.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
The first Alien
Posted By: RAS Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Not really scary but the end of The Mist was terrible. If you have kids, and seen it, you will agree.
The Birds scared the heck out of me as a kid watching it at home. So did Cujo, watched at home, but I was 20 when I watched that. These are both honorable mentions for me in this category.

I watched "The Exorcist" at the movie theater when I was 13 I think, scared the [bleep] out of me!
My scariest movie ever as a kid.

Night of the Living Dead (original black and white)

I grew up across the road from a cemetery. The next day I was thinking how to board up our windows.
Originally Posted by RAS
My scariest movie ever as a kid.

Night of the Living Dead (original black and white)

I grew up across the road from a cemetery. The next day I was thinking how to board up our windows.

That didn't scare me, because I stayed up late with my older brother and his friends to watch it on TV, and he and his friends were having so much fun with it, I couldn't be afraid. Maybe if I were alone when I first watched it.
Originally Posted by TomT
Ok, not your “horror movie” scary, but that movie will make even the most unfaithful among us think twice before cheating.

The Exorcist, The Omen, Rosemary’s Baby (originals, not ANY bs “re-makes”). There were also a few, early 80s, lesser know horror movies that rode the wave of the Halloween, Friday the 13th and Freddy Kruger franchises, like Happy Birthday to me and Mother’s Day, that (in my memory) were scary, but that was 40 years ago :-).

I would like to include the “Living Dead” movies, by George Romero, but they’ve become more “humorous”/campy in my mind over the years.

Lastly (honorable mention), Ishtar, with Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty. It’s been over 30 years, I’m sure, but that movie was SCARY! ..... at least scary BAD 😁

Fatal Attraction is the ONE that got me. Probably 14-15 years old watched it by myself in the basement when the rest of the the family was asleep upstairs. It was so scary because it could really happen! Can't remember ever truly feeling "Scared" from a movie since.
Posted By: shaman Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
I saw The Keep shortly after nearly dying in a cave. Big mistake.
Originally Posted by hanco
The shining

Great movie.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The Birds was probably the scariest to me because it doesn't seem as implausible as most of the genre does. When I see thousands of grackles gathered up in a parking lot, that scenario goes through my mind. Hate those damn things.

Yeah, I walked carefully around large gatherings of crows for years after that.
Close encounters of the 4th kind.

When that dude shot up outta the bed i was doing Fred Flintstone feet. Running but not going anywhere. 😂

Watched Saw / Hostel. Wasn’t really scary. Just gory.
Originally Posted by RAS
Not really scary but the end of The Mist was terrible. If you have kids, and seen it, you will agree.

Yep, another great one.
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Originally Posted by TomT

Fatal Attraction is the ONE that got me. Probably 14-15 years old watched it by myself in the basement when the rest of the the family was asleep upstairs. It was so scary because it could really happen! Can't remember ever truly feeling "Scared" from a movie since.

Yep, Fatal Attraction. Scary scene.
Prophecy. It’s kind of corny to watch it as an adult now. But it was terrifying as an 8 year old.

I was fully convinced that monster disfigured bear lived in northern Michigan.
What about The Thing from the 1980s?
Most horror movies just strike me as silly and fake.
I'll agree with the guys above about "The Shining" as an intelligent, mentally disturbing movie.
Posted By: killerv Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
The scariest new movie I've seen in a while is The Babadook. That movie is friggin awesome. I had to sleep with the light on for about a week, just kidding. The Haunted Hill House series on netflix is pretty dang good too.
I'm not big on that sort of thing, I was young, Little Toot. When they towed Toot out to sea, I was scared.
Posted By: viking Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
I think there is a trailer out there that has a crazy old curmudgeon, communist with bad hair and hasn’t worked a day in his life running for president, that phoocking scares me.

It’s almost worse than the the prequel of a don’t know where he came from half-rican...
The Monster That Challenged the World. Saw it at the theatre I was 8 years old. I had nightmares for a year.
A giant monster, looked like a 30 foot long crawfish, lived in the canals in California. He would grab a man and suck his blood out through the eyes, when he was finished, the dead guy's eyes looked like two fried eggs.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Blair Witch Project
John Carpenter's The Thing was up there. There's also a snake movie from the '70's called SSSSSSSS that gave me nightmares for years.
Silence of The Lambs because it was somewhat real/possible. Buffalo Bill’s character was a composite of several actual FBI serial killers.

Jaws...I was afraid to take a bath after that damn movie.

Scariest of all (and I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned) was quite obviously The Legend of Boggy Creek. What’s wrong with you people? No appreciation for true horror?
Children of the Corn is another one. My wife to this day hates corn fields.
I must be a sociopath, never had a “scary movie” cause emotional disturbance.

Now, those guys that filmed and free-climbed El Capitan creeps me out.
Sleepaway Camp. 80s slasher with hermaphrodite twisted ending. Crazy scary for a 10 year old.

The original Chainsaw Massacre could be the scariest. The sound of the old timey camera flash throughout the movie is spine chilling.
Originally Posted by Sevastopol

'Silence Of The Lambs' is scary because it makes you realize there "may" be people out there who are capable of such evil deeds. Most others are about making you jump out of your seat by surprising you and shouting "boo".

There ain't no "may" to it.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Reminds me of my father. My brother and I were in awe of him growing up vis a vis scary movies. He was like a rock. Nothing on the screen ever seemed to scare or shock him.
There were a couple of low budget movies in the 1970s or '80s about cannibal families or couples who appeared to be ordinary middle class people to the general public, but always maintained a large walk in freezer full of human meat. Those were gruesome, and sometimes scary. Not sure if it was one movie or two that I'm remembering. One scene was where they'd cut their victims' tongues out, tie them up, and bury them in the garden, only exposing their heads, as if a row of cabbage heads.
The Conjuring and The Conjuring 2
Posted By: whodat Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
The Haunting and The Sentinel ( 1977) movie.
Both made my skin crawl.
Posted By: mudstud Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20

Lots of good movies mentioned, but I don't think anyone mentioned Se7en.
Originally Posted by whodat
The Haunting and The Sentinel ( 1977) movie.
Both made my skin crawl.

Just watched The Sentinel trailer. Looks scary.
Originally Posted by mudstud

Lots of good movies mentioned, but I don't think anyone mentioned Se7en.

Is that the "What's in the BOX?" movie?
Posted By: killerv Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
V/H/S is scary as all get out. The first short movie with the girl they bring back to the hotel room....dont want to be those guys no matter how good she looks

Blair Witch was scary because it was before the internet got big, They also pumped it up by having documentaries on the blair witch on tv before the move actually came out. Only movie I've been to where we sat on the floor because all seats were full, and the firemarshall had to come in.
The Exorcist, I'm Catholic too. The 1987 movie Breakdown with Kurt Russell probably because it was such a plausible story line, like that could really happen, that one seemed to really bother me.
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
The Exorcist, I'm Catholic too. The 1987 movie Breakdown with Kurt Russell probably because it was such a plausible story line, like that could really happen, that one seemed to really bother me.

Yeah, Breakdown was great. About a serial murderer coming upon Kurt Russell and his wife after a breakdown on the highway. What's so scary about it is that the serial killer looks to the world like a regular guy with a wife and kids.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20

Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

'Silence Of The Lambs' is scary because it makes you realize there "may" be people out there who are capable of such evil deeds. Most others are about making you jump out of your seat by surprising you and shouting "boo".

For me, as an adult and parent, the original, early '70s "B" movie, Last House on the Left, meets the, ain't no "may" criteria, as well, and was the single most disturbing movie I've ever saw and still is.

As a kid the two truly "scariest" movies I remember most were, Black Sunday - AKA - The Mask of Satan (1960), and, The Tingler (1959).

Posted By: JOG Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
30 Days of Night

Vampire-like creatures invade a small town above the arctic circle. Dawn ain't coming anytime soon.

Seven days in May.
The Grapes of wrath.
Originally Posted by pahick
9 yrs old. Parents didnt allow horror movies. Went to a friends and watched Salems Lot. Done! Never saw a true horror movie again besides a few clips here and there. Couple yrs ago moved woman in, she got some movies together, I grabbed some grub. Sit down and Saw was coming on. Screw that! Psycho bitch! She moved on quick like.

Forgot about that one. Fn a it's scary
Slasher movies don't do anything for me.

Originally Posted by Kenlguy
I've always thought that most horror movies could be brought to an abrupt end with an ought-6.

Yep. Heck a couple of moderately bright folks with a snub-nosed revolver for 75% of them.

Most of those movies have what is called an "idiot plot," where the polt only works if EVERYONE is a flipping idiot.

Originally Posted by Crow hunter
John Carpenter's The Thing was up there. There's also a snake movie from the '70's called SSSSSSSS that gave me nightmares for years.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
What about The Thing from the 1980s?

Saw Carpenter's The Thing as a kid. That one gave me the heebie-jeebies.
Exorcist...at the drive in...scared the [bleep] out of me and my girl!
Posted By: GeoW Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
The Exorcist. There was a definite presence felt in that theater...

g
remember watching Halloween at the drive inn, my buddy had a black trench coat and manican head he put it on with that head sticking out the top and walked to cars and leaned done looking in the window lol scared the chit out of people.
Posted By: EdM Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Scream.
Growing up we were not allowed to watch scary movies or anything R-rated. One weekend when I was 14 my whole family went out of town and I went to my friends house because his parents were also gone and we watched an 80s vampire movie called fright night. If you had seen other scary movies, maybe it would bother you, but I had never seen anything like it before and was so terrified I can’t even begin to describe it.

Then the movie had a scene Where a woman took her top off. I had also never seen anything like that and was absolutely absolutely convinced that the devil was going to come get me for being a pervert. That may sound stupid to you, but the things I had heard from my grandma growing up, I knew I was in literal trouble

I then had to walk the mile home in the dark in our rural neighborhood to my empty house. Because of the immodest scene I didn’t feel like I could pray and ask for help. I also don’t think I have ever spent the night alone until then. I turned every light on in the house and sat in the middle of my floor with a revolver the entire night

Maybe objectively it wasn’t that scary of a movie, I don’t know, i’ve never watched it again. I don’t like scary movies at all! My daughter was 14 last year. She also has never seen an R movie or a scary movie and saw the movie bird box on Netflix at a friends house. She spent over a month sleeping on our bedroom floor terrified and with all of the downstairs lights on after that for three months. Sorry for the typos, I’m speaking into the iPad
Posted By: OAM Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Jaws! No movie screwed up my childhood more than Jaws. I watched it when I was 7-8. I was scared of all water for a couple years. I wouldnt even go out in lakes fishing with my Dad.
Posted By: JPro Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20

Yep. Watching some of those climbing videos has made me sweat before.

When I was a little kid, Jaws made me scared of what was in the water, but I still loved to watch the movies. Something about being in water where you can't see the bottom.....
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
There were a couple of low budget movies in the 1970s or '80s about cannibal families or couples who appeared to be ordinary middle class people to the general public, but always maintained a large walk in freezer full of human meat. Those were gruesome, and sometimes scary. Not sure if it was one movie or two that I'm remembering. One scene was where they'd cut their victims' tongues out, tie them up, and bury them in the garden, only exposing their heads, as if a row of cabbage heads.

You're thinking of Motel Hell, a cult classic from 1980. It was unintentionally campy and downright funny in parts, and is still aired around Halloween. I caught it again last year.

The lead actor in it was Rory Calhoun, who did a lot of Westerns in the 50's.
Not in any particular order:
Jaws
The Cabin in the Woods
The Thing (80's version)
A Quiet Place
Re-Animator
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)

I remember seeing this one, The H Man, as a kid, it scared the living crap out of me and I couldn't sleep for weeks.
Originally Posted by viking
Grizzly. I saw that when I was about 9 or 10.

I think I was 6 or 7 and we watched it as a family in our basement TV room. The bathroom downstairs wasn't completed yet so you had to go upstairs. I had to pee terrible and mentioned as much. My oldest sister snuck up stairs and hid in the dark and when I came up there, already terrified, she jumped out roaring. l couldn't even scream. I just stood there and pissed my pants and left a puddle on the floor. Still haven't forgiven her completely for that.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Saw the Exorcist with 6 of my biggest toughest friends. We all went home and slept with the lights on ...
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
I saw The Exorcist when I was about 17. It's the only movie that ever scared me.

Funny thing,.... "Night of the Living Dead" was old enough when I was a young teen that it was occasionally being shown on TV.

Years ago there was a theater in Lexington that had midnight movies on Friday and Saturday nights. I guess I was about 21 at the time. One night they showed "Night of the Living Dead" and a big group of us went to see it with our girlfriends. I think it was my idea. I had never seen it on the big screen,....just TV

I had seen it several times and I never considered it particularly scary. I just thought it was fun to watch.

None of the women could stand to sit through it all,...they made their dates take them home.

I wouldn't leave. I stayed for it all and so did my date.

To her credit, she thought it was silly that the other girls were too scared to watch it all.

But The Exorcist was some scary schitt. All of that demonic posession, as it was portrayed in that movie, was something new for movies at the time.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
My female cousin was visiting from Michigan when we were both about 19 or 20.

We went to see "American Werewolf in London".

She was staying with my grandparents about a mile from my house, so I dropped her off there after the movie. Everybody had gone to bed and the lights were off,...it was way out in the country,..and she made me wait there with the car lights on while she *ran* to the house.

lol,...she was kickin' it too!

I laughed so hard,.....
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I saw The Exorcist when I was about 17. It's the only movie that ever scared me.

Funny thing,.... "Night of the Living Dead" was old enough when I was a young teen that it was occasionally being shown on TV.

Years ago there was a theater in Lexington that had midnight movies on Friday and Saturday nights. I guess I was about 21 at the time. One night they showed "Night of the Living Dead" and a big group of us went to see it with our girlfriends. I think it was my idea. I had never seen it on the big screen,....just TV

I had seen it several times and I never considered it particularly scary. I just thought it was fun to watch.

None of the women could stand to sit through it all,...they made their dates take them home.

I wouldn't leave. I stayed for it all and so did my date.

To her credit, she thought it was silly that the other girls were too scared to watch it all.

But The Exorcist was some scary schitt. All of that demonic posession, as it was portrayed in that movie, was something new for movies at the time.

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
joken2 mentioned the Tingler, one of my favorites.

The Crawling Eye gave me a fear of passing into clouds or fog when I was a kid.

Mothra, kept me in irrational fear of moths for many years................kinda like some of you great big manly men that are afeared of spiders and snakes. grin

Geno

PS how can anyone forget "The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" ? I almost lost my love of gardening over that one.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Exorcist and Jaws scared the ever loving crap out of me.

I feared a bathtub after Jaws.

I think best 'made' scary movie I can think of was Alien. I respect the film making ability to master the element of suspense and this had it in spades.

Another I loved was American Werewolf in London. humor and a realistic dialog made it believable and different than most 'horror' movies. The original "The Thing" had some of it and made for a cut above the schlock of that period.

Great thing about Werewolf and Alien is that they only allowed glimpses of what the monster might be and let the 'unknown' dwell in your mind for most of the movie.
Posted By: szihn Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
One that made me cringe was jaws. The reason was ----- I saw it about 2 weeks before I went to Amphib Recon UDT training in Coronado Calif. BAAAAD timing on that movie!!!!!!

All the time I was in the water I was thinking about that shark. I would use logic to dismiss it as SUPER unlikely. But still................you'd think about it.
One fairly recent movie was Bone Tomahawk. It wasn't so much scary as it was disturbing. Very disturbing.
The Hills Have Eyes

Back in the 70's we went to the drive-in, they were showing this movie The Hills Have Eyes.
This is before computers, so, I had no idea what this movie was about. My date that night was my girlfriend who is now my wife. She got so freaked out, we had to leave the show. To this day she still says the movie is bad.
The exorcist is factual and could happen to any heathen at any time that's what makes it so scary
Posted By: slm9s Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
I think a lot of how scary a movie is your surrounding and age when watching it.

Most scared I've ever been in a movie was when I saw Candyman in the theater when I was 17 or so. I don't hear much about it when these lists come out, but boy it seemed like a LONG time sitting thu that one.

Girl with the dragon tattoo is pretty scary at the end too.
I think Jaws was one movie which scared the most folks at the time, but I was not one of them due to a very unique experience. About a year before it came out, my Dad and I flew from S FL to California to go visit his brother (my uncle), who at the time was working on the set and in the filming of the movie. I was about 6 or so years old and was completely fascinated by Bruce the shark and the way they were shooting the movie. My Dad has a pic of me somewhere sitting inside Bruce’s mouth while we were on the set watching them film. We were there for about a week, and instead of seeing anything else in California, I wanted to go watch them film that “shark movie,” and did...every day. Things were very laid back then, and no one really cared that me or my Dad hung around and watched them filming. Actually from what I remember of it, everyone was friendly and I got to meet all the lead actors, including my personal favorite in the movie, Capt. Quint (Robert Shaw).

When the movie came out that summer, I begged everyone in my family to take me to see it, but the newspapers touted it as the scariest movie ever made, and said it singlehandedly cleared all the beaches down here of people willing to go into the water. My Grandfather apparently took pity on me and took me to see it without asking permission from Mom and Dad, and made me swear not to say a word about it to anyone (which lasted about 10 seconds after the movie was finished). I was, by far, the only 7 year old in the theater, and clearly remember people walking out because they were afraid and couldn’t take any more. After being on the set of the movie, and actually being in the shark’s mouth, I had no fear of it or the movie. It also lit a fire in me and inspired a lifelong passion for all things shark that continues to this day.

One person’s fear is another’s lifelong fascination. After that, most movies people thought scary, were not at all scary to me.
Alien made me cross eyed. Truth. I had a brain tumor which was causing me trouble with forcing my eyes to stay in alignment. I walked out after the movie and lost the control and really went cross eyed. Obviously didn’t kill me, and surgery got the tumor.

The wife says she saw King Kong when she was 5 years old, and it scared her big time.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
joken2 mentioned the Tingler, one of my favorites.

The Crawling Eye gave me a fear of passing into clouds or fog when I was a kid.

Mothra, kept me in irrational fear of moths for many years................kinda like some of you great big manly men that are afeared of spiders and snakes. grin

Geno

PS how can anyone forget "The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" ? I almost lost my love of gardening over that one.

When I was real little I remember the crawling eye being scary. I saw it on TV.
Da fuggin' Banshee shocked

When Gramps opens the door and there it is I about had a heart attack grin Musta been five or six at the time.....

Now, more'n a half Century later I see this and think, well hey, at least I don't gotta walk.......
Posted By: RickyD Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
I read the Exorcist before it was out in the movie.

I read it in one sitting and finished up around 3AM. I turned the light beside my bed off and then back on about 3 times, before I got to sleep.

The movie wasn't very scary after reading the book.
When I was 11 or 12, I watched "Fire in the Sky" at home alone as soon as it came out on VHS. Not sure I have seen an alien abduction movie like it since. The scene where he comes to in captivity and then gets vacuum bagged to the table, gagged, and a needle pointed at his eyeball.....whew...that was intense for a young adolescent who had never seen anything like it before. Still a vivid and disturbing memory of that movie for me today.

Jaws was my favorite movie growing up. Absolutely wore the tape out I watched it so many times growing up.

Originally Posted by IDMilton
My daughter was 14 last year. She also has never seen an R movie or a scary movie and saw the movie bird box on Netflix at a friends house. She spent over a month sleeping on our bedroom floor terrified and with all of the downstairs lights on after that for three months.

My daughter is 9. She spent the night with some friends last summer and her friends' parents let them watch Bird Box. My daughter is still messed up from that damn movie. She hears the slightest rustling of wind / leaves outside and she starts freaking out and climbs into bed with us. My wife still cusses that mom for such stupidity. No 9 year old should be allowed to watch that movie....
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Da fuggin' Banshee shocked

When Gramps opens the door and there it is I about had a heart attack grin Musta been five or six at the time.....

Now, more'n a half Century later I see this and think, well hey, at least I don't gotta walk.......

Yep.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20

Years ago Coka-Cola ran a promotional airing of a Jaws - 3D movie on TV. Customers who bought liter bottles of Coka-Cola also got a pair of 3D glasses to watch the movie with. All three of our kids, my wife and myself watched it in 3D while eating deep fried Smelt and drinking Coka-Cola.

Our kids were still really young then, the youngest not even old enough to go to school yet, but they all thought it was big fun then and still remember it as such with all three in their 40s now.

Deserves mention

Phantasm. Freak you up.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Phantasm. Freak you up.

Loved those movies. Angus Scrimm was perfect in that role!

She was staying with my grandparents about a mile from my house, so I dropped her off there after the movie. Everybody had gone to bed and the lights were off,...it was way out in the country,..and she made me wait there with the car lights on while she *ran* to the house.

I laughed so hard,.....

did you get any booger.
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Phantasm. Freak you up.

Loved those movies. Angus Scrimm was perfect in that role!

liked the cuda in those movies.
John Carpenter's version of The Thing........hell we were looking under the car when we left the theater.. 
Originally Posted by RickyD
I read the Exorcist before it was out in the movie.

I read it in one sitting and finished up around 3AM. I turned the light beside my bed off and then back on about 3 times, before I got to sleep.

The movie wasn't very scary after reading the book.

I read the book after seeing the movie.
Originally Posted by RAS
Prophecy. It’s kind of corny to watch it as an adult now. But it was terrifying as an 8 year old.

I was fully convinced that monster disfigured bear lived in northern Michigan.

Lol me to ....jump out of your chair moive !
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

For me, as an adult and parent, the original, early '70s "B" movie, Last House on the Left, meets the, ain't no "may" criteria, as well, and was the single most disturbing movie I've ever saw and still is.

As a kid the two truly "scariest" movies I remember most were, Black Sunday - AKA - The Mask of Satan (1960), and, The Tingler (1959).

Wacking at the chick in the lake with the .38 ..was a trip ..
Marathon man

I laughed so hard,.....

did you get any booger.
don't lye
Exorcist for a 9 yr kid and his 2 buds that got into a R rated movie.
Scared schittless for months afterwards at night going to sleep and a nightmare every once in awhile.
And being catholic and going to church didnt help out matters either
with all the visual trigger reminders in church.

Movie still creeps me out to this day....
Posted By: JOG Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Not in any particular order:
Jaws
The Cabin in the Woods
The Thing (80's version)
A Quiet Place
Re-Animator
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)

Emily Blunt is in A Quiet Place. I lost focus.

Jessica Biel is in the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I lost focus.
Another classic, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, creepy as hell with the clowns but also quite funny with some of the effects.
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Another classic, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, creepy as hell with the clowns but also quite funny with some of the effects.

Dean Wormer of Faber College was in it.
The 8 Years of President Hillary! 🤮
Posted By: hookeye Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
Never seen The Exorcist.
And aint gonna.

Jaws fugged us kids up for a summer.
Even swimmin in lakes LOL.
Somebody mentioned Re Animator.
That was some wild chit when it came out.
Have directors cut on DVD and the T shirt.

Its just B grade fun now.

Halloween night I used to spin it, American Wherewolf in London and Evil Dead 2 while waiting for trick or treaters.

Yeah, John Carpenters The Thing was a shocker o. The theater.

The Wolfen book was good, as was The Prophecy. Movies totally sucked.

Not really into horror stuff.
But yeah, Phantasm was pretty wild for back then.

When did that Boggy Creek movie come out? Cousin took me when little, jacked me up for a long time.

The Road

Sci-Fi Horror is easy to dismiss while you're watching it, but The Road has such an authentic setting, pace, and is horrifyingly depressing. It's easy to imagine a number of natural disasters eventually leading to that scenario.
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
The Road

Sci-Fi Horror is easy to dismiss while you're watching it, but The Road has such an authentic setting, pace, and is horrifyingly depressing. It's easy to imagine a number of natural disasters eventually leading to that scenario.

Saw it only once as soon as it was available for home viewing. I wanted to see it again, but for years thereafter it was impossible to view. No service would make it available. Weird. Don't know if that's changed now. I'll have to look into renting it.
The book The Road was much better than the movie.
But even so, not worth the hype IMHO.
A depressing yawner.
I have yet to see it. It was filmed on the abandoned section of the old PA Turnplke that runs by just a couple miles from here along Sideling Hill Ridge. I hunt over there a good bit, squirrels, and deer with the smoke pole.
In the summertime it’s a haven for yuppie bicycle riders. You tube’s crawling with videos of the tunnels and stuff.
Like I said, horror really isn’t my genre.
Still haven’t seen anything near as scary as clips from the democratic debates. Now that chit is SCARY!
7mm
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/28/20
[Linked Image from metvcdn.metv.com]
I had a great time watching my older sister being terrified as we watched Trilogy of Terror.

Personally, I find movies like The Deer Hunter more disconcerting.
Watch any of those movies now and they are funny as heck, especially the Exorcist. The "special effects" are very outdated and you can tell they are fake.
But back in the day, some of them scared the b gezus out of me!
Posted By: m1919 Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20
The Day of the Triffids gave me some sleepless nights as a kid.

Christine
The Thing
Alien series...all of them
Predator
Pet Cemetery
A documentary called "Faces of Death" 1 and 2 kind of creeped me out.
Anyone see those?
Scenes of actual death. Gas chambers, electric chairs, plane crashes. Yikes.
A friend and I would see who could rent the most gross movie on weekends, and they won without a doubt.
Posted By: Holston Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20
I've loved Horror movies my entire life, even when I was young I'd sneak and watch them any chance I had.

I would love to see an actual scary movie, but knowing it's all fake keeps me from taking them too seriously.

Half of the movies on that list wouldn't even spook me as a kid. Some scenes on the Saw movies, or Hostel, are kind of hard for me to watch, but not scary.

I'd love to find one that actually keeps me up at night.
Posted By: Holston Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Anyone see those?
A friend and I would see who could rent the most gross movie on weekends, and they won without a doubt.

They had those available on VHS at our local gas station when I was younger to rent.

Most of the stuff on there isn't real, even though it was believed to be true for a long time.
Originally Posted by Holston
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Anyone see those?

They had those available on VHS at our local gas station when I was younger to rent.

Most of the stuff on there isn't real, even though it was believed to be true for a long time.

Thank goodness. I hadn't heard that.
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Beav, just get a bigger boat... smile
Omega Man

Charlton Heston vs. Zombies

I laughed so hard,.....

did you get any booger.
don't lye

Beer out the nose!

Was it in a station wagon??
Posted By: ERK Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20
6 years old and a werewolf movie. Damn near couldn’t go 2 miles home in the daylight. Would love to know how fast an old bike can really go. Lol ed k
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20
Signs. M Night Shyamalan's movie with Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix. When they flashed the pic of the Alien on the roof of the barn, my sphincter tightened excessively...
Posted By: DBT Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20
Wolf Creek is a depiction of the sort of horror that has happened to people in the Australian outback.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20

I laughed so hard,.....

did you get any booger.
don't lye

lol,...nah,..
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I had a great time watching my older sister being terrified as we watched Trilogy of Terror.

lol remember seeing that.

the deer hunter has more to do with what's in your mind when you have to survive.
My wedding video. Still sends chills down my spine.
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I have yet to see it. It was filmed on the abandoned section of the old PA Turnplke that runs by just a couple miles from here along Sideling Hill Ridge.

It was about a major extinction event, like the Permian-Triassic extinction event (massive and widespread volcanic activity) that killed off most species of plant and animal life on earth. It centered on how one particular family (mostly just father and son) coped with survival in those circumstances.

lol remember seeing that.

Yep, I remember that well. Super scary.
Never thought of “Omega Man” or “Soylent Green” as horror movies. I do own “The Shining” and “Psycho” though. I do like the classics.
We’ve got a pretty good collection of DVDs, mostly Western and a few of the better WW2 films.
But, as I said, horror movies were never on my radar. Carol had nightmares from the witch in “Wizard of Ozz”, and Penny’s a nurse. She see’s enough death and doesn’t like it in movies.
7mm
The Fog......
Posted By: Starman Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20

Posted By: Jericho Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20
an early 90s movie "Jacobs Ladder" made me jump a couple of times when I watched it the first time. Have it on blue ray here some where.
Wolfen scared me back in the day. the other one I remember was "The 6th Sense". so damned slow, and soft spoken, and understated. ended up scaring the crap out of me.
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Saw the Exorcist with 6 of my biggest toughest friends. We all went home and slept with the lights on ...

After I saw The Omen I slept with the lights on and I was 21 years old.
Posted By: Starman Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20

You sayn it's the devells work.. That he climbs
like a man possessed?

Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
I watched "The Exorcist" at the movie theater when I was 13 I think, scared the [bleep] out of me!

Just the image of the priest silhouetted outside the
home at night in the light/ fog with that music is iconic
and have lasting impact, and enough to give some
a reminder/the creeps without even watching the
movie again.

Originally they were going to cast big name actors like
Brando, Nicholson and Hepburn, but decided on some
unknowns so the movie could prove itself on Its own
merits.

If one watches the behind the scenes making
of the movie...like where they are applying the
spec. effects to Linda Blair it takes the edge
off the movie somewhat.

Salem's Lot.
Some good entertaining movies on the list but none are scary. I guess you have to believe in that nonsense to be scared by it.
Not a fan of this genre but for me, Psycho, specifically the shower scene. Hitchcock set the scene and provided all the components for the viewer to construct his own most terrifying scene.

What scared me most was Invaders from Mars, 1953. A bad indie film. I was probably 7 and watched it on TV with the older kids. Young David was awakened by a thunderstorm just in time to see a UFO land in a nearby field. Every adult that investigates is taken over by an alien (of course). Finally David is being chased down a tunnel screaming his head off when his parents wake him from the nightmare. Reassured he settles down and goes to sleep just in time (you guessed it) to be awakened by a thunderstorm... Is it live or is it Memorex? That little twist got me thinking.
Posted By: wango Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20
The Howling .
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This movie would scare hell out of you if you were seven years old. Gave me nightmares for years.
Oh yeah. How could I have forgotten Poltergeist. When I first saw that, it was real spooky.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20
Corona 2020 is pretty scary. Oooooh the boogeyman
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Wolfen scared me back in the day. the other one I remember was "The 6th Sense". so damned slow, and soft spoken, and understated. ended up scaring the crap out of me.

Another good one. Only problem with it is that you can only really watch it once. Once you know Bruce Willis is a ghost, the plot is ruined for a rewatch.
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs

After I saw The Omen I slept with the lights on and I was 21 years old.

What about Rosemary's Baby?
My mother's name is Rosemary.

I AM Rosemary's Baby.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I AM Rosemary's Baby.

Do you have hoofed feet?
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20

I remember the mini-series "Salem's Lot" being pretty intense.

For me "Jaws" was pretty bad because I had seen it as a teen and never been to the ocean. My older sister dug her nails into my BIL's arm when he was trying to scare her during the movie. That was funny.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20
Alien was pretty intense too. I was stationed at Ft. Benning in 1979 and a buddy of mine and I went in to Columbus to watch it. The movie theatre was pretty empty but there was a guy sitting in front of us. Everytime something happened he would jump and almost come over the seat.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 02/29/20

Back when our son was little he used to relish sneaking back to his older sister's bedrooms a few minutes after they had turned the lights off and were in bed and play the Michael Myers entry theme notes from the Halloween movie on his little battery powered keyboard outside their closed doors. eek cry ... whistle grin
Originally Posted by joken2

Back when our son was little he used to relish sneaking back to his older sister's bedrooms a few minutes after they had turned the lights off and were in bed and play the Michael Myers entry theme notes from the Halloween movie on his little battery powered keyboard outside their closed doors. eek cry ... whistle grin

Bwahahahaha! grin
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 03/01/20
"Frankenstein's Army", a 2013 Czech movie about a squad of Russian infantrymen who, in 1945 east Germany, happen upon the lab of a deranged German scientist re-animating the dead with special 'powers'. Super gory and creepy, and kind of shocking when you consider that it is entirely plausible that it could have been. Well worth watching.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 03/01/20
Another one I like is "The Bunker" German soldiers taking refuge in an abandoned bunker and war fatigue starts taking its toll on them thinking the bunker is haunted and it really isnt
A two-minute rant from Peelosi after botox injection.
Anything by Michael Moore...
Posted By: Steve Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 03/01/20
Originally Posted by Jericho
an early 90s movie "Jacobs Ladder" made me jump a couple of times when I watched it the first time. Have it on blue ray here some where.

That one was pretty freaky.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 03/01/20
An the winner is,,,,,
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 03/01/20
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Not a fan of this genre but for me, Psycho, specifically the shower scene. Hitchcock set the scene and provided all the components for the viewer to construct his own most terrifying scene.

What scared me most was Invaders from Mars, 1953. A bad indie film. I was probably 7 and watched it on TV with the older kids. Young David was awakened by a thunderstorm just in time to see a UFO land in a nearby field. Every adult that investigates is taken over by an alien (of course). Finally David is being chased down a tunnel screaming his head off when his parents wake him from the nightmare. Reassured he settles down and goes to sleep just in time (you guessed it) to be awakened by a thunderstorm... Is it live or is it Memorex? That little twist got me thinking.

I forgot all about that one. It's the one with the ALIEN leaded under a bell jar or something right? And the big goonie/goofy guys that didn't run like normal things do.

Scared the bejeesus out of me that night.

Geno

PS it's not a bad indie film, it's wonderful and I watch it every time I notice it's on!

PPS Beaver's mom was in that movie too!
Don't think this one's been mentioned.
Posted By: cfran Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 03/01/20
Originally Posted by EIB0879

For me "Jaws" was pretty bad because I had seen it as a teen and never been to the ocean. My older sister dug her nails into my BIL's arm when he was trying to scare her during the movie. That was funny.

Salem’s lot freaked me out as a kid.
Originally Posted by cfran
Originally Posted by EIB0879

Salem’s lot freaked me out as a kid.

Tap tap tap...,open the window....
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Don't think this one's been mentioned.

Yep. That was a great one. But like The Sixth Sense, you can only really enjoy it once, due to the huge plot twist.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I AM Rosemary's Baby.

Do you have hoofed feet?

I saw that movie at the theatre when it came out in 1968, I had a date. I must say that movie scared the hell out of me. Guy sold his wife out to be banged by Satan to advance his movie career.
As we were leaving the theatre, I turned to my date and said, "My mother's name is Rosemary. I AM Rosemary's baby."
I thought that was pretty funny but she didn't think so.

Motel Hell,, Rory Calhoon,,,
Never saw Salem's Lot. The trailers look good.
The Witch was creepy. Forgot about that one.
Originally Posted by waterrat

Motel Hell,, Rory Calhoon,,,

Yep. There may have been another one about a younger couple who were cannibals, too, and also appeared like a regular middle class couple.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 03/01/20
The ol lady says " the divide" was pretty rough.

I tried to watch it and right in the middle lost power
Posted By: hookeye Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 03/01/20
Black Devil Doll

Lmfao

Hes a mofuggin puppet!
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I forgot all about that one. It's the one with the ALIEN leaded under a bell jar or something right? And the big goonie/goofy guys that didn't run like normal things do.

Scared the bejeesus out of me that night.

Geno

PS it's not a bad indie film, it's wonderful and I watch it every time I notice it's on!

PPS Beaver's mom was in that movie too!

That's the movie. We were living at Ft. Ritchie, MD in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Housing was about half way up the mountain which had a communications tower on top with a typical blinking red light/ could see it from my bed. Every so often as I was drifting off it would catch my eye and remind me of the was it a dream or was it real ending. In spite of knowing it was a comm tower - I had hiked up there.
X Files episode "Home"
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Scariest Movie of All Time - 03/15/20
The fourth kind was real intense.
© 24hourcampfire