Home
The old Gillette safety razors. There must have been millions of them made, now a rare collector's item.
Medical grade face masks...
Volkswagen Bugs...
Cans of R-12 and 22

Elderly husbands when the wife says, "We need to ....".
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The old Gillette safety razors. There must have been millions of them made, now a rare collector's item.

Oddly enough I have an old blade from Dad’s razor and a thimble from Mom’s sewing box on a shelf to remember them by. Among other things.
Real men.
Me
I have never seen a catface in the woods
Pay phones
Manual transmission pickups
Three on the tree
Metal saltine cracker cans, aka general purpose storage devices.
Oversized Lee Enfield bolt heads! Impossible to find, but would be oh so nice to have.

i collect a lot of things. one of those items is safety razors, particularly military issue ones.
one in the collection is from WWI, has a man's name in pencil on the box. has the collapsable razor inside, and some blades still in the wrappers. Also acquired at the same time was the man's dog tags.
why somebody would put that on ebay, i don't know, but i bought them.
Originally Posted by auk1124
Oversized Lee Enfield bolt heads! Impossible to find, but would be oh so nice to have.

i wish i had some of those too.
Originally Posted by papat

Oddly enough I have an old blade from Dad’s razor and a thimble from Mom’s sewing box on a shelf to remember them by. Among other things.

i have the old gillette brown blades, plus the blue blades. and the thimbles.
includes a sewing machine with a foot peddle dating back at least to the 30's when it was last used, along with the thread, needles, etc.
8 track tape players. Even cassette tape players. VHR players/recorders
300 Savage ammo.
Foot peddled sewing machines. Wife said they were made like tanks, and could sew through anything.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Metal saltine cracker cans, aka general purpose storage devices.

i have a stick match holder, probably over 100years old. made out of two metallic 10guage shotgun casings, one cut down to make a cap for the other casings.
i never have used it, afraid of loosing it.
how about a WWI sight adjustment tool for a 1903, or a 1880's calvary rifle scabbard?
Single tree and double tree.

Nothing makes a better gambrell for beef, hogs, or game than an old oak single tree.
Mercedes Benz 300 SL Gull Wing coupes!

(The real ones! - only 1,400 made between 1954-57)
Non computerized vehicles
Velvet cans for fishing worms in your shirt pocket.
Push button automatic transmissions.
Throttle control knobs on the dash so you could keep the engine revved a bit, while you stepped out and pushed.

It was interesting times to be alive or die.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Velvet cans for fishing worms in your shirt pocket.

Prince Albert, here. My dad rolled his own.

My mother had a Singer pedal sewing machine. My wife sewed her wedding dress on one at a neighbor's cabin on our remote river site 42 years ago, and there is one sitting in our living room right now - her grandmother's.
Beepers
Wabigoon: A friend and fellow gun-nut gave me a package of Marlin (with the Marlin Firearms logo on it!) safety razor blades last summer!
I miss a lot of things from the 50's and 60's - top of that list is the fantastic Zephyr binoculars made by the Bausch & Lomb Company at their Rochester, New York plant.
I have put together maybe 13 (thirteen) pairs of them and plan on dispersing them to the VarmintKids and VarmintGrandkids when the end of my trail is in view.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Mark and Toby! You can’t get much odder and there’s only one each! 😇😇😇😇
Dial telephones, vacuum tubes, Coca Cola with cocaine, alcohol and codeine in it (until early 40s I think). Heathkits, 57 Bel Aires.
Single shot .22s used to be in racks in the back of every gun shop, and they couldn't give them away. The shops would try to include them in trades just to liquidate their stock. Now if you even see one they want a war price for it. I looked for several years recently for a cheaper one to use shorts in for pests, that was under 200 bucks. I finally found a Glenfield that needed work, but I had to put sights on it, and a trigger guard. It shoots good now, but it wasn't as cheap as it should have been.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
8 track tape players. Even cassette tape players. VHR players/recorders

.....and turn tables. Vinyl records too.

Funny that this is the OP.
It's what went through my head reading the title.

Just got into using them, want to try some of the old ones,
But I'm buying users. Collectors can have them.

Scored a 1912 brass one this week. $8. Open comb type, I was a bit
nervous using it. Did great, no cuts.

What ever made the older folk pitch them and start buying
dispo$ibles? Or were they not so darn expensive back then.
35mm film cans and 16mm film cans

2lb metal coffee cans

newspaper-- stopped taking a paper over 10 years ago.

Pop tops.

glass milk bottles
ash trays
smoking pipe ash tray/pipe holder
cigarette machines
payphones
1 pound coffee cans
1 gallon ice cream containers
Old friends that don't forget the good times we had together.
Those old gillette safety razors, my grandfather used them, he had a little slot in the medicine cabinet that you would dispose of your dull blades in. There was no catch can they just fell inside the walls. Hate to do a remodel and find all those razors.
Originally Posted by Rugies
Those old gillette safety razors, my grandfather used them, he had a little slot in the medicine cabinet that you would dispose of your dull blades in. There was no catch can they just fell inside the walls. Hate to do a remodel and find all those razors.

I've gathered that was pretty standard.
Been pondering this, as it applies to guns, but it fits everything.

Highly desired collectible stuff follows several patterns.
The most common ones are

Stuff that became obsolete, got junked, now people want what's left.

Or.

Freaks.
Junk
Stupid schidt that was made in limited quantities, because it was
stupid shidt that no one wanted.

Ruger Hawkeye pistols/256win.
Boat paddle stocks. Sorry. If they sold like gangbusters, they would
have never quit making the ugly things.

Remington pump rifles in varmint cartridges. Really?
Lever guns in varmit...

Heck, the pre 64, Model 12, Model 88, Savage 99.
It was multiple issues with these, but if demand was high and
would have supported necessary price increases, they would
have kept cranking them out.

Not trying to troll.
I actually believe this.
I just put my thick coat on.
Originally Posted by Billc
Manual transmission pickups
Got a few here.
Common sense.
8 foot bed on a friggin pickup.
Vacuum tubes, vinyl records and turn tables are all still in production and relatively easy to find.

I can buy the records and turn tables at Barnes and Noble 7 days a week. Tubes are still en vogue for guitar amps.
Cigarette lighters in cars.
Pre 1986 NFA wpns.
Kinda fugged up LE and class3 types can get modern NFA made wpns.
But Joe average is limited to existing registered pre 86 wpns with all the correct requirements in order.....

And the price of pre 86 NFA wpns is outragous due to limited #,s that exist on registry available for sale.

Fugging bullschitt......
Bumping off the shoulder just aint the same.....
Wind up watches and clocks
Post cards.
Fish skin rubbers.

Colgate after shave

Royal Crown hair dressing.

Salami slices cut off the tube.

Evening in Paris perfume (from country stores)

Lava soap in every restroom.

Telling the truth no matter what.

Drip coffee pots.

Hood ornaments and radiator caps.
B westerns.
Smoking out behind the barn.

Stealing drip from oilfield locations to put in your 1947 Willis jeep cause you afford to buy gasoline as a 12 year old.

Putting a dead Cottonmouth mocassin by a doorstep and waiting until the person came outside.
Senses of humor
Thick skin
Actually winning to get a trophy
Being able to say anything without someone getting butthurt.
Gone, the six player girls basketball.
Regular cab , short bed pickups

Mike
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Single tree and double tree.

Nothing makes a better gambrell for beef, hogs, or game than an old oak single tree.

take a look
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
[quote=wabigoon]

What ever made the older folk pitch them and start buying
dispo$ibles? Or were they not so darn expensive back then.

It was because those old blades mostly sucked. The razors themselves were great, but the blades were awful. Disposables were a game changer when they came out. Now, though, modern safety razor blades are for the most part really, really good.

We are in a golden age of safety razor shaving right now.
And forget Harry's.

I shave about 4x a week. Give or take, depends on mood or meetings at work. Bought a 100 pack of Feather blades and 2 cakes of soap 5 years ago. Still using them.

With modern safety razors, I spend about 10 bucks a YEAR to shave. Cheaper than the "shave club".
bottle openers and kitchen match dispensers mounted on the cabinets.
For that matter - "Strike anywhere" matches that do.
Bottle openers affixed to the kitchen cabinets.
Women that cook! laugh
People not covered in tattoos
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Bottle openers affixed to the kitchen cabinets.

Sorry, Mark. You already had that one.
Those big hats women wore to church. laugh
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
People not covered in tattoos

Lmao. Only dirt bags and criminals have tattoos.
Originally Posted by papat

Tiny mementos that are brimming over with the most incredible amount of unending love, a wonderful way to remember, and cherish them both.

Lynn
Film cameras
One hour photo labs

Burma Shave Signs
Women in nylon stockings, held up with girdle, or garter belt.
Slide Rules
Miter boxes and hand saws, instead of chop saws. Had two pieces of detailed moulding to cut, grabbed the old saw / box. The neighbor had never seen one! He is late twenties! Things change fast.
A Boner that could drill through steel at 19 years of age....😬😎
P38 can opener and the C rats that they came in
© 24hourcampfire