Home
my doctor recommended pneumonia and shingles vaccine for me , not sure if i need it. any opinions against it?
how old are you?
Posted By: WTF Re: pneumonia and shingles vaccine - 03/04/20
Just get it
I took the pneumavax today and the zostavax several years ago and would definitely go for it, PD.

I had a pneumonia vac 7-8 years ago. Had a touch of shingles that I got on meds for within 24 hrs.

I dont want either and I get the flu vac every year.
After seeing what my father went through with the shingles, I didn’t hesitate to get the vaccine.
I got them. Seems like a good idea.
I got the latest shingles one. It and the booster kinda kick my ass for a day. But it's a lot better than what I seen people with full blown shingles go though.

I wouldn't hesitate.

Haven't gotten the pneumonia one yet.
Did the pneumonia vaccine 1 year ago. Working with damn insurance company on shingles, so far no go.
Posted By: RAS Re: pneumonia and shingles vaccine - 03/04/20
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Did the pneumonia vaccine 1 year ago. Working with damn insurance company on shingles, so far no go.

See what it costs and maybe drop the coin if you can.
Originally Posted by PHWILLIE
how old are you?

Originally Posted by persiandog
how old are you?

Don't hesitate.
I think Walgreens has shingle shots for around $60
Originally Posted by persiandog
how old are you?

Pneumovax was $0.00 for me today with the MCare PD.
Originally Posted by Steve
I got the latest shingles one. It and the booster kinda kick my ass for a day. But it's a lot better than what I seen people with full blown shingles go though.

I wouldn't hesitate.

I've seen some who got medical TX within the prescribed 72 hours still have bad illness for 6-12 mo. Even with TX some still suffer from post herpetic neuralgia.
Originally Posted by Steve

I wouldn't hesitate.

This. Got the first (of two) of the latest shingles vaccine last week, felt like schidt for the next couple of days. Pharmacist warning was accurate. Really not looking forward to the second shot but shingles isn't to be messed with.
I got the Pneumovax Friday last week, at Wally World, cost 180 $ , because of C 19 virus, arm sore for four days. I had the shingles two years ago, I think Dr, said to wait few years before I could get shot, I do remember something about don.t take them together, Robert
GET THE SHOTS!!!! ASAP!
Get the shots. Better safe than sorry.
If your doc advises, get them.
looks like everyone is in favor , i will get the shots as soon as I can.

thanks to all.
Got them
I'm 67 and Have had 'em both. Glad I did.

Virgil B.
Got both at the same time. Then got the 2nd shingles about 2 months later.

DO IT
If your insurance doesn't cover shingles vaccine, see what the price would be with a Good Rx coupon at Kroger, Publix, Walgreen, etc. I plan to get the shingles vaccine at Kroger pharmacy for $35 less than at my doctor's office. Also check Good Rx prices for prescriptions that your insurance gives minimal discounts on. I've been surprised at some of the discounts we've gotten.
Just don't plan on anything for a day or two after that senior shingles shot and don't get it the same time as the wife gets hers. We had a three day holiday weekend planned, but made the mistake of getting the shingles shots on Friday and it cancelled the weekend. We staggered the booster a few months later so that only one of us was wiped out at a time. The pharmacist who gave us the shots ($45.00 each with insurance) told his wife that she wouldn't like him the day after the shingles shot. Way preferable to shingles from everyone I've talked to who has had them. Sis had them on her face and could have been blinded!!! The pneumonia shot was a non-issue.
Got the pneumonia, no shingle shot
I got the first of the two shingles shots last month. I had no side effects except for a sore shoulder for about 4 days. Will get the booster sometime in May.
I took the 1st injection of the shingles vaccine Monday. Be prepared for your arm to ache for a couple of days.
Aspirin will help with soreness.
Good decision, persiandog. You may be sore or a bit sickly for a bit, but it is by far the wise move to get them.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I took the pneumavax today and the zostavax several years ago and would definitely go for it, PD.

I had a pneumonia vac 7-8 years ago. Had a touch of shingles that I got on meds for within 24 hrs.

I dont want either and I get the flu vac every year.

You should still get the Shingrix vaccine. That’s the newer one.
Thanks, Iron. I will check into that.

Got shingle 3 months after returning from Iraq. Got lucky Dr discovered it while getting a check up

Ended up with a very mild case due to finding it so early. Several years later I was walking with a WW2

Veteran, he was in his 80,s and he got it. He had a terrible case, 18 months later he was still fighting it.
I've taken both. Shingles knocked me down for 24hrs but no problem since then. Both my PCP and pharmacist recommended wife and I take them. No regrets here.
When I had a case of shingles, doc put me on acyclovir. WORST headache of my life. Almost not worth it.
Get the shots.
YOU DO NOT WANT SHINGLES.
Watched my wife go though it a few years ago.
Worst pain ever.
DON'T MESS WITH IT.
If you’ve had the chicken pox and are over fifty, I’d not hesitate to get the “shingles” vacc. That same old chicken pox virus is with you for life, lying dormant in the dorsal horns of mostly your thoracic spinal cord just awaiting their resurrection and traveling laterally along your nerve roots to cause you all kinds of pain and misery.

Can occur on the legs, around the abdomen, even on the face, but mostly around your chest. You’ll rue the day you decided against the vacc if these little beasties wake up.

As to the flu vacc, yeah. Flu is misery in anyone and in mature folks can lead to pneumonia and death in short order esp if you have other co-morbidities such as hypertension, diabetes, obesity, tobacco abuse, etc. the vacc covers most flu viruses but not always all.
Got the prevnar 13
The shingrix is way pricey so far. Friends didnt seem to have bad reactions when they got theirs
© 24hourcampfire