Home
Let's make it of the "modern" era so we're not talking Gorgeous George or some pogue nobody's ever heard of. In fact, let's define it as people active from 1997 to today.

I'll say Stone Cold Steve Austin. No doubt Hulk Hogan like him or not, really changed wrestling, but I think Austin tops him. Stone Cold, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Ric Flair.
Andre the Giant.
My guess is John Cena would probably be the most recognizable today.
Macho Man!
Hogan or Andre’, not even close.
Rick Flair
Those guys aren't wrestlers - Dan Gable is a wrestler!
Other than the Minnesota governor, all in my time were ruled out.
Andre the Giant died four years before 1997.
Aleksandr Karelin

Tryone, yes Gable was a wrestler. I think he has passed.

Big, strong, athlete's, but a scripted show.
Most famous, or most Awesome?....

Since 97 kind of cuts down on some of The Greats.
Triple H should not be over-looked in the ‘modern era’.
Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Most famous, or most Awesome?....

Since 97 kind of cuts down on some of The Greats.
Triple H should not be over-looked in the ‘modern era’.
Most famous from 1997 to now. That was what I asked. Per usual...
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Macho Man!

OH YEAH . . .

I always like Dick the Bruiser but that was back during B&W TV I think - and before '97.
Gotta be Hogan on sheer fame /status recognition. Had a whole reality show, etc.
Gable. Went to Waterloo West High. ISU. Olympic champ. Coached U of Iowa to the most incredible dynasty ever. 181-1 high school and college. Only defeat was his very last college match. He is 71 and still alive. All hail the greatest ever. Yes, I was born, raised and wrestled in Iowa.

1997 to now -- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.
There's no one more "Famous" than Hogan and or Andre of any era. They both are Cultural Icons known well outside the world of wrestling.
Originally Posted by papat
Gable. Went to Waterloo West High. ISU. Olympic champ. Coached U of Iowa to the most incredible dynasty ever. 181-1 high school and college. Only defeat was his very last college match. He is 71 and still alive. All hail the greatest ever. Yes, I was born, raised and wrestled in Iowa.

Dresser is bringing Iowa State back, lookout Hawkeyes!
Ivan Putski by a landslide!
Originally Posted by 2five7

The Rock...
Originally Posted by FatCity67
There's no one more "Famous" than Hogan and or Andre of any era. They both are Cultural Icons known well outside the world of wrestling.

Think you'd have to add Bruno Saamartino (sp?) for those of the 50s decade.
Not quite what was asked, the honest answer, Jacob, and a worthy opponent at that. Oops, too old , I forgot.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
One has to wonder how much coke Flair snorted up before that one.
Sorry, but pro wrestling is such bullshit. Complete fakery. The greatest wrestler of all-time? Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson, John Smith, Jordan Burroughs or maybe some Russian. Take your pick.
Gable is and was the best.I watched Pistol Pez Whatley wrestle in HS, college and then pro. He was a heck of a HS HW in Chattanooga.
The dead man deserves a mention for sure.

But probably the rock,hogan and stone cold are the most recognized.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Andre the Giant died four years before 1997.

True.

But the Legend Lives On!

Alla them other guys.....................Marketing!

Geno
I seen Andre the Giant at CiCi’s pizza. He lives!!!
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Sorry, but pro wrestling is such bullshit. Complete fakery. The greatest wrestler of all-time? Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson, John Smith, Jordan Burroughs or maybe some Russian. Take your pick.
You're a f u cking retard.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Sheeeeeettt! You saw Bigfoot there too! laugh

Sssshhhh!

Y'all don't want a bucha fans cloggin up the place eatin' alla them cinnamon rolls renegade likes, do ya?

Geno

PS...I think I seen him eatin' lunch with The King, and Roy too, down at the Chinee place last time I was in Vegas.
Were it not for Cowboy Bob Kelly blazing trails for them, you wouldn't know any of the "famous" ones.

If that is the persona of slumlord, I'm falling in line behind him. Everyone has got to have their own heroes. I guess maybe I may not always reach as high as I should of, I don't know.

Call names all you want but pro-"wrestling" is a complete fraud and we both know it. Fraud and fakery don't entertain me. Give me real wrestling, real competition any day over the fake stuff. Hulk Hogan? Dr. Death? Neither would've lasted 30 seconds with Bruce Baumgartner or Alexander Karelin. In fact, Baumgarter wrestled "Dr. Death" in college and kicked his ass six ways from Sunday.
Haystack Calhoun.

A ‘97 cutoff is BS, Ethan.
wink
Sky Low Low , Superstar Billy Graham, Gorilla Monsoon,Argentina Rocca
Originally Posted by ironbender
Haystack Calhoun.

wink

Well, I'll be an SOB..............how could I have forgotten ol' Haystack.

Geno

Call names all you want but pro-"wrestling" is a complete fraud and we both know it. Fraud and fakery don't entertain me. Give me real wrestling, real competition any day over the fake stuff. Hulk Hogan? Dr. Death? Neither would've lasted 30 seconds with Bruce Baumgartner or Alexander Karelin. In fact, Baumgarter wrestled "Dr. Death" in college and kicked his ass six ways from Sunday.

Next you'll be telling us Roller Derby wasn't real too.

Pooper........Party Pooper you are alright.

Geno
Macho Man!!
I know nothing about the subject, but I know Andre' the Giant. I'd say around the World this would hold true.

It's entertainment. It's acting. Why compare it to real wrestling? I don't watch it often. If I happen to channel surf into it, I might watch it. I do have respect for the strength, athleticism, agility, toughness and acting ability of the participants.
Me thinks many don't understand the concept of Most Famous.
Dan Gable period.

Guess I am too. Call it wrestling entertainment, and no doubt those guys have athleticism, but it ain't wrestling.
Honky tonk man, cause he smashed everyone with his guitar, even the referee when they weren't looking, I would of done the same, who wouldn't?
Originally Posted by hanco
Macho Man!!

Na, Randy Savage (MM) was OK, but Hulk, Jimmy superfly, Andre way better known.

Who was the Japanese coach/manager, Mr ......, he was brutal ?
Mr Fuji !!

Of course not. Like any other question on here, it’s read as “my favorite”. smile
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ
Ivan Putski by a landslide!

I remember him doing a promo where he put his back against a wall and his feet on the bumper of an El Camino. Driver got in the care put it in gear and started white smoking the tires. Ivan just smiled and held him.

Another couple strong men were the Iron Sheik and Hercules Ayalla, not sure on the spelling of Hercules last name.
Haystacks Calhoun.
Originally Posted by LJBass
Originally Posted by 2five7

The Rock...

He’s famous to the point that a lot of people probably don’t even realize he was a wrestler
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Haystack Calhoun.

wink

Geno

Bruno Samartino?

We’re showing our age, Geno! wink
Latka bitch slapped by the King.

Fritz Von Eric and the iron claw......sportatorium in ft worth back in early 70’s.
It's a soap opera for men!!!!
Nothing more.
Nothing less.
Good entertainment!!!

Liked the NWO Wolf Pack myself.

Scott Hall getting some air from Stone Cold here:

Lol!!!

Baron Von Raschke ,,The Claw!!!

It was great when I was a kid...
Mr Fuji died here in Clarksville

Guess that’s better than leaving this Earth from Billings
When I was a kid in the 60's and early 70's there was a guy named Dick the Bruiser who was famous locally in my part of the midwest .
Robin Reed! Google him.
Most recognisable by people who don't even watch would be Dwayne Johnson
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Other than the Minnesota governor, all in my time were ruled out.

Does that include Farmer Marlin?...Verne Gagne?...the Kamalkoff brothers< Kinse Schebua,...and others?
Andre. Everybody knew Andre.
JYD (Junk Yard Dog) and the patented “crawling head butt”
I think the Fabulous Moolah wrestled until she was 97...
Haystack Calhoun.

wink

Yeah!

Ya cant even talk Big Time Wrestling without mentioning The Sheik, BoBo Brazil, The Junkyard Dog, Sargent Slaughter & the like.
WHOOO!!!! Nature boy Ric Flair. For you real wrestling fans who say Cael Sanderson Karelin Gable those 3 tough as they are would be cannon fodder for Stan Hansen Harley Race and Terry Bam Bam Gordy.
George 'The Animal" Steele.

He ate turnbuckles.

He had a green tongue.

Both good and bad guys feared him.
Texas Rattlesnake
Where I grew up the best was Jerry "The King" Lawler. I quit watching before I was 18 though. He beat them all in Memphis.
Bronko Nagurski for you really old (or dead) guys....
Not sure of the greatest title but Hacksaw Jim Duggan was always entertaining.
It took several guys to hold it and keep it together. Many of those include Andre, Hulk Hogan, Cena, the Undertaker, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, and yeah, maybe even the Rock.
Wild Bull Curry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfCx9YyXu5Q
Originally Posted by benchman
Andre. Everybody knew Andre.

Yeah, with The Hulkster a close second or even tied.
Greg The Hammer Valentine, dropped the figure four on Hulk Hogan. But again.... pre-97. Post 97 I would have said HH, but since someone said The Rick, it’s probably him - all time. Gorgeous George to present. He’s been in so many films and everything. He could be, and likely is, the MOST “famous” wrestler, of all time.
Ultimate warrior , Hawk and Animal , Diamond Dallas Page , Snuka was awesome coming off the top of the ropes .
Slim the Hillbilly grin

Originally Posted by Tyrone

Originally Posted by Tyrone

I bet they was with Elvis !
Here's honky with one of his signature wrestling moves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGbOnn4v08g
Originally Posted by rrconductor
Gable is and was the best.I watched Pistol Pez Whatley wrestle in HS, college and then pro. He was a heck of a HS HW in Chattanooga.

Cael Sanderson NEVER lost bis whole life
Even in retirement/death, Hogan and Andre without a doubt.

After that

Ric Flair
The Rock
Undertaker
John Cena
Stone Cold
Lots of folks know Lesnar because of UFC.
When I was a kid, it was Bruno Sammartino. WWWF Champion from 1963-1971.

[Linked Image from d1ngmla7rol335.cloudfront.net]
There is no doubt, but I expected no less. lol

Call names all you
Okay. You're a cock slathering shi tbird.
I’m sure there are enough ‘Cans around that Rey Mysterio should garner an honorable mention.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Haystack Calhoun.

wink

Geno

Bruno Samartino?

We’re showing our age, Geno! wink

Mom thought ol' Haystack was a hoot.

Geno

PS and she absolutely loved the Roller Derby

PPS and she weren't no hick either..........a proper NYC gal she was.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’m sure there are enough ‘Cans around that Rey Mysterio should garner an honorable mention.

Lucha Libre. laugh

Coming out of TJ on Saturday nights on the Mexico feed................right after the bullfights . Or maybe those were on Sunday from the TJ Bullring.

Old days of TV antennae. We had to have a tall one for most local channels, and one about halfway up the mast to pick up one San Diego station, it also picked up the TJ station.

Now we have Univision and others.

Geno
Let's make it of the "modern" era so we're not talking Gorgeous George or some pogue nobody's ever heard of. In fact, let's define it as people active from 1997 to today.

I'll say Stone Cold Steve Austin. No doubt Hulk Hogan like him or not, really changed wrestling, but I think Austin tops him. Stone Cold, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Ric Flair.

...............Well I think ya go with Hulkster Hogan not only before '97 but afterwards too. Then Steve Austin. As for my favorite to watch? Bill Goldberg.....
© 24hourcampfire