Home
Hey guys I’m about to purchase a new shotgun that will be used for turkeys as well as close range predators. I am a bit torn between pump and semi automatic ... but I have it narrowed down to three semis below and would like some feedback since I have never owned a semi before. Trying to keep the purchase under $750. Feel free to recommend other guns if not on my list

Would like the barrel length to be 22 to 24 inches.

-Tristar Viper G2
-Mossberg 930
-Mossberg SA-20
-Weatherby SA-459
-Weatherby SA-08
-Stoeger m3000/mk3 (I hear mixed reviews)
-Winchester SX 2,3 or 4

I know for turkeys a 20ga would be a non-issue because all of my shots are under 35 yards or so. I just want to make sure I can flatten a coyote out to ~50 yards, so a 12 might be better for me??....

Why isn't an 870 on the list, that would be the only pump to consider

and 870, a good choke, some tss, and couple hundred bucks left in your pocket.

I wouldn't go too cheap on a semi, the beretta a300 is about as cheap as I would go. You can get that in your price range.
I use a 20 for turkeys, and have no problem killing them in the 40-45 yard range, although I prefer closer. The problem with a 20 and coyotes is going to be the ammo, as I don't think they make much in the way of larger shot ammo. I've killed coyotes while turkey hunting, all with the 12 gauge and all with 5 or 6 size shot, although it took a few rounds to kill them. I think you need the 12 if coyotes are going to be hunted.

As far as the guns you mention, I'd take a long look at the Winchester first. I don't care for the Mossbergs, and same deal with the Stoeger,
Originally Posted by killerv
Why isn't an 870 on the list, that would be the only pump to consider

I should have clarified, the 870 is definitely on my consideration list. I just need some clarification regarding the listed semi automatics, and semi automatics in general since I have not owned one in the past. It will likely come down to whatever semi automatic has the highest recommendation and I will put that against the 870
Beretta A300
A300s are sweet, little more difficult to find one with a shorter barrel though
Originally Posted by scottprice
A300s are sweet, little more difficult to find one with a shorter barrel though

I wouldn't worry about one, get a 26'' and be done with it, be a good all around shotgun.
Your list from the bottom up is my preference.
Only ever used an 835

Hate to drag a fancy pants shotgun on my hands and knees through cow patties, fire ant mounds, through barbed wire, etc
There's a nice condition used Beretta 390 12ga Syn stocks, matte black metal pretty sure it's 26" bbl @ Brotherhood Arms in Watertown SD sitting on the shelf for $450. It'd be worth your time and effort to give them a jingle and ask them whatever questions you have. I have no affiliation with the shop, just stop in when I can. IMO, good folks running that shop and they have a really good selection for lots of stuff.
Snatch (run and grab) the shotgun above. That is the cheapest I have seen a beretta 390 listed. I have one, and love it.
I have used an 11/87 for close to 20 years now. Replaced the gas O rings once or twice. It has been flaw-less. I sometimes grab a different shotgun out of the safe to mix it up, but it is not because it is better. I use a Jeb’s choke and Federal 2 oz of #4.

It gets fed 3” 4 buck for coyotes and has been a hammer.

A very nice one just sold on here for around 550. I’ve seen them much cheaper.
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
11/87

O-Rings and those STUPID fingers that retain shells in the magazine are pined into place are reason enough to skip everything Remington 1100/11-87/11-96 related. Not to mention that with the steel receiver they're WAY heavy.
I'm of the opinion that cheaper is better.

I shoot a Mossberg 500 that I got out of the scratch-n-dent bin. Everyone at camp shoots either a Mossy 500 or Rem 870.
Originally Posted by Lorin
Snatch (run and grab) the shotgun above. That is the cheapest I have seen a beretta 390 listed. I have one, and love it.

that would be good one, they did have some cheaper "walmart" versions of the 390 but the guts are pretty much the same. Only real difference is no magazine cutoff, (which I use a lot on my xtrema2 when turkey hunting) and they usually come with a plastic buttplate, I'd definitely recommend finding a nice recoil pad for it before shooting turkey loads. The cheapest I've seen these used is maybe 400 and usually beat up.
I use a Mossberg Mod. 935, in their Turkey model, which will take 3.5" shells. Very effective on turkeys. Since you will be shooting very likely from a sitting position, a semiauto helps to mitigate recoil. With Winchester Long Beard XR loads and a Jelly Head choke, this shotgun throws incredibly uniform, tight patterns, and has accounted for a half-dozen toms so far.
get an old beater 12 g with a full choke, cover it in camo cloth, good to go
Turkeys here in Tn are ass holes

They don’t fall for that sittin in a pup-tent, sawing alway at Turkey in the Straw on a slate bullchit with a $1000 piece of walnut in your lap.
The best semi-auto shotgun I've ever owned is a Benelli SBE2. I have quit shooting mine for one reason, and one only.........I found that you didn't need the punishment of a 3 1/2 12 gauge shell in order to kill a turkey.

I shoot both a 20 gauge 870 and 11-87, and prefer the 11-87. I also once had an 11-87 12 gauge, one of those guns I sold that I wish I had back. I would buy an 11-87 over any of the guns the OP listed.
ya don't need a frickin cannon to shoot a turkey
Which state is it where they let old, fat braggarts and indians shoot them with centerfire rifles?
Any belt fed shotgun will heavy and overkill.
Go light
Seriously consider a 20 ga
Drilled and tapped receiver for a red dot (or speed bead/fastfire)
Sling SWIVELS
24" Barrel, not to exceed 26"
3" chamber
Federal Heavyweight #7 If you can still find them or TSS #9

Pump or semi auto, does not matter
Matte or camo finish
Screw in chokes
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Go light
Sling SWIVELS
3" chamber

not a bad idea considering you don't want a lot of shot up meat
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Go light
Sling SWIVELS
3" chamber

Pump or semi auto, does not matter
Matte or camo finish
Screw in chokes

I would absolutely be getting a 20 gauge if it was not going to be a dual purpose gun for predators as well. I just want to make sure I can lay a coyote over out to 50 yards if needed. I have a feeling a 20 gauge could be marginal
Same criteria with a 12 ga. I have taken turkeys out to a measured 47 yards with a 20 and #7 Heavyshot. Don't know about yotes
Originally Posted by horse1
11/87

O-Rings and those STUPID fingers that retain shells in the magazine are pined into place are reason enough to skip everything Remington 1100/11-87/11-96 related. Not to mention that with the steel receiver they're WAY heavy.

+1000. I have bought 2 guns from Walmart , a marlin 22 bolt and a Beretta 390. I think I paid 350 for the Beretta on closeout.
Hey guys I’m about to purchase a new shotgun that will be used for turkeys as well as close range predators. I am a bit torn between pump and semi automatic ... but I have it narrowed down to three semis below and would like some feedback since I have never owned a semi before. Trying to keep the purchase under $750. Feel free to recommend other guns if not on my list

Would like the barrel length to be 22 to 24 inches.

-Tristar Viper G2
-Mossberg 930
-Mossberg SA-20
-Weatherby SA-459
-Weatherby SA-08
-Stoeger m3000/mk3 (I hear mixed reviews)
-Winchester SX 2,3 or 4

I know for turkeys a 20ga would be a non-issue because all of my shots are under 35 yards or so. I just want to make sure I can flatten a coyote out to ~50 yards, so a 12 might be better for me??....

If ya get a 935 or 835.
I got a custom milled Rhino .670 2inch ext ported choke I might let go for say 85 bucks shipped

They go for 130 ish about 6 or 7 yrs ago plus shipping and tax.

Throws 350,s with nitro rays 501L 4c 5c 7h load.

Throws 280 to 290,s with hevi 13 #7,s

Throws 260 to 270 with win LB,s 3.5 #6,s

All in 10" at 40 yds

I imagine it would throw a load of 4 buck pretty good also.
Never tried any in it..

Dont have any idea what it throws with TSS turkey loads

Probably outrageous #,s...

I have made alot of 50 to 55 yds shots on locked up toms with 835,s
Also have leveled toms within 20 ft with it.
Literally vaporize a noggin.
It aint pretty......
LOL!!!
with this Rhino choke which has been transferred from gun to gun
835,s are a dime a dozen.....
Probably have had 7 or 8 of em over the past 10 to 12 years

Prior to that I hunted turkey with a SxS savage stevens 311 12 ga

Let alot of locked up "outta range" birds go with that gun.
Killed alot of birds with it also.
Originally Posted by renegade50

That’s what I have now
Add me to the 20 gage TSS bandwagon. 870 pump. I just want to be dam sure there is one in the pipe for a follow up shot. I’ve never killed a coyote with one but I would not hesitate to drop the hammer on one at 40 yards with thus setup.
Am I the only person who pass-shoots turkeys once they've been flushed out of a cattle feed-lot? A person can get an awful lotta ticks sittin' up against a tree for half a day. 1 1/4oz or 1 3/8oz #4 or #5's and an IC choke.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
11/87

+1000. I have bought 2 guns from Walmart , a marlin 22 bolt and a Beretta 390. I think I paid 350 for the Beretta on closeout.

To each his own, but I’ve hung many a long beard using that ‘piece of crap’ 11/87. It has cycled well over 10K rounds (mostly trap loads but over 1k 3”). Replacing an O ring takes less than 10 seconds. Never had to replace or have any trouble with the fingers so cannot comment on that.

Good luck with whatever you use. Getting the gobbler within range is the hard part, killing him with a shotgun isn’t that difficult.

At least that’s been my experience.
Mossberg 500 is hard to beat...
Shoot what you have now. Save the money & go on an out of state turkey hunt.

That’s what I have now

I bet those fed flight control wads with their # 7 hevi shot load would extend the sure killing range of that gun about 10 more yards
Problem is side by side paralex for impact on how the barrels are regulated, usually around 30 to 35 yds for em.
I actually jb welded a willams fire sight set up on the rib.
Put a camo gun sock on it.
Limbsaver pad
Cut a slit for the front and rear sight, trigger, and breech to reload
Shot 3 inch 2oz fed # 5,s
Sight and right side full barrel adjusted to 35 yds.
Adjusted the sight to the rs full barrel
Touched off both barrels full right and mod left at birds over the years at 40 ish yds.
Waylayed em.
40 yards was my self imposed limit.
Shooting both barrels at once is not something for the patterning board
Confirm that ls mod barrel is in the ball park areato the " zeroed" rs full barrel.

I killled alot of birds with that gun.
But I also let alot of locked up non commiting birds 40 to 55 ish yards out walk also to play another day with em.

"Judas birds" that you just gotta kill can fugg up a season for ya if you focus on killing that mofo only, playing stump the dummy with him and get obsessed to kill him.

Then i started using 835,s and did a schitt load of shellology and chokeology shooting over 2 or 3 years off seasons.

Rhino .670 or .680
Truglo SSX, Tg151x strut stopper extreme.

With various loads work extremely well in 835,s

Never could find an old school wally world star dot 835/ 935 choke.

With a longer range set up locked up birds that i passed on before started getting killed the morning I played with em.
And it ceased getting obsessed with a judas bird alot.
Judas birds still happen for alot of other reasons other than range.

Its amazing what a bird with the brain the size of a grape and uncanny eyesight can put ya thru.

LOL!!!!

The Winchesters SX's are great as far as I'm concerned. If you like them, you might as well add Browning to your list.

I bought my son a Stoeger 3020 a few years ago. It's a great little shotgun! I've carried it for grouse a few times. I'm considering one for myself for wet weather grouse.

The best deal going, but not on your list is probably a Remington 870 youth model 20ga. It has a short 22" (I think) barrel, Rem-Chokes, and a 20ga with modern ammo flat out hammers turkeys. I've killed em to 49 yds with 870 20ga and Heai-13 #6 shot. It also has no problem with coyotes and fox out to 50 yds either.

My other turkey swatter is a Benelli M2, 24" barrel 12ga. I usually only use that when it's raining, since the 870 is wood.
Am I the only person who pass-shoots turkeys once they've been flushed out of a cattle feed-lot? A person can get an awful lotta ticks sittin' up against a tree for half a day. 1 1/4oz or 1 3/8oz #4 or #5's and an IC choke.

Not on purpose myself
But given the chance.
I have waylayed about 5 or 6 over the years that have taken wing.
Running and gunning em.
Walking into or out of a spot.

They go down like steve austin in his test plane or like a missle shot 747 in long glide wobbly mode.
Usually a chase or big flopping event on the ground and a coup de grace shot.

I really dont give a fugg about meat.
My dogs like it though......

Beards and spurs.
Maybe a really large sized fan to display out also.

Originally Posted by slumlord
Only ever used an 835

Hate to drag a fancy pants shotgun on my hands and knees through cow patties, fire ant mounds, through barbed wire, etc

It's the only gun I've ever used that I'd classify as a genuine piece of schit. I won one. Flaming pile of junk. I thought maybe I got a lemon so on a whim I bought another a few years later. Even shot a turkey with it...still a manure pile.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The best semi-auto shotgun I've ever owned is a Benelli SBE2. I have quit shooting mine for one reason, and one only.........I found that you didn't need the punishment of a 3 1/2 12 gauge shell in order to kill a turkey.

You know you can shoot 2 3/4" in them, right?
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Mossberg 500 is hard to beat...

TFF.
Originally Posted by tzone

Only ever used an 835

It's the only gun I've ever used that I'd classify as a genuine piece of schit. I won one. Flaming pile of junk. I thought maybe I got a lemon so on a whim I bought another a few years later. Even shot a turkey with it...still a manure pile.

He gotcha good Slumlord.
Lol!!!!

Mossberg 835.
The "bane" of turkey hunters everywhere.
Cause Tzone said so.....

LMFAO!!!!!

Oh .......

P.S.

I,m using slumlords 835 this spring.
He cant turkey hunt anymore being a transplant patient on antirejection meds and ticks dont mix.

Hold on a few.

I will post up pics of his pos 835 I,m gonna use instead of buying my yearly one.
Put my limbsaver pad on it
Stuff the buttstock with 14 oz of fishing sinkers and wally world bags
Rhino .670 choke
Tru glo pro series sight.

Just gonna roll with 3.5 2oz #6 win LB,s

Got 6 tags total

Bet I kill 4 at least.
And it will be a pics or it never happened type of thing also!!!!

Give me a second for the picture!!!!
Hold me to 4 this spring Tzone
Any beyond that is bonus.
Toms..
Not dumb azz jakes

On heavily hunted public lands where birds have been called to constantly by every known call ever sold at wally world.
Ft campbell ky
Stewart state forrest
Yellow creek Twra
Hematite COE
Sailors rest COE

Yep thats about it......

Cause I said 4
Pics or it never hapoened type of thing for sure!!!!!

And here is the POS 835 I'm gonna use!!!!

Lol!!!
This is gonna be good now!!!!
A crusade of killing......
With pics!!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
If going 12 gauge and willing to stop at a 3" shell, I'd strongly consider the Remington V3. Is said to have a real good trigger and to be very soft recoiling.
I live in pretty serious turkey country and most of the hard-core guys around here have switched over to 20 gauges shooting TSS ammo. Less recoil and they are killing birds well out beyond ranges where I'd ever want to shoot one. I've killed one with a 20 in the past and plan to hunt with one again this year.
Well...it is a piece of junk 😃

Exposed welds not ground smooth, rattles like it’s going to fall apart in your hands

You take care that, I got almost $200 in that ‘rig’

lol
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by JamesJr

You know you can shoot 2 3/4" in them, right?

Yes, and you can also pokeass along in a Corvette at 35 MPH.
We grew up hunting deer in a shotgun only county, no slugs...only buckshot allowed..so dad went out and got a pair of 835s, we couldnt swing for the sbe like the rich folk back then. Killed my first turkeys with that thing too, 2 1/4oz 3 1/2in federal turkey loads would stomp you. Sold them both to a guy for 300 a few years back...never been so happy to see guns leave. You could rattle in a deer with the forearms, but you can with a benelli nova too.
Well...it is a piece of junk 😃

Exposed welds not ground smooth, rattles like it’s going to fall apart in your hands

You take care that, I got almost $200 in that ‘rig’

lol

I got like 235 bucks of parts I put on it. I spent it years ago that have been on like 6 or 7 835,s over the years.
Must be a reason I go thru em like that????
Cause I know what works with 835,s.
Common easily obtainable and decent price gun.
Turkey killing machine.
Get one for the spring.
Put the set up parts in it.
Back to stock config after season
Use as trade bait.
Repeat
Hell I might even polish out the chamber, forcing cone and barrel now like I have others over the years.

Other reason:

You taking care of my chainsaw too? Getting that walnut all sized up?

😃

The army: we do more before 9am than most people do all day
Work van. Killed two in the last 3 years.
You taking care of my chainsaw too? Getting that walnut all sized up?

😃

The army: we do more before 9am than most people do all day

It's a shame.

Some of the most beautiful grained black walnut heartwood I have ever seen.

Your saw will come back clean and sharp man!!!
Brady is ticked his coon hound tree runway is getting sawed up
Lol!!!

You could rattle in a deer with the forearms, but you can with a benelli nova too.
And an Ithaca 37 so I guess they're junk too ? Easy to tighten the forearm rattle right out of Mossy's and Ithaca's if it's a bother.
One of the smaller halves
Tackle the big bytch 16 footer sometime this weekend.
Gotta tinker around on some guns.
Might go out tommorow shoot couple rounds of trap outta my new to me 930 .

Not bad for a subdivision rat like me doing stuff like this.
Geuss growing up in the willy whacks of northern maine gave me a few man skill things I can show off to the neighbors.
Fugga,s always wanta come out and talk and interupt the flow or a smoke break when I got schitt going on.

Looking at the grain and features in this black walnut kills me.
Oh well it will burn good in your stove slumlord.

Pics or it never happened!!!!
Originally Posted by Blackheart
You could rattle in a deer with the forearms, but you can with a benelli nova too.
And an Ithaca 37 so I guess they're junk too ? Easy to tighten the forearm rattle right out of Mossy's and Ithaca's if it's a bother.

Never have had a bird get scared off by the dreaded forearm rattle thing.
My left hand seems to keep that in check when I'm up on bird.
Never have even thought about it actually.
Have always heard about it though.....
Get a 11/87
You guys are like women.... for Christ sake
I wonder if I could kill turkeys with this???

Nawwwww.
Thats a dove gun for only 2 to 3 weeks a year before deer season starts.
And a POS Mossberg 930 on top of it all.....
whistle laugh smirk laugh

190 OTD at a mom and pop pawnshop
last satutday....

Do some tru oil magic with that stock
Some rounding over of all the sharp lines and contours.

Run with all the highender semi auto,s all day long........
Lot's of walnut around here, too. But I would have put that long, straight trunk piece on Craigslist.

I never said they were junk, rattled in one of my biggest bucks with one.
You guys are like women.... for Christ sake

Its Friday man!!!!

This thread will really heat up when everyone starts getting joy juice in em later on
( bunch of em probably already are) lol!!!

You never had a thread hijacked man????

Your bonafied now man!!!!!
Aint no turning back .
Answers, opinons, comedy, sarcasm, total theme shift all in one thread.
What more can ya ask for???

What are you gonna buy?????

Ohhh.....

Post more often dude!!!
The more the merrier!!!!

laugh laugh laugh
Just busting your balls LOL
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Lot's of walnut around here, too. But I would have put that long, straight trunk piece on Craigslist.

I have talked to maybe 3 muldoons about getting it the fugg outta

Oh they will gladly let me pay them 75 or 100 bucks to get it outta the yard and then take to a sawmill and then sell it for 250 to 300 bucks or whatever.
Acting like it aint worth their effort and schit and nothing to be made from it unless I pay em also.

But they wont haul it for free and then go sell it.

Fugging schiesters.......

Slumlord firewood is what it's gonna be.
This morning I went up and borrowed my brothers pump and was shooting a few boxes. I could shoot a pump a hell of a lot faster than I thought I could.... Now I don’t know what the hell to do LOL If I got a pump it would likely be in 870 of some variation

Originally I did not have an 11–87 on my list because of the O-ring issues that I kept reading about. Then I watched a video and it takes legitimately two minutes to change it. So now that’s back on the list LOL I swear to God I’m like a woman choosing clothing when it comes to choosing hunting stuff. Can’t make a decision
At least I wont have ta go find some slaves to pick up black walnuts in one of the housing projects now.

Hard to find good slaves around here.

LOL!!!!
I will add that I think I’m taking the mossberg930 off of the list because it is a heavy son of a *****. The Weatherby and tristars were notably lighter
I’ve had 1100’s and 11/87’s. Those o-rings are cheap. They last a long time. I get mine out of o-ring kits. I figure out the right one, get them at auto parts. I have a bunch in my shotgun box.
This morning I went up and borrowed my brothers pump and was shooting a few boxes. I could shoot a pump a hell of a lot faster than I thought I could.... Now I don’t know what the hell to do LOL If I got a pump it would likely be in 870 of some variation

Originally I did not have an 11–87 on my list because of the O-ring issues that I kept reading about. Then I watched a video and it takes legitimately two minutes to change it. So now that’s back on the list LOL I swear to God I’m like a woman choosing clothing when it comes to choosing hunting stuff. Can’t make a decision

Lots of gas guns have oring,s in em.
Sometimes people just wanta pick at other peoples stuff or decisions.

Those remington o rings are pricey like 3 for 10 bucks IIRC
Got that special silver/ greyish coating.
Turn black after a box of shells anyways.

I went to a hydraulic place here in town when i had a H&R excell auto
( verona clone)
Made by Sarsilmaz in turkey.
Remington bought H&R
and basically made the excell and excell auto with the 1100 gas system design with reversable heavy and light load design.
Many other guns instead have a metering system.

OBTW
Same as the weatherby,s you mentioned
Just rebranded same platform higher priced
Some of those weatherby,s are also Japanese made.

The hydraulic line o rings work well also
High pressure and temp.
.75 cents each
Bought 2
Really suspected remington is playing a game and they are the same basically

Carried an extra in my wallet in the plastic photo,s holder.
Never had one go bad and changed em when I wanted too.

Some people make alot to do about stuff on here.

Take it all for what it is worth.

What works for you in your rig is what counts.
I will add that I think I’m taking the mossberg930 off of the list because it is a heavy son of a *****. The Weatherby and tristars were notably lighter

Weight asorbs/ impedes recoil
Limbsaver pads absorb felt recoil.

Gas guns recoil less
Inertia guns recoil more and some feel like a double pulse.

Some guns are combo gas interia guns also

Its a confusing world of options and designs out their.

Lol!!!

Whatever you get.
Get good with it.
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve had 1100’s and 11/87’s. Those o-rings are cheap. They last a long time. I get mine out of o-ring kits. I figure out the right one, get them at auto parts. I have a bunch in my shotgun box.

O-rings are a simple swap. The rest of the 1100/11-87 operating system is a Rube Goldberg device compared to Beretta, Benelli, Win/Browning. Those shell retainers being held in place by 2 little peen marks is damned stupid. The tail section of the bolt being 2 springs held into a cup is stupid. Rem's 11-series shotguns have gas-ports that are WAY too small compared to basically everyone else. Not enough flow to keep them reliable in dusty/cold conditions. Those small gas ports cause more recoil to-boot as they don't bleed off nearly as much excess.

But, at least they're 1# heavier than they need to be so Rem users have that going for them.

Dude!!!!!
You sitting on a gold mine!!!!

Email mossberg about that , keep email track record.
They will add it in their advertising across all their pump shotgun models as a deer hunting feature!!!

Then when they do it on the sly and dont acknowledge it to you directly

Sue the schitt outta em!!!!
835 all day,every day.In Dixie,it ain’t about how much you spent on that gobble-stopper.Did you tag-out is the question.The 835 don’t play...
Got there number renegade50?

Can't even joke around here without people getting all bent out of shape, my comment was all in fun! It's Friday!
Got there number renegade50?

Can't even joke around here without people getting all bent out of shape, my comment was all in fun! It's Friday!

Its all in good fun .
Its friday.

# might be 1 800 MOSBERG ??????
Minus 1 S ????

Lol!!!!
Originally Posted by Bull64
835 all day,every day.In Dixie,it ain’t about how much you spent on that gobble-stopper.Did you tag-out is the question.The 835 don’t play...

More money in parts I transferred onto slumlords 835 than what he bought it for.

Lol!!!!

Called him 2 nights ago about taking his scope and granite hard mossberg pad off it and setting it up with my stuff.

Gotta pattern it this week.
Get a box of LB 3.5 2oz # 6.
Probably 3 shots at the most.
Leave 10 LB shells for the season.
Already got 3 on hand
Think I'm GTG.
Cant take 2 in a day anymore on Ft Campbell.

I miss those days.
Shooting toms off anothers back flogging him after the 1st got whacked and the other thinking he is covering up a hen.
Or those shots where 2 toms are in range and their heads line up a few inches apart.

Taking away 2 in one day took away some extra fun in the game.
The list is whittled down to
-Tristar Viper G2
-Weatherby SA-459 (turkey version of SA-08)
-Mossberg 930
-Rem 11-87

HELP MEEEEEEE.... I’m losing hair and I can’t afford to lose anymore
-Tristar Viper G2
-Mossberg 930
-Rem 11-87

You should've called the guys in Watertown SD about 6hrs ago and had that Syn 390 on the way to you already.
-Tristar Viper G2
-Mossberg 930
-Rem 11-87

That Tristar IiRC is a turkish gun, parts might be an issue in the future.
Is the weatherby a jap or a turk????
Parts once again issue if turk

11-87
No parts issues.
And more aftermarket add on parts I bet also.

So now you might be down to 2......

Google up hair club for men.

Lol!!!

Lol!!!

I’m too Far gone man.... lost cause
-Tristar Viper G2
-Mossberg 930
-Rem 11-87

You should've called the guys in Watertown SD about 6hrs ago and had that Syn 390 on the way to you already.

Good gun.
Im gonna beat slumlord with his on the dove field this year gawdammit.

Lol!!!
26 inch berreta 390 walnut used in vg to exc at gun and knife country outside gate 6 Ft Campbell
Got steve down to 400 otd about 3 weeks ago.

Didnt get it.
Prob should have.
Probably still their i bet.

Lol!!!

I’m too Far gone man.... lost cause

What about implants man???

Lol!!!
Found a brand new 930 for $400.... I really don’t want to lug that thing around though
Benelli SBE. Woodcock to Whitetail and everything in between.

Didn't mean to suggest that you did. There are plenty of retards on here who equate rattle with junk however. Those retards could figure out how to eliminate the rattle if , well, they weren't retards.
Here you go... 12ga over 222 or 22 HP. The 12 is choked a tighter version of improved/modified, a roomy full choke. The guns are compact and fast handling. The barrels can be regulated easily with a flat screwdriver.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by luv2safari
Here you go... 12ga over 222 or 22 HP. The 12 is choked a tighter version of improved/modified, a roomy full choke. The guns are compact and fast handling. The barrels can be regulated easily with a flat screwdriver.

Valmet?
Got to get bow out, I like to turkey hunt with my bow.
Stick a pig or an aoudad if one wanders up.
Originally Posted by hanco
Got to get bow out, I like to turkey hunt with my bow.
Stick a pig or an aoudad if one wanders up.

Oddly enough I have no interest in shooting a turkey with my bow. Everything else I much prefer Archery. But I like to blast turkeys 🤷🏼‍♂️
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Valmet?

Yep, the lighter 300 series. It's for sale, BTW. whistle
Get a semiauto if you really want a semiauto, but there is no need for one when hunting turkeys. Calling in a turkey is hard; shooting one is easy. You're shooting at a more or less stationary target at 40 yards with a shotgun. Second shots are rare, and if you do need one, you can do it with a pump plenty fast enough.

I use a Mossberg 500. Camo, very light, fiber optic sights, 20" barrel. If I were starting from scratch, I might get an 835 in a similar configuration, just because that overbored barrel patterns so well. I'd probably shoot 3" shells in it though. I find recoil with 2 oz 12 ga loads to be adequate.
Originally Posted by natman

I use a Mossberg 500. Camo, very light, ....

Light weight is also another criteria for me. I crossed the Mossberg 930 off of the list because it is a clunker
pm sent.
Tristar Viper G2

[not the gen 1 and not the Raptor, those are not finished as well and are made in a different factory]

It is basically a copy of the Beretta 303/390/3901 (but not 391) series. Made in Turkey, and very well fit/finished. They are nearly as nicely done as the old Berettas. They moved the recoil return spring to be under the forend rather than in the buttstock.

If you decide on 20 gauge, then the Mossberg SA20 is the same shotgun.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Tristar Viper G2

[not the gen 1 and not the Raptor, those are not finished as well and are made in a different factory]

If you decide on 20 gauge, then the Mossberg SA20 is the same shotgun.

How would I know what generation it is?

I’m pretty much narrowed down to the Tristar Viper G2 Turkey or the Weatherby SA-459.... I have the Winchester sx4 And Mossberg sa-20 on the list too but not sure the SX4 is worth the extra cash, And I also don’t think I want a 20 gauge
The Gen 1 and Raptor have a rear trigger guard that is rounded in shape.

The Gen 2 have a rear trigger guard that is squareish shaped and has a little undercut to it.

If you look on the Tristar website, the Vipers shown are all Gen 2 with the square trigger guard.
But if you've got $500 to spend, find a used Beretta 390 or 3901 and you'll never be sorry.
© 24hourcampfire