Home
eek Our local news just said at 6:23 AM that Dick’s Sporting Goods was
REMOVING the Hunting Departments in over 400 stores ! ! ! !

Spineless ! Empty Sacks ! Politically Correct (momentarily) and
ANTI Constitutional.

Oh Well! I never bought anything there.

Will NOT buy ANY thing there now.
Maybe I can find some good closeouts.
Only queers like Dicks, anyway.
They had already alienated most hunters to the point they couldn't sale any hunting gear anyway. No loss.
Originally Posted by Cretch
They had already alienated most hunters to the point they couldn't sale any hunting gear anyway. No loss.

It impresses me as a smart business decision.
Originally Posted by Cretch

That, fug em
Originally Posted by jwall

ANTI Constitutional.

ADD : That includes GUNS & AMMO.

It does not affect me personally because I never was a patron.
We have a Dick heads Sporting Goods Store 9 mi from my house. I
Never was in the store.

What does anger me is their CAVING into the Anti 2nd A.

We KNEW where Bloomybird stands on firearms.
J Biden does NOT know where he stands ! He CAN’T remember what he
stands for.

He & other DIMS have a 1 plank Plattform. “Beat Trump”.

Back On Point : We collectively, are losing here tho. The buying public has
1 less Hunting Outlett.

I hope this hurts them to the point they go Completely Out Of Business.

Won’t miss them.
The local Dick's in Louisville ky has removed all fishing equipment also.
Local one here has a "Field & Stream" store attached to it open to the Dick's store. has quite the gun counter. I usually don't buy there but interesting to see if they're going to lose the guns and what they'll do with it. Was an old Sears at the mall.
They need a new slogan: Soccer Moms Love Dick's!

Works on several levels.
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Local one here has a "Field & Stream" store attached to it open to the Dick's store. has quite the gun counter. I usually don't buy there but interesting to see if they're going to lose the guns and what they'll do with it. Was an old Sears at the mall.

The F & S two man ladder stands are the most comfortable and easiest stands I've ever hunted out of or put together. Got a few for me and kids to sit together.
WHO CARES? Did anyone on this forum ever buy anything from there that was Hunting or Gun related? Probably NOT!

Don't buy into the whole Dick's anti blah blah blah........ We never supported them and margins on what they did sell to the most basic of gun consumers was minimal. They sold junk! Honestly it was a smart business move on their part. The media and maybe even the exec's at Dick's saw it as a good talking point for the anti's. Which lets be totally honest here is their main consumer base. Remember the Term Speak with your wallet! And we clearly did not speak with our wallets at Dick's.
This would kill the founder.

Let's see how this experiment works for them. They are 80% a clothing store these days.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
WHO CARES? Did anyone on this forum ever buy anything from there that was Hunting or Gun related? Probably NOT!

Don't buy into the whole Dick's anti blah blah blah........ We never supported them and margins on what they did sell to the most basic of gun consumers was minimal. They sold junk! Honestly it was a smart business move on their part. The media and maybe even the exec's at Dick's saw it as a good talking point for the anti's. Which lets be totally honest here is their main consumer base. Remember the Term Speak with your wallet! And we clearly did not speak with our wallets at Dick's.

fully agree...…who cares...…...total business decision...…...bob
Dicks sporting goods , I never heard of them grin

They can keep their Nike imported from China crap and everything else they import from there.
Nothing I ever bought there lasted. Good riddance.
I actually bought a climbing tree stand there in the past. They had some sort of coupon that made it a bargain. I don't use it much because it weighs 5,000 pounds and is as awkward to carry as a burlap sack full of feeder pigs.

Only thing I ever bought from them.
They are catering to the metrosexual male. Their sporting goods has been a small fraction of their floor space around here.
Originally Posted by auk1124
I actually bought a climbing tree stand there in the past. They had some sort of coupon that made it a bargain. I don't use it much because it weighs 5,000 pounds and is as awkward to carry as a burlap sack full of feeder pigs.

Only thing I ever bought from them.

I did buy a ladder stand once and they made that sum itch for a 6'10" tall person to sit in.
Should be good news to LGS and mom and pop stores.
AND their stock was up too

...seen a miniscule blerb PF them crowing about that yesterday
I had to buy a box of 35 rem there once, only because Walmart only carries turdy turtie and 2sebbendie ammo.
I didn't realize Dick's was still in business... Went there for some cleats or LAX balls for my son couple of years ago... what a total joke of a store.

In fairness, I am not their target audience.

1) I don't smoke crack.

2) I don't impulse buy Nike chitt with stolen money/my whole paycheck from the carwash.

3) I demand Quality in things I buy.

4) I return Customer Service rudeness in salvo.
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

Highly doubt it ever had any effect on them to begin with. So I doubt it.
Never been in one, did they ever carry anything worthwhile?
Their golf shoe selection was pretty good three years ago.

Last time I was in there. Last thing I bought from them.
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

Yep, I’m hoping this helps them out.
2 handis, on closeout (.308 bull with scope for 150, and a whelen they said ammo wasnt made for), some .22, and .308, scope rail. I missed a .44. They never had a hunting department to speak of. The guns were uninteresting and priced just like bass pro.

Last time in one the gun rack was already empty, ammo was 30% off which put it at about walmart level . IF I get by I will look for a bargain.

In general I don't understand selling. 223 / .410 combos, mossy oak and corn feeders in Colorado. All the big stores
Guys, I understand your attitude and position.

My main point is NOT I liked or used 'dicks' (no pun please) or will miss them.

The following highlights what I think is IMPORTANT to the Hunting & Firearms industry,

ADD : That includes GUNS & AMMO.

Back On Point : We collectively, are losing here tho. The buying public has
1 less Hunting Outlett.

Won’t miss them.

I expect Cabelas/BPS to follow suit.

Family bought me a medium grade meat grinder at BPS a couple of years ago... wanted a tougher machine. Returned the original one and got store credit of $250+/-. The bigger ones were way overpriced... tried like hell to spent the $250 well on something else. Powder selection was a joke on availability and price. optics and guns same on way overpriced or junk.

Ended up with 10-12 pairs of the Redhead Lifetime Warranty socks (which I now understand to no longer honored as Lifetime Warranty). Whatever... I am never going back.

Couple more victories for the Left.
Uuummm you guys never heard of Field and Stream? Its their store aimed at Hunting and Fishing lol.... why would they want to compete with their own brand?

PS - Dicks stock went up pretty good after everyone black listed them lol...

Did they Cave?

I don't think so. I think they looked hard at the margins and realized they were not and could not compete.
Dick's had a hunting department?? Who knew.
It is all coming down to shedding liability against future lawsuits.

Walmart dumping pistol ammo, XYZ dropping ARs etc. Dicks sucking dicks etc.

Home Depot had a HDX (house brand) version of Round-up... they clearanced it all last year to distance themselves from lawsuits (I assume).

I bought every jug the had at an amazing price. Changing snowflake world... just a fact.
There are 3 Dick's near me, one removed the hunting department, one removed both hunting and fishing gear, and I don't know if I was ever in the Dick's in Council Bluffs, IA..

I've bought a few rifles and some ammo from Dick's when their sale prices was too good to pass on. They never had anything special, but they would occasionally price what they had below small dealer whotesale.

The anti-gun lobby has a lot of economic power, mostly, it seems, from soccer moms who are afraid of guns. They always seem to blame the guns and not the shooter. Most of them live in safe neighborhoods without any drug or gang activity, but they are afraid because of incidents like the Columbine and Sandy Hook school shootings. Dick's is just catering to their most affluent customer base, probably a smart business move for them to focus their efforts where the most money is.
I heard they even pulled the fishing section at the local store. Haven't been there in many moons so I can't confirm, but believe the guy who told me.
Proving they are dicks.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I heard they even pulled the fishing section at the local store. Haven't been there in many moons so I can't confirm, but believe the guy who told me.

They are close to being out of fishing in our local store. Shelves almost empty. But nothing has been confirmed.
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Uuummm you guys never heard of Field and Stream? Its their store aimed at Hunting and Fishing lol.... why would they want to compete with their own brand?

They closed every single one of those a few months back and sold them to Sportsmans warehouse, Not sure if they are still operating elsewhere.
So the all the crap goes on sale and the “boycotters” will be lined up at the door looking for bargains and crying about it.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Ejp1234

They closed every single one of those a few months back and sold them to Sportsmans warehouse, Not sure if they are still operating elsewhere.

https://m.fieldandstreamshop.com/

No they didnt, they sold the few under performing stores.

Use the find a store tab, theres a lot.

Did they Cave?

I don't think so. I think they looked hard at the margins and realized they were not and could not compete.

You may very well be right but it SEEMED to me they joined the ANTIs.

Did they Cave?

You may very well be right but it SEEMED to me they joined the ANTIs.

I believe that was the whole intent of the media and possibly some of the exec's. Again a dollars and scents move. Dick's pays ridiculous leasing fees and it is so hard today to keep up with online commerces. They were bleeding badly and needed to stop the bleeding. They have a little life left in them and the exec's always squeeze the most out they can. I have no ill will to Dick's, they don't cater to any of my needs. I shop at LGS, or online, mom and pop snowboard shops, Rogue for my gym needs, and a mix of small local businesses and online for my other outdoor pursuits. They never effected any of the mom and pop or small local shops I use. Now the Online commerces have greatly!
The usual path for a successful sporting goods store that includes hunting & fishing is:
1. Start off a small mom & pop
2. Get big either via mail order or going public
3. Expand like crazy
4. Next generation of family or new yawk tiny hat sorts take over
5. Slowly transform from sporting goods to sporting clothes store
6. Eventually get lost in the mix of all the other clothes stores
Originally Posted by jfruser
The usual path for a successful sporting goods store that includes hunting & fishing is:
1. Start off a small mom & pop
2. Get big either via mail order or going public
3. Expand like crazy
4. Next generation of family or new yawk tiny hat sorts take over
5. Slowly transform from sporting goods to sporting clothes store
6. Eventually get lost in the mix of all the other clothes stores

Pretty much what has happened, or is still happening, to Cabela's since they were bought by BPS.
Good luck selling enough soccer balls to keep a 30,000sf store alive. Bye Bye Dicks. On the other hand that leaves lots of good retail space and an empty hole in the market for a good store like Sheels to move in.

ANTI Constitutional.

They have the constitutional right to sell what they want to sell. And I have the right to never step in to their stores again, which has been the case for about eight years.
I have a friend that owns a tiny work clothing store, mostly Carhartt and Woolrich, Sorels and Georgia work boots. She gets reams of industry flyers and wholesale catalogs, although she is "bottom tier pricing", she says the markup on offshore manufactured clothing is three or four hundred percent. That may shed some light why Dicks changed their business model, they certainly were NOT an industry leader in gun retailing anyway. A company could buy a lot of Nike sports bras for the price of one rifle with a lousy 15 percent markup.
Originally Posted by centershot
Good luck selling enough soccer balls to keep a 30,000sf store alive. Bye Bye Dicks. On the other hand that leaves lots of good retail space and an empty hole in the market for a good store like Sheels to move in.

You are a fool if you think they don't sell enough apparel and mainstream sporting goods to keep them in business. It is what has floated them this long!
I was in ours a couple weeks ago looking for a pair of sweat pants. Waaaay over priced. Ended up buying a few gun cleaning items which was about all there was as far as shooting supplies go. I think I was the only customer in there at the time.
I have no affection or need for Dicks but "anti constitutional?" Really? ??
I stopped buying there a few years ago. They didn't have anything of interest to me anyway........ Except for my last purchase there which was in Dec. 2017. Got a .22 cal. Savage Rascal youth gun on sale with a $50. rebate offer from Savage. Between the sale price and the rebate my final cost was about 97 or 98 dollars. Couldn't resist it. But haven't been back since and have no plans whatsoever to go back. Apparently they don't like folks like me.
Phugg Dick's
Maybe they are REI wannabes
I think I can count on one hand how many guns my friends have bought from dicks, I've never bought a single one. I think most of those guns were the beretta camo a300 they were selling for 599. That was a hard price to beat.
The ones out here were never much more than soccer mom stores.

Walmart had a better “hunting” dept.
Over priced.... K mart "quality" stuff....then their politics...

Let 'em go under... just like K Mart....

Stopped in a Bass Pro down in California....

their quality ain't much better...
Their shareholders should cut that CEO's head off.
Bought 1 rifle from Dicks that was sale prices right. Took so long for the pimple faced snowboard professional wannabe to complete the paperwork I bitched to the manager...he gave me a $50 gift card. Which I used to buy ammo for it. Never been back.
Around here they have no competition for sporting goods and plenty for guns and ammo.
And funny that the same guys who say that Dicks doesn’t know dick about guns are now pissed that it won’t be a problem anymore.
Dicks had a hunting department?

😄
Damn it. I used to buy alot of fishing stuff from Dick's. Still have a couple guns from there and lots of ammunition. You who say they didn't have anything good don't know shyt. The guns and ammo Dick's sold were the most popular stuff with the general hunting public. Rem. 870 expess, Mossy. 500's, Ruger Americans, 10/22's, Marlin 60's etc etc. No big gun store is going to sell enough of the rich guy snobby stuff like Christensen, Kimber, Barret etc. to stay in business for long. I will miss them here as there aren't many mom & pop shops left in the area, their prices are high, their selection limited and the nearest Bass Pro is a 70 mile drive.
Originally Posted by dale06

They have the constitutional right to sell what they want to sell. And I have the right to never step in to their stores again, which has been the case for about eight years.

OF COURSE they do.
For you & another member who mentioned ‘anti constitutional’

I was “thinking” of them joining forces with the Antis to help reduce our
ACCESS to firearms & ammo & hunting paraphernalia.

NO - no one is bound by the constitution to sell and promote ANYTHING.
They will be filing chapter 11 or 13 one of those two by they end of the year.
Welcome to Sports Authority.
Originally Posted by granitestate1
They will be filing chapter 11 or 13 one of those two by they end of the year.

Possibly so but it has zero to do with getting rid of the guns, hunting, and fishing gear.
When they pulled hunting gear out of the stores up here I went in and spoke to the manager. We bought a lot of expensive fastpitch gear for our daughter, and some small stuff over in the hunting area, never any guns though. I politely told her that my business would be going elsewhere due to their stupid, liberal backed stance. She knew me from helping me previously when getting bats for my daughter. They lost a lot of business from thier decision and will lose more.
The folks who run Dick’s and Field & Stream couldn’t give 2 chits about firearms, hunting or fishing or anything else related to outdoors. Their interest is purely in the dollar they can turn on it. The whole time they’re selling guns, they’re also hiring antigun lobbyists!
The very idea of selling firearms and accessories, while at the very same time working to undermine the rights their customers hold dear!
They were exposed as the two faced azzholes they are some time back, and I won’t darken their door.
Their stuff never was that cheap anyway. The little bit you save over your local gun shop works against you in more ways than you imagine.
Bottom line, support the people who support you.
7mm
Originally Posted by gophergunner
When they pulled hunting gear out of the stores up here I went in and spoke to the manager. We bought a lot of expensive fastpitch gear for our daughter, and some small stuff over in the hunting area, never any guns though. I politely told her that my business would be going elsewhere due to their stupid, liberal backed stance. She knew me from helping me previously when getting bats for my daughter. They lost a lot of business from thier decision and will lose more.

They don't care. Do you not understand margins? They didn't make crap on it, they didn't sell enough of it, and it was a smart business decision. Pretty much everyone on here has claimed to not buy gear from them, and you get made they choose to stop selling it? By the way they haven't lost any business because of it. The people that shop at Dick's could careless. But so many here can not seem to comprehend that or their own admission of not buying from there in the first place.
To me it's just that same as the suits running Dick's saying "You win....we give up!"
Close outs.
Ammo, guns, gear.
Hit em.
See what might be marked down.
They had a Field & Stream in Altoona. I knew a couple people there, and I bought guns and more there. When F&S stopped selling semi autos l, I made my last trip specifically to tell the manager they’d never get another nickel from me.
It’s now taken over by Sportsmans Warehouse, and I occasionally shop there, but I still spend the vast majority of my money in the LGS.
7mm
The democrat anti-American/socialist policies, rules, regulations, and taxes will destroy America forever if we do not vote the democrats out of power in the 2020 election. They should be removed off all the ballots. They offer nothing for America or its people to make the country better.
Haven't set foot in one in years.
Was a hardlines manager at a Dick's store in Michigan for a few years. That included Golf, sporting goods and the "lodge" which was hunt/fish/camp. I got to see what was made on each area, margin wise. Now I am as big a gun nut as anyone else on here but I can also understand business. Dump the guns and ammo and devote the floor space to footwear and apparel, would make way more money.
By golly I haven’t set foot in Dick’s , Walmart , Arby’s since I retired from Johns Manville insulation factory in ‘61
I remember about 15 years ago when they opened one in Concord New Hampshire, I bought a long rife from them and everything went OK but when I was about to leave they gave me another form to fill out, it was not a gov form but one of there own I protested and said I had met all the requirements he said I had to to complete the transaction. It has several questions on it like if the gun was going to be kept in a safe and other saftey questions one question that struck me funny was how many kids I had and lived in the house, I answered 12 children when he looked over the paperwork he said I find it hard to believe Mr Crawford that you have 12 children I said to him my wife is very fertile and then I said I have had enough of this crap you never said there was going to be any other paperwork or else I would not have bought the rifle. I said to him I have my merchandise and my recipt and I am walking out of here and if anyone tries to stop me I will interpet it as an assult and will defend myself I started walking towards the door he followed me from a distance but never said or did anything else I have never set foot in one of there stores since then.

Dean
Dicks opened up a store near where l live a few years ago; walked through and looked a few times, but there wasn't really anything they were selling that I liked well enough to pay their ludicrously high prices to get. Poor selection plus high prices, they won't be missed.
© 24hourcampfire