Home

Forget the virus......SLC is waiting for the big one.......

Something like this would really disrupt life in general......

https://www.ksl.com/article/46731610/earthquake-hits-salt-lake-city
Perfect timing!

I'm 3 hrs SE of SLC......

didn't feel anything here........
We were typing at the same time, tikka.

Loud and definite shaking here in Ogden, 35 miles or so from epicenter.
When it rains it pours
USGS is saying 5.7

Here is the intensity shake map

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqu...ontours=false&shakemap-stations=true

Don’t be scared of the link
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Tsunami headed your way, run while you can
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
We were typing at the same time, tikka.

Loud and definite shaking here in Ogden, 35 miles or so from epicenter.

Its all that new construction at the SLC airport..........
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Tsunami headed your way, run while you can

high & dry here @ 6000'
Dang. If St George slides into the ocean, Vegas and Los Angeles will have to in ahead of it.

https://kutv.com/news/local/strong-earthquake-strikes-northern-utah

man.........I'm headed to the market for some BT & bottled water............
Well, how long will it be until the Dem/Comms say Trump did it?
how common is this in SLC...?
Utah has almost constant tremors, but 99% of them are undetectable except by instruments. Ones we can feel happen somewhere in the state a dozen times a year or so. Ones like we just had, maybe once a decade.

The big one is about 10,000 years overdue, based on geologic records.
It was felt in the Grand Junction area
Originally Posted by sse
how common is this in SLC...?

They say........big one some day.......

Our lifetime ?

Who knows ?

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=3791904&itype=CMSID
I tried pulling up the map of the past 12 months of quakes, but their website is down.

Duh, huh?
Originally Posted by szihn
Well, how long will it be until the Dem/Comms say Trump did it?

NO!

It's due to all that oil well fracking in Oklahoma...

One lefttard lie at a time.

Please..

smile
SLC Airport being evacuated. All flights cancelled. Water damage inside the terminal. Highway into the airport closed.

(They are completely rebuilding the SLC airport, and the construction crews apparently freaked out during the quake - understandably.)
If it was the Big One, I doubt any of us here in SL Valley area would still have computer access, ha. So if we "go silent"...come look for survivors please! Hint- they will be up on the high sides, ( the VERY high sides will down around the lower bench areas) the valley floor will be liquid. frown
Here's a map of the past 12 days of quakes in Utah.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
We're about 200 miles from SLC. I was sitting here at the computer when it happened and my coffee didn't jiggle that I could notice.
I'm working this morning in downtown SLC. Was sitting at my desk when it happened. We have one cracked wall down the hallway and some of us had pictures shaken off the walls. Joke of the day is that it wasn't actually an earthquake, but happened at Costco. A fight for toilet paper on aisle 5.
It's California's fault, plate still running into NA plate, mountains still building.
Originally Posted by slumlord
USGS is saying 5.7

Here is the intensity shake map

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqu...ontours=false&shakemap-stations=true

Don’t be scared of the link

But the link says "false&shakemap"

ToungueinCheek
Well, I see the fire is back to politics and virus wall-to-wall. Not even an earthquake can derail it.
My Sister Texted me and said she was OK
Dishes fell was all

HE!! we in Cali. do not even get out of bed unless it is 6.0+
5.0 is like a big truck driving past your home.
How long before some dummycrap geologist living on a government subsidy discovers a new tectonic plate junction called "Trump's Fault"???????
Jerry
Originally Posted by Utahunter
Joke of the day is that it wasn't actually an earthquake, but happened at Costco. A fight for toilet paper on aisle 5.

laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Well, I see the fire is back to politics and virus wall-to-wall. Not even an earthquake can derail it.

I know what you like

Will that sooth.....??? Oh yeahhhhhhhh

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Best wishes to all affected by this earthquake! I hope the damage and the (additional) disruption to your lives are minimal.
Oh, damn, what would happen if the Morman temple crashed down on their one hundred billion in cash stash?
Back in 1959, I was a teenager living about 100 miles from the epicenter of the Yellowstone quake. Back then, my usual wake up call was my dad, who would shake the corner of my mattress, to let me know it was time to feed the critters and get some breakfast. When the quake hit, I sort of dimly wondered why he was waking me so soon after I went to bed. Then I went back to sleep.

Yesterday, I had a pretty demanding day and was sound asleep this morning when our quake hit. I looked over, and saw that my wife was up, dimly wondered why the bed was shaking if she wasn't getting in or out, and dozed back off again.

I was about to declare a pattern, when I remembered the quake that hit Mammoth, about 135 miles away from where we were in Nevada. I was up on my ham antenna tower when that hit. THAT was entertaining!
When a significant quake hits you will know it.

It might have been God giving a word of warning to the Mormons.
Just now had a pretty good aftershock!
Beat me to it.... just felt it roll through.
Hang tough guys
fortuitously, we had our (leaking) hundred year old galvanized water main replaced 5 days ago with that fancy pants plastic stuff.....
It was something of a miracle here behind the Zion Curtain. In 15 seconds the Mormons became Quakers!

We've been told to expect aftershocks for perhaps weeks to come. There have been dozens already, many too small to feel but not all!

Moroni's trumpet is G O N E............oh my......

from what I'm told......its gold plated ????????? correct me if wrong

[img]https://img.ksl.com/slc/2777/277768/27776864.png?filter=ksl/img614[/img]

https://www.ksl.com/article/4673163...s-near-magna-shakes-entire-wasatch-front
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Oh, damn, what would happen if the Morman temple crashed down on their one hundred billion in cash stash?

The Angel on top of the Temple lost His trumpet...…..A Sign???
I was curious about which fault was responsible and found this in Wikipedia:

Statistically, the Wasatch Fault is overdue for another major earthquake. Experts have given a 57% probability of an earthquake magnitude 6.0 or greater occurring within the next 50 years, however it is important to note that statistical frequency does not necessarily imply periodic behavior, but can serve as a good indicator.[7] Liquefaction due to a strong earthquake is of particular concern because many highly populated areas along the Wasatch Front lie on soft lake sediments, remnants of Lake Bonneville.[8][9]

A strong earthquake on the Wasatch Fault could trigger landslides, cause mass liquefaction, and flooding of low-lying areas forming near lakes due to subsidence and tilting. The quake may also rupture the surface causing displacement of up to 20 feet (6.1 m), and severely damage gas, electric, water, communication, and transportation lifelines.[10] A report released by Bob Carey of Utah's Office of Emergency Services and published by the Deseret News in April 2006 predicts that a strong earthquake occurring in Salt Lake City could kill up to 6,200 people, injure 90,000, and cause US$40 billion in economic losses. Due to the earthquake danger not being well known when many structures were built in the area, at least 42% of the buildings along the Wasatch Front are at risk of moderate to severe damage in the event of a strong earthquake. Many buildings, such as hospitals and schools, are located directly atop the Wasatch Fault. Approximately 50% of hospital beds in Salt Lake City are at risk.[11] Currently, about 80% of Utah's population live along the Wasatch Fault, representing the largest earthquake threat in the interior Western U.S.[12][1]

On the west end of Salt Lake Valley is another fault zone called the West Valley fault zone that spans 9 miles (16 km) north-northwest. Recent trench studies have shown that the West Valley fault tends to rupture simultaneously with the Wasatch Fault, compounding issues such as liquefaction, landslides and flooding. The two faults likely converge into a single fault deep underneath Salt Lake Valley.[
© 24hourcampfire