Home
Posted By: whistle1 New protocols for greeting - 03/21/20
The handshake is pretty much discouraged now a days as we know. The replacement was the fist bump and now recently it is the elbow bump.

In my opinion a casual salute would cover all the bases without any physical contact at all. Doesn't have to be in crisp military style just keep it simple.
I ran into an old friend at the lumberyard a few days ago. We started to shake hands, but opted for the elbow. Strange times indeed...
Just a nod at distance.
Give people the middle finger. Contact free and enforces and encourages social distancing.
Since `979 the only salute I've given was the occasional one finger type. Be a man. If the occasional handshake was fatal we would have all died long ago - or is this the first infectious virus in the history of the world.
Posted By: hanco Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/21/20
For those about to pass germs, we salute you!!!!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Just a nod at distance.

An accompanying smile isn't a bad thing either.
Doin business, I don't put out my hand unless the other person does, first.

Normally a practice reserved for women.

Friends, never stopped shakin hands.
The old Spock "live long and prosper" with the hand gesture seems appropriate. Now if I could only get my fingers to do that!
Posted By: jnyork Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/21/20
I got the elbow greeting at my Doctor office a few days ago. Seemed kinda weird.
Posted By: las Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/21/20
I'm just using "Eeek! Get the hell away from me!"

It works.
Posted By: aalf Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/21/20
[Linked Image from tripsavvy.com]
[Linked Image from listverse-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com]
Posted By: Prwlr Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/21/20
Go to about 3:13 - the Demo man greeting.

Posted By: Slavek Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by whistle1
The handshake is pretty much discouraged now a days as we know. The replacement was the fist bump and now recently it is the elbow bump.

In my opinion a casual salute would cover all the bases without any physical contact at all. Doesn't have to be in crisp military style just keep it simple.

EU version of handshake is elbow to elbow.
If you don't want to shake hands, just lift you right hand empty as a greeting. That shows you have no weapon.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/21/20
Never could see much sense in handshakes other than to establish dominance.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If you don't want to shake hands, just lift you right hand empty as a greeting. That shows you have no weapon.

Yes, and in cubs and boy scouts we were taught to shake with the left hand. Because the left hand was what most warriors used to hold their shield, this signified that I trusted you!

I do remember a few things from more than six decades ago,... a few. smile

Ted
Posted By: KenMi Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/21/20
Or in Italy and Iran, just kiss everyone......oh, wait...…………...cause and effect?????
Originally Posted by Yukoner

Yes, and in cubs and boy scouts we were taught to shake with the left hand. Because the left hand was what most warriors used to hold their shield, this signified that I trusted you!

But in the BTP era, you shook with your right hand, because you used your left to wipe your ass..... cry
Posted By: P_Weed Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/21/20
I just do what I've always done - Give everyone the finger.
Posted By: JRP47 Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/26/20
Originally Posted by Yukoner

I do remember a few things from more than six decades ago,... a few. smile

Ted

;)It's about that long ago for me as well. And, in trying to 'jump start' some of the gray cells, I seem to recall the left hand shake in Cubs & Scouts, also had something to do with being able to solute at the same time, with your right hand.
Hope you & Marg are staying safe and keeping healthy. smile
- Johnn
Posted By: duck911 Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/26/20
So let me get this right... we are all being taught to sneeze into our elbows, and now we are supposed to bump with those same elbows?

How about, there is just no need to touch me, anywhere, for any reason.

If they give you a puzzled look, you can always say "Hau Kola" or "yah-ta-hey"
Posted By: efw Re: New protocols for greeting - 03/26/20
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Since `979 the only salute I've given was the occasional one finger type. Be a man. If the occasional handshake was fatal we would have all died long ago - or is this the first infectious virus in the history of the world.

Yep. My friends shake. Others (such as in business) get “I’d shake your hand but...” fading off into whatever the hearer would like whether “...that could endanger the future of the human race!” Or “...big brother says we shouldn’t...”
© 24hourcampfire