Home
Posted By: jdunham Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Here we go again! So I was told I will be laid off due to the NYS lockdown and will have some free time on my hands. I have some reloading to catch up on and have recently found a new 30-06 load for an upcoming Moose hunt in September. Hornady Superformance Powder is what this rifle really likes with a 180 Partition. I never use this powder and only had a 1/2 pound or so. I figured I would do a bunch of shooting while I was off and was going to load a bunch of this 30-06 load up. Stopped at my go to gun store to get more of this powder and it was packed with people, and there were about 10 long guns left on the rack out of a couple hundred that are usually there. Gun racks were literally bare. Ammo shelves were empty and of course most of the common powders and reloading components were sold out. Tried a couple other stores with the same results and I see online inventories seem to be not what they should be, along with most sites talking abut a big influx of orders and delays. Looking like another hoarding episode is on the horizon. I don't see the upcoming election calming people's fears.

Did finally find a couple pounds at a small shop about 45 minutes away. I want to be able to shoot this week and didn't want to order online if I didn't have to, I only found it in stock at one place. I needed a ride anyway, I am already going stir crazy, nothing is open here and what is left is shutting down after tomorrow. Online inventories aren't in critical stage but seem to be drying up on certain things. Anyone else seeing this yet or is it a local thing in the few states that are locking down?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
People hoarding everything.

I'm in the middle of moving and I didn't realize how much ammo I have.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
I just moved my reloading room upstairs. My wife was shocked at my inventory, LOL!
Posted By: ribka Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
I moved recently and my back is still sore from moving ammo.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
I've been focussing on organizing and making mine a bit more portable if the need arises. Having stuff in boxes and strewn around isn't a good idea. I've bought a fair number of these when they offered an additional discount and they've been just what the dr. ordered.

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-ammo-can-desert-tan.html
Posted By: Lennie Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Do need help moving ? I'll gladly help move your ammo as long as you don't count it as we load it in my truck.😊
Posted By: jdunham Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I've been focussing on organizing and making mine a bit more portable if the need arises. Having stuff in boxes and strewn around isn't a good idea. I've bought a fair number of these when they offered an additional discount and they've been just what the dr. ordered.

After my wife's shock at everything I have, I was told I need to come up with some sort of organization for it. She is of course correct. Those type of bins and some shelving are in order I think.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
I have one bullet in my left shirt pocket. It's going to stay there.

At least, that is what I tell everyone.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Dumb [bleep] didn't learn from the last go around of panic buying when Obama took office. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot with this hoarding and panic induced buying. There are some amoung the shooting community dumb enough to never learn. Exhibit "A" all those who rushed out to buy AR-15's and later were offered pennies on the dollar of the hyper inflated prices they'd paid after being convinced they would no longer be able purchase them. Took a royal hosing they did !
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Hording?, no. I'm old, and don't shot all that much.
Posted By: Hectortwsp Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
think you are bored? I am in the middle of having concrete work done tore the decks off of house front and back been using a step ladder to climg up to house for over a weeks so far, mud is 12" deep. Yesterday contractor told me he must stop working for who knows how long and even if he wanted to do work on the sly he could not get ready mix delivered to pour!
So my 70 year old wife is climbing and descending a f#$king ladder to get in and out of the house!
Posted By: ribka Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Ammo sure has been cheap and very abundant the past few years. Shame some didn't plan again.
Posted By: drover Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by ribka
Ammo sure has been cheap and very abundant the past few years. Shame some didn't plan again.

True statement - I got caught short of primers during that crisis back in 80's, I have not been short of ammo or components since. I am always amazed at quickly people become complacent.

drover
Posted By: MD521 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
I've been buying when I found a deal for the last 30 years. I don't know why I started so late in life.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Half the household in the USA had a 22LR rifle and ~25 rounds of ammo in a 50 round box, and consumed 2 shots a year, when obuma took office.

For $40 and 0.2 sq ft of closet storage space one could get a brick of 500 rounds of 22lr ammo.

Who wouldn't want to do that?

The trouble was 22lr manufacturing requires very expensive tooling. The manufacturers would run 3 shifts, but would not buy new tooling.

That hoarding and maxed out production fed on itself and caused years of shortages.
Posted By: las Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20

Just buy a semi trailer, and tractor. You guys, sheesh! I have to tell you everything! smile
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rifle and Pistol ammo on the left Shotgun ammo on the right I stock up every spring for the next hunting season. Rio7
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by RIO7

Rifle and Pistol ammo on the left Shotgun ammo on the right I stock up every spring for the next hunting season. Rio7

Seriously????????

Holy Hell.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
The store manager at the Cabelas near me said that they are not receiving any ammo resupply. His last shipment of any ammo was nine boxes, not cases, of ammo on the truck.

So it is being cut off and diverted somewhere.

Everyone should have learned after the Obama created shortages.

Dad, is that you??? smile
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20

Better shoot it up and enjoy it

Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Dumb [bleep] didn't learn from the last go around of panic buying when Obama took office. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot with this hoarding and panic induced buying. There are some amoung the shooting community dumb enough to never learn. Exhibit "A" all those who rushed out to buy AR-15's and later were offered pennies on the dollar of the hyper inflated prices they'd paid after being convinced they would no longer be able purchase them. Took a royal hosing they did !

This round of panic buying is a majority of first-time gun owners (hopeful of becoming a gun owner)...not guys who already own firearms.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
The younger folks are realizing the weapons/ammo in their video games don't transfer very well out of the virtual world and into the real world.

New priorities.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by jeffbird
The store manager at the Cabelas near me said that they are not receiving any ammo resupply. His last shipment of any ammo was nine boxes, not cases, of ammo on the truck.

So it is being cut off and diverted somewhere.

Everyone should have learned after the Obama created shortages.

Once again, as much as I don't care for him, he didn't create the shortages - we did.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Even before Sandy Hook, I was in the practice of maintaining a fairly large back supply of whatever I regularly shot. After Sandy Hook, I upped my game on that a little, so this time around I felt no urge at all to rush out and try to buy anything. I did just happen to take delivery on a thousand round case of 9mm range ammo just a couple of days before the panic started, but it had nothing to do with the current situation. I already had about 1,500 rounds of range 9mm put away, but under my system, that was "getting low," so it was time to order that additional thousand rounds to keep up a comfortable supply. I'm similarly stocked up on (i.e., measured in cases not rounds) 5.56, 7.62X39, 7.62×54mmR, 7.62 NATO, .45 ACP, .38 Special, .45 Colt, 00 Buck 12 gauge, 12 gauge Foster Slugs, and .22 rimfire, and to a lesser extent .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .40 S&W, 10mm, .32 S&W Long, .380 ACP, .30-30, 32 Win Spec, .270, .30-06, .45-70, etc., etc., etc..
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20

When I moved back in 2002, most everything was professionally moved. The only thing I moved myself was my ammo stockpile (small by my current standard). I just loaded it into the trunk of my Carola, and the back seat floors. My tires nearly touched the tops of my wheel wells. I guess I needed stronger shocks
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
I know nothing. What is this ammo you speak of?
Posted By: sse Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
are on-liine sellers still filling orders?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by sse
are on-liine sellers still filling orders?

Slowly. They are almost all behind.

Haven't bought a single round.
I've seen some posting shipping delays of 10-15 days.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20

sweet! very nicly done sir
Posted By: Buck720 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Some of you guys have some real mental ssues! Do I need to find y’all some online therapy thinking you need this quantity of ammo?
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20

RIO7: Do you own a fire extinguisher?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Guess I've got a different way of doing this?

Sorry I can't show you what's in the bottom locker. It's classified. Lead shielding is your friend.
Originally Posted by P_Weed

RIO7: Do you own a fire extinguisher?

Rio ain't got time for that kind of sissy crap.
Originally Posted by Buck720
Some of you guys have some real mean talent issues! Do I need to find y’all some online therapy thinking you need this quantity of ammo?

I don't know what a mean talent is. How much ammo should we be allowed to have?
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Some of you guys have some real mean talent issues! Do I need to find y’all some online therapy thinking you need this quantity of ammo?

I think that means he forgot to stock up, now it’s too late.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
When I help retiring bachelors move [I can still do manual labor], they typically have 2,000 pounds of ammo and or reloading and 2000 pounds of guns. Clintonomics, Y2K, Obamanomics, all were excuses to hoard ammo. The Seattle area is awash with money and old timers that want out of here.

Married guys, not so much. They have more furniture.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

This round of panic buying is a majority of first-time gun owners (hopeful of becoming a gun owner)...not guys who already own firearms.
This is correct. Almost all our customers this past week have been newbies. The regulars are staying away. We've sold 70-120 guns a day for the past 9 days. Normal is about 10-20. The big sellers are guns like SD9VEs, M&P EZs, Shockwaves and cheaper ARs (M&P Sports and Rugers). It's all first time buyers. The sad part is that it's so busy that you can't spend as much time with first timers as you should.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
What we need is a auto resupply fulfillment like Amazon has, but for Ammo. $xx.xx per month or paycheck delivered to our doors without having to think about it.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
I think Rio works at a gun shop...
Posted By: jwall Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by jdunham
I just moved my reloading room upstairs. My wife was shocked at my inventory, LOL!

ha ha. grin My wife AIN'T got a clue and won't know what to do with it when I'm gone (permanently).

I was counting on my hunting/shooting pard helping her in the event.

SADLY, he passed 2 yrs ago. frown NO one and I mean NO one, I know personally handloads anymore and even they
would NOT know about H 4350 or Rl 26. NOT to mention surplus 4831 !!! shocked I don't remember the year but WHEN powders went above $ 12.00 /# I began
stocking up. I have more than I will EVER shoot up -> Thank You Lord ! smile

I AIN'T hoarding.... I've been stocking up little by little over the years. wink

Ammo, componentS (brass, primers, powder, bullets) shortage DON'T bother me. Sorry I got prepared !!
No Regerts < lol > cool
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

LOL.

Nope. smile

AIN'T NO body’s BUSINESS !!!! EVERY American NEEDS enuff to hold Thieves & Damocrats off !
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Some of you guys have some real mental ssues! Do I need to find y’all some online therapy thinking you need this quantity of ammo?

Did you have to pay for any of their ammo?
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Good Luck with that Front Stuffer! ! Even the Indians THRU down their bows & arrows.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20

Why don't you go f uck yourself thoroughly?

That's the type of crap the gun grabbers say and try to legislate.

"Need" has nothing to do with it.

But I would soundly kick your ass up to around shoulder level for telling me I have "mental issues" for not complying with what YOUR amount of ammo restrictions are!

Seriously.

Fuggin' idiot.
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by Lennie

When I was down at Ft Bragg I stopped in to visit a cousin who was living there in Fayetteville and that's about what his garage looked like.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
If you're out....you're not a gun crank or shooter!!

Simple as that!
IMHO, it's dangerous to run out of ammo in a gun fight. When the Brits went to Lexington, they were mostly after the colonials powder supply.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Anybody can own as much ammo as they want but I find it ironic that some of these same people cry about never being able to retire because they don't have enough savings or investments. But then, to each his own. I have enough of both.
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Anybody can own as much ammo as they want but I find it ironic that some of these same people cry about never being able to retire because they don't have enough savings or investments. But then, to each his own. I have enough of both.

Good point.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20

Cool, Saturday afternoon will be great but what you gonna do on sunday? You got some beer,ribs and scag lined out?
MB

We usually put in our order for ammo at the Shot Show, and ammo usually arrives the first of March, as you can see we order in bulk, cheaper that way, we start Training people on rifle, pistol and shotgun, in the fall, about 5 day's a week, then hunting starts, with Dove, about Sept.1st. Oct. 1st. deer and exotic's, Quail, hunting gets going, depending on the weather we may hunt birds in the morning and big game in the afternoon or the other way around. or just big game, we hunt till about March 15th.

Rio7

We usually put in our order for ammo at the Shot Show, and ammo usually arrives the first of March, as you can see we order in bulk, cheaper that way, we start Training people on rifle, pistol and shotgun, in the fall, about 5 day's a week, then hunting starts, with Dove, about Sept.1st. Oct. 1st. deer and exotic's, Quail, hunting gets going, depending on the weather we may hunt birds in the morning and big game in the afternoon or the other way around. or just big game, we hunt till about March 15th.

Rio7
Do they ever slip up and double your order?

No, But I slip up and double post once in awhile. Rio7
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by bbassi
What we need is a auto resupply fulfillment like Amazon has, but for Ammo. $xx.xx per month or paycheck delivered to our doors without having to think about it.

Cool idea, I just sent an email to the Dollar Shave Club,

8 razors every 2 months and a lb of H4350,

It could happen.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20

Holy [bleep]. Wow.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/21/20

Holy [bleep]. Wow.

He really only has one room.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
If you’ve been around in this hobby for a few years and are short on reloading components, well......
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
Whats that about a picture and a thousand words...:) enough said !!!

Posted By: 12344mag Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20

RIO7 is my new hero, from now on he shall be known as Uncle Rio.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
RIO7,

You sir are now elected as Captain of the all star team. I thought I was doing pretty good, my friends call my room the gun shop. I am however way far behind.

I was still living and working full time in Massachusetts when Katrina struck. I took time off and loaded my pickup and cargo trailer up with supplies I thought friends and family would need. As part of my security for the trip I took my HiPower and three hundred rounds of carry ammo and my police 870 with a hundred round mix of slugs and buckshot. The first night there my brother's inlaw asked me did I have any extra ammo for his Glock 9mm. I reached under the seat and gave him a hundred rounds. Then his other inlaw asked me for ammo for his Glock 40 which I did not have. That's when I got a case of the azz and told them they were a sorry excuse for a bunch of rednecks. All guns and no ammo, what the Hell.

Not that I needed a new lesson, but that experience reinforced the mind set of needing to be prepared, whether it be food, shelter, guns and ammo, equipment, medicine or cash. I absolutely have no need for someone else to tell me what I have to much of.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

these work well also. 5 gal bucket will hold a good bit of ammo..

even more loose
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
Cool, I'll check 'em out Bigdave.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
Cool, I'll check 'em out Bigdave.

Lowe’s amd homedept sell them.

Different brands but prolly same thing. Made in USA.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20

Dad, is that you??? smile

Step daddy to you....Papa to me. Laffin 😎
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by jdunham

ha ha. grin My wife AIN'T got a clue and won't know what to do with it when I'm gone (permanently).

I was counting on my hunting/shooting pard helping her in the event.

SADLY, he passed 2 yrs ago. frown NO one and I mean NO one, I know personally handloads anymore and even they
would NOT know about H 4350 or Rl 26. NOT to mention surplus 4831 !!! shocked I don't remember the year but WHEN powders went above $ 12.00 /# I began
stocking up. I have more than I will EVER shoot up -> Thank You Lord ! smile

I AIN'T hoarding.... I've been stocking up little by little over the years. wink

Ammo, componentS (brass, primers, powder, bullets) shortage DON'T bother me. Sorry I got prepared !!
No Regerts < lol > cool

Tell your wife to call me, I'll buy the 4350 and R26. smile
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
Reminds me of Scrooge McDuck's money room.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
RIO--holy chit! I'm thoroughly impressed! You win.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
Most of us learned a few things after barack was elected
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by 12344mag
...from now on he shall be known as Uncle Rio.

I see what you did there. 😉
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Reminds me of Scrooge McDuck's money room.

LOL. grin

Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20

As much as we want.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
I’d like see his warehouse that stores all his bags of deer corn for those bait piles.

Pffft, just joking

Silos
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by dodgefan

When I was down at Ft Bragg I stopped in to visit a cousin who was living there in Fayetteville and that's about what his garage looked like.

i had a client a few years ago that passed away. that's what the garage looked like.
mistake i made was not offering more for the .50, rifle, and all the reloading/componet stuff.
Posted By: kellory Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Sorry I can't show you what's in the bottom locker. It's classified. Lead shielding is your friend.

Flux capacitor?
Posted By: kellory Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20

Really? Another bike nut?
Posted By: Slavek Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by kellory

Well, taking bike ride is a wonderful exercise and relief of stress, much better than dealing with crowds at LGS.
Posted By: lastround Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
I don’t hoard ammo. Just bullets, primers, and powder. Got a lot of brass.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
I don’t hoard it either. However, having what some might consider an excessive amount puts my simple mind at ease
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20

That's pretty good.

Actually I think there was a couple of bikes. One for him and one for his wife, but I'm not positive on that since I wasn't paying much attention to bikes back then.

I will say as someone who used to run for fun and can't really do it now because of wear and tear on the body that a hard bike ride is a pretty fair replacement for a good run.

I actually own a bunch of bikes now.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
I have about 3,000 rounds of 22LR, some 9mm and a bunch of everything but I really didn't see this coming. If I buy something now, it might be taking from a 1st time gun buyer, and I would neve want a 1st time gun buyer to not have ammo. I worked with a kid this week. Just turned 21 and wanted to buy a SIG, of some sort. He went to Cabelas and saw the line and said forget it. He lives on the east side of Milwaukee and said there are enough meth heads that they might start breaking in when they are in need of meth. He does have his 12 ga. however.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20

Same. I'm a hoar-der
I got several bus boy service tubs from Sams wholesale. Got them use as meat lugs processing deer.

They’re great for manhandling 40-50 lbs of ammo, moving it around and stacking it up.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/22/20
I've got a five thousand round sealed case of Thunderbolt, and about that much again of various other kinds, mostly Federal and CCI. So about 10,000 rounds of .22 rimfire, total.

I learned from the post-Sandy Hook rimfire shortage and scalping. Right after supply came back and prices came down, I ordered that case, and started regularly stacking CCI, Federal, etc., little by little.
I posted my bricks

But have about 10k more of partial bricks and, 3-5 of this n that, then I have about 5k shorts. I have several shoe box size clear Rubbermaid stackers.

Almost prophetic, several yrs ago, I used pick up 3,4 those acrylic 100 count jewel boxes of cci mini mags from an LGS here. I felt guilty not buying at least something after they let see and hold every new arrival from the racks. smile

Alwaysoutdoors and renegade know the place...”Grandpas” seen where even Colin Powell mentioned going when he was here , right down from Gate 1, Ft Campbell. Was a heck of store at one time
Posted By: kellory Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20

That's pretty good.

Actually I think there was a couple of bikes. One for him and one for his wife, but I'm not positive on that since I wasn't paying much attention to bikes back then.

I will say as someone who used to run for fun and can't really do it now because of wear and tear on the body that a hard bike ride is a pretty fair replacement for a good run.

I actually own a bunch of bikes now.

I ran cross country track in school, but these days, I prefer my bikes with motors.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20

Rio7

Tip of the hat!
Posted By: kellory Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Just a thought....
There are lines 25 deep at the counter, awaiting background checks. All of the pistol ammo here was gone at Cabela's. However, I had no issues at all buying another couple boxes of .450 Bushmaster. 4 varieties still in stock. Yet I can't find another box of 9mm defense ammo in town. (Sold out).
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Just a thought....
There are lines 25 deep at the counter, awaiting background checks. All of the pistol ammo here was gone at Cabela's. However, I had no issues at all buying another couple boxes of .450 Bushmaster. 4 varieties still in stock. Yet I can't find another box of 9mm defense ammo in town. (Sold out).

If you are out of defensive 9mm, just use FMJ. If you have a .45, and only ball for it, that's likely more effective than 9mm ball.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Yeah, you kooks are making life tough for me. I tried to re order 9MM ammo for my folks here and the price has tripled.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Yeah, you kooks are making life tough for me. I tried to re order 9MM ammo for my folks here and the price has tripled.

I disagree, Jorge.

The kooks didn't need to order a single box of ammo. grin

It's the dumbasses that are the root cause. The ones that don't keep enough ammo on hand.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
I don’t “need” anything. I usually just replace what I use in my inventory of supplies. If for some reason I can’t find it I just start going into what I have as normal inventory. I just don’t like to get too low on anything to the point I do “need” something to keep shooting. I have enough to shoot most anything through a pretty significant drought. Looking online now it looks like we definitely in the beginning of another hoarding season.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I disagree, Jorge.

It's the dumbasses that are the root cause. The ones that don't keep enough ammo on hand.

Touche'

Touche'

smile

I disagree, Jorge.

This..
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Lots of you hoarders wives and kids will thank you when you croak and they can sell it all off.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
I don’t usually pass this on, but if you get your head out of your hind end now, Midsouth has this

Unless you’re “too good” to shoot Geco brand

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
I don’t get the hoarding mentality at all. A flint and some rags, a bit of lead is all it took to set us free awhile back.
Originally Posted by Duckhunter
Lots of you hoarders wives and kids will thank you when you croak and they can sell it all off.

Lots of you Fudds will be wishing for an AR and a case of ammo to protect YOUR wife and kids.

Not everyone that has laid by a stock of ammo, or food, or even toilet paper are "hoarders".

But they do sit back and laugh at the hoarders, and other dumbasses.
Posted By: hanco Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
I have a bunch, wish I had more!
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Originally Posted by 12344mag
...from now on he shall be known as Uncle Rio.

I see what you did there. 😉

doesn't work, latecomer. a whole bunch of us started calling him uncle or grampa years ago.
those quemato campouts were fun.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I don’t usually pass this on, but if you get your head out of your hind end now, Midsouth has this

i bought a few cases of that in various calibers a couple of years ago, found it to be good ammo. geico if i remember correctly is made by rws, a european conglomerate.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
I got caught short on .22 rimfire "the last time". I learned from that. I've been stockpiling .22s since Trump's election day, when I bought a case in case the election went sideways. Since then, UPS has been hauling a lot of .22LR my direction. Never again.

I've always had a schittload of centerfire ammo on hand, for pistol and rifle, and enough components to replace them all a couple of times. I think I've got four flats of 12 gauge, too. Never again.
Posted By: Buck720 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
I have a stash of ammo myself but what good would 100 million rounds do any good for if you miss the first shot. Now the crack head thug has all your ammo and all your toilet tissue!
there was a guy on a local forum couple of days ago advertising a box of 20 of .223 or box of 50fmj 9mm for 35.00 each. profiteering already.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
I like the 40mm ammo cans. They can get pretty heavy when they are full of .223. But, there is a handle on each end for a 2 man lift.

kwg
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
I have bricks of 22 ammo.... but how many N95 masks I have is a private matter.
I have a stash of ammo myself but what good would 100 million rounds do any good for if you miss the first shot. Now the crack head thug has all your ammo and all your toilet tissue!

Who has a 100 million rounds?

Not I.

But the crack head thugs better bring their lunch.

I have still not forgotten your comment earlier in the thread, BTW.

Some of you guys have some real mental issues! Do I need to find y’all some online therapy thinking you need this quantity of ammo?

What quantity of ammo do you recommend for a person to defend his home and family, and sustain during a prolonged crisis?

I'm sure everyone is waiting on your expert opinion... whistle
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
I only have maybe a hundred rounds of 9mm, whatever will I do? Oh wait, I have close to 1000 rounds each of 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 308, and 45 Colt, so maybe I can muddle through............ wink
Posted By: Techsan Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by hanco

My thoughts exactly.
I guess as much as one chooses. My statement was only to let people know “I” personally wouldn’t be advertising what I have stashed on a public forum because you never know who is lurking and watching any posts at anytime. I personally don’t want the government to have any cause to raid my house for a photo I posted of what I own.
I don’t know who you are you don’t know who I am neither does most people on here. You might be the best person in the world and I would never judge someone for what they have to each there own. Even though I do know a few people on here there are lurkers that watch all of the time. Just trying to help people watch out for themselves. Just always remember because someone says who they are or what they do for a living on any website doesn’t mean that’s who they truly are.
Originally Posted by Techsan
Originally Posted by hanco

My thoughts exactly.

More is always better.
I guess as much as one chooses. My statement was only to let people know “I” personally wouldn’t be advertising what I have stashed on a public forum because you never know who is lurking and watching any posts at anytime. I personally don’t want the government to have any cause to raid my house for a photo I posted of what I own.
I don’t know who you are you don’t know who I am neither does most people on here. You might be the best person in the world and I would never judge someone for what they have to each there own. Even though I do know a few people on here there are lurkers that watch all of the time. Just trying to help people watch out for themselves. Just always remember because someone says who they are or what they do for a living on any website doesn’t mean that’s who they truly are.

Has anyone said they were doing anything criminal here? I must have missed that. Short of that, why wouldn't folks on a gun forum be free to talk about gun and shooting related topics without fear of the man?

The threat of "govt raiding your house" because you have guns and ammo as allowed by God given rights, and confirmed by the U.S. Constitution is exactly why We The People do have it.

The comment that some have "mental issues" and need therapy for having guns and ammo is the dangerous part.

Don't try and twist what you said, into concern for our well being. That dog won't hunt.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Has anyone said they were doing anything criminal here? I must have missed that. Short of that, why wouldn't folks on a gun forum be free to talk about gun and shooting related topics without fear of the man?

No one is doing anything criminal I made a statement the other day and I think it was taking personal my apologies.
Posted By: WAM Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Couple of weeks ago, 9mm was under $9 a box.

If you are in a tizzy looking for ammo now, where the heck have you been the last 5 years?

Quite a difference between panic buying/hoarding and thoughtful planning....
Originally Posted by WAM

If you are in a tizzy looking for ammo now, where the heck have you been the last 5 years?

Yep. I had about 2,500 rounds of range 9mm (along with several hundred rounds of carry 9mm) before the panic buying (and price gouging) started. For someone who shoots several hundred rounds of 9mm a week, that's not as much as it sounds, but now that the price gouging and shortages have begun, I guess I won't be shooting at nearly the same rate as I'm accustomed for a while. Been thinking of getting back into my cap and ball revolvers. Lead ball hasn't increased in price or lowered in availability, and I'm stocked up for life on black powder and caps.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Ammo is like toilet paper. If I’m alive tomorrow, I’m going to need it. Foolish to run short. Hasbeen
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20

How do you join in February and already “know a few people on here”? Personally know? Or ones and zeroes acquaintances?

What was your old handle?

I’ve been here 7 years and only know one person, and already knew him before I joined.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
I have never ever heard of anyone throughout history anywhere that lost a battle by having too much ammo.

How do you join in February and already “know a few people on here”? Personally know? Or ones and zeroes acquaintances?

What was your old handle?

I’ve been here 7 years and only know one person, and already knew him before I joined.

Because that is how i found out about this site is through friends! Wasn’t shopping for one.

Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Seems we chit regularly and choot regularly

What we have might seem like a lot to some

Whereas it seems a lil short to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Gotta quit feeding them so much fiber I guess
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Nowdays i just take stock of what we have been using and load some up.

I try to stay ahead of being short.

So far the 25-45,556,40S&W and the 308 are done.

Did do some 38 spl before things went sideways.

Now it's just what i feel is needed.
Posted By: jacksprat Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20

Son of a...
How long have you been doing this?
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
There's no such thing as having to much ammo or to many guns. From the YouTube videos I've watched on killing terrorists I'm convinced that the government is going to win a gun battle with us. But I don't see a tribe of freeloaders and deadbeats fearing very well at the zoo.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20

The threat of "govt raiding your house" because you have guns and ammo as allowed by God given rights, and confirmed by the U.S. Constitution is exactly why We The People do have it.

The comment that some have "mental issues" and need therapy for having guns and ammo is the dangerous part.

Don't try and twist what you said, into concern for our well being. That dog won't hunt.

Agreed.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
My problem is leftover odds and ends. Three rounds of this, 12 rounds of that other handload, 8 A-frame bullets from when I was working up loads, etc. Some weird brand gun oil that came with a gun I once bought, etc. I still have about 10 bottles of military gun oil from the 1960s. Since we're on "lockdown," I'm going to have go through my stuff and weed some out. If I haven't touched it for 20 years, it needs to go. A few years ago I ended up plinking through about 100 rounds of 30-06 just to get rid of it.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

#1. Never, ever, ever trust a dhimocrat. smile
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
I never did a ammo hoard...I’ve always considered the possibility of ammo shortages when the political SHTF in the 90’s and decided ammo was just as important as bread, eggs, and milk.

Just bought a little every week over the years...😎
Posted By: las Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
I have several hundred rounds of .410 #7 1/2 and have never owned a .410. Acquired incidently here and there

That's not hoarding. That's "I need a .410"!
Originally Posted by las
I have several hundred rounds of .410 #7 1/2 and have never owned a .410. Acquired incidently here and there

I have a few boxes of .300 Savage, and my savage rifle is chambered in .308 Winchester. Reason for this is that years ago I bought a used Savage 99 in .300 Savage, but it was non-functional, so I got a refund for it, but I never got to shoot the ammo I bought for it. I wanted another one in .300 Savage, but the nicest one I could find was in .308, so that's what I bought.

I also have tons of .22 caliber pellets, but no longer own a .22 caliber pellet rifle. I really need to get one so I can shoot them.
Posted By: centershot Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
When Walmart had Fed 550 Bulk Packs of 22lr for $16.97 I picked up 1/2 dz boxes as well as a few others over the past year or two. Did get a couple thousand primers and a couple pounds of powder as well as 5-600 bullets to reload. Should keep me going through the summer or maybe a couple years if I have to scrimp. Not exactly hoarding, more like reasonably well stocked.
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/24/20
My club has a wholesale acct with a distributor in Okieland.
No tax, no shipping and they deliver every other Thursday.

I'm well stocked on pretty much everything as far as ammo and components go.
Posted By: jwall Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/27/20
Originally Posted by WAM

I stopped by my LGS to check on things. Didn't NEED anything but I bought ONE box of 40 SW.
I saw this for the First time and HAD to take a pic. Check out Floor Mat

laugh laugh

I checked on 'some' ammo and there was NO 9 mm.

NO problem for me as I HAVE BEEN stocked up.

There is an ADVANTAGE to having a 40 SW shocked smile

I bought 1 box of Aguila, 40 in 180 FMJ, $15.99 per 50.
I left ALL the rest for other folk.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/27/20
Guy at RK bought $1000 worth a couple weeks ago.
My ol lady thought it funny.

Any gun guy should already have enough.
Could see new folks panicking.

Im off work and would like to hit the range, but we are in lockdown and it's some distance away.

Time off work, have ammo............can't shoot.

Aint that a pisser.

Raining, when it stops I'll flip a few arrows in the back yard.
Posted By: SKane Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/27/20
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

No sir.

But he is my hero! laugh
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/27/20
Yep. That's about the only reason I bought a police-trade-in Glock 22 for about $300.00 (pretty close to new when I bought it) last year. That is to say, because when there's a run on ammo, there's likely still going to be some .40 S&W available.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/27/20
Yep. That's about the only reason I bought a police-trade-in Glock 22 for about $300.00 (pretty close to new when I bought it) last year. That is to say, because when there's a run on ammo, there's likely still going to be some .40 S&W available.

Yep. Premium ammo through cheap reload 10mm is plentiful. I already have enough 10mm to wear out a brand new Glock...but it's nice to know if I wanted more all I have to do is pay for it...or reload it.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/27/20
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

i bought a few cases of that in various calibers a couple of years ago, found it to be good ammo. geico if i remember correctly is made by rws, a european conglomerate.

It was $13.99 last week before the rush .
Posted By: 44mc Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/27/20
i know a guy that can not stand to see a empty case it dont matter what it is pistol / rifle /or shot gun .he has to reload it . when he started reloading he went nuts. now he likes to reload more than hunting or shooting .he treats his ammo like it is gold .he loads stuff he dont even own a gun for .just to have it .
Posted By: sidepass Re: Ammo Hoarding - 03/27/20
Originally Posted by las

I just love this. I had 4 cases of 28 gauge before i bought my 28. Salesman asks " need any ammo" naw got plenty"oh yea?"
Posted By: kellory Re: Ammo Hoarding - 04/01/20
Just a thought....

If you are out of defensive 9mm, just use FMJ. If you have a .45, and only ball for it, that's likely more effective than 9mm ball.

I'm not out of ammo. Just thought it would be a good idea to add a bit to the shelf. I do not have enough gear yet to start learning reloading, so I'm limited by what I can buy, which seems to be made from unobtanioum.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ammo Hoarding - 04/01/20
Originally Posted by hookeye
Guy at RK bought $1000 worth a couple weeks ago.
My ol lady thought it funny.

Any gun guy should already have enough.
Could see new folks panicking.

Im off work and would like to hit the range, but we are in lockdown and it's some distance away.

Time off work, have ammo............can't shoot.

Aint that a pisser.

Raining, when it stops I'll flip a few arrows in the back yard.

Same here. My county is on lock down by order of the commissioners, who issued a stay at home order (apart from necessities like food, medicine, and doctor visit). My outdoor gun club, though, is in the county over, which has no stay at home order, and is open. Thinking about going today to shoot some cap and ball revolver.
Posted By: TwoTrax Re: Ammo Hoarding - 04/01/20
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

#1. Never, ever, ever trust a dhimocrat. smile

+1000 for sure on the demonrats and there are more than a couple rino's in the republican party too.....
© 24hourcampfire