Home
Posted By: jnyork How about Utah? - 03/21/20
What's going on up there, are you guys shut down like Kali and Nevada?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: How about Utah? - 03/21/20
Nope. Our restaurants are carry-out/curb service only, and they are encouraging work from home. Theaters and such closed. But that's about it.

We also don't have nearly as many cases of Kung Flu as those states. I just checked local news, and it was 122 cases total counting residents and tourists. Most of them in (liberal) Salt Lake City itself and (ultra celebrity lib) Park City. No deaths at all.

Edit to add: They are encouraging people to get outside. Hike, golf, fish... just get out in the fresh air.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: How about Utah? - 03/21/20
Nobody went to CPAC? thats where our politicians caught it. Or at least self-quarantined after they got back.

Sycamore
Posted By: memtb Re: How about Utah? - 03/21/20

Whole lotta shake’n going on! Possibly caused but rush to purchase.....I don’t think the residents of SLC were as prepared as the founders! memtb
It has always been a practice among our Mormons to have a two-year supply of staple foods in storage, to prepare for crop failures. I suspect that over the past few decades, that practice has shall we say dwindled. Still, disaster prep and food storage supplies are BIG business here. Hardly anyone does not have a basic 72-hour kit close at hand.

On the other hand, the percentage of Mormon versus others here is steadily and surely sliding towards the "other" side. We have a huge Hispanic population, a surprisingly large Asian population, and a not insignificant share of other/other such as myself who moved here because of work and fall into a completely different demographic than those born here.

In some respects, then, the current panic over things like paper supplies is a bit surprising. I think a lot of it is internet-driven and not a reflection of real necessity. We shrugged off the earthquake this week, as one example. But the spectre of some invisible but contagious nasty plays funny tricks on otherwise rational minds.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: How about Utah? - 03/21/20
I've read that we have more Mormons per capita here in Idaho than Utah has. I don't know if it's true.
Posted By: nealglen37 Re: How about Utah? - 03/21/20
If you get the chance................give Mitt Romney the finger for me.
I certainly shall, 37.
Posted By: EdM Re: How about Utah? - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've read that we have more Mormons per capita here in Idaho than Utah has. I don't know if it's true.

I have heard as well.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: How about Utah? - 03/21/20
Probably a good idea to steer clear of Utah until this panic is over.

Those people have a 10 to 1 gun to wife ratio.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: How about Utah? - 03/21/20
Down here in southwest Utah, St. George, restaurants closed except takeout, grocery stores crowded and out of a lot of stuff, but convenience stores and gas stations open. Went to Sportsman's Warehouse today, long line outside, letting only 50 in at the time, so I just left and will go back another time. Seems like panic buying is setting in. Wife is a school teacher and will be doing online teaching for the rest of the year. Just a handful of covid cases so far, waiting like everyone else to see if this is going to be a short or long-term thing. Wife's daughter in Seattle has gotten it and is quarantined at home.

On the bright side, the weather is great, we live in beautiful country in a relatively small city, and I am just 15 minutes away from my shooting hole in the Arizona Strip. Wish everyone the best and hope this gets over with soon.
Posted By: Boyd45 Re: How about Utah? - 03/21/20
Bristo: Are you SURE about that ratio? It is Utah.
It's a bit suspect, to be sure. But then again, Utah has so much high-tech, medical, military, and construction influx that it might very well be accurate.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: How about Utah? - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe

prob a good idea..........

I've only got one wife....but..........guns ?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: How about Utah? - 03/21/20

Got out today.......to Richfield.......

Lotta farmers/ranchers..........lotta fat chics.......

Reg gas is $2.14.......Walmart was busy......we wore rubber gloves......

No panic buying.....shelves stocked......but no flour...yeast.....butter

Stopped at Pappa Murphies for a take out pizza........

Washed it down with some boot legged AZ Molson beer........99's would be proud

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Blackbat242 Re: How about Utah? - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I have heard as well.

Utah is down to between 60% and 55% Mormon - Idaho is still up around 25%, and Wyoming is 3rd with ~12%.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: How about Utah? - 03/22/20

First Utah death reported..........

https://www.ksl.com/article/4673293...d-cases-up-to-181-health-department-says
Posted By: gunzo Re: How about Utah? - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by Bristoe

prob a good idea..........

I've only got one wife....but..........guns ?

You guys thinkin about guns & all I could think about is how much puzzy I'd be cut off from if I had 10 wives. 10.

10 wives & still have ta look for a hooker, ain't that a bitch.
Posted By: WVGuy Re: How about Utah? - 03/22/20
It would be my luck, with multiple wives, they would all cycle together.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: How about Utah? - 03/23/20

Rural Utah us a great place to be right now. Safe and largely free from hysteria
Posted By: tikkanut Re: How about Utah? - 03/23/20
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Rural Utah us a great place to be right now. Safe and largely free from hysteria

yep UR right........

I'm gonna lay low for a while.....out here

After the next batch of storms pass anyhow.......

Posted By: stomatador Re: How about Utah? - 03/23/20

I'm working from home much of the time. Somehow my schedule has become 4:00 AM - 11:00 then a break and a couple more hours in the afternoon. We've had to fill out critical processes forms for work so it wouldn't surprise me if the went something more strict than just a suggestion.

An acquaintance who works at Sportmans said they've had a huge run on shotguns being purchased by 1st time gun owners for home defense. I guess they're planning on having to defend their butt wipe and ramen.

Within a couple miles we have sources for eggs, milk, ice cream (Casper's factory has a malt shoppe with a drive through that's still open), and Pepperidge Farms for goldfish and those little Pirouette things.

All in all, not a bad place to hunker down.
Posted By: Blackbat242 Re: How about Utah? - 03/23/20

yep UR right........

I'm gonna lay low for a while.....out here

After the next batch of storms pass anyhow.......

Daymn! I miss the yearly October trips to the Floy Wash area.. haven't been 2015!
Your pic looks like you were a bit east - that is the San Juans, right?
Or is it the Henrys from somewhere else?
© 24hourcampfire