Home
I needed a small project to get my mind off of this COVID stuff. I built this bench over the weekend at our farm. Never a better time to have a little project.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Looks sturdy as can be and heavy. Where will its permanent location be?
Looks good.

Dont get a sliver in your ass......
Man that looks great. Nice and heavy too

Is that chestnut? πŸ˜ƒ

Mr Peck, help us out

It looks good. It will be plenty sturdy!
Originally Posted by slumlord

Is that chestnut? πŸ˜ƒ

Mr Peck, help us out

Nice and sturdy. Looks like pressure treated pine.

I like it.......

type of wood ??

Adding a preservative of any sort......
Yes, it's pressure treated pine. I may paint or stain it at some point. The wood is still really wet. Also, I did sand down all edges after the photos. As far as location, it might stay there for the time being; As you all know, rednecks should be able to shoot and piss off the front porch.
I like it. It should shrink your groups.
Nice work and thanks for keeping us lefties in mind as well ! smile
Kinda spindly looking. Should have gone with rebar reinforce poured concrete.
Nice! Looks beefy! No fork pockets? Grin.
Looks great but maybe heavy.
Make sure to wipe it down with diluted bleach before the next guy shoots. whistle
Originally Posted by justsaymoe

Is that chestnut? πŸ˜ƒ

Mr Peck, help us out

Nice and sturdy. Looks like pressure treated pine.

Of course it’s PTP, probably southern yellow pine, pressure treated. ACQ to boot , since CCA is no longer avail, unless for rafter/metal roofing applications

Nevermind, my crack was referenced to another thread. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tired

What? No cup holders?.πŸ˜„

Lol.... looks great!
I built one very similar just a few weeks ago.
It’s staged at a private range I set up with steel plates out to 500 yards.
Gonna be a fun summer πŸ‘
I’m jealous. Nicely done and thinks for a non apocalyptic thread!
Originally Posted by jdunham
I’m jealous. Nicely done and thinks for a non apocalyptic thread!

Don't know about non-apocolyptic...
Seems like a great bench to defend against the zombie prairie dogs when they come.
I don't know about prairie dogs (wish it were). However, that porch has taken more than its fair share of groundhogs. I got tired of shooting from a rickety patio table. Thanks all for the kind words.
Is that where it sits or are you moving it somewhere else.
Originally Posted by roundoak
I like it. It should shrink your groups.

Especially if you just hung a target on the wall there. grin
Devnull: Man does that bench look sturdy - and ambidextrous as well.
Good for you.
It also looks heavy - do you have to move it somewhere or are you going to shoot from there?
Thanks for sharing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Is that where it sits or are you moving it somewhere else.

That's where it'll be for now. If I get some initiative, I'll put it in the back field where I can shoot farther and build some cover and a concrete pad. However, I do like the convenience of right out the front door.
Very nice!
Here are the plans if anyone is interested:

https://sierrabullets.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/shooting-bench-plans.pdf
Originally Posted by devnull
I don't know about prairie dogs (wish it were). However, that porch has taken more than its fair share of groundhogs. I got tired of shooting from a rickety patio table. Thanks all for the kind words.

Just went back and saw the hill in the background...
My mistake on the Prairie Dogs..Not really prairie is it..

Well done. Looks solid a good place to sit and wait for the hog heads to pop up...
Have fun!
Looks fun, lots of fun! Leave it right there and make it a family tradition for every holiday.
i made the same bench 10-15 years ago. they are great. the only thing i changed was i sistered on a couple more 2x on the left side to give me more room to get situated. very sturdy bench
Looks good! I have one almost identical to it.
bench looks great i had one like that years ago they work fine. but if you get serious about benchrest competition you need a cement bench .yours still looks nice and i hope you enjoy this bench
Looks great and hell for stout. I think I'd need an ass extension to use it.
It looks just like one I built several years ago except I put railroad ties in the ground for the uprights. Everyone that used it said that it was great.

For a mobile bench all you need is a black & decker workmate. Put a 2x6 in the jaws and add bags and a 5 gallon bucket to sit on and shoot.
Originally Posted by ipopum
It looks just like one I built several years ago except I put railroad ties in the ground for the uprights. Everyone that used it said that it was great.

For a mobile bench all you need is a black & decker workmate. Put a 2x6 in the jaws and add bags and a 5 gallon bucket to sit on and shoot.

Pretty much what I use in the local desert. Works fine.[workmate]
Damn nice bench you have there devnull.
I am so jealous of everyone of you m'f'ers that have the land and opportunity to shoot whenever you want, plus seems like 90% of the people that post pictures here have a mountain in the background of where they live.

That's a heavy duty bench. good stuff
Yep, nice bench but better scenery, good work dev!
Originally Posted by devnull
Yes, it's pressure treated pine. I may paint or stain it at some point. The wood is still really wet. Also, I did sand down all edges after the photos. As far as location, it might stay there for the time being; As you all know, rednecks should be able to shoot and piss off the front porch.

Very nice. Looks really sturdy. Wish I could shoot off my back patio with one.

I wouldn't want to be moving it much, though.
It would appear you might have some Norwegian in you ?
Some relatives named Ole’

Nice work!
© 24hourcampfire