Home
Posted By: xxclaro Define hoarding - 03/24/20
I hear lots of crying and moaning about hoarding and hoarders, but haven't heard a good definition of it....basically it seems to be "anyone who had more than me". How much is too much of anything,and who gets to decide?
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
If you know Jesus, you know the definition
Posted By: Slavek Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
I would say having more item on hand than one could possibly use up in reasonable length of time. Most would say two months is reasonable, I would extend that to maybe six months. One man in California left several tons of ammunition after his death. Since his family was not into firearms to them it meant several tons of hazardous waste to cope with. I would not want something like that to happen to my family.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Well I’ve got sons that love to shoot ! 🤷🏻‍♂️ So no worries what happens to ammo when I’m gone.

Long before any of this crap went down, I’ve lived with the idea I want six months of supplies on hand to feed and protect my family should the thin veneer of civilization break down.

Anything that causes grocery store shelves to go empty for 3 weeks and you’ll see civilized behavior break down. I.e. looting, stealing etc.

I just always believed that’s a proper way to prepare for your family’s needs 🤷🏻‍♂️ Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

If you differ from that, that’s fine as long as you don’t try and put your belief system as the rule for me and mine.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
It’s only hoarding when no one else can buy things.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Hoarding is a compulsive sickness. Prepping is another thing. Overly doing so is generally out of fear.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Buck270 will break it down for us
Posted By: ribka Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
I picked up extra stuff last week in the store. I always try and have at least a month food/water supplies ( I probably have at least 3 months) and TP didn't concern me because not really essential. I didn't need the extra food but planned to give it to people that couldn't get to store ( mostly older folks) . Hope to finish donating it this week.
Posted By: bowfisher Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
In times of crisis, " Hoaders " is the name that stupid, ill prepared, belong to the church of here-and now, white-trash, sweat pant wearing, old Milwaukee swilling , front gut hanging, flotsam of humanity, calls folks that actually forsook today's pleasures a tad and made some room and thought toward future possibilities and considerations.

Before the time of crisis hits, the bovined brained rocket surgeons call these same folks " Tin-foil Hat " wearers....but once crisis comes they change it to Hoarder.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
If you can afford to buy it, then have at it. True capitalism at it's finest. Some here will disagree. One guy here seems to hate me because I have 5 to 6 months of sheit in stock at my home.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by bowfisher
In times of crisis, " Hoaders " is the name that stupid, ill prepared, belong to the church of here-and now, white-trash, sweat pant wearing, old Milwaukee swilling , front gut hanging, flotsam of humanity, calls folks that actually forsook today's pleasures a tad and made some room and thought toward future possibilities and considerations.

Before the time of crisis hits, the bovined brained rocket surgeons call these same folks " Tin-foil Hat " wearers....but once crisis comes they change it to Hoarder.

This.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Buck270 will break it down for us

He'll find you an online therapist too.

How white of him...
lol

Which old Turdlike is he?
Posted By: Redneck Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by xxclaro
. How much is too much of anything,and who gets to decide?
I could show you a pic of my wife's closet and you'd get a really good idea... laugh
Posted By: victoro Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
I hear lots of crying and moaning about hoarding and hoarders, but haven't heard a good definition of it....basically it seems to be "anyone who had more than me". How much is too much of anything,and who gets to decide?

Look it up in a dictionary. The people who are emptying the shelves in the the stores by buying way more than they need aren't hoarders. They are selfish greedy people (mostly Democrats) who don't care about other people's needs. They becomes hoarders when they hide all the extra stuff they bought. From what I've seen so far (even on here) the people that bought way more stuff than they needed are proud of it.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Big difference between a hoarder and a prepper
Posted By: hanco Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
You got to be prepared!!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by irfubar
Big difference between a hoarder and a prepper

That doesn't seem possible when there is no such thing as a hoarder.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
When someone else buys the stuff I need.
My mother in law is a hoarder, but it’s nothing that anyone else would want.

I bet find a mummified cat in her living room one day.
Posted By: agazain Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Hoarding means "I will not share with you!!"
Posted By: kingston Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20

If it’s literally mummified, I’d be interested, even if you don’t have the original sarcophagus.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by victoro

Look it up in a dictionary. The people who are emptying the shelves in the the stores by buying way more need aren't hoarders. They are selfish greedy people (mostly Democrats) who don't care about other people's needs. They're only becomes hoarders if they hide all the extra stuff they bought. From what I've seen so far (even on here) the people that bought way more they needed are proud of it.

How much do you need? Who decides? The media likes to make it seem like this could go on for months yet. If that is true, you'll need a lot more of everything than if its over in a few weeks.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
A now gone friend I used to work with told me the story of his aunt when WWII broke out. It seems that, almost immediately, she bought a bunch of flour, sugar, can't remember what all, and had it stored in her cellar. When he asked why she was doing that, she told him she needed to stock up, "..before the hoarders get it all."
Posted By: TF49 Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20

Seems that “society” decides. Nobody is concerned about hoarding when supplies are readily available. But, like the story of the ant and the grasshopper..... when the supplies run short it is the grasshoppers of the world that scurry about excoriating those terrible hoarders..... as usual, they want something for nothing.....in the main, they are irresponsible freeloaders.

Having said that, I am blessed with an abundant supply of tp, from which I have already given a load to a family of needy grasshoppers. Oddly, in this family, both parents work but simply did not realize what was happening around them until the shelves were bare.

Got caught with their pants down before they got a clue.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Hoarding is when a 70+ year old couple living in a 4500 square foot house can only use one and 1/2 of the 3 .5 bathrooms and only access the closet on the main floor of their house, when their kids finally got the dad to clean out the house when the mom died it took 6+ dumpsters and 2 weeks of work , that is not even including stuff that was put in consignment houses and sold on Ebay. . One room had brand new pocketbooks and shoes still in the original boxes box stacked floor to ceiling. Both were retired Scientists. Go figure
Originally Posted by kingston

If it’s literally mummified, I’d be interested, even if you don’t have the original sarcophagus.

I prob should have said jerkyfied
Posted By: KFWA Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
the idea is to buy this stuff when its not crisis, so you don't have to be in the middle of that craziness fighting for a roll of toilet paper.

that isn't hoarding, that is planning
Posted By: TF49 Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Hoarding is when a 70+ year old couple living in a 4500 square foot house can only use one and 1/2 of the 3 .5 bathrooms and only access the closet on the main floor of their house, when their kids finally got the dad to clean out the house when the mom died it took 6+ dumpsters and 2 weeks of work , that is not even including stuff that was put in consignment houses and sold on Ebay. . One room had brand new pocketbooks and shoes still in the original boxes box stacked floor to ceiling. Both were retired Scientists. Go figure

Hmm....change out a couple of key words and what you describe could be me. I have a property with a eight car garage and it is largely filled with “stuff.” My wife asked me once if I was ever going to clean out the garage or be irresponsible and leave that chore to the kids.

I told her that the kids could take care of it. I have more fishing to do and they have the entire lives ahead of them to take care of the garage.
Posted By: krp Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
I learned my lesson in 2008 when the construction industry collapsed and things got tighter than I've ever experienced. I buy in bulk when things were cheap, especially around thanksgiving when canned and boxed food is deeply discounted, turkeys and hams cheap, christmas when beef is cheap. Always watching sales to add or replenish.

We are well set with staples and meat in the freezer, beans, rice and flour.

The perishables are all we need now... eggs, potatoes, bread, chips, tortillas, fruit, lettuce. Though I can make rolls and biscuits and my wife can make great flour tortillas in a pinch.

My larder is full because it was already.

Kent
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by cra1948
A now gone friend I used to work with told me the story of his aunt when WWII broke out. It seems that, almost immediately, she bought a bunch of flour, sugar, can't remember what all, and had it stored in her cellar. When he asked why she was doing that, she told him she needed to stock up, "..before the hoarders get it all."

Excellent post.
Posted By: kingston Re: Define hoarding - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by kingston

I prob should have said jerkyfied

Tease.
© 24hourcampfire