Home
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Gin? - 03/24/20
I’ve seen threads on Vodka, Bourbon, and beer, haven’t seen a Gin thread.
So who likes gin besides me?
I personally like mine with Mountain Dew!
Segrams, Bombay Sapphire, tanqueray, beefeater are a few that I like,
Last night it was aristocrat and dew, felt like chit today but I’m making a comeback this evening!
Ronnie
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
Can't do PINE NEEDLES.....
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
I love it. I drink Seagrams, the cheapo gin tastes great to me. I love 3 ounces of gin on the rocks, big twist of lime, and 2 ounces tonic water. mmmmmmgoood!
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
My usual weekend drink is vodka and tonic these days, but when summer comes I like to have a bottle of Tanqueray around for those scorching afternoons after I finish cutting grass. I use one drop of high quality lime essential oil for drink...that's 100% as good as fresh limes.
Posted By: ME109 Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
The Botanist on ice or Plymouth for G&T 's. Been thru alot already dealing with having to stay home.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
loves my gin and tonics in the summer. i usually knock out half a quart at a sitting. other than feeling dazed, i don't get a hangover from it. 2 tonic to 1 gin ratio with a couple chunks of lime and ice. mmm mmm good. if i drank 1/3 that much brown liquor, i'd be miserable the next day.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
Beefeater IS gin.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is known by the blacks in Georgia as "Knotty Head" because of all the bumps on the bottle.
I was a paramedic down there and I had to work on quite a few inebriated Negros. Countless, really.

We would walk in the apartment, a guy is laying on the floor, we asked the lady what the problem was.
"Oh, he be into the Knotty Head tonight." Translation, "The gentleman is drunk on Seagrams gin."
I got fluent in Ebonics in that job.

Normally I don't like cheap booze but I love the Seagrams.
Posted By: 99in22_250 Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
Summertime Gin and Tonic can't be beat. Me, I like Gordon's, wifey prefers Hendricks, but she's a helluva lot classier than me...

Posted By: smithrjd Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
Never acquired a taste for Gin, reminds me of sucking on a Pine bough.
Posted By: Teal Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
Hendricks or Bombay for me
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
Beefeaters first and Boodles second.

Gin and tonic and lime.

Lynn
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
I should try gin and tonic, my first real gin try was during Katrina, I had Bombay sapphire gin and Mountain Dew, it was nice!
Beefeater tonight with Mountain Dew.
Ronnie
Posted By: boliep Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
Can't do PINE NEEDLES.....

Give Tanquery a try. Top of the line gin with absolutely no pine needle taste or smell.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Gin? - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
I’ve seen threads on Vodka, Bourbon, and beer, haven’t seen a Gin thread.
So who likes gin besides me?
I personally like mine with Mountain Dew!
Segrams, Bombay Sapphire, tanqueray, beefeater are a few that I like,
Last night it was aristocrat and dew, felt like chit today but I’m making a comeback this evening!
Ronnie

Gin and Mountain Dew? Sweet Mother of Pearl....
Posted By: Robster Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
I'm a huge gin and tonic fan!!!
Although I really like the high end gin, my go to is New Amsterdam. It's a solid gin at a good price point.

A couple glugs in a glass, top with tonic.......done!!!
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
!6oz beer stein filled w/ ice, add 2 shots of Tanqueray and tonic. Great recovery drink after a hard workout.
Fever Tree Quinine is great but stupid expensive.

mike r
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
If limited to one distilled spirit I'd pick gin 10 out of 10 times.

Best I've ever had was Tanqueray 10. A good friend who got banned from the Campfire for undisclosed reasons brought a bottle up to my place for 4th of July one year. Damn that was good stuff.
Second fave is Whyte Lady by a distillery in Missoula, MT. It's got a mint finish that is amazing. Even neat it's good. Mint you say? Sounds bad. I know I know. But try it. It's amazing.
Botanist is good. Really good.
Bombay Sapphire is par. Can't go wrong with it, it's my default.
Had a couple gallons of Hendricks last year. That was pretty good too.
I've tried a bunch over the years, and last couple years tried some small distillery attempts. Most of them sucked ass and weren't worth the price, or even close. They get too exotic and fruity with the herbs.
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Yeah, well I ain’t known for being one who follows the rest...........
Ronnie
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by ME109
The Botanist on ice or Plymouth for G&T 's. Been thru alot already dealing with having to stay home.

Botanist! Probably the best gin out there. Bare Hill (might have that spelled wrong), is pretty good as well.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Best I've ever had was Tanqueray 10. .

T10 is damn good. Not as good as the Botanist, but it will definitely do. There are truly horrible but high-end gins out there that might well be Chanel #5 rebottled as a drink. They could gag a maggot.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Had my first G&T w/lime last summer. Tanqueray based. I liked it, a lot. Will try more when it warms up.

Host said he would liked to have served Bombay Sapphire but couldn't find it last minute. Better?
Posted By: Hubert Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
I like gin. but spiced Rum is my favorite drink.
Posted By: EdM Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Sipping a martini as I type. First try with Dover Strait and I am enjoying it.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
I buy Tanqueray most often but like Hendricks better. Not a big fan of Bombay.

Gin and tonics are good but usually I make martinis or vespers or gibsons or corpse revivers.

Summers this one by Hemingway is very good:

Green Issac’s Special
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Fanofthefortyone;
Good evening to you sir and to the rest of the gin aficionados here.

With the confession that I'm not a gin fan by any stretch, but my son in law and his mother both appreciate fine gin.

They really like this stuff made 5 minutes south of here.

https://thedubhglasdistillery.com/

If any of you are heading up Highway 97 it's just on the left as you're heading through the tiny town of Gallagher Lake.

Anyway, all the best to you all. Stay well.

Dwayne
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Only time I drank gin regular was on our 4x per year cross border trip to Lomé Togo just across from Ghana. The purpose being to be paid in hard currency (CFA) rather than not-worth-the-paper-they-were-printed-on Ghanaian cedis.

There was a dive on the waterfront not far from the border, gin was the drink of choice, straight from the bottle. Holy crap did we get blitzed.
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

Best I've ever had was Tanqueray 10. .

T10 is damn good. Not as good as the Botanist, but it will definitely do. There are truly horrible but high-end gins out there that might well be Chanel #5 rebottled as a drink. They could gag a maggot.

Very true. I've been disappointed so many times. Looking to try something different, look at the price tag and figure it must be good to justify it. Fugg no. But that being said, cheap gin is worse than cheap vodka. I'd rather have the vodka.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
If you're gonna drink gin, start of by having a few Colt 45's, smoke a blunt, and get the chitlins ready to cook.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Hendrick's gimlet. Summer in a glass.

Death's Door Gin has game too.
Originally Posted by mirage243
If you're gonna drink gin, start of by having a few Colt 45's, smoke a blunt, and get the chitlins ready to cook.

Might want to educate yourself a bit on the history of the spirit before throwing aspersions.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Gin? - 03/25/20

Might want to educate yourself a bit on the history of the spirit before throwing aspersions.

I ain't got time for all that, I'm just telling you my experiences of those I know that drink it.
Posted By: JGray Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
I'm a gin and tonic guy (just finished one a few minutes ago). My sister tried to convince me Bombay Sapphire was better than Tanqueray, but I couldn't agree. According to her, I must like the taste of juniper/pine needles/paint thinner/turpentine, etc. grin Tanqueray is my go-to, but Hendricks is definitely a step up. FWIW, I did discover that when you run out of tonic, Fresca works well for a substitute.

I ain't got time for all that, I'm just telling you my experiences of those I know that drink it.

So you've nothing to add to an otherwise civil conversation. Got it.

ought to be one thread we can all play nice on. smile
Originally Posted by JGray
I'm a gin and tonic guy (just finished one a few minutes ago). My sister tried to convince me Bombay Sapphire was better than Tanqueray, but I couldn't agree. According to her, I must like the taste of juniper/pine needles/paint thinner/turpentine, etc. grin Tanqueray is my go-to, but Hendricks is definitely a step up. FWIW, I did discover that when you run out of tonic, Fresca works well for a substitute.

Tonic is my preferred mixer. Club if necessary. Have done gatorade in a pinch, but if I don't have any Tonic water I'd rather just have it on the rocks. That's how I can personally tell if I like the gin or not. If I think it's good on it's own with a few ice cubes then tonic isn't going to cover anything up. I'll confess to a squirt of lemon juice to substitute a lime wedge sometimes.
Posted By: savatage Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Tanqueray martini extra dry, 2 anchovy stuffed olives . 2) of them on the rocks , and i`m good . Been 24 years since I had any alcohol to drink, but can still taste that one though wink
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Beefeater IS gin.

I was weaned on beefeater soaked olives....
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I love it. I drink Seagrams, the cheapo gin tastes great to me. I love 3 ounces of gin on the rocks, big twist of lime, and 2 ounces tonic water. mmmmmmgoood!

I'm with you. Seagram's is definitely one of the best of the lower priced gins. I've tried many others and I keep coming back to Seagrams.
I also really like their vodka. I'd trade a Tito's for a Seagram's any day.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Bombay Sapphire. A gin and tonic can hit the spot when it’s hot outside. The problem with it is.....it goes down so easily, it makes a second almost a given😀
A favorite gin photo from last summer at our place in north Idaho.

Mighty small glass smile

Honestly I've never had a martini. One day.

I've had more than a few gallons of cheap gin over the years. And yup, with a lime and some tonic they'll all work. But I've found gin in like vodka in that there really is a difference.

Bourbon? I can't really tell the difference much. I've tried, but I just can't find anything better enough than Wild Turkey to be worth the coin. If you're mixing it I can't tell a bit of difference. I like the 101 because it's more bang for the buck. I just picked up a big bottle of Evan Williams bottled in bond 100 proof today based on a previous thread on here. Was way cheaper. I'm willing to try!

I listened to the scotch drinkers for years, and thought they were full of schidt. All I'd ever had was Dewar's and some other awful stuff. Had some the Macallen (18 I think?) couple years ago. Totally changed my mind. Though unless I win the lotto I don't see much of that in my future.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
I really like gin.

Gin and tonic or a gin martini with a drop or two of bitters and a twist.
Posted By: savatage Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Beefeater IS gin.

I was weaned on beefeater soaked olives....

I did a similar thing. After pouring out the juice from the anchovy stuffed olives ,I would fill jar back up with extra dry vermouth.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Gin is my favorite booze.

I’ve pretty much narrowed my gin down to two brands. Hendricks is my favorite, more spendy gin. For casual drinking it’s beefeater. I prefer beefeater over a lot of more expensive gin.

Gin, ice
Gin, ice, and Canada Dry or Fever Tree tonic
Gin, ice, cocktail onion
Gin, ice, ginger ale and lime
Gin, ice, ginger ale, lime and a little cran/raspberry juice
Gin, ice, OJ.

A friend of a friend and his wife are big gin fanatics- when they were in London they went to a place that had a bunch of gin and were trying to determine which gin the liked the most. After trying em all they settled on Junipero Gin..... only to find out it’s made here in the SF Bay Area, 20 miles from where they live.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Gin? - 03/25/20

This is known by the blacks in Georgia as "Knotty Head" because of all the bumps on the bottle.
I was a paramedic down there and I had to work on quite a few inebriated Negros. Countless, really.

We would walk in the apartment, a guy is laying on the floor, we asked the lady what the problem was.
"Oh, he be into the Knotty Head tonight." Translation, "The gentleman is drunk on Seagrams gin."

Lol. Knotty head or Nappy head. Both were common.

I worked the counter at a liquor store in Clarke Co GA way back when. Primitive wogs with government cheese were the bread and butter at that store. There was a cheaper label we sold the hell out of in pints. Can’t recall it now though. Maybe Mcgregor or McCormick?

Co-worker damn near shot me one night in the middle of a “crash and grab”. I quit soon after.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
I love gin (any brand...I'm not fussy) but freely admit that it's an acquired taste. My old secretary disdained gin, complaining that "it tastes like hairspray." :0)
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Gin? - 03/25/20

That story cracked me up!!!! Thanks!!
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Yes the Knotty Head is the favorite booze of the housing project Negros in central Georgia.
There was a liquor store named "Dodo's" right next to the biggest housing project. I was in there one day, I knew the owner and was having a chat with him.
And was watching the housing project citizens come in and buy booze.

Right next to the cash register was the "Discount Bin." This was a 50 gallon container, made of heavy wire, and it was filled with factory seconds, or stuff that didn't sell, or whatever. This booze was all half price. I was a paramedic. I was looking at this bin full of cheap booze and I thought, "Half the ambulance calls I run start out right here at the Discount Bin at Dodo's Liquor Store."
I had found a pint of Seagrams Gin and picked it up was just looking at it as I spoke with my buddy. This was in 1986.

Just then a 50 year old black guy walked in, he was about half-drunk, it was about 3 pm. He wandered around for a minute, then, he saw me at the discount bin holding a bottle of Seagram's Gin.

And he said, "Is that what you be buying?
I held up the bottle and said "Yes I love the Seagram's Gin!"

He said, "Oh, Lawd, White Boys buying from de Discount Bin. If Reagan keep it up fo' a few mo' years, we all be buying Knotty Head from the discount bin."
Posted By: JGray Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
I sometimes use gin instead of vodka in a Moscow Mule and like it better. I understand adding mint leaves is supposed to work well in the gin variation though haven't tried it.
Mighty small glass smile

Honestly I've never had a martini. One day.

Given that is 99% gin it is not so small... Trust me.
Posted By: m1919 Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Beefeater....THE gin

Costco version is right up there.

Hendrix

...lots of Ice...three onions ....and a toothpick

Unless it's in a frozen Martini glass....

Had one just this evening.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Bombay Sapphire.
Posted By: ribka Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Like Tanquray
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I really like gin.

Gin and tonic or a gin martini with a drop or two of bitters and a twist.

yep

The Costco gin has really different botanicals but its actually pretty good
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Fanofthefortyone;
Good evening to you sir and to the rest of the gin aficionados here.

With the confession that I'm not a gin fan by any stretch, but my son in law and his mother both appreciate fine gin.

They really like this stuff made 5 minutes south of here.

https://thedubhglasdistillery.com/

If any of you are heading up Highway 97 it's just on the left as you're heading through the tiny town of Gallagher Lake.

Anyway, all the best to you all. Stay well.

Dwayne

Dwayne. often up on Okanagon fly fishing, hunting off of hwy 97 . Will check this out. Sounds good

The Costco brand has really different and interesting botanicals . Grown to appreciate it. Zero juniper taste based on my palate.

The olives with anchovies for martini sounds interesting. Love complex unusual flavors
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
We like Bombay Blue Sapphire EAST for my G&Ts and the wife's Gibsons..
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
There are two general types of gin. The original kind was called Genever and was developed in the Netherlands. Dutch or Holland style has juniper plus a lot of botanicals and spices. London style is simpler, with mostly just juniper.

I much prefer the less aromatic London style, Gordon's is my usual buy because it's cheaper, but Beefeater is the standard here. Tanqueray also belongs but is a wee bit more botanical. I've tried numerous other kinds, including many of the widely-sold versions mentioned already, and also Aviator. It isn't until you sip one that you discover if it's a true London or a perfume and turpentine Dutch.

I drink it straight on ice, with classic bitters, with orange or lemon bitters, with onions (very dirty!), with tonic, with cranberry juice, and as THE classic martini.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Monkey 47 is the best I've had. If you like gin, you will love this. If you don't like gin, this will change your mind. The only gin I have ever found that one could drink straight, not that I am advocating that.

https://www.ginfoundry.com/gin/monkey-47-gin/
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
Yeah, well I ain’t known for being one who follows the rest...........
Ronnie

Your drum, brother. Bang hell out of it.
Posted By: skinnyjimmy Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
I love my gin & tonics. Tanqueray and tonic, no lime, short glass, lots of ice. Beefeater is my second choice. If you ever come across a bottle of Martin Miller's gin and want to try something different, give it a try. Nice clean taste.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
I like gin & tonics with a wedge of lime in the summer. I've had them made with Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, Gordon's, Plymouth and Beefeater's and, for me, Beefeater's and Plymouth stood out. All the other's are fine though. If I drank Martinis maybe my preference would change, but I like a gin that can stand up to the tonic and still deliver lots of flavor.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Give me Beefeater.

Gin - it's more than Everclear cut with distilled water!
laugh
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
We like gin here. Plymouth, Bombay or Tanqueray...G+T, Negronis, Martinis...
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
I always eat first when I have a G&T and use the drink to wash a 50 mg Zinc supplement down . Say hey got no covid 19 yet.quine in the tonic water and the zinc.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Sunday evening ritual in the hot summer is a couple gin and tonics with a fine Cuban cigar. Usually Bombay Sapphire.

Would like to try Plymouth gin instead of London, but haven’t run across it here.

Who else keeps their gin (and their vodka) in the freezer?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
BTW, if you don't drink, or you're the driver tonight, or just for a refreshing summer drink without booze, try a South Hampton. Two or three dashes bitters, and tonic water over ice. Zero cloying sweetness, crisp and delicious.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Love a good G&T in summer.

Deb loves them all the time.

I prefer mine with cucumber.

Sorry MathMan !
Actually, there are a good number of boutique distilleries now making great gin !!

This one is really nice, served over ice;

[Linked Image from lcbo.com]

*The unique colour of this spirit comes from the mix of Arctic sourced botanicals that include cloudberry, labrador tea, rose hip and more. Medium lemon yellow in colour; aromas of juniper, herbal tea, spice and tart fruit; dry and medium-bodied followed by a warm and spicy finish.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Yes, craft or boutique distillers can do some interesting things with gin (vodka + botanicals) and vodka (which can and should be much more than everclear and water). What the craft distillers like most is they can get a quick cash flow going with spirits that don't need long aging.

New craft/boutique whiskey producers have a choice to make: either source out their whiskey (mostly from MGP in Indiana) while waiting for the whiskey they've distilled to age, or, put their whiskey in smaller (but still expensive) casks rush young whiskey out the door. Very few new whiskey distillers have the capital to keep afloat while waiting for their spirits to age the 4-8 years it typically takes to produce a decent whiskey.
We go through quite a bit of gin around here...very rare that we don't have a before dinner cocktail. My wife wants nothing but either gin and tonic or a Negroni. I usually have a manhattan, old fashioned, martini, gin and tonic or some kind of whisky on the rocks. Our go to gin is Tanqueray or Bombay Safire. I keep Plymouth for martinis. When we were stocking up recently, I saw something I'd never seen before, Plymouth Gin Navy Strength. IIRC, it was about 99 proof. When we lived up on the border, we'd get Tanqueray "Export Strength" 95 proof, again, IIRC. I think some gins are to be avoided, the well brands at most bars and the cheaper ones...always taste, to me, like paint thinner or something...a real slimy chemical sort of mouth that just cries, "Wallbanger in the morning."
Posted By: rufous Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
I too like Gin. I am the winemaker for 3 brands all owned by the same family here in SW Michignan (Tabor Hill, Round Barn, and Free Run). Round Barn also makes beer and various spirits but I just make the wine. The Gin at Round Barn is quite good I think.

I like Gin and Tonic and I usually add several drops of Nellie and Joe's Famous Key West Lime juice. I have had and liked Tanqueray and Hendricks but I am cheap and usually just buy whatever is cheap at the grocery store.

If you like Gin and live in SW Michigan come give the Round Barn product a try and let me know what you think.

I think our Vodka is also really tasty.

https://roundbarn.com/libations/spirits/
Good tonic is important too, for a good gin and tonic. We buy ours mostly online now so we can get tonic made without high fructose corn syrup. My method: squeeze a quarter of a lime over ice, run it around the rim and drop it in the glass. Add gin, 1 1/2 or 2 ounces, fill with tonic.

I saw, early on in this thread, someone posting about gin and Mountain Dew...you know, I'm a big "to each his own" sort of guy, but gin and Mountain Dew??? Very few things leave me speechless, but I don't know how to respond to that.
Agree on the good mixers !

Posted By: robertham1 Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

To me the tonic is as important as the gin.
Fever tree does it right with their tonic.

Also there is something special about tonic from a “gun” at a bar that can’t be replicated from a can/bottle.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Gin? - 03/25/20

Fever tree is the best
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Gin? - 03/25/20
I ginned a lot of cotton back in the day...
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
Originally Posted by huntinaz

Fever tree is the best

If you like high fructose corn syrup it is. If you want to ramp up your game:

https://www.amazon.com/Drinks-Tonic...th+quinine&qid=1585181823&sr=8-4
Posted By: Raferman Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
Busch ice baby.
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
Yeah, well my first time with gin and Dew was after Katrina, had a bottle of gin and some Dew and still like it.
Eventually I’ll try some of the drinks listed here, but for now I’ll do the Dew!
Ronnie

Originally Posted by cra1948
Good tonic is important too, for a good gin and tonic. We buy ours mostly online now so we can get tonic made without high fructose corn syrup. My method: squeeze a quarter of a lime over ice, run it around the rim and drop it in the glass. Add gin, 1 1/2 or 2 ounces, fill with tonic.

I saw, early on in this thread, someone posting about gin and Mountain Dew...you know, I'm a big "to each his own" sort of guy, but gin and Mountain Dew??? Very few things leave me speechless, but I don't know how to respond to that.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
When I become King of America, it will be illegal to mix gin with Mountain Dew. Six months on the chain gang.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by huntinaz

Fever tree is the best

If you like high fructose corn syrup it is. If you want to ramp up your game:

https://www.amazon.com/Drinks-Tonic...th+quinine&qid=1585181823&sr=8-4

Fever Tree uses cane sugar. Hard to imagine a tonic that would leave FT in the dust but I am curious
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Re: Gin? - 03/26/20

Hopefully you and Hillary will never get to be king and queen!
When I become King of America, it will be illegal to mix gin with Mountain Dew. Six months on the chain gang.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
For those who don't like to piss your money away on Tanguerey, try New Amsterdam gin - I think you'll be surprised.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
Hendricks. Maybe a little dry vermouth and an olive.
Posted By: Robster Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
For those who don't like to piss your money away on Tanguerey, try New Amsterdam gin - I think you'll be surprised.

My go to gin. A great gin at a great price point.

That's all I buy
Posted By: hanco Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
I don’t like it. Whiskey is good
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
Went to a wedding one time where, for some reason, I was afraid the free beer wouldn't be enough. So I brought along a bottle of Beefeater. Ended up doing shots of it with my brother using the cap as a shot glass. We were so trashed we went to a downtown bar after the wedding and got in a fist fight with each other. My oldest brother (who wasn't drinking as much) had to drag us out of the bar before we got arrested.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Went to a wedding one time where, for some reason, I was afraid the free beer wouldn't be enough. So I brought along a bottle of Beefeater. Ended up doing shots of it with my brother using the cap as a shot glass. We were so trashed we went to a downtown bar after the wedding and got in a fist fight with each other. My oldest brother (who wasn't drinking as much) had to drag us out of the bar before we got arrested.

Years ago, my brother and a friend and I limited out on trout pretty early in the morning and stopped about halfway home (still 50 miles out) at a beer joint for burgers and beer. We started shooting pool and drinking sand blasters, I drink I’d invented that spring consisting of a shot of gin in a glass of draught beer. Pretty soon everyone in the place was drinking them. It got pretty sporty. A guy recognized me from Olongapo a few years earlier. When we let my brother out at his house he couldn’t stand up. His wife came running out and asked what was wrong with him. They hadn’t been married long and there were still things she didn’t understand. He mumbled that he had an awful headache. She gave him the poor baby treatment...
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
I like the occasional gin and tonic, but they give me heartburn so I can't drink a bunch of them. I like a gin martini as well, but the same rules apply, lol.
Posted By: Marshgrass Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
Originally Posted by 1911a1

That story cracked me up!!!! Thanks!!

Here in the SC Lowcountry, we indigenous types call Segrams "Bump Gin".

Rather than Tonic, I have drinking it with Bitter Lemon. Fever Tree used to be my brand, but I cant find it local any more. Switched over to Polar. Almost as good and a lot less expensive.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Gin? - 03/26/20
Last year our local liquor store had a “garage sale” of sorts to raise money for charity.

The Fever Tree salesman donated a case of 4-packs of Fever Tree. It normally sells for $8 a 4-pack here. I bought the whole case at $2 a 4-pack.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Gin? - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
I like the occasional gin and tonic, but they give me heartburn so I can't drink a bunch of them. I like a gin martini as well, but the same rules apply, lol.

A “gin martini “? If it ain’t gin and dry vermouth, it ain’t a martini. Anything else is just a “martini-like drink.”
© 24hourcampfire