Home
10 bench, 100 yard range separated by a burm from the 200 yard range. I go down to pull my 200 yard target and I hear a bullet impact the dirt about 20 feet above my target. I realize these [bleep] on the 100 yard range are shooting with handguns at targets they set up at 20 yards. Their bullets are ricocheting over the divider burm into and above my 200 yard range. Had to walk back and over to their range and tell them to hold fire till I got back from getting my target. They looked dumbfounded when I told em, “your supposed to shoot into the embankment at 100 yards! And one of ya’lls ricochet nearly hit me”.
There are 25 and 50 yard ranges as well for shorter range targets, and the All ranges have signs that clearly say “shoot only into the embankment at the end of the range”.
Always a good time. Glad you weren’t hurt
Public range is a no go for me...You literally take your life in your hands. I am blessed to be a member of a private range 6 minutes from my house. Be safe !
Quit going years ago. Dumbazz mexican gangbangers all pist off because they couldnt rapid fire. They finally were escourted out but the next group looked just like them so i left. Done.
Public ranges, never a dull moment. Although I go weekdays in the summer and it's pretty calm.
Never been to one, never will. Blessed to have my own place to shoot on the farm. 600 yards is all I have, but that's good enough for me.
The words "dumb asses" and "public range" are kind of like "ham and cheese."
Weekdays.
Cheatham wma range
Lots of times only one their.

Weekends...
Homey dont play dat.

my buddy billy starry owns one here in corpus, he don't tolerate that chit.
Happened here too - I've also had one hit the bank at 200yds right in front of me. Mind you no one had any idea that the pistol bullets would travel over the barrier and across to the right - there's some weird trajectory happening but it's the ones that are tumbling that do it.
I shoot at deer lease for this very reason
I can't handle the buffoons at the range, some guys are dumb.
What's a "public" range? Owned by the government?
As far as I’ve been made aware of, the public range where I’m a member has only ever kicked out one guy. He was a local county cop, who apparently didn’t think that safe gun handling and not being a nuisance didn’t apply to him.

Everybody’s pretty laid back and I’ve never had a problem. At least not yet. Obviously, they don’t put up with much crap.

Biggest public range issue I ever had (at a different range) was and old lady trying to use both thumbs to pull the hammer back on one of the range’s .38’s. Instead of keeping it pointed down range, she turned for some reason and was pointing it at me. Her husband saw her and spun her back around downrange.
Guy at a public range here went to change his target without waiting for a ceasefire. He thought that if he stayed in his lane when walking downrange he would be safe.
I lost my private place to shoot when my BIL sold his property, I go to the state owned range in the middle of the week always try to be there at opening time. I also wear my blaze orange shirt and cap so I am visible when downrange, there are several large red revolving lights that signal when the range officer has called a cease fire. Those not going downrange must stand behind a line away from the benches and their firearms. Occasionally you get a shooter whose gun handling is not safe, the range officer is always on the lookout and when a shooter reports this kind of thing he is quick to act. If the shooter is not co-operative he is asked to leave for the day, a second offense they're permanently banned from using the range.
Originally Posted by EQFD193
Public range is a no go for me...You literally take your life in your hands. I am blessed to be a member of a private range 6 minutes from my house. Be safe !

Wow. That really is nice. I have to drive nearly a half hour to my private range.
Ammo Wasters have ruined every range around here boom boom boom - -- -- -- --- ----- boom boom could care less if they hit a target . To them it's all about firing a gun LOTS OF TIMES ..
Doesn't just occur at public ranges I belong to a private gun range 2 miles from my home and have seen some inane things happen. I was putting up a target at 100 yds when a car full of dickheads pulled up with their new toys,AK47, ARs, auto pistols. They took over two benches and just started emptying mags into anything and everything. One idiot began shooting at the posts holding the backstops up bragging, "I shot that [bleep] off with 12 rounds. I had my little .380 in the small of my back and my .22-250 lying in it's case on the bench. I quickly got packed up and loaded the truck, wrote down their car plate number and called the local police. Cop shows up talks to them for 5 minutes and leaves. I could here the rapid fire from my house continue for another 45 minutes.
Originally Posted by Hectortwsp
Doesn't just occur at public ranges I belong to a private gun range 2 miles from my home and have seen some inane things happen. I was putting up a target at 100 yds when a car full of dickheads pulled up with their new toys,AK47, ARs, auto pistols. They took over two benches and just started emptying mags into anything and everything. One idiot began shooting at the posts holding the backstops up bragging, "I shot that [bleep] off with 12 rounds. I had my little .380 in the small of my back and my .22-250 lying in it's case on the bench. I quickly got packed up and loaded the truck, wrote down their car plate number and called the local police. Cop shows up talks to them for 5 minutes and leaves. I could here the rapid fire from my house continue for another 45 minutes.

Auto pistols, cool what type of Automatic Pistols did the bring to shoot?
PA has a few public ranges, owned and run the the Game Commission and sited in some gamelands. Usually 50/100 yards but a couple are longer. The local one to me bulldosed the 25 yard berm for the kind of crap being mention on this thread. Really stupid stuff. The good thing here is there are plenty of local private gun clubs around here for not much money with better amenities and control. Gotta have options.
Try working in a gun shop. I don't know how many times a customer has come in looking for a holster and pulls out his gun, even when you tell him not to. I always say "don't pull it out, just tell me what it is". They reply "it's okay, it's not loaded". You take it from them and clear it and one ejects from the chamber. They say "oops!". You feel like field stripping it and throwing the pieces out on the lawn.
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Try working in a gun shop. I don't know how many times a customer has come in looking for a holster and pulls out his gun, even when you tell him not to. I always say "don't pull it out, just tell me what it is". They reply "it's okay, it's not loaded". You take it from them and clear it and one ejects from the chamber. They say "oops!". You feel like field stripping it and throwing the pieces out on the lawn.

Just take it in the back room for a holster fitting and pull the firing pin or striker. See how long it takes them to come back for a repair.
You'd be surprised at how many people who are taught how to shoot (and are good shots), were never taught gun safety. Also, the many who come in and shoot every week and still can't hit the broad side of a barn. Many are happy to keep their shots on a silhouette at 15yds with an AR! It's all about "mag dumps". You realize that although the concept of the 2nd Amendment is fine, you wish that many people didn't have guns around you.
Don't go on the weekends unless its raining. Rain seems to run off most of the stupid. I have a life membership and can enter and shoot after/before normal hours and they don't open the gates until 12 PM Sunday. Sometimes church is held on the range.
was range master at a public range in socal. load of gangbangers showed up with their cosmoline caked sks's. all converted to ak mags. first chollo got to the line , touched off and the firing pin stuck. thing went full auto of course and he turned to his buddies for help. got 3 below the waist before he ran dry. I was behind a concrete k road divider with my phone calling 911 .before they started bleeding. wished at the time his aim had been better.
They’re pretty good about discouraging the gang banger types around here. The biggest problem I see is well meaning newbies with cheap azzed ammo waving their pistols around trying to clear it when a steel or aluminum case gets stuck in the chamber. The range officers get to them pretty quick but I’ve had to explain to several folks that they need to use brass cased ammo, they need to practice clearing their weapons at home so they can do it without sweeping everybody at the range, and that several of us have a bad habit of shooting folks who point guns at us.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Ammo Wasters have ruined every range around here boom boom boom - -- -- -- --- ----- boom boom could care less if they hit a target . To them it's all about firing a gun LOTS OF TIMES ..

We have way more than our share of that, especially over the last 20 years with the major increase of transplanted Californians up here.. standard disclaimer so not to piss anyone off... not all CA people are that way.. but sadly we get more of our share of those that are that way...

however I do love the ones that spray ammo as fast as they can out of their ARs ( at 25 yds, and then brag about how good a shot they are).. then they leave, and leave their brass laying all over the place... which I am more than happy to pick up and take home and recycle it, into my own personal stash....

With this corona virus thing, and everyone under the sun buying a new hand gun or AR, our range has been busier than schitt...
but its been a bonanza if you pick up range brass left on the ground by others...
Thank the lord I have a membership at a private range. I can't stomach all the retards and their AR-15's that now seem to dominate public ranges.
Takes all kinds I guess.
We have a nice range, huge complex.

The shotgun stands are ok, except the one 90 year old geezer that was there sweeping us with his shotgun.

The rifle range, I’m done with that. Wobbly linear benches, Fudds, Fudd wives, Fudd’s kids running around up and down the the line

Range boss, thinks he’s Sgt Hartman from full metal jacket.

It’s not out of control, I just rather zip back behind my house
Most of the time at my range I can have an entire range to myself (we have multiple)
Often I'll be the only shooter on the property.
You need to find another range. When they call a cease fire at the local public range that means cease fire for EVERYBODY and they have to back away from the firing line 10' behind a painted line. Before anybody is allowed to go downrange the range officer verifies that each weapon is unloaded with the action open. Before anyone can return to the firing line the range officer makes sure there is nobody downrange.
the worst i ever seen was > at a law enforcement range ,i was on the north of a side of a tar road at a public park that had a archery range ,we were in the parking lot next to a hi voltage steel tower and i heard bullets hit the steel tower and zing over my head. so i went over too the private law enforcement gun range that was marked that i was in a illegal area that sign read law enforcement only ,couple of the younger officers wanted to arrest me. i said i wanted to talk to who was in charged at the range they got kinda nasty and it was piss`in me off and they all kept shooting.but then the head range officer showed up and we talked ,he made all officer`s to stop shooting. range officer and myself drove over in his vehicle and i showed him the marks on the tower and explained we could have them shoot some more ,office said no i can see the problem. he apologized and thank me as we drove back. as i left he called in the 2 officers who were kinda nasty to me and i left.this had to be going on for a few years before i reported it,this was not a new gun range either, was located in the middle of many homes, huge county park with even a golf course and many businesses. the problem was taken care of and am surprise it went on so long ?
Originally Posted by UPhiker
You'd be surprised at how many people who are taught how to shoot (and are good shots), were never taught gun safety. Also, the many who come in and shoot every week and still can't hit the broad side of a barn. Many are happy to keep their shots on a silhouette at 15yds with an AR! It's all about "mag dumps". You realize that although the concept of the 2nd Amendment is fine, you wish that many people didn't have guns around you.

I'm a RSO and that's been pretty much my observation as well. Also, this is a retirement destination and we see a number of shooters with high dollar equipment who don't know how to shoot or who don't know how to optimize what their guns and gear are capable of. Mismatched scope and rifle, junk ammo, and especially poor bench rests and technique.

I damned sure agree with your sentiment about the Second!

Paul
Originally Posted by pete53
the worst i ever seen was > at a law enforcement range ,i was on the north of a side of a tar road at a public park that had a archery range ,we were in the parking lot next to a hi voltage steel tower and i heard bullets hit the steel tower and zing over my head. so i went over too the private law enforcement gun range that was marked that i was in a illegal area that sign read law enforcement only ,couple of the younger officers wanted to arrest me. i said i wanted to talk to who was in charged at the range they got kinda nasty and it was piss`in me off and they all kept shooting.but then the head range officer showed up and we talked ,he made all officer`s to stop shooting. range officer and myself drove over in his vehicle and i showed him the marks on the tower and explained we could have them shoot some more ,office said no i can see the problem. he apologized and thank me as we drove back. as i left he called in the 2 officers who were kinda nasty to me and i left.this had to be going on for a few years before i reported it,this was not a new gun range either, was located in the middle of many homes, huge county park with even a golf course and many businesses. the problem was taken care of and am surprise it went on so long ?

Capital letters, punctuation, and a paragraph break inserted occasionally would make your comments a lot simpler to understand. Most people get out of breath reading run-on sentences like the ones above, with no, or incorrect punctuation.

If someone is shooting on my range, that means he's already trespassed at least 500 yards onto private property. If he wants to argue, the Sheriff is just a phone call away!
Jerry
I open my back door and I can shoot although I must first make sure there are no deer or elk in the way.
The ranges I've shot at have red lights that go on and very audible buzzers that sound with a taped recording directing everyone to cease fire, unload the gun. place it on the table, and step out of the booth, when the range goes cold for all shooters.
I’m blessed to not have to use public ranges. 12 min from my driveway I can be sitting at the family farm where I built a 300 yard range. Being in Alabama we can shoot year round.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Our range here in Yuma is open to the public without supervision of any kind, except for when our clubs are having organized shoots, then the ranges are closed to all other activities.

I will not go out there for any reason except for when our club has control of the range, it is just insane . Most people that show up obviously have never had so much as 30 seconds of firearm safety training or instruction on how to behave at a range, nor will they listen to anyone trying to correct them.

My other range in Lander WY is a club range, have to have a key to get in. 350 members and almost never any sort of problem whatsoever.
There are some scary incidents being posted here. I guess I'm lucky. My range has range officers that watch everything like a hawk. nothing that is not 100% safe will be tolerated. security Camera's cover every firing position. You have to sign in and out of your lane/position. Overhead baffles prevent a bullet from striking anything but the berm/embankment. Flashing safety lights are activated indicating when the range is cold and no one is allowed to go down range to check or place/pull targets until everyone is behind a yellow safety line with all wepons placed on the table with actions open. Small bore, handgun, steel plate, 50-100 yd, 50-200 yd ranges facing in different directions etc. No such thing as being to safe.
Here is eastern Nebraska, the biggest and most active range is pretty darn safe. Was there with the g/son yesterday and it was not as active as usual but still a double handful of folks shooting. The range officer was driving from range to range checking on everybody and making sure things were safe.

Side note: why do kids want to shoot the expensive stuff instead of the .22 lr ?
I am fortunate to have a city owned and supervised range very near my home. A couple of weeks ago I was on the pistol range side. A young man to my left was there firing as well as were several others left and right. As I was sitting at my bench taking a few shots, I felt a thud on the right side of my chest. Looking down, I saw a mark on my right shirt pocket and on the ground was a FMJ bullet about .38 caliber. I picked it up and it was still warm. The young fellow to my left was shooting that same ammo and others different calibers/bullet types. I wasn't mad or anything and told him that I thought he had shot me. He got all defensive and tried to say that the bullet was a .45, not a .38, etc., etc. It was obviously not a .45 as I showed him a .44 case that I was shooting. I tried to reassure him that I was not upset and knew it was a freak richochet (sp?). The berm was about 30 yards or so down range. I joked that maybe I need to get my old helmet out of the attic to wear when I went to the range. I didn't see that anything unsafe was done by anyone or caused by any defect in range facilities. It was just one of those freak things. I did not say anything to the range management as I didn't want the city to do any investigating and declare the range a public safety hazard or anything as nothing overtly unsafe had happened. Again, just a freak accident.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
my buddy billy starry owns one here in corpus, he don't tolerate that chit.

Starr's is still open? Remember going out there when I lived in Corpus. Used to have fun at that range.
I was our local range not to long ago and there was a elderly gentleman with his grandson trying to sight in a slug barreled shotgun. I heard them complaining about not being able to hit the 50yd deer target at all. So I turned to see what the heck is going on. I noticed that the slugs were hitting the baffles above the target and walk over and tell them what's going on and that they are destroying that protective barrier! So asked them if I could look at their shotgun and the said yes. Well the scope base was all freaking loose, the scope was way out of focus and for the life of me I don't see how he could even see the freakin target. So I tightened everything up, used my bore sighter, adjusted the scope and asked the gentleman to look through the scope and he was surprised as [bleep] he could see the target. A few shots later he was grouping his shots and at the end he came over to thank me. I said, no problem, but you sure wasted a lot of ammo based on the boxes I saw in the trash can.
Is anyone here a member of one of those “gun clubs” where some have not popped a cap in 20 years and just sit around eating schnitzel and talking about gout? 😃
Originally Posted by slumlord
Is anyone here a member of one of those “gun clubs” where some have not popped a cap in 20 years and just sit around eating schnitzel and talking about gout? 😃

We got some down here mostly winter Texans. They'll interrupt your shooting time and just blabber on and on!

A friend was invited to a gun club as a prospective member. He showed up with a rifle, expecting to do some shooting. When he arrived , everyone was wearing sport coats and drinking cocktails. He got some funny looks when they saw him carrying a gun case. Most members didn’t own a gun.
When in my 20s and first teaching myself to shoot and reload, we lived out in the desert SW corner of AZ and it was quite simple - drive out to a clear area, set up, and shoot. Paradise. Later when living in Tempe. AZ in the 1960s, one could still do that by driving about 30 minutes south and also we were fortunate to have a very good private/public range at the base of South Mountain - staffed every day by an old fellow who was knowledgeable and excellent - never encountered a problem person there. Maybe there were some idiots there as folks got ready for deer and elk seasons but was never there at those times. Paradise continued, to a significant extent

Later, in MD near DC and then in the Puget Sound WA area in the 1980s it was necessary to be a member of some "private" range if one wanted to shoot within an hour of home - and some poor specimens started to show up at those venues. Bad harbinger. Then we had a wonderful and very scenic membership range quite close to town in Prescott AZ in the 80s and 90s and never an issue with jerks at the range - spoiled me forever.

Then, for a few years we lived in Scottsdale and a person had to drive out to Ben Avery or over to Usery Pass - and experienced ongoing problems with crowding and some very poor shooting behavior. Quite a comedown.

So, we moved up the the NM high forest 20 years ago and one of the very first things we did was set up the 25 yard to 400 yard target stands - and even a way to shoot from indoors on rough weather days. Paradise regained - and never an instance of strange or poor range behavior, even though some of our interesting and unique Campfire guys have come to visit us and enjoy the "range". We realize that we are blessed and very fortunate - and I wish for every serious shooter that you can enjoy the same while on this earth.
I do my best to keep to myself at the range as I find most people like to tell you about what they’re shooting more than they like to shoot. A while back there was a dude shooting some custom rifle with reloaded ammo with a nightforce and a suppressor. In CA, you gotta be someone to have a suppressor. He looked like he knew what he was doing. To me this is a rare sight at the range. Sure as [bleep] he struck up conversation- eager to tell me about his rifle (6.5 creedmoor) and how he works for an elite security company so he can have a suppressor. After a shooting session he comes back with his target and starts taking measurements with a set of calipers. They were good groups. He of course shows them to me and I was confused as to how he got his numbers- until I saw him take more measurements. Dude was taking the center to center measurements of the groups, then subtracting the bullet diameter... I bet he couldn’t wait to tell his buddies

How did you find out?
Dang I didn't know you ate schnitzel and talked about gout.
Why doesn’t the range shut down all shooters while people are walking on the range?
I used to shoot on a pay-to-play public range in the Pawnee Grasslands east of Ft. Collins.

I cannot count the number of times, during a CEASE FIRE, I was downrange gathering a target, and turned around to see half the firing line handling rifles pointed right at me.

It was unhealthy for me in the long run. I tried for weeks to be polite and educate. Lost that patience and starting barking at guys after that for a while. Complained to the "range boss" (that's a lost cause)... It was just a total chit show every time I went there.

Finally joined Liberty Firearm Institute in Johnstown, CO once they opened. Top notch indoor range, haven't looked back.
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Why doesn’t the range shut down all shooters while people are walking on the range?

Each range is a separate range with a 25 foot high burm dividing them. Ranges are probably 40-50 yards apart. It takes a particular effort to walk over to the other range to get them to hold fire but I think that will be my practice from now on. Unfortunately there are no range officers at this range. Just some posted “rules”. Below is an overhead view of the range.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14710636#Post14710636
Lytle creek in Southern California maybe 30 years ago.

Old brass and shotgun shells maybe 30 feet wide running a long ways.

Guys would come up with sks’ and shoot in a circle at a central target.

Another guy has a watermelon in one hand and tries to throw it in the air to shoot it. By the time he gets his hand on the forearm it’s hit the ground 3’ in front of him. So he shoots it there.

Didn’t go back.
Anybody here ever shot at the local range in Brady, Tx? It's out by Brady lake. Man, that place will make you nervous.
Also, nothing more irritating than yahoo’s sitting at the bench right next to you and “ratt,tattt,tattt” with their AR or sks, raining brass all over you when you are trying to shoot for accuracy. I was so tempted to tell a guy next to me to get a brass catcher or choose another shooting bench😡
Seen all kind of dumb stuff done on my range, go to some public ranges too that's were really dangerous stuff goes on
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Also, nothing more irritating than yahoo’s sitting at the bench right next to you and “ratt,tattt,tattt” with their AR or sks, raining brass all over you when you are trying to shoot for accuracy. I was so tempted to tell a guy next to me to get a brass catcher or choose another shooting bench😡

LMAO! Reminds me of high school, I'd just bought my first 10-22. I was taught gun safety well (my father and grandfather put ~80 years combined in the California Highway Patrol).

So I was petrified when my dipchit buddy grabbed my Ruger 10-22 with a 50 round mag out of my hands, and hip-fired the mag empty while swinging the rifle all over, screaming (in a horrible Arnold Schwarzenegger accent)

"ARNIE MOWS DOWN THE FOREST!!!:"

Today, that dipchit friend of mine is a top raking officer in the US Army, a very capable neurosurgeon. Go figure.
I seen people shot on public ranges, that's why I built my own
I am blessed to be able to shoot out to 400 yds from my shooting bench on my back porch . The hillside that is my backstop has chucks on it to keep me in practice some are pretty hard to head shoot and take several tries.
Originally Posted by Trumper
I am blessed to be able to shoot out to 400 yds from my shooting bench on my back porch . The hillside that is my backstop has chucks on it to keep me in practice some are pretty hard to head shoot and take several tries.

Yes love my range, indoor rifle, and pistol out to 100 yards, outdoor range out to 1600 yards, chucks only get heads shots, wish I could import Prairie dogs
© 24hourcampfire