Home
We have more state leaders suffering from the Looney Virus.

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501
http://wdfw.wa.gov/
March 25, 2020
Public Affairs contact: Ben Anderson, 360-480-4465
WDFW closes recreational fishing statewide in wake of governor's order to 'Stay Home, Stay Healthy' in response to COVID-19
OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) today announced its decision to temporarily close recreational fishing and shellfishing statewide in the wake of Washington Gov. Jay Inslee's order directing Washingtonians to stay home and stay healthy to limit the spread of coronavirus/COVID-19.
The closures will begin at midnight Wednesday, March 25 and last until at least 5 p.m. on April 8, 2020. WDFW will re-evaluate on April 6 whether the closure may need to be extended.
"This is not a decision we take lightly, but it's the right thing to do for the health and well-being of Washington's families," said WDFW Director Kelly Susewind. "Monday's extraordinary order for the residents of our state to stay home requires all of us to work together to ensure these measures have the intended effect."
I’m fishing anyway. Prolly go dig clams too.

Fugg ‘em.
What part of the fishing trip creates additional exposure?
It cracks me up when they try this schit. Like when the Fed shuts down over the budget...

“Fed and State parks and lands are closed”

No they are not. Just their (mis)management of it.
I wouldn't sweat it either, in any case please do me a favor. If an officer stops please be polite, don't argue.........the judge will throw the ticket out anyway...............just have fun.
What a bunch of BS. How can sitting in your own boat with your wife out on open water contribute to the spread of China Flu?
This is getting a little absurd.....................WTF are all the states / places that are closing going to do when 2 or even 3 weeks come & go & the infection rate has not dropped? Do another 2-3 weeks of quarantining the country.

People are never going to build an immunity & the country is going to be broken & in a financial shambles.

This is an interesting article on the origin & (lack of) accuracy of the models being used to predict & base outcomes on by all .gov entities.

Sounds very highly politically motivated to me considering who's know to be involved & one really big one not named, but almost certain to be supporting....................ol' Georgie Soros.

From The Federalist

Inacurrate Virus Models

MM
But nothing that happens in Washington surprises me any more..................Demons are all just utter control freaks. They are enjoying this.

MM
I would be more understanding if this was limited crowded salmon charter boats and the like....

But the average guy tossing a line in a stream?

Good lord.
dry run for something bigger. Laying the legal groundwork and setting the precedent.
So sick of the nanny state do-gooders these days
Originally Posted by duck911
I would be more understanding if this was limited crowded salmon charter boats and the like....

Good lord.

Yeah. That’s pretty ridiculous. Hope that doesn’t spread north.
That’s absurd.
Good lord
Fish lives matter
So your in danger settin in a boat in the middle of the Columbia or puget sound....what morons ...glad I left there...
Missouri has suspended fishing licenses....go have fun and free..
Wow.....Just, Wow!

😎
Here in Louisiana we have a Democrat governor. When he issued the stay at home order he actually recommended spending time outdoors.

He is a little more old school democrat, anti abortion, pro gun, but is all for increasing social services.

The boat landing i use is one of the most normal places around.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Combat fishing over the side of a bridge and ensuing fisticuffs.
Grinning
Originally Posted by kennyd
Fish lives matter

YA!

good think we have more lakes than MNR have boats or bodies
Oh for phucqk's sake!
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Good lord.

How are you gonna get all those guys on the Kenai or Russian to maintain their 6 feet? grin
Everything is shutting down!
What's next? Sex?
Originally Posted by akpls
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Good lord.

How are you gonna get all those guys on the Kenai or Russian to maintain their 6 feet? grin

Start uncontrolled coughing?
Next will be sitting alone in ones own home.

How about simple boating? Just keep ones line out of the water.

Are those small highway turn off ranches closed in Nevada?

Absolute BS

If the wind lets up, I'll be sitting in the middle of an alfalfa pivot tomorrow airing out ground squirrels.

Could be the list would be shorter if the powers that be would simply tell us what we can do.
If fishing is suspended no reason to pay any fish cops. Send WDFW Director Kelly Susewind home without pay. And I want a rebate on my fishing license. Fishing suspension would be lifted in 24 hours.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
dry run for something bigger. Laying the legal groundwork and setting the precedent.

“... Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely ...”
Not saying it's right, but here is WDFW's reasoning.

Fishery managers have reported that some anglers have been seen crowding banks as concerns over coronavirus have continued.

“We’ve seen an uptick in outdoor recreation at some locations in recent weeks as people have looked for ways to get outside,” said WDFW Fish Program Director Kelly Cunningham. “We’ve had reports of crowded boat ramps and busy fishing on some rivers, which runs counter to the governor’s direction to stay home and practice social distancing.”

In addition, many salmon and steelhead fisheries require regular monitoring under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), which includes conducting angler interviews at access sites surrounding the state’s marine waters. The on-site, face-to-face nature of angler interviews puts people at potential risk of transmitting the coronavirus. Without such monitoring, these recreational fisheries must close to ensure ESA protections.

They specifically said that:

Hunting seasons currently underway are not impacted by the COVID-19 restrictions at this time. However, please be aware that significant travel is not advised.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Fishery managers have reported that some anglers have been seen crowding banks as concerns over coronavirus have continued.

“We’ve seen an uptick in outdoor recreation at some locations in recent weeks as people have looked for ways to get outside,” said WDFW Fish Program Director Kelly Cunningham. “We’ve had reports of crowded boat ramps and busy fishing on some rivers, which runs counter to the governor’s direction to stay home and practice social distancing.”

In addition, many salmon and steelhead fisheries require regular monitoring under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), which includes conducting angler interviews at access sites surrounding the state’s marine waters. The on-site, face-to-face nature of angler interviews puts people at potential risk of transmitting the coronavirus. Without such monitoring, these recreational fisheries must close to ensure ESA protections.

Hunting seasons currently underway are not impacted by the COVID-19 restrictions at this time. However, please be aware that significant travel is not advised.

Boat launches closed around here yesterday due to a few sunny days and people packing the places and congregating like lemmings no one obeying 6 feet separtaion. Laws for the masses to control the few idiots.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Fugg ‘em.

Do it “Right Proper”....Run a treble and foul hook them fins too...Grins 😂😎
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Fugg ‘em.

Put your black gloves on and go open a can of WHOOP ASS🤓
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

None of it. It's all about seeing how much control they can take, and all they care about is your submission.
Originally Posted by Lennie
What's next? Sex?

Lap Dances? Blow jobs? Commie Bastids
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Fugg ‘em.

I take my gloves off for that...Dontcha watch hockey? Well, used too watch hockey, I meant. 😎
If them SOBs try to ban Motorboating there will be hell to pay!!!

Mr T,

Long time no talk online, hope all is going well up there in the Rock. Are you folks shut down at work and doing the job at home thingy? Stay safe.

When I first saw the title of the thread, the protection of their angler contact folks. I'm not saying it's right, and I'd likely just break the rule myself if something nearby was open, uncrowded, and the fish were biting. But, can you imagine the uproar if one or more of their folks caught this virus and it could be shown they contacted a person fishing with the disease?

Another uproar, someone said they could see shutting down the salmon charters because of a crowded situation on the boats. Wow, sure let Joe Schmo fish from the bank but take money out of the recreational fishing charter fleets wallets. There'd be some serious lobbying in the next session of the Legislature by the boat owners for sure.

Biggest problem is folks don't want to take responsibility and fish apart from others. I've seen the combat fishing in some places, someone on page one got it right. Lines get crossed, folks get uppity, next thing they're rollin' around in the mud, then their buddies join in.

hard to make a rule allowing someone to put their little boat out and go out with their wife or kid, and have that rule stop crowds fishing on the bank like a pack of mongrels.

Good luck WA, I foresee silly Gavin here trying, and likely doing, the same thing. Our trout opener is coming up, it would suck, but it may not stop me.

You WA folks, steelhead fishing should be going on now right? let's hope there's a benefit in more spawning escapement, less mortality of "native" fish, and maybe the hatcheries will give away excess returns to you license holder.

Going to be a bummer if this lasts into shad season though. All them folks lined up below John Day will be pissed.

Geno
But if it saves just one senior citizen....
Originally Posted by Salty303

Boat launches closed around here yesterday due to a few sunny days and people packing the places and congregating like lemmings no one obeying 6 feet separtaion. Laws for the masses to control the few idiots.

BC too, eh Salty?

frown frown

Geno

Fugg ‘em.

I take my gloves off for that...Dontcha watch hockey? Well, used too watch hockey, I meant. 😎

Fugg,

you had to go and remind me.

I have the DVR set to "record series" for the Sharks pre game shows. I guess one was scheduled last night or something, saw it in the lineup, hoping they at least had some HOCKEY news or something. .........HA, some sorta scheidt about Formula One racing or such.

Stop reminding me that my beloved HOCKEY is not being played now, not even college games, International, or anything.

I'm about to resort to watching old games over again that are still on the DVR.

I'm Jonesing here bro. I need a fix!

GEno
Can’t have you out there jabbing hooks into the little fishy’s mouths, now can we? 😡
Pears 🍐 sent....😬😎
Unenforceable. Everyone has the right to LIFE, LIBERTY and the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS.
What's next? Sex?

Don't joke, might come true
Originally Posted by MAC
Unenforceable. Everyone has the right to LIFE, LIBERTY and the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS.

That's just more "usta haves"..................you're a little behind & need to catch up.

MM
What's next? Sex?

Cockdown.
What's next? Sex?

Lap Dances? Blow jobs? Commie Bastids

Hey, go to Potlandia, the strippers will deliver you some hot wings at least.

Might even get a dance out of them for a coupla rolls of TP.

Geno
Portland used to have some of the best strip clubs. So I have been told.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Portland used to have some of the best strip clubs. So I have been told.

One thing Oregon did right....
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Salty303

BC too, eh Salty?

frown frown

Geno

Pretty much at any public boat launch that would be signed from the highway, yep, closed as far as I know. However there are many other spots to launch a boat that aren't on the map and don't draw crowds, all good wink
I told you guys days ago fish were carriers cry

Mr T,

Long time no talk online, hope all is going well up there in the Rock. Are you folks shut down at work and doing the job at home thingy? Stay safe.

When I first saw the title of the thread, the protection of their angler contact folks. I'm not saying it's right, and I'd likely just break the rule myself if something nearby was open, uncrowded, and the fish were biting. But, can you imagine the uproar if one or more of their folks caught this virus and it could be shown they contacted a person fishing with the disease?

Another uproar, someone said they could see shutting down the salmon charters because of a crowded situation on the boats. Wow, sure let Joe Schmo fish from the bank but take money out of the recreational fishing charter fleets wallets. There'd be some serious lobbying in the next session of the Legislature by the boat owners for sure.

Biggest problem is folks don't want to take responsibility and fish apart from others. I've seen the combat fishing in some places, someone on page one got it right. Lines get crossed, folks get uppity, next thing they're rollin' around in the mud, then their buddies join in.

hard to make a rule allowing someone to put their little boat out and go out with their wife or kid, and have that rule stop crowds fishing on the bank like a pack of mongrels.

Good luck WA, I foresee silly Gavin here trying, and likely doing, the same thing. Our trout opener is coming up, it would suck, but it may not stop me.

You WA folks, steelhead fishing should be going on now right? let's hope there's a benefit in more spawning escapement, less mortality of "native" fish, and maybe the hatcheries will give away excess returns to you license holder.

Going to be a bummer if this lasts into shad season though. All them folks lined up below John Day will be pissed.

Geno

Yes sir.....glad to see you posting.
How how can you protect one person's rights without stomping on others? It's the eternal question. Gotta make tough decisions sometimes and conspiracy theories will be made, on both sides of the aisle.

We're teleworking as much as we can, but some things we can't do virtually. We're managing though.
What's next? Sex?

Already illegal, unless with a member of your household.... or you have a six footer... wink.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by MAC

That's just more "usta haves"..................you're a little behind & need to catch up.

MM

Wrong. I didn't spend more than 25 years in uniform just to see everything tossed aside. Maybe you're turning over. I'm not.
Sorry................I should have used the sarcasm icon.

I thought you'd catch that, but I guess you are just behind the curve after all.

MM
Originally Posted by Dutch
What's next? Sex?

Already illegal, unless with a member of your household.... or you have a six footer... wink.

You know this is the 'fire, right? We all have 6-footers....
Gov there has got to be under a lot of pressure. His/her State started the mess. No telling what he/she will ban next. I'm not saying, just saying......

Go fishing......
State workers will get paid for not working. Joe-Public gets screwed.

Per the public employees' unions, "what's the problem"???
Go to you tube and watch, We are living the 12 monkeys. It tells why and what is going to happen with this pandemic. It is all about a means to an end. The cure is worse than the virus. The complete control of us.

Mr T,

Geno

Yes sir.....glad to see you posting.
How how can you protect one person's rights without stomping on others? It's the eternal question. Gotta make tough decisions sometimes and conspiracy theories will be made, on both sides of the aisle.

We're teleworking as much as we can, but some things we can't do virtually. We're managing though.

Awfully hard to do site visits "online" even with the sat tech available today.

take care,

Geno
Meanwhile in Missouri, starting Friday, no fishing license needed for like the next 3 weeks or some such.
These are the type politicians that believe he/she was elected God or King...
Lennie: I knew there was a reason I packed up and moved out of "taxington".
Hope this crap ends soon for you "web-toed" folks.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
This is absurd but it fits in with that nut y'all have for governor. I saw that guy in the Dem primaries, what a liberal nutcake.

Sadly he couldn't stand up to political powerhouses like Biden and Commie Bernie, your governor had to drop out.
Lets hope this Washington State order is not contagious to the other states.
they're not allowing fishing from the shore here.
I live in Washington, near some of the best fishing in the world (the mid and upper Cowlitz River, the mouth of the Toutle, the Green, the Columbia, etc.) Anyway...

My guess as to why they closed fishing is that it is a "commuter sport." You go where the fish are. Everybody goes to where the fish are. People come to my county from all over Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. They stop at restaurants, gas stations, the local WalMart, motels, and campgrounds. And when they fish, they stand in combat lines about 4 feet from each other.

Given that the virus is so easily spread (living even 2 days on a piece of paper) and that it can be spread by people NOT showing symptoms, the trick in beating it is to contain it. You simply have to NOT spread it; then you just wait it out and let it run its course in the people that have it. On paper it's pretty easy. Now, back to fishing and fishermen...

I used to be a fishing addict. I would combat fish at Blue Creek and run my Wooldridge sled up and down the Cowlitz every weekend. The vast majority of fishermen are pretty rough and tumble--they're gonna do what they want. They ARE NOT going to assist in containing the COVID-19 virus. Berate me all you want, but it ain't gonna happen. So people who come from all over are going to interact, share the virus, and then some poor schlubs are going to take it back to wherever they came from, and SHAZAM...new outbreaks--which means the containment procedures have to start all over, just in a new area. At that rate, it will never be contained.

People not helping curb the spread of the virus is the major problem right now. Banning fishing is just one more attempt to stop spreading it. Do I like fishing being banned? NO! Heck no! But...I can give it up for 3 weeks to stop the virus. I have given up shooting at my private club, Saturday coffee with da boyz, taking my daughters horseback riding with their friends, visiting my elderly parents, etc. etc. Fishing is easy to put on hold for a short period of time. (And no, I'm not a lib.)
© 24hourcampfire